The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2002, 07:38 AM   #1
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting 'Obsessed' fans

Does anyone else have really irritating friends that claim to be absolutely 'obsessed' with LotR because they love the movie and are Orlando's biggest fan? Yet if you mention the books at all they're like 'You've read them TWICE? God that's sad' (and someone said that to me! I just felt sorry for them because they were missing out on so much)

It just irritates me when people think LotR is all about the movie and the 'hot' cast. I've lost count of the times i've had to patiently explain who Tom Bombadil was after i once said 'Why did they leave Tom out of the movie?!' and the answer was a 'Who? What? HUh?'

Does anyone else have friends that are so annoying like this?

~*Varda*~

ps I am in no way trying to imply that if you've not read the books and only seen the movie you're not a LotR fan. It's only if you bounce around in a teenybopper way squealing 'Orlando is so hot orlando is so hot' over and over without a vague idea of what even happens in the books that you get on my nerves.

[img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2002, 10:54 AM   #2
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well, I (luckily) don't know many of those types, but one of my friends is really hopeless.
I wrote a message to her, and mentioned "Tolkien (the guy from LotR, you know)" and when she read it, she came over to me saying: "Do you mean that hot, blonde Elf?" I really had a hard time keeping myself from screaming "He's the author, god damn it!"

(I'm sorry, if I offended anybody with my language!) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 10:56 AM   #3
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Lol, I would have probably said the same thing, or at least something similar.
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 12:32 PM   #4
Elfchick
Pile O'Bones

Elfchick has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elfchick
Sting

thankfully No. but I am obsessed, only I truly am over anything having to do with LOTR which I've read TWICE!

Welcome to the Barrows
Land of the dead
If you think being dead is boring
Get a Life!
Elfchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 01:01 PM   #5
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dûm

Aldagrim Proudfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I think I'm the only one I know who is obsessed with LOTR, even the movie.
Old 06-16-2002, 01:27 PM   #6
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
<font color="green"> i know a couple people that are soo annoying like that! they've only seen the movie once, and think orlando is hot, and consider themselves lotr experts!! it makes me so mad, cause they haven't got a clue!!! and i've read the books many times, and people at school are like "omg, how can you read those stupid, boring books???" i try hard not to slap them. </color>
Old 06-16-2002, 01:45 PM   #7
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have a few of those in my school and they are so annyoing!! They do/say all the stupid things you´ve mentioned and other things as well (can´t be bothered to say).
I have a hard time not to hit them really hard every time I see them. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] Though, they have been less annoying the last months, maybe the film is considered "almost old" in their eyes? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
And none of them have read the books, and goes on about how sad it is that I´ve read them six times, and learning Quenya and Sindarin etc etc...bah.
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 05:54 AM   #8
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Eärendil and gollum*elf*pup: Hang on!! They're just crazy. You'll get used to it (I gave up my circle of associates ages ago) I ignore them (except when somebody makes him/herself a complete fool, with for example the case earlier mentioned) [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] I usually say to myself "Do not slap them! Do not slap them! Do NOT..." [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
And it's not sad learning Quenya and Sindarin!!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ June 17, 2002: Message edited by: Melephelwen ]
Old 06-17-2002, 07:52 AM   #9
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Although I love LOTR (I've read the trilogy twice, rereading The Hobbit, and read the Silmarillion), I haven't learned the languages. (I'm bad at languages.) [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2002, 02:49 PM   #10
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Same with me Aldagrim, I've re-read The Hobbit, The Lotr trilogy, The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales also, twice. I tryed the languages, learned a couple Sindarin, Quenya, Western, and Black Speach words, but I'm so bad with languages, so I'm not fluent! But for the book, if you become really obsessed you can't stop reading them! You become absorbed into the world of ME (Aman, Beleriand, whichever) and when your done reading them....it's just so sad!!!!! Then you wanna read them again. And I know what you mean, people come up to me and they'e like, didn't you already read that!? That's so long, how could you read that, I'd be sooo bored! And for me, it's really hard trying not to slap them! They're so annoying!!!!!

And about the 'obsessed' Lotr fans....I hate when they claim they love Lotr when they basically know nothing about it- they only know that 'hot' elf! No wait, sorry, the hot elf with the long hair! I mean, he's hot that another story, but he's got nothing to do with LotR, except that he played the elf Legolas IN THE MOVIE!!!! Ok, I'm a little better now, calming down now...

