The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2003, 07:46 AM   #1
Mordor_Queen
Haunting Spirit

Mordor_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye ***ROLEPLAYING***

Does anyone know how to do the roleplaying bit in the Forums cos I don't understand it? [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2003, 09:00 AM   #2
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressië Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressië Ailin
Question

Read this first. Then you can go to the Green Dragon Inn, in chracter. Every now and then in the Green Dragon, you'll see piosenniel post about the opening of a new RPG.
Eressië Ailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 03:33 AM   #3
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Come down to the Shire and read the first topic listed 'The Red Book of Westmarch' - it will give you all the guidelines for posting in the Shire.

Then create an interesting character for yourself, and come into 'The Green Dragon Part 3' topic and introduce your character as if he/she had just arrived at the Inn. Be very descriptive and let us see what you are like as a writer.

Read the posts on the most current page of the Green Dragon to get a sense of what some of the other characters are doing (there's no fixed plot, just a lot of interacting within the confines of the Inn) - once you've introduced your character, then you can see if you can interact with the other characters.

We have new games opening up for play - but we encourage new Gamers to post first in the Inn.

Hope to see you there! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~~ Piosenniel (Pio) Shire Moderator and Innkeeper

(You may also see Child of the 7th Age there as Cami - she is also a Shire Moderator)
Old 03-22-2003, 01:58 PM   #4
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

any tips for breaking into it? everyone seems to have a story going. It's hard to shove your way into an ongoing plot.
Old 03-22-2003, 05:32 PM   #5
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Have your character walk into the Inn. That way, there is a reason for them to have no clue what is going on, but they can observe ongoing discussions and participate by asking questions. For example, you could start:

(Insert Name Here) walked into the Inn, weary from his/her travels. He/she pulled back his/her hood and observed the others who sat drinking. In a corner....
Old 03-22-2003, 06:08 PM   #6
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

When a game is starting there'll be a note in the Inn thread, there's one looking for characters now, I think.

*Laughing at self* I'm a little new to be giving out advice, however, since it was me about a week ago asking the same questions. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] It's not too hard though, just don't expect to always be able to play the same character, you might be an elf at the Green Dragon, but when you find a game you might play a hobbit or a dwarf... 'tis great fun.
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 11:27 PM   #7
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I had no idea what RPG was before I came to BD. Its lots of fun if you have the time and talent (which unfortunately I haven't got). You start in the Green Dragon and make up a character, get talking to people and have fun! Then you can join a proper one where your character has to accomplish something in the story.

Eleanor Niphredil - I know what you mean! I've been to the Green Dragon about 3 times but I always leave again because my character is just sitting in a corner doing nothing! I've returned to it again...we'll see what happens!