The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2003, 02:00 PM   #1
propagandalf
Animated Skeleton

propagandalf has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe “Gandalf… yes, that was my name. I was Gandalf.”

That scene is one of my favorites from the book and the movie. I think Sir Ian deserves an award for that piece of acting alone. Anyway, after watching TTT for the 1 billionth time, I noticed a major flaw. Ermm.. help me out here- when the 3 hunters encountered the white wizard in Fangorn Forest, Aragorn called him Gandalf and Gandalf said: “Oh yes. That's what they used to call me. Gandalf the Grey. That was my name.“ He said that as if it was the first time he remembered his name after the ‘Balrog incident’. As if it was the first time someone recognized him after his resurrection. The thing is- he met up with Merry and Pippen before this little encounter. The first thing the hobbits would have said to him was "Gandalf!". It's impossible for Merry and Pippen not to have called out his name upon seeing him. Ermm.. know what I mean? I really love the movie and I’m hoping it’s not really a flaw. Can there be an explanation for this?

In the book, Gandalf did not meet Merry and Pippen before his encounter with the 3 hunters (Gimli, Aragorn & Legolas). So the book is flawless [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

[ February 06, 2003: Message edited by: propagandalf ]
Old 02-06-2003, 02:05 PM   #2
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
I think the only explanation would be "Doh!" [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2003, 02:08 PM   #3
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Propagandalf, I hope you don't mind me tacking on another question to your thread [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I was wondering why Merry and Pippin weren't surprised at all upon seeing Gandalf (in the book). But it seemed to imply that they had met him before, or that he had seen them . . . does anyone have a better memory than me?
Old 02-06-2003, 04:37 PM   #4
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
I was wondering why Merry and Pippin weren't surprised at all upon seeing Gandalf (in the book).
In the movie, I think, it is a flaw. But as for the books, Merry and Pippin are surprised when they see him. The arrival of Gandalf with Theoden and company at Isengard is not the first time they see Gandalf, they met him earlier as well. At that time they were surprised.

Quote:
'Suddenly a great horse came striding up, like a flash of silver. It was already dark, but I could see the riders face clearly: it seemed to shine, and all his clothes were white. I just said up, staring, with my mouth open. I tried to call out, and couldn't. There was no need. He halted just by us and looked down at us. "Gandalf!" I said at last, but my voice was only a whisper.
This is Pippin speaking in Flotsam and Jetsam - TTT.
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 04:47 PM   #5
Kirsanne_Tolebrass
Pile O'Bones

Kirsanne_Tolebrass has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kirsanne_Tolebrass
Silmaril

Well, they did change around some things from book to movie, like when the 3 hunters first meet Gandalf, they don't meet him like they do in the book and all, but what can I say, I know that they change the movie from the book, oh well.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:07 PM   #6
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ahh. I must have skipped over that part when I read the books . . .

I don't remember anything from the movies, but I only have vague memories from the books, so I shouldn't have asked that before rereading the books, I guess.

I must go and reread them for the third time . . .
Old 02-06-2003, 05:32 PM   #7
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That was one part of the film that was very confusing for me, when I first saw it I didn't understand who Merry and Pippin met, I think I still thought it was Saurman, until Treebeard said that he told Gandalf that he was going to take good care of them. Though the part when the three hunters first meet Gandalf was amazing in the film, that was one part where everyone clapped when I first saw it.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:22 PM   #8
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

This is what happens when you play around with JRRT's carefully wrought text. There are a lot of flaws in the films like this. Things that just don't work because they cut a scene here or added another there. JRRT's plot is extremely complex - nothing happens without a reason or that cannot be explained. It doesn't really matter in the films because most who see them won't notice them, and they certainly didn't spoil my enjoyment of them.

But, I do really wonder whether it was really necessary for Treebeard to take Merry and Pippin to Gandalf. All that it acheives is to build up a little suspense by making the (uninitiated) audience think that the nasty old tree has delivered them to Saruman.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:35 PM   #9
The Green Ringwraith
Haunting Spirit

Location: On the edge of the world I'll roam and the home of the wolf will be my home.
The Green Ringwraith has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to The Green Ringwraith Send a message via AIM to The Green Ringwraith
Sting

Two words: Extended version.