[ June 17, 2002: Message edited by: Lothiriel Silmarien ]
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 03:59 PM   #11
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Silmaril

I attempted learning the languages, but i just didn't have time to put enough effort in so it didn't really work. I know some really nice elvish phrases though so i'm happy enough [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2002, 04:08 PM   #12
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
<font face="garamond"> ya, i find all languages hard!!! i tried to learn elvish, but i didn't learn much. it was too hard for my puny little brain. i could only learn some things.
don't worry, i wont slap any one (well maybe just a couple people . . .) ya, i just gave up on those crazy people!!!
Old 06-17-2002, 04:58 PM   #13
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

I am thankful to only know one person who is somewhat like that. She likes Orlando Bloom and Legolas and is a screaming fangirl, BUT she likes LotR in general too. She's reading the books I think, and she knows who Tolkien is. Some of my other friends have as big of an *cough* obsession with LotR as I do!!!!! I keep trying to get them to come here, but only one has!
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 06:06 PM   #14
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Well, I've never had anyone surprised I've read the books more than once because when they find out, they either already know I'm a nerd (and proud of it!) or know someonce else whose a fan (of the books)
Old 06-17-2002, 09:06 PM   #15
NyteSky
Haunting Spirit

NyteSky has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NyteSky
Sting

Actually one of my friends who considers himself an expert has actually read all Tolkien's books. I haven't, (just the hobbit and LotR for me) but on the other hand he can't remember a thing so throughout the entire movie he was asking me who that was or why this happened. Quite annoying. Then there's the ppl who can't even get the names right. "Likolas is my favorite character!" [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] Truly painful for a slightly obsessed person such as myself. Much as I love the movie, sometimes I wish they hadn't made it 'cause now all sorts of strange people like Tolkien but before I had those books almost to myself. Ah well. Something as genius as LotR couldn't stay hidden forever.
NyteSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 03:03 AM   #16
Feadolena Nolfare
Pile O'Bones

Feadolena Nolfare has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think what determines your annoyingness or lack thereof about LotR is the reason why you value the books/movie. If you've only seen the movie, but you like it because it's a good story and it portrays courage and standing up for what's right, you're probably what I would call a more "legitimate" Tolkien fan than someone who has read the books too, but only because they want to read the bits with Legolas, or they think it's funny how Tolkien writes things that sound sexual to people who have a sick mind to begin with (e.g. about people being "queer"), or they like to laugh at how dumb the hobbits are. Really, I know people like this, and it's not pretty. Most other books would be kinda ruined by their carping about how this or that part is all stupid or gross or whatever, but not LotR, luckily for me. Stupid fangirls. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
If you do tell them off, do me a favor and do it in Quenya, ok? Then, no harm done [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Feadolena Nolfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 10:48 AM   #17
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I have no obssessed friends *sob*. Most of the kids at my school didn't even go to see the movie because they were too busy watching Harry Potter. How sad is that?
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 12:12 PM   #18
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Eye

Truly sad, Silver-shod Mouse! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] How dare they?!? [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] But again, their loss, hehe [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2002, 12:39 PM   #19
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Anarya SilverBranch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I HAVE to put my two cents in on this topic, because there are so many people in my school who think just because they've seen the movie their automatically experts on lotr. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

It is sooooo irritating! Like they try to speak elvish from the movie when they can't even remember the names of the charcters! Puhleeezzz [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2002, 01:35 PM   #20
Ungoliant

Sting

I am fortunate enough to not know people like this, and am in fact one of the few Lord of the Rings obsessors I know. But, I for one fell in love with the books before the movie was even rumored, and so people who claim to be "the biggest fan" of Tolkien and what-not, who have not read the books, I could see them easily getting on my nerves.
Old 06-18-2002, 01:44 PM   #21
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

<font color=gold>Hmmm... none of my friends are obsessed from only the movie. My friend, Morgan, and I only became obsessed once we read the books (we were reading them at the same time, it was fun because then we could discuss them as we went). Pretty much everyone I know who loved the movie has read the books already.

One thing that does annoy me is when people who have not read the book say that they hate the end of the movie. They know it's a trilogy, did they really expect it to have a full ending? Anyway... that's my 2 cents!

