The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2003, 03:48 PM   #81
One of the Nine
Haunting Spirit

Location: In my mind. What? Why are you looking at me like that?
One of the Nine has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to One of the Nine Send a message via MSN to One of the Nine
Sting

Hola!
I am not Spanish! I don't even speak it.
I am 1 of the 9, and the barrowdowns is the coolest LotR website I have seen so far. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2003, 09:33 AM   #82
Athaniel
Pile O'Bones

Athaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hello, my name is Athaniel. I registerd yesterday. I am presently doing a Diploma as a translator and interpreter. Before that I did an M. A. Degree in History and Philosophy. When I was forteen I read LOTR for the first time. I got the English original this Christmas. Although the translation was very good, you cannot beat the original. I am wondering whether any of you have seen the movies? Since I heard about the films I felt reluctant to go, because I did not want my imagination being populated by the characters of the film. Also I heard that much was changed and I found many characters unfitting when watching a magazine on the making of the movies. But what really convinced me not to go was the statement by Tolkien's biographer M. White that Tolkien himself would have hated the film. What do you think?
I hope we are going to have some nice conservations.
Greetings
Athaniel [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2003, 11:30 AM   #83
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting

Welcome, welcome, Athaniel!

I'm sure you'd enjoy making a trip to The Movies forum, if you're interested in conversations or debates about the movies. You'll find that many of us have seen the movies and have much input to offer. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Enjoy being dead. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

- DarkRose, local Flower of Death
Old 12-30-2003, 01:55 PM   #84
Faralas

Ring

Greetings my fellow Wayfarers! I am Faralas, who is actually a character I created for an RPG that I'm in the process of writing and developing. 'Tis indeed good to be dead.

I've been trolling this site for a while and find it wonderful. I read the trilogy many years ago (well over 20) and actually took a course on it when I was in college (back in the First Age). *g* I now realize there is a lot about it that I had forgotten, especially with the movies' release. I'm quite fond of Jackson's interpretation of the Trilogy and look forward to seeing the Return of the King.

I'm a full-time writer and (as noted above) am in the process of developing an interactive fiction fantasy/adventure game for a publisher in the UK. (I live in the US - east coast). So, that about sums up moi. I'm so glad I found this website.

Enjoy!

Faralas

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 10:24 AM December 31, 2003: Message edited by: Faralas ]
Old 12-30-2003, 01:56 PM   #85
FairLadyGoldberry
Pile O'Bones

FairLadyGoldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to FairLadyGoldberry
Sting

Ok well lets see...I've been browsing these forums for awhile but I just recently joined. I'm a sophmore in high school, I've been a LOTR fan for awhile...and I'm just happy to belong to this merry little Tolkien society! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2003, 02:18 PM   #86
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Welcome to the downs fairlady. Its good to see you enthusiastic about joining and have a great time.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:16 AM   #87
Emma Woodhouse

Shield

Hello everyone! *loooks around happily*

A friend told me about this site and I saw the forum...it looks like fun! At least it´s not a place where I get "Fur-reak" hissed into my ear when I tell people I had about two hours of sleep cause I went to the RotK midnight prmiere!:P ;-)

What else can I say...I love Tolkien, I love the movies, I love the books...and I´m really exited to meet some fellow "lovers"! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

suilad&stuff,
Emma Woodhouse, the only elf at Hartfield

PS. In case you were wondering about my screenname: Jane Austen is one of my other obsessions, and I just adore Emma.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:46 PM   #88
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Several miles over the madness horizon and accelerating
Bekah has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Bekah
Sting

I have been very busy recently, and probably will not frequent the Barrowdowns as much as in former days, but I wanted to again welcome all newcomers to the best LOTR in the world (that's my opinion, anyway).

Enjoy yourselves, but remember to post well and on topic and ask questions in PMs if you need to (feel free to PM me).

Many cheers and Season's greetings!

~ Elentari II
Bekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 12:03 PM   #89
Aragorns Twisted Angel

Sting

Howdy all! I'm new around here!
Old 01-01-2004, 02:23 PM   #90
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

Hurrah! More cool members! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] Greetings all, and enjoy thy deceasedness!

(And Happy New Year!)
Old 01-01-2004, 03:07 PM   #91
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Yes indeed! Happy New Year to all you new members!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 10:59 PM   #92
Aragorns Twisted Angel

Sting

Hannon le for the warm welcome! Glad to be here mellon-nin
Old 01-02-2004, 06:36 AM   #93
merry_of_the_shire

Sting

Hi, im new here and im going to tell you alittle bit about my self. im 17,female.i live in england.im a student at ashford school of art and design. i look very similar to a hobbit because im short,i have curly hair,eat loads, etc. anyway im a massive fan of lotr,i base all my art projects on lotr. im hoping in three years time to live in new zealand and become an artist. i really like talking to new people. so if you fancy a chat email me im also a very good listerner.

