The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
Banthro
Newly Deceased

Banthro has just left Hobbiton.
(Re)Creating Tolkien's Middle-Earth

Hey everyone, I am new to the Barrows, but I wanted to inform everyone here about a project me and several other people are involved in. This project is recreating Tolkien's Middle-Earth in Minecraft, which is (as you can imagine) a large project. Before you get me wrong, I am not here to just advertise and try and get people for this project. I wanted to know if you at the Barrows could assist us in lore and anything that we may have missed. We like to think we have an extensive collection and a large atlas, but experts such as you may be able to help us out. We have done most of Moria, which has taken us about three months. We are also pretty much finished with the Shire and are moving north to build Arnor (we are currently building Annuminas). If there is anything you guys can do to help us, we would be grateful. Or, if you wish to visit our Minecraft server, if you have Minecraft, then you are welcome to come and see what we have done. Thank you for reading this
Banthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Banthro, Welcome to the Downs!

For those of us who don't play Minecraft (like I need another timehole ), would you be able to provide some screenshots of your work?
Old 06-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
Banthro
Newly Deceased

Well, here is one I took myself of Rivendell. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...429124026.png/
We have a lot of screenshots of our server already on our website, so you can see them all here (http://www.minecraftmiddleearth.com/screenshots). We also have a youtube video out advertising the project which shows many of our creations too (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HdKXlN_gB0). Also, if there is anything you wanted to see which we have made, then I can screenshot it, provided we built it. Also we have also built certain buildings not in the areas currently done in a freebuilding area. For example, I think we have an Orthanc, but I am not sure if it is fully built yet. I hope you liked these and found them worthy of Tolkien. Also, I take no full credit for any of these things, as I have not built any of these things solely, nor did I create the trailer or take any of the screenshots seen apart from the one of Rivendell at the top.

Last edited by Banthro; 06-14-2011 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Image wouldn't appear, needed to change image hosting site.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

I never did like Minecraft, but people make some awesome stuff. These are pretty cool. There's plenty of references here if you just browse, but is there anything specific you're looking for?
Old 06-14-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The mountains are very impressive!
Old 06-14-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
Banthro
Newly Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna View Post
I never did like Minecraft, but people make some awesome stuff. These are pretty cool. There's plenty of references here if you just browse, but is there anything specific you're looking for?
Well, we do have quite an in-depth atlas and we know most of the lore. However, there are bits we forget or get wrong. For example, we built the palace in Annuminas as a massive building with a large triangular roof. Turns out that it was meant to have a domed roof, so we had to change it. The problem is, that we have no real way of looking for these things, so it's a bit hard to look for specific things. However, if, during our project, we hit any walls, which I believe we will when dealing with more of the North and the more obscure areas, we should be able to know what we want to know. But, as I said, at the moment it's just a case of searching sources for anything we have missed. Also, thanks for liking the work we have done so far.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Wow!