PS - WELCOME TO THE DOWNS, UNGOLIANT (don't be going after the Trees though, all the Elves here may have something to say about that [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] )
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 01:50 PM   #22
shieldmaiden
Wight

shieldmaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've read the books 6 years ago for the first time and I read them once every year. I consider myself to be a rather obsessed fan and thank god I don't have a credit card for I would buy everything that has LotR written on it (well, almost everything, I'm not THAT obsessed).
I don't have any friends like that but I get annoyed when people say that Tolkien is for kids.
Old 06-18-2002, 02:57 PM   #23
Elenya
Haunting Spirit

Location: See that mound of earth? No, no, the one to the left.....There you go
Elenya has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenya
Silmaril

None of my friends enjoy LOTR in the same sense that I do. Fortunately, since Star wars came out, they have stopped drooling over legolas, and are currently drooling over hayden christensen.
Old 06-18-2002, 08:00 PM   #24
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

I have seen a lot of topics around here like this, and it has given me the impression that people think that REAL fans of LotR are ones to which the following apply:

1. They have read the books.
2. They understand all the aspects of Tolkien's world.
3. They DON'T like it because of Orlando Bloom/Elijah Wood/Viggo Mortensen but instead like it because of other reasons.
4. They can speak elvish well if they so choose.
5. They were a fan of the series before the movie was even heard of.
6. They don't need to try and get into the books and the actual story, but instead do so automatically.

Before you ask, yes I am sticking up for the people that you are calling "un-true fans." If the movie is what hooked them, so be it. That's how it went with me and I'm sure many others. If people try to speak elvish from the movie and have trouble with the characters' names, then look at it this way: at least they TRY. Instead of rolling your eyes at them, maybe you could help them understand what you imagine to be a good fan of LotR! You guys are starting to flame these people. But it won't do any good to complain amongst yourselves for the rest of your days, now, will it?????!!!!! Imagine what they would think if they saw how you are talking!!

*Realizing what she has just said, Ith shuts her trap and backs off into a shadowy corner with her eyes to the floor*
Sorry. That was stupid. I'm making something of nothing. I'll just vanish now.

[ June 18, 2002: Message edited by: Ithaeliel ]

[ July 06, 2002: Message edited by: Ithaeliel ]
Old 06-18-2002, 08:12 PM   #25
Elenya
Haunting Spirit

Location: See that mound of earth? No, no, the one to the left.....There you go
Elenya has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenya
Silmaril

<font color="silver">I think I can call myself a 3/5-true fan. My dad read the Hobbit to me when I was younger, and I really enjoyed it. He tried to get me to read LOTR, but to a 9 year old, it seemed kind of boring. About a month before the movie came out, we took a road trip, and listen to LOTR on CD's. Those were fun, even though we only got to Isengard. When I went to see the movie, I got home and I realized: I want to know what happens!!! So I read the last two books. And yes, that means that I still haven't read FOTR, my sister keeps yelling at me for that. That is why I consider myself a 3/5-true fan.

[ June 18, 2002: Message edited by: Elenya ]
Old 06-19-2002, 12:58 AM   #26
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

*nervously* Must all of those apply, Ith? I'm afraid I haven't bothered to learn a word of Elven outside of "lembas". I figured that I probably ought to learn all the "real", or perhaps I should say "common", languages first.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 02:02 AM   #27
Feadolena Nolfare
Pile O'Bones

Sting

I still think what determines whether or not you're a "true" fan is what the books/movie means to you, and how you approach them as a fan. It doesn't matter whether the movie introduced you to the books or vice versa, as long as you plan at some point to take that extra step and read them. If the entire purpose of the movie, to you, is to laugh at the hobbits, dis Gimli, and drool on Leggy, Valar help you, but it's rather doubtful that you will ever be a "true" fan. However, if you think Leggy is hopelessly sexy and the movie really makes you think, I believe you're just as much a fan as someone who is fluent in Quenya.
And no, learning Elvish doesn't have anything to do with whether you're a true fan or not. I don't say that because I don't know Elvish (I do know some).
*drags Ith out of corner* stand up for what you believe! Even if it is just about fandom. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2002, 06:40 AM   #28
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Sting

Thanx Fea!
Silver-shod Muse, that's not what I meant. I'm saying that those are things you should not judge a fan by. It's perfectly fine if you don't speak elvish! I myself speak very little, and it's all Sindarin.