More words: There are most likely deleted scenes we do not know about that will help us understand. Hom hoom.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:39 PM   #10
propagandalf
Animated Skeleton

propagandalf has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Hahaaa.. It should still make sense minus the extended edition, in my opinion [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

The Saucepan Man- the flaw does not spoil the film for me either. It just bugs me a little. I guess I want the movie to stand on its own. I want it to be perfect cuz I plan to see it over and over again. (how do you spell obsession?) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Lathspell- You left out the good part. This is what Pippen had to say about meeting Gandalf:

‘Did he say: “Hullo Pippen! This is a pleasant surprise!”? No, indeed! He said: “Get up, you tom-fool of a took! Where, in the name of wonder, in all this ruin is Treebeard? I want him. Quick!’

Heeeheee. I just love the books. I am rereading TTT right now. Somewhat worried about the next movie. So many things to happen yet. How are they gonna fit all that in one film? Yikes.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:14 PM   #11
Stormcrow

Sting

Another thing that bothers me about the movie is the fact that they left in the Entmoot deciding on the fact that Merry and Pippin are not Orcs. This is kinda stupid since according to PJ, Treebeard was already assured of this by Gandalf. see what happens when you throw in an event thats not supposed to be there? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2003, 02:23 PM   #12
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree-the Ents came across as complete idiots. All my friends can't take them seriously now.

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 10:57 PM   #13
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I agree that there was a definite inconsistency introduced by shuffling the scenes around like that. There's no way that Merry and/or Pippin wouldn't have called out Gandalf's name unless they were physically gagged. It'll be interesting to see how the extended DVD handles it (NO, I'm not saying that this forgives everything. Just that it may ameliorate it slightly).

There is one interesting bit in "Flotsam and Jetsam" though, when Pippin is telling the story of his and Merry's adventures, and he tells about how when they described Gandalf's fall to Treebeard, Treebeard "looked at us rather curiously, I thought" (sorry, the book isn't in front of me so the quote may not be exact). Also, in the chapter where they first meet Treebeard, he shows a definite reluctance to believe in their news. There's a heavy implication there that Treebeard has seen Gandalf in the woods even before meeting with the two hobbits, and of course the question there is; how did he know it was Gandalf if Gandalf didn't know himself who he was? He was all in white, and was easy enough to mistake for Saruman, yet somehow Treebeard knew. Hoom, hmmm, as he might say...
Old 02-09-2003, 10:57 AM   #14
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

I could be "pro-movie" (quite apologetically: movies from books are almost always complicated things) in saying what I'll have to say: maybe Merry and Pippin were too dumbfound to say anyhting in the first place. Well, I agree on what the extended dvd will have to do about this, but I'm sure that the editors will try to smooth that out.

But in the mean time, let me just quote:
Quote:
"Doh!"
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 11:56 PM   #15
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
Sting

well certainly there are flaws in the movie like the king of dead marches with his army onto the fields of pelennor and i think this is one of them.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:58 PM   #16
Isowen
Haunting Spirit

Isowen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Green Ringwraith: I have the extended version and it doesn't make that much of a difference. The scene is the same, only extended (obviously), there is no new scene there.
Maybe Merry and Pippin were just so surprised, that they couldn't say anything.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:39 PM   #17
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ah but the book is flawed as well we can argue of whether or not Merry and Pippin see Gandalf prior to them arriving at Isengard (though there is already a quote above stating they did) But he also was at loth lorien where he got his white cloak and such certainl Galadriel would tell him his name.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:52 PM   #18
luthien-elvenprincess
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: what are you doing here? did you come here to eat my popcorn?
luthien-elvenprincess has just left Hobbiton.
Gandalf was known different names by different races. The elves knew him as Mithrandir, therefore Galadriel wouldn't have called him Galdalf. Treebeard, being so old, probable knew him as Olorin, or at least, Mithrandir since the Elves taught the Ents to speak. So, Treebeard probably didn't refer to Gandalf as GAndalf when he met him as The White.

Gandalf met Aragorn, Gimli and Legalos on March 1, and then met Merry and Pippen on March 3 (see appendix B)...therefore, Aragorn's "Gandalf" exclaimation was indeed the first time he heard it since arriving back.