The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2003, 07:00 PM   #1
FingolfintheBold
Haunting Spirit

FingolfintheBold has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to FingolfintheBold
Sting A timeless classic...

Isnt the Lord of the Rings great? I mean, what other story (besides the Bible) has as much timeless truth and amazing heros, and presents humanity in such a stunning way? Think of all the great inter-woven stories, like Numenor and Elvenhome and Middle-earth itself?
"Tall ships and Tall kings, three times three, What brought them from the foundered land, over the flowing sea? Seven stars and seven stones and one white tree."
Isnt that great? and there is so much in there that just stirs your heart. Who here wouldnt love for a shot at middle-earth ( given that you could decide which of your favorite races and skills you would be...I certainly cant decide bettween a sorrowful/gay elven warrior and the stouthearted Dunedain)
I dont know what I want anyone to answer to this, but i just wanted to send it out there.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:52 PM   #2
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Who here wouldnt love for a shot at middle-earth
I love your post and am glad to see you so passionate, but as to this question ... I don't know, ME seems pretty nasty and dangerous to me. As far as ages to live in, I think the one we got here is pretty good. You keep the swords, I'll keep the computers and cell phones.

H.C.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:25 AM   #3
tifo_gcs
Haunting Spirit

tifo_gcs has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I'd certainly like to be a Ranger. Long journeys in the wilderness using all your senses and your brains to hunt unseen creatures of the dark. Then returning to civilization after months abroad for a pipe and a pint at the local inn. And this aura of mystery and to some extent danger that others percieve around you.
But you'ld learn a thing or seven about fear. Being a ranger is no easy task. You need as much mental strength as physical strength. On the positive side, imagine all the things you'ld know that are never mentioned in the books by Tolkien. All the knowledge, and the inheritance of Numenor that you carry with you though diminsihed. To me, the ranger is the "romantic hero" character in Lord of the Rings, epitomized of course by Aragorn who ultimately gets the princess and the kingdom.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:15 PM   #4
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would be an elven ranger. That would be awesome to roam middle earth fighting orcs. I would like to meet Galadriel and Samwise.

~Burzdol~
Old 04-08-2003, 09:08 PM   #5
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Really puts you into a trance, doesn't it? Sadly, I'm past that point of appreciation of Tolkien. Lately, the greatest pleasure I've gotten out of him has been the debate of nonsensically detailed topics that usually end up without much result... It has been fairly good practice though.

Iarwain

P.S. Off to bed... I hate Daylight Savings Time, someday I'll relocate to a more moderate state...
Old 04-09-2003, 10:03 AM   #6
Son of Fire
Animated Skeleton

Son of Fire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Son of Fire
Silmaril

Well, if I was in Middle Earth, i'd want to be either an elf or a dwarf or maybe Jon the half elf half dwarf. This would be rather strange, but that's really the best of both worlds: immortality, strength, finesse, power, wealth, craftmanship, etc. Also, i would have wanted to be around for all of the history and a loremaster, not some uneducated fool. To know all of the history would be otally awesome. HMMM, maybe a vala would be a good thing to be, or maya or istar, but dwarves are so awesome. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2003, 09:34 PM   #7
Vardamar
Haunting Spirit

Vardamar has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

You want to be a great M-E warrior, and fight against the Orcs. That is until you get hurt-killed-captured by them. War-Fighting is not fun, and usually doesn’t end happily. Just think of all those poor nameless Men, Elves and Dwarfs who never came back to their homes [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

On the other part of this topic, one other series is (almost) as deep as LOTR. Dune by Frank Herbert. Shows wonderfully how power corrupts
Old 04-10-2003, 09:28 AM   #8
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Since this discussion is more about personal ideas than an in-depth book discussion, I'm moving this thread to the Novices and Newcomers forum. Please continue there.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 10:33 AM   #9
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It is a timeless classic. But there are many timeless classics. Dickens created many fascinating characters, as did CS Lewis. But as far as detail is concerned, Tolkien wins hands down (that is, until my books are written...)
If I found myself in Middle Earth, i would have a hard job choosing between a Lady of Rohan and a Lady of Gondor (most likely i'd choose Gondor). Or perhaps i would have a more filling life, with more than one role. Im a female half-elven ranger who settles down in Gondor and marries the steward. (or king, depending on which time i choose. Most likely the war of the ring period, as its quite a hectic time with so much happening. although some great stuff happened earlier.)
Old 04-10-2003, 02:07 PM   #10
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think also that LOTR is a timeless classic. It is deffinatly the book i have and always will read and like the most out of any other book in all time. If i was in middle earth i would like to be a Ranger of the Dunedain and actually fight allong side Aragorn and the other Dunedain on the Pellenor fields and outside the gates of Mordor. For the rest of my life i would simply like to travel around in the willderness like other Rangers and try to visit most places in middle-earth.
Old 04-12-2003, 03:44 AM   #11
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree that LOTR is a timeless classic and I love it. I don't think I've read any other book that has drawn me in as deep as LOTR has. (I'm getting a horrible feeling that someone will post: well you haven't read much have you Beruthiel?)