[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: Ithaeliel ]
Old 06-19-2002, 07:32 AM   #29
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
I don't have any friends like that but I get annoyed when people say that Tolkien is for kids.
Jesus!!! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Quote:
Fortunately, since Star wars came out, they have stopped drooling over legolas, and are currently drooling over hayden christensen.
God bless you Hayden!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Sorry, just needed to say that... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2002, 01:06 PM   #30
maleliel
Animated Skeleton

maleliel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

hi. I'm really new here and I chose to come on this topic cos i understood it! I have friends at school who say I'm 'obsessed' with LOTR. I read the Hobbit & LOTR in when I was 12-13 (I'm now 15) before the movie came out. After the movie i read the silmirillian and currently the unfinished tales. these girls say i'm obsessed cos of this and they are really quite nasty about the whole thing. I say I'm not obsessed but devoted! I do love Orli and Elijah but I don't think that effects whether I'm a true fan or not. When i was reading LOTR i was going through a tough time at school with the nasty ppl already mentioned and the theme of friendship really helped me through. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2002, 01:09 PM   #31
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

If people insult you because of what you like, they're ignorant. They also can insult anyone they want, but can't take it, so ignore them.
Old 06-20-2002, 01:16 PM   #32
maleliel
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril

thanx aldagrim! its nice to know that at least here I can talk about LOTR without being insulted. i ignore their comments now by the way. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] they aren't worth worrying about.
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2002, 02:17 PM   #33
Mornie Alantie
Wight

Location: Somewhere above earth cause people say i should come down to it
Mornie Alantie has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<font color="Aqua">Me and my cousin are LOTR freeks. we've read the books 3 or 4 times. She has read the silmarion a few and me about 4 or 5. Weve each read the Hobbit a few times. and we are trying to learn Quenya. And whenever we mention LOTR people say we are overly obsessed? I mean whats up with that?
Oh did I mention for me it all started Dec. 2000? So I mean all that in two years doesn't make me Obsessed does it? LOL
Old 06-20-2002, 02:18 PM   #34
Feadolena Nolfare
Pile O'Bones

Sting

I think the people teasing you are just immature. During adolescence, people grow up at very different speeds, and you seem to be one of the wise but perhaps unlucky ones who has a more mature mind than others your age. I'm the same age as you, so I know how it can be when people just don't *understand* what you like. And, well, ignorant people tend to dislike and make fun of things that they don't understand or things that are different (e.g. racism). But there ARE mature teenagers out there, and as the people around you age, there will be more and more people you can relate to.
Ignoring them is really hard [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] keep at it! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2002, 02:19 PM   #35
Mornie Alantie
Wight

Location: Somewhere above earth cause people say i should come down to it
Mornie Alantie has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<font color="aqua">Oh I forgot ive also read Unfinished tales only twice too. and these people say I'm obsessed. *sigh*
Old 06-20-2002, 03:13 PM   #36
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Mornie, where do these people come up with the idea that your obsessed?! It looks like your hardly a fan at all! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Can you tell I'm sarcastic!

Maleiel, hey!!! Welcome to the Downs, a place where you can talk freely about your LotR obsessions without being insulted! And whoever does that to you again, or says that your obsessed say something in Elvish really nasty or just say, "What am I too smart for you?! Aww, I'm sorry you don't have a brain, but don't come to me with your stupid problems." Ok, a little nasty, but I hate when people are so....yeah, well, you know. You can never be too obsessed with LotR! Believe me...ok I better stop now, I'm gonna say something I'll regret!
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 01:53 PM   #37
maleliel
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril

Thanx Lothiriel and other people who are nice!!!
Its nice to know other people are big fans like me! My sister and my friend are both big fans too so I talk to them sometimes as well!
I'm trying to learn Elvish but it's hard!!! I'll learn a few good insults though to throw at the nasty people! Then they'll get confused!!! hehe! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Thanx again! You guys all RULE!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2002, 03:59 PM   #38
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

You knowe, before I came here, I totally underestamated messageboards. I never realized how fun it would be just to talk about Tolien. Um, actually... I did. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2002, 06:58 PM   #39
Feadolena Nolfare
Pile O'Bones

Sting

muwaha, you bring up a good point! Tolkien books are some of the few in the WORLD that can be almost as fun to talk about as to actually read [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Probably because Tollers has created an entire world to go along with the books, and it is the parts he doesn't talk about in depth that you can discuss with other people. It's all one big unfinished tale I say!! muwahahahaaa!!
oopsy *slaps self* no more evil laughter, I promise [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2002, 07:28 PM   #40
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I, alas, do not have any obsessed friends. One friend saw it twice, but only because I forced her to. There was another person at school who has this like, really big crush on Orli. I laugh at her (in my head) she is currently working her way through LOTR, which makes me very happy! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] At one point she was reading TTT and was complaining that the talking trees were very strange and disturbing and boring! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] It was actually rather amusing! I then assured her that they were in fact very importent. I still can't believe that she didn't like ents! Oh well. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]