And there you'll be in my arms just sleeping

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 7:38 AM January 02, 2004: Message edited by: merry_of_the_shire ]
Old 01-02-2004, 01:19 PM   #94
Livesiel Greenleaf

Sting

Hi, I'm Livesiel Greenleaf, wife of Legolas Greenleaf. My daughter is Tanraugwen.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:10 PM   #95
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Sting

Welcome, Mery of the shire, you remind me of me! but I am an animation student in New Mexico at TVI. the only difference is I am something of a Dwobbit. A tall one at that. So, I do end up eating alot and my stuborness is legend....

Have fun on the Barrow Downs, enjoy being dead.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:30 PM   #96
Memory of Trees
Haunting Spirit

Location: Here! Over here!!! Behind that rock. Yes, that is I...
Memory of Trees has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hello! My name is Memory. I have been visiting the BDs for about a year now, but just died about ten minutes ago. I am really excited, especially about the RPGs!

See you around!

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 7:32 PM January 02, 2004: Message edited by: Memory of Trees ]
Old 01-02-2004, 08:45 PM   #97
Aiya
Pile O'Bones

Aiya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I 'died' aaaaages ago, stayed in this under-world for a time - posting infrequently - then drifted away because of life's darn siren call. But curiousity always appears when you least expect it, and I wanted to come back. Considering that membership has changed completely since I was last here, I re-introduce myself.

Aiya translates as hail, as in the interjectory. My interests are Fantasy (LotR especially), Music (Flute especially), Writing, Reading, Linguistics and Speechwriting. I'm from Downunder, in Sydney.

Anyway, here's to a good afterlife surrounded by friends.

Aiya
Old 01-02-2004, 09:25 PM   #98
The Dark Elf
Haunting Spirit

The Dark Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Dark Elf
The Eye

Hi i'm Mack I registered today. I'm 14 so I don't have much to say.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:29 PM   #99
Melkor89
Pile O'Bones

Melkor89 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

what is PMing and how do you do it?
Old 01-03-2004, 02:05 PM   #100
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

FAQs -- scroll down until you come to the PMs

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 10:22 PM   #101
High King Fingolfin
Shade of Carn Dûm

High King Fingolfin has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Hi! I'm HKF. You could say I'm not a newcomer because I've been reading over my sister's shoulder since she first joined. As you may have guessed by my signature, her name is Orominuialwen. I've been a member for a while, but haven't been able to post. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2004, 06:22 PM   #102
Rilwen Gamgee

Rilwen Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yessss, new corpses, preciousss! But they isn't fresh, oh no. *Gollum gollum*Not good to gobbles them upsy...

Many cold, morbid, slimy, deathly welcomes to all newly-deads! enjoy your... "eternal", shall I say, stay. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] Don't worry, nothing bad will happen. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Rilwen Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 07:08 PM   #103
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Sting

Hi ya Newly deads. Have fun here. Enjoy being dead!!!!
Old 01-07-2004, 02:40 AM   #104
Lord Vaughn

White-Hand

Hullo there!Welcome to your newest member, straight from the endless continent of Atlantis,the magnificent and all powerful Mage of Silence,Lord Vaughn Avalon!

Please,to anyone who reads this message and think that I'm a boastful newbie,I'm not.
I'm just trying to get your attention. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2004, 06:57 AM   #105
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting

Greetings, Lord Vaughn! A warm welcome to the Barrow Downs!

I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself. Keep up the enthusiasm, and I hope to see good posts from you! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Enjoy being dead! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

- DarkRose, Flower of Death
Old 01-07-2004, 01:07 PM   #106
master_of_puppets

Pipe

i wouldnt call myself new as i used 2b a fanatical member a couple of years ago... from around 2001... but i had a lot of exams on so didnt come online much and my account canceled. altho my poems are still on the fanfiction bit! but yeh, i've rejoined!

i initally got into the books after seeing the first movie- i ran home and burried my head in the books reading for 4 conscutive days before ending. im currently half way through the Silmarillion tho ive re-read LOTR and the Hobbit many times. im also very into music, especially the Rolling Stones but also Dire Straits, Jacko, Queen, Led Zep, Elton JOhn, the Darkness and others.

well theres a bit about me... thank you for your time!
Old 01-07-2004, 03:40 PM   #107
Lomiel

Shield

Rrgh, I am a stupid Lomiel, yes. I didn't realize that there was a strand for intros [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] . Heheh. Bah, I was hoping to save that careless mistake for a rainy day. Oh, well. C'est la vie.

Anyway, I'm really not as absent minded as all this. Really. Trust me.

I've been to a few message boards in the past and I'm the extremely (yeah right) mature age of 15, so I shouldn't be a hugely glaring newbie. If I am, you can smack me. Not really, but....

