The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2006, 10:42 AM   #1
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
"Rings" humor in Clerks II

Who has seen this movie?
What are your opinions on the LOTR humor in the movie? I, personally, found it hilarious and I laughed so hard I was crying. But, I am curious if everyone reacted this way.
Is there really a line between the two trilogy fans (Star Wars vs. LOTR)???
If you haven't seen it, and you like Kevin Smith movies and aren't easily offended, I recommend it to take care of all of your raunchy stupid-funny needs.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:05 PM   #2
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Just to add to what Tigerlilly has said, yes it is very funny and it also very adult....
18 Warnings for parents........
Old 07-28-2006, 02:20 PM   #3
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
One Ring to rule them all...

Yes, I saw it. I went with my oldest brother. And I found it to be hilarious, if a bit jaw-dropping here and there. To add to the warnings, my jaw dropped every so often. Mine. If you can't handle some truly crude humor, for the love of everything holy, don't see Clerks II.

Now...

From the group of people that post frequently here, I know that we are a wide variety in our nerdity, and there are very few of us that believe in the Listerfiend.

But who else found it interesting to note that their Transformers-loving Rings nerd was an extremely naive, uber-religious, greasy-haired teenage nerd with very little life experience of any kind?
Old 07-28-2006, 03:21 PM   #4
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien

Listen, I know most are going to disagree with me, but I refuse to see the movie. I don't like people making fun of LotR, it's personal to me. There are certain things that can be funny such as the little skit with Jack Black and Sarah Michelle Geller at the Council of Elrond (I believe it was shown at the Grammys a few years ago) but things like Clerks II just makes me irate. I'm probably alone in this, so don't get on my case- it's how I feel.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:08 PM   #5
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I haven't seen it yet, but I saw the commercial that shows a bit of the Star Wars/Rings debate and it looks hilarious! Must get around to seeing it...
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 02:07 AM   #6
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Is this only on in cinemas so far? I mean, is it out on DVD yet? I usually see any Kevin Smith film that comes out anyway, but this sounds funny.

I've had many a Rings/Wars debate with the geek circle here, wonder how it will come out with the Smith treatment?
Old 07-31-2006, 11:32 AM   #7
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

The thing is, though... they don't totally bash LOTR. There is one character who is bashing it and two who are defending it. So, it's not like it's a total LOTR bash-fest.
Besides, they only touch on the things that most Rings fans joke about anyway :-)

The one thing I can't tell is if Kevin Smith is a fan or not. It's obvious when watching his movies that he loves Star Wars and X-Men... but with LOTR it's hard to say. The characters supporting LOTR sure do throw around a lot of facts for Kevin Smith to have not, at least, done his research. Maybe he's indifferent? Well, I'm going to his Q&A this Saturday at Wizard World... so if he happens to say anything about it I'll let ya'll know

But, I understand if some people wouldn't want to see it.

Oh, and Feanor... I must say that I am a believer in both Listerfiend and Pillowpants (omg... I cried at that part of the movie... so funny/wrong)!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:44 PM   #8
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I haven't seen Clerks II yet, but am anxious to go see it, and now I'm wanting to go see it even more.

I just wanted to say that recently I've seen a lot of movies that have had LOTR spoofs in it. Besides the South Park episode (which I still haven't seen) and the great Veggie Tales: Lord of the Beans. I recently just saw The Date Movie, and when the guy and his fiance go to get a ring, Frodo, Sam and Gandalf all appear at the ring shop trying to sell the One Ring. And it's just an absolute hilarious spoof.

Then in the TV movie Desperation, based off a Stephen King book. The crazy/demon possessed cop, arrests someone called Peter Jackson. And he says 'Hey aren't you the guy who made Lord of the Rings? Boy you sure have lost a lot of weight.' (because this actor happens to be a hollywood fit boy).

So, rather recently, I've been seeing quite a few movies with LOTR references/comedy in it, now I desire even more to go see Clerks II.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:58 PM   #9
JuliaChang

I thought it was pretty funny myself... I like how Smith always tosses in pop culture references like he did with Star Wars in Clerks I
Old 10-23-2006, 06:29 AM   #10
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Yes Clerks 2 was amazing!!

The bashing of LotR was brilliant especially when the guy throws up because he's so mad!
Old 10-23-2006, 08:46 AM   #11
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I still aint seen the whole film, but I've seen the Rings argument bit. Reminds me of the comic Rings Vs Star Wars arguments that used to go off at work with insults aplenty flying, so I found it funny. If anyone wants to see it, you can find it pretty easily on YouTube, but firstly I don't know if its legal so it might not even be there any more, and secondly its full of swearing so possibly best avoided by delicate flowers who might get offended (hence no link is being provided). And most Kevin Smith films are full of things to upset people anyway, so what would you expect?
Old 10-23-2006, 09:46 AM   #12
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Yes! He is one of the most un-PC film makers around and for that I salute him!