Anyway, if I had my choice I'd live in the Shire and be a peaceloving hobbitlass, forgetting the troubles of the world outside. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2003, 07:17 AM   #12
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Beruthiel, finally, someone after my own heart! A Hobbit. The only sensible thing to be! Going for long walks, reading old books, sitting & smoking Old Toby. I don't trust all these folk, wanting to be running off, having adventures!
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 04:32 AM   #13
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

No offense to the hobbit lovers among us but, I think that I would get bored as a hobbit (unless I was an adventurous Took), so I'd rather be an elf. I could still be peace-loving, and when I get weary of Middle Earth, just simply sail away to the Undying Lands. Not to mention all the elvish perks like strength, speed, agility, killer eye sight and good looks etc.
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 09:43 AM   #14
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i get bored easily. o would probably be a dwarf they have all the best adventures!
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 11:58 PM   #15
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

Location: Wellington, New Zealand (Middle-Earth Baby Yeah!!!)
Frodo 007 has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Id give anything to live in Middle-Earth!Its like my dream to live there!*dreams of being an Elf*
Old 04-30-2003, 12:38 PM   #16
Atariel
Haunting Spirit

Atariel has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

It's actually quite hard for me to decide what I'd want to be. The majority of me screams 'Elf! Live forever, never smell, never get fat, have vast vat of knowledge, live somewhere like Rivendell!' another part of me says 'Be a Hobbit. You get to live in a pretty little land, with pretty little hills and fields, drinking beer in your pretty little local pub, and chasing away ugly little orcs.' I wouldn't like to be a dwarf. (I always thought there were dwarf-women, but that whole Viggo Mortenson 'It's the beard' thing in the Two Towers film has kind of put me off.) But I wouldn't mind living in Rohan, if you get to ride around in the long, green grass all day on your lovely horse- not side-saddle!- and if the music there is as gorgeous as it is in the film. ALSO, you wouldn't get branded for being blonde, becuase EVERYONE'S blonde!
Old 04-30-2003, 01:24 PM   #17
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Quote:
No offense to the hobbit lovers among us but, I think that I would get bored as a hobbit (unless I was an adventurous Took), so I'd rather be an elf. I could still be peace-loving, and when I get weary of Middle Earth, just simply sail away to the Undying Lands.
My thoughts exactly. Elves have always fascinated me immensely, and I would certainly love to be one. You have infinite wisdom (well, comparitively), peaceful times, sad songs at night, dancing in moonlight... nah, I can't dance or sing. I sing like a gorilla and I dance like an elephant. But I probably could if I were an Elf [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Just altoether, being an Elf seems like the best thing to me, I'm nnot really sure why. I love the Sea... Not the reason, that just came off the top of my head, but there are so many reasons for ebing an Elf, that that's what I'll be. In my next life, anyway [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~Menelien
Old 05-01-2003, 06:20 AM   #18
Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien
Haunting Spirit

Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien
Sting

I would definately be an Elf and live in a pretty little place like Rivendell or Lothlorien. I would roam the lands several leagues from there and bring news of the outside world to my kin.
"And he sang to them, now in the Elven tongue, now in the speech of the West, until their hearts, wounded with sweet words, overflowed, and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness."
Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 12:56 PM   #19
Annúnlótëiel
Animated Skeleton

Annúnlótëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I strongly belive that LOTR is classic. First of all it is timeless. People can red it 100 years from now and still relate, which doesn't happen to books that occur in present day becuase the thought and Ideas reflected in most mainstream writing go only skin deep into what most people want to read for entertainment. LOTR on the other hand conatains truths and insights to humanity that have existed since the beginning of man and will exist 'till it's end. Things like, loyalty, honor, love, and suffering. All these things are felt by people no matter what time and place they are living in. In order for a book to be a classic it must "stand the test of time" and I belive LOTR does.

Anyhow...I would love to live in ME. I don't think i would mind at all not having cell phones or computer. I mean there are many things we have today true...but at the same time there are many things I feel our society has lost, things which are present in LOTR. For example, the importance of family, and honor in ones heritage. The importance of history is something I greatly appreciate in LOTR (most people today could care less about history but in LOTR everyone is facinated about stories of the past). Also just the way of life. I mean today everyone is moving so fats sometimes you don't get to enjoy life as much as you want. In LOTR people seem to know how to live, to enjoy nature (esspecially) and to enjoy being with one another. (Sure I know it isn't all good when there is a WaR but when there isn't a war...)Jst the traditons that LOTR has that are lost topday are really great. I don't know it just seems to me we have lost many things that LOTR still shows and there fore I enjoy reading and experiencing things that if I asked people to do with me they may be like "what?" (for example, lets just take a walk, lets have tea...ect.)

As for what race I would be. Well I think i would be an elf. Not becuase I like thier abilities or looks, but becuase my personality fits with them closer than other races. I like angst and I like to live in the past and I like to appreciate nature. Also it is cool how elves can just be and don't need much food or sleep...they are just really mysterious and intriguing.

Oh well. ^-^

sigo mi corazón
Annúnlótëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 11:52 AM   #20
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hey Findorfinth!

Thank you so much for you passionate and bright post. I must say I agree with you. LOTR is timeless and Tolkien was a maker of masterpieces. Not many peopel can think of ideas, twists, stories, etc like he does. LOTR is the only tale of it's kind. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote