The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2002, 07:30 PM   #41
Daisy Sandybanks
Wight

Daisy Sandybanks has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daisy Sandybanks Send a message via Yahoo to Daisy Sandybanks
Pipe

Hmmm, well I mayself do not have anyriends who act that wat. But, then again, my friends slowly back away from me when I start babbling about LotR.
Myself, well, I guess you could say that I'm half 'n half. I absoluly love the movie vesion of LotR, but only for its fabulous special effects and scenery, and not for its 'hot' cast.
I was one of the many that read the books after the movie came out, and I can go for hours on end chatting up a storm with one of my best friends who also enjoys thoughs kind of discussions, though, she has only read the first two chapters of FotR.
Yes, it does bug me just a bit when someone exclaims how 'hot' or 'sexy' Legolas/Orlando is, but, I try not to judge to fast, people will think what they want to.
Thats just my little say so in this.

[ June 21, 2002: Message edited by: Daisy Sandybanks ]
Old 06-22-2002, 01:26 PM   #42
merlilot
Wight

merlilot has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I hope all six of those don't have to apply...I had never heard of LOTR before I went into the bookstore in the mall with my friend on NOV 24, 2001 (!) and saw the books. Turns out I had read The Hobbit and loved it, was afraid I had wasted $35 on the trilogy in case I didn't like it, read the first chapter and never regretting buying the boxed set instead of the shirt at the store next door since.
I like LOTR because of other reasons (like the whole friendship thing!), but Elijah, Orlando, Sean, Dominic, Billy, Viggo, Hugo, etc, etc, etc, don't hurt at all. Aspiring actresses love movies for the acting talent represented, as well as the story itself. (and most of them aren't too bad to look at, either!)
Umm, languages...well, I'm working on it. But it's hard to learn Quenya and Sindarin at the same time as French and Spanish. If I ever do become fluent, I will be profiecient in 5 languages, and that's what keeps me going!
I have read the books, the question is which ones? I have read the trilogy and the hobbit 12 times (since Nov), the Sil, Unfinished Tales and The Book of Lost Tales part 2 all once. Is that good enough?

By the way, how do you guys get the colour of the letters to change?
Old 06-22-2002, 02:15 PM   #43
MallornLeaf
Haunting Spirit

MallornLeaf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MallornLeaf
Silmaril

<font color="white">I'm glad I'm not alone! All of my friends roll their eyes and yell at me everytime i even mention ANYTHING related to lotr. and for the most part their serious, too, at first they just rolled their eyes, but now some ppl don't like me (to some extent)just b/c of lotr! yes they would deffinately say I'm obsessed. Although, lotr is not constantly on my mind, so, i don't consider myself quite obsessed. I've read the 4 main books all like 4 or 5 times (I lost exact count) and the other books between 1-3.

on a side note, to do colors, fo red, for instance, you would put <*font color="red"*> and the to end that color, put <*/font*> only don't use the stars. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

"I pass the test, I will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel."
MallornLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2002, 02:23 PM   #44
merlilot
Wight

merlilot has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<font color="green">You mean like this?

[ June 22, 2002: Message edited by: merlilot ]
Old 06-23-2002, 06:31 AM   #45
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

<font color=red> [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I can write in colour now!
Old 07-02-2002, 06:00 PM   #46
Uialellethwen
Animated Skeleton

Location: The Depths of Her Insane Mind, British Columbia, Canada
Uialellethwen has just left Hobbiton.
  • Yeah, I have a lot of friends who are so annoying. They just don't understand that I don't like LOTR because of the "hot" cast, but because -I really don't know why- it's an awesome and amazing story.

Loving LOTR is a "geeky" thing. I just don't get it. It's not like I walk around wearing a pocket-protector or anything like that. I am just a "geek" or a "freak" because I love LOTR. I love it so much that I have read the book twice (including appendix, glossary, etc) and seen the film 22 times. Maybe it was 23. I kind of lost count...

Not all my friends are like that, though. My good friends are understanding. Very understanding.

Just so you know how I am, here is a comic strip. Just think of me as Rosie, and the number of times as 23.

Comic Strip
Old 07-02-2002, 06:08 PM   #47
NazgulNumber10
Wight

NazgulNumber10 has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

<font color=green>is this it?
[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
NazgulNumber10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 06:34 PM   #48
Aragorn Husband of Arwen
Animated Skeleton

Aragorn Husband of Arwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I personally am not, "Obsessed" with LOTR. I find a very cool series of books and sub-books (Lost Tales for example). Its a good movie, and I will be seeing the other 2, probably a couple times.

I do have friends that are Obsessed, why they find nothing wrong with it, I for some reason have a problem with it. Obsessed...is just a word I don't like saying because, to me, if I'm called obsessed with something, I'm offended.

Going to talk Christain real quick so non-Christains, please don't be offended.

The reason I believe I don't like the word "obsessed" is because, take LOTR for example. I wish to know why one is Obsessed with LOTR, yet not talking about our Lord Jesus Christ? Why aren't we saying that reminds me of that guy in the Bible...whats his name? How many times have you read the Bible?

I know personally I'm not like that, but you understand what I'm saying I hope. I hope no one takes offense by this.
Old 07-04-2002, 04:34 AM   #49
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

Silmaril

<font color=white> Ok, Aragorn, i hear what you're saying, but I don't think Christianity really comes into this topic. Obsessed is just a word. As for not having read the Bible, no offence but it does get a bit tedious and repetitive sometimes. Lord of the Rings is for enjoyment although it has so much depth to it as well.

As to the actual topic, is there any such thing as a true fan? How do we decide? Do we have the right to decide? Is there a line you can draw? Personally I don't really think so. I think that you should actually have read the book, maybe not the Sil. or UT, but have at least some depth of understanding. Perhaps see it as more than JUST a story. (i do...sometimes it seems scarily real and i can't snap out of it...yes i know i need therapy..)

So I don't think there are any rules for true fandom. Of course if you only like the movie for that 'hottie elf' then i wouldn't consider you a fan myself...but anyway.

~*Varda Elentari*~
Old 07-04-2002, 11:43 AM   #50
maleliel
Animated Skeleton

maleliel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I agree with Varda. I sometimes get so involved in the story that I believe its real too!!! So if you need therapy Varda then I do to!!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2002, 08:39 PM   #51
Calencoire
Haunting Spirit

Calencoire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Calencoire
Silmaril

If you mean obsessed like teen girls screaming for Orli and only watching him in the movie, then no i'm not obsessed. If you mean that I totally admire the books and all the characters and everything, then yes, i am. How could anyone not be? And I'm about the only one in my school who likes LOTR so much and takes it seriously. The only place where i can talk about about LOTR without people lokking at me like I'm wierd is BD. *sniff* Oh well, at least here there are intelligent people who like everything about the book, and not just the actors.
Old 07-06-2002, 02:46 PM   #52
Calathanien
Pile O'Bones

Calathanien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Calathanien
The Eye

hey! i'm new at this so please don't hate me!
i get angry to when i have to explain to all my mates who Tom is! all my friends take the mic cos i have read lotr 2 times and am on my 3erd time of reading it they say "your stupid and obsessed" its so anoying just cos i like it! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
namarie [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
ps i am sorry if this is stupid but as i said i have never left any mgs before [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2002, 02:53 PM   #53
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

Silmaril

<font color=white> Welcome to the Downs Calathanien! Have fun!

~*Varda Elentari*~
Old 07-06-2002, 04:38 PM   #54
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

To rephrase my point in short, I don't think anyone can classify another as a "true" fan. A fan is a fan, however they choose to show it.
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote