The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2003, 10:08 PM   #81
Lady_Galadriel
Wight

Lady_Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lady_Galadriel
Tolkien

For Christmas I got some LOTR action figures, you know the ones I'm talking about (I got the gollum, aragorn and brego, merry and an orc,) and the LOTR monopoly game...

Also for my last birthday I got the Gandalf action figure and the LOTR Risk game and the FOTR cd cardz, and the FOTR movie soundtrack...

LOTR presents rock!!!
Old 12-28-2006, 06:42 AM   #82
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Ah, I knew we had a thread on this topic somewhere in the depths of the forum! I'd like to add three audio versions of Tolkien's works that I got for Christmas this year:

The Hobbit, LotR, and Tales of the Perilous Realm, all in English, the BBC productions! I very much look forward to listening.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:18 AM   #83
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Silmaril

nothing LOTR, but enough money to be able to purchase LOTR stuff myself
Old 12-28-2006, 10:48 AM   #84
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
Ah, I knew we had a thread on this topic somewhere in the depths of the forum! I'd like to add three audio versions of Tolkien's works that I got for Christmas this year:

The Hobbit, LotR, and Tales of the Perilous Realm, all in English, the BBC productions! I very much look forward to listening.
LotR - with that fabulous intro music! We keep saying we must sit down for a whole day and listen to that over again.

Strangely, no Tolkien for me this year because we have already got just about everything (sounds like a boast but it actually feels quite sad that there's not much to hunt down apart from special editions etc) but I did find a copy of Tolkien Studies 3 for davem, and also an old collected William Morris (not Tolkien, but of interest to fans!) in an antiquarian bookshop by York Minster.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:51 PM   #85
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
1420!

Well, I finally got hold of The Road to Middle Earth by Tom Shippey. I've been constantly borrowing one from the Library for a while, so it was nice to actually get one.
Also, I got The Two Towers Complete Recordings. Is good!

I didn't really get it this year, but I have The Battle for Middle Earth for the PC. I've not been able to play it until this Christmas when we at last got a computer that it would work on. Despite the fact that I was constantly saying how much this probably isn't what Tolkien had in mind, I found myself playing it for five hours straight.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:34 PM   #86
Damrod
Animated Skeleton

Damrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Damrod
I got the ROTK movie, EE. Now I can see what all this Witch-King fighting Gandalf nonsense is about. Nothing Tolkien other than that, but I think I'll buy a certain couple of miniaturized Gondorians.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:26 AM   #87
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
I got a pretty cool Tolkien 2007 calendar! Yay!
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:03 PM   #88
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I guess I could count my musical ticket .... and I was tempted to spend some of my present money on LOTR monopoly but noone would play with me I'm sure .....

Oh the radio version is wonderful ... maybe I'll do that on New Year's Day Lal ..play it all through... I wore out my original tape of the incidental music so I had to buy the Children's edition of the tapes to get it again (with Oz, wine buff Clark, singing Sam's songs as well as the Rohan laments (which were sung by Bill Nighy in the broadcasts). The Counter tenor soloist is quite well known as a member of the Hilliard Ensemble which you may have heard of Esty, since you are musical.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:18 PM   #89
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm pleased it's Oz Clark and not the barking mad Gilly Goulden (what happened to her?).

There's a fair old cast of stars in the radio version. Ian Holm as Frodo, Michael Hordern as Gandalf (I loved him for doing Paddington!), John Le Mesurier as Bilbo, Peter Vaughan as Denethor (fabulous actor!), Simon Cadell as Celeborn (also seen in Hi-De-Hi!), Robert Stephens as Aragorn. Oh and James Grout as Butterbur, who sounds identical in his role as the policeman in The Box Of Delights - watched that through just before Christmas, it's wonderful.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:31 PM   #90
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Yes.... Peter Vaughan is wonderful as Denethor ... Jack May who was Theoden was Nelson Gabriel in the Archers too ...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:17 PM   #91
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Merry Christmas one and all! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ......My most prized Tolkien-related Christmas present is The Letters of JRR Tolkien, from my wife, which I have wanted for a very long time.

Now that's love-- a truly great gift.

Oh, and the book is a prize too!

Monopoly game recipients: do you like it? I'm considering...
Old 12-29-2006, 09:14 PM   #92
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
I was excited about getting a new page-a-day calendar (from the movies) for 2007...I had one in 2004 and 2005 and really enjoyed them. Last year I said to myself...."get a life!" enough LoTRs movie stills ....so I got a boring garden page a day. Hated it!
So..... I got excited when I saw a movie calendar page-a-day box at the mall. But when I opened it up...each page has a very large, dumb ring....smack dab in the center (with the date # inside the ring ).....365 big rings bleah! Plus ...the pictures were rather dark and grainy...not beautiful like 2004 and 2005 calendars I had. Maybe I should look on the internet....
Old 12-30-2006, 02:22 AM   #93
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Get the big format monthly calendar - illustrated by Alan Lee, it's lovely! And if you want something on your desk, get the matching desk diary.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:46 AM   #94
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
[QUOTE=Lalwendë]Get the big format monthly calendar - illustrated by Alan Lee, it's lovely![QUOTE]I and my sister got it too (from Noggie). It's really beautiful and lovely indeed.

I also got a few of HoME. My friend gave me The Lays of Beleriand and my father and his parents gave me both of Lost Tales, The Lost Road, Morgoth's Ring and War of the Jewels. Now I have something to read!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:50 AM   #95
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
I'm not sure if we can advertise (and I don't work for them) - but if anyone wnats a late christmas prezzie and they haven't got it, then woolworths (in enlgand) are selling the ROTK extended edition for £3.99. Bargain!

Almost bought one (even though I've got it) cos my 8 year old keeps nicking my copy to watch on his dvd player!

PS - I got nothing LOTR related, but my boy got a load of Games Workshop figures (inlcuding the Mumakil at £50 for a bit of plastic! ) that I'm having to put together and paint for him...........
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:04 PM   #96
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
A few of my suitemates were thoughtful enough to give me a collector's edition card of Aragorn, as well as a copy of Unfinished Tales. I was quite excited- especially about the latter.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:29 PM   #97
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I got:
Two books from the HoME
One poster (I have 5 that I am not using already)
and just before christmas my mom had been in Germany and brought me a small 2007-lotr calender

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:08 AM   #98
Amras Oronar

Amras Oronar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Amras Oronar
Well technicly I didn't get it for Christmas because I don't get presents at all for Christmas But for a Dutch very simulair thing called Sinterklaas (click http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas for more information)

I got Unfinished Tales, including a Tolkien quiz book (with over 1000 questions ) and The History Of Middle Earth volumes 1, 2 and 3, so that means The Book Of Lost Tales pt. 1 and pt. 2 and The Lays Of Beleriand.
Amras Oronar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:14 PM   #99
Calan
Pile O'Bones

Calan has just left Hobbiton.
Found myself with a copy of the Silmarillon, and the 'best of the Brothers Hildebrandt' calendar for '07 - January is Goldberry. And I still have to work through the HoME books I got last year, too!
Calan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:24 AM   #100
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Ha ha! Those Hildebrandt bros are something....do you like it? (the calendar?) I'd like to see a Mucha http://www.bpib.com/illustrat/mucha.htm Goldberry......but he's long dead....so maybe I should attempt it. This whole calendar thing has me so bugged, I am half tempted to make my own......