So that's the basic story on me. A little insane, but....yeah that's about all there is to it. OH! And I'm also a decent roleplayer, just to let you know, I'll probably be mostly hanging out there. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

See you all around!
~Lomiel
Old 01-08-2004, 10:23 AM   #108
Elladriar

Sting

Hey, i'm new here! just spent about half an hour looking for this forum...but now that i'v found it there really isn't much to say about me apart from, i'm a fan of the books erm i love sports and i have a thing for cheese *drools*! ok well, thats all you really need to know, off to explore the Barrow-downs. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2004, 11:28 AM   #109
paavo
Shade of Carn Dûm

paavo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to paavo
Sting

Hi all! another newbie reporting in. so a little about me: as you have probably quessed from my name (ok, maybe you haven't) I'm Finnish. I am 16 years old and of course a huge fan of Tolkien. Other interest are aikido, volleyboll, badminton, soccer, table-tennis etc. I quess that's all. Glad to be here. and I almost forgot, I can't resist mokkabars
[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:30 PM January 09, 2004: Message edited by: paavo ]
Old 01-09-2004, 12:39 PM   #110
Angalhugwen

Silmaril

Hello all! My name is Angalhugwen in elfish, but my real name is Ana. I'm excited to read and read on this site as well as post when possible. TTFN
Old 01-09-2004, 01:24 PM   #111
Eruanna Losille

Silmaril

Vedui'! I'm Eruanna (which I just found out is supposed to be Eruanne, but oh well.) I'm a newbie who's seen all three movies, read the Hobbit and is working on the Fellowship. (I don't get the 'enjoy being dead' thing, but if I read the chapter about Barrow Downs, I think I'll clue in) Oh! And I'm trying to learn how to read/speak Quenya and write Tengwar. (I'm a langauge lover) Um...ok that's about it. I look forward to getting to know you all!
Old 01-10-2004, 09:01 AM   #112
Rosie- Posie Peatfingers

Sting

Hi, I'm Rosie.(If anyone's wondering where I gt my wierd name it was off some hobbit name generator- not the barrow downs one) I'm 16 years old and still *sigh* at school. My favourit ME chracter is Frodo... closely followed by Pippin. I'm rather obsessed with Hobbits... in fact I'm even beginning to suspect that I have some Hobbit blood in me. Im short, always thinking with my stomach, I don't like heights or boats and enjoy researching my family history. The only thing that's missing is the hairy feet.... but perhaps that's not such a bad thing. I adore Fan Fiction in it's many shapes and forms particularly as concerns Hobbits. I'm currently reading the Silmarrillion (hope I spelled that right) I'm about a third of the way through. Quite apart from enjoying the book (which I am) I am hoiping it will upgrade me from being just another silly teenage girl with a crush on Elijah Wood to a Serious Tolkien Fan... Small hope.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:41 AM   #113
Autumn Dawn Tinuviel

Sting

Greetings to all! I just joined the posting board. However, I have been visiting the site for a quite sometime now....a couple of years, in fact. I don't know what took me so long to join the forum, but I am here now. My name really is Autumn Dawn (even though I was born in the summer and at night....my mother has a sense of humour, see). Well, there's my intro...usually I am more longwinded than this (which I am sure will become evident in subsequent posts)... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2004, 03:58 PM   #114
ElizabethGreenleaf

Pipe

Greetings MiddleEarthlings-
my name is Elizabeth -nothins special bout me. ah...i love Legolas LOL i loves the Lord Of the Rings- there really isnt anything to tell bout me thats "special"
How do u put a pic as your picture thing
Old 01-10-2004, 09:06 PM   #115
Missy Evenstar

Ring

Hey I'm a newbie. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] My friend sent me to this site. It's so very cool. I love it!

I actually at first didn't like LOTR. But then I had to read them in one of my classes in college and I LOVED them. I've since read "The Hobbit" and re-read "The Fellowship" and "Two Towers". And am currently working on re-reading "Return of the King". I just saw the movie and it was SO good. I cried for the whole last part of the movie.

My favorite character in LOTR is Sam. I love him because he's so loyal to Frodo. And willing to follow him even into Mordor where he knows they might not come back from. Well I think I've babbled on enough. Bye now! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2004, 08:37 AM   #116
ElberethVarda
Pile O'Bones

ElberethVarda has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A very old story....

I joined back in September but have come here only once since then. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2004, 08:04 PM   #117
Sparrow
Animated Skeleton

Sparrow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi everyone. I'm Sparrow. I just joined the site and figured this would be the place to sign in appropriately. I am not familiar with anyone at this website on a personal basis and just found it by browsing the Internet, but I would like to thank all the moderators and administrators for their excellent work - the site is very well set up. A gave the Forum Policies and FAQs a good read, so it seems like I am all set.

~Sparrow
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 08:24 PM   #118
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Welcome all newbies! Have fun being dead!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 02:33 AM   #119
Alchisiel
Haunting Spirit

Location: At The Golden Perch enjoying the best pint in the East Farthing!
Alchisiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hello everyone. I'm new to the site and new to The Lord of the Rings. I saw The Fellowship first then decided to read the books. I've gotten so far as the Return of the King and am waiting to see the movie first. I don't want to know what happens until after I see rotk. It seems I'm older than most-I'm 31. I live in the States. Well see you all later!!
Old 01-13-2004, 03:01 AM   #120
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Welcome to all newcomers! Alchisiel, you'll find that there are quite a few members who can top your age easily! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Some of us read the books back in the 60s and 70s, when fandom was just beginning, and are enjoying the opportunity to share that enthusiasm with others of all ages here. Have a good time on the Downs!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote