The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
"Chomsky's comments on L.o.t.R."

A nice piece of satire
http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2003/04/23fellowship.html
Quote:
One of the problems with the perspective offered by the Man-Elf coalition is that you have to try so hard to get at the truth of the conflict, at what is really going on; it's so obscured by their propaganda and relentless militarism. I mean, here we have swords being distributed to the Hobbits by Strider so they can protect themselves against these "evil creatures." Now, in this case, it's probably warranted, though the "evil creatures" are looking for the ring in their own individual self-interest. They're behaving in a purely rational way.

Last edited by Raynor; 02-02-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynor View Post
I've always disliked Chomsky, so it's nice to see him satirized. He's a linguistics professor who's done nothing over the years but attempt to punch above his intellectual weight in fields about which he knows nothing.

It's no surprise that he's had such a following of twits like Hugo Chavez.

Last edited by Andsigil; 01-29-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
The only thing I saw missing was a swipe at the imperialistic, materialistic West for having the temerity to withhold the Ring from its rightful owner in the first place. Sauron made it!

And the poor, mischaracterised Balrog!

Quote:
Zinn: Once again you see a creature that's on fire being demonized in this movie: the flaming eye, the flaming Balrog. As though being on fire is this terrible affliction to have.

Chomsky: As though they can help it if they're on fire.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:25 AM   #4
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Quote:
He's a linguistics professor who's done nothing over the years but attempt to punch above his intellectual weight in fields about which he knows nothing.
Well, I would love to engage in a debate with you over that, but unfortunately this is not the forum to do so
Old 02-02-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Well, I would love to engage in a debate with you over that, but unfortunately this is not the forum to do so
Oh come on, that's a cheap excuse!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:53 AM   #6
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
I cordially dislike Chomsky as well. Hmmm...perhaps cordially ignore him would be more appropriate. Therefore, reading a debate between you and Inzil, although most likely highly entertaining, would go against my self-imposed interdict regarding Chomsky.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andsigil View Post
I've always disliked Chomsky, so it's nice to see him satirized. He's a linguistics professor who's done nothing over the years but attempt to punch above his intellectual weight in fields about which he knows nothing.

So are you a hawkish, nationalistic nutjob, or have you simply not read any Chomsky?
Old 02-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #8
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

I'm preparing a thread drawing parallels between ME authoritarian systems and real world ones, where Chomsky's observations might be relevant. I would beg some patience and saving our ammunition for that, while we let people enjoy this thread for what it is, a satire one
Old 02-04-2010, 07:17 AM   #9
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420!

Quote:
I'm preparing a thread drawing parallels between ME authoritarian systems and real world ones, where Chomsky's observations might be relevant. I would beg some patience and saving our ammunition for that, while we let people enjoy this thread for what it is, a satire one
Eagerly anticipating that one. I think the books needs to be pulled from the relative slumber with some heat.

Edit: Oh I see it's already up...
Old 02-04-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
PrinceOfTheHalflings
Wight

PrinceOfTheHalflings is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:

Chomsky is considered to be one of the foremost linguistic theorists ... ever. Linguistics was where I first encountered his work - long before I ever knew about his politics.

Having a Chomsky styled critique of LOTR is quite ironic considering that both Tolkien and Chomsky have fairly awesome linguistic qualifications.

The biggest fault of Chomsky's political books is that they are naive and quite tedious. He tends to make a point and then go on making it for dozens of pages. As for his actual politics - yes, let's not go there.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:44 AM   #11
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Wow. I got an unsigned negative rep for my Chomsky post.

Someone wanted to leave red and a paragraph in the rep comment, but refused to sign it.

I see that even the low standard of courage required to debate on the internet (with a nom de plume, no less) is too much for some people.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:55 AM   #12
PrinceOfTheHalflings
Wight

PrinceOfTheHalflings is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:

Someone wanted to leave red and a paragraph in the rep comment, but refused to sign it.

I see that even the low standard of courage required to debate on the internet (with a nom de plume, no less) is too much for some people.
I agree - that is very bad form on their part.

I've just given you a positive rep, so at least you'll come out even!
Old 02-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #13
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:

hah. Nothing quite so dramatic. The comment took up the whole character allowance. Feel better knowing?

Hey, can I have a positive rep too, PrinceOfTheHalflings? My dog died. :'(
Old 02-22-2010, 12:40 PM   #14
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by obloquy View Post
hah. Nothing quite so dramatic. The comment took up the whole character allowance. Feel better knowing?

Hey, can I have a positive rep too, PrinceOfTheHalflings? My dog died. :'(
Not really. Your disagreement with my opinion could have taken the form of a PM, or you could have just posted it. Apparently, you were so hurt or upset about my comments regarding a third party (and public figure) that you felt, umm, compelled to use the rep option.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #15
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by obloquy View Post
So are you a hawkish, nationalistic nutjob, or have you simply not read any Chomsky?
This post has been reported, as well. Completely unnecessary ad-hominem and very poor form.

It also proves my earlier point.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #16
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfTheHalflings View Post
I agree - that is very bad form on their part.

I've just given you a positive rep, so at least you'll come out even!
Thanks, Prince.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:35 PM   #17
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Not really. Your disagreement with my opinion could have taken the form of a PM, or you could have just posted it. Apparently, you were so hurt or upset about my comments regarding a third party (and public figure) that you felt, umm, compelled to use the rep option.
I used the reputation feature as it is intended to be used. Besides, I had no interest in discussing why your comment was ignorant and valueless with you: your post demonstrated to me exactly how interesting a discussion with you would be.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:47 PM   #18
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Since the original topic (which was satirical and has been taken way too seriously!) has long left the premises in "favour" of personal comments - which should be taken to PM - I'm closing this thread. Anyone who has a worthwhile on-topic contribution to make can PM me and I might consider reopening it.

By the way, anyone who posts on the Downs can get negative reps - I have, and only because someone disagreed with me, not because I posted inappropriately. Shrug it off and don't complain publicly, please - it's not worth getting upset over such a small thing.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Closed Thread