The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2004, 04:28 AM   #121
Storm

The Eye

Hello I am new here
Old 01-13-2004, 10:17 AM   #122
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Tolkien

Greetings those new to the Barrowdowns. I hope to see you all around here. This is the best LOTR website that I have ever found. Also, a tip for you "newbies", if I may, go an post on the Green Dragon Inn and then join one of the RPGs (Role Playing Games), for that is the best way to build up your posts and title.

Enjoy being dead!
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Galadel Vinorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 12:47 PM   #123
Humanure

1420!

hi.
I´m Paulo and i´m from Portugal.

it´s good to see a huge commutity dedicated to this mythology. excellent.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:53 PM January 13, 2004: Message edited by: Humanure ]
Old 01-14-2004, 05:16 PM   #124
Rilwen Gamgee

Rilwen Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Mae govannen, Storm and Humanure! Yes, we're all quite proud of our Ringieness. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Remember: Quality over quantity. Enjoy your non-living life! (That was an oxymoron wasn't it...? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] )
Rilwen Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 09:43 AM   #125
Boromir of Gondor

Ring

Hi! i'm Boromir(my real name you shall never know)I'm also thinking about college, people pester me into which college to go to. I'm an avid painter and paint many LOTR models.

I first read the book at 13, and had some difficulty getting into it, but now i can read the books within a week ( 5 days ) impossible?, no, easy as pie!

I have started the Hobbit and am Half way through, my other hobbies include sitting in front of the computer all day and the PS2, i'm sure it'll be great here and i'll take on any hard questions you have...
Old 01-17-2004, 11:19 AM   #126
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Welcome to all the newly-deads! (There must be a war out there or something! Lots of new recruits! ) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] It is good to see corpses of all ages making their way in here, although, Alchisiel, I must say I top your age by a few years! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Also a fond welcome to Rosie- Posie Peatfingers, who shares my love of Frodo and Pippin! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] There are lots of Frodo-Pippinophiles around here...just dig into a random burial mound and sometimes one will pop out with a horrid rusty sword and some liquified mushrooms! (Frodo-Pippinophiles? I've GOT to find a more graceful term!) I just like to use "Hobbit-fancier" but, unlike most hobbits, I don't get into the whole family tree thing, love the water AND heights, and tend to go off alone all the time. Let's hear it for hobbits! *waves tiny hands in the air* [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] (Not to short the Men, Elves, Orcs, and (Eru forbid!) the Fell Beasts and Nazgul on this thread!)

Cheers!
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 12:29 PM   #127
Armetiel
Haunting Spirit

Armetiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I also am new. I'm 21 (or will be in two days) and am from Canada. Other than studying up on the works of J.R.R. Tolkien, (which I assume is a fairly common hobby around here [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) I love Figure Skating (especially ice dance), Diving, and every other Olympic sport as well.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:42 AM   #128
King Elessar

Sting

Hello, my name is Elessar...or Aragorn...or Strider...whatever

I am a Lord of the Rings fan and have my own LOTR site
Old 01-22-2004, 06:37 PM   #129
Kates Frodo Temp
Wight

Kates Frodo Temp has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Welcome, Armetiel, Elessar! Enjoy the 'Downs! I look forward to seeing lots of posts! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

(Note to other greeters: See, I managed to avoid saying "dead" OR "not alive"!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Do I get a prize? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Sign my lighter, Meela?
Kates Frodo Temp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 08:21 PM   #130
Rilwen Gamgee

Rilwen Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Welcome, welcome to the land where black, green, and gold prevails and death is actually a good thing! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Nice message boards, King Elessar! I wish I had my own site... The trouble is, I don't know how... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Quote:
Let's hear it for hobbits! *waves tiny hands in the air*
Aye! Hip-hip-hooray! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Rilwen Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 01:30 AM   #131
Mithcham

Pipe

Hello all,
I am new here and glad to be a part of this forum. I look forward to reading and posting messages with all of you. I am an English major and was assigned to read The Lord of the Rings last year for one of my classes and have got my hands on any Tolkien I can since then. I am fascinated with the whole world that he has created and hope to read and share ideas with everyone.

Thanks much,
stephen
p.s. Does anyone know how to pronouce Mithcham? Thanks.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:00 AM   #132
Robomir
Pile O'Bones

Robomir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Good Evening all,
I have just joined this site this week and I think its great (I will just have to hope that I still find time for my A-Levels).
I am from England.
(I am afraid I have no idea how to pronounce Mithcham though).
Old 01-23-2004, 09:13 AM   #133
Roxbury

Sting

Hello all, my name is Roxbury and I'm new to this site. I have rediscovered my passion for Tolkien after 20 years and it's so much nicer to study him now that I don't have that pesky college to worry about. My son and I are avid LotR fans and my spouse thinks we are nuts. Lookimg forward to learning lots on this site and sharing ideas with you all! Roxbury
Old 01-23-2004, 10:17 AM   #134
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Welcome, Mithcham, Robomir and Roxbury to the realm that never dies, because its not really alive! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Quote:
I have rediscovered my passion for Tolkien after 20 years and it's so much nicer to study him now that I don't have that pesky college to worry about.
Amen to that! As for pronouncing Mithcham, all I can gather is that the -ch is a variation on -h and would be pronounced as it is in Bach, thus Mithcham would sound rather like you were clearing your throat! A great place to investigate Tolkien's languages is here:
Ardalambion, the Tongues of Arda
And this page on the Barrowdowns could keep you busy for days! (EDIT: Make that weeks, years, however long you're willing to spend!)
Tolkien Links
Cheers and welcome to all!
Lyta

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 11:17 AM January 23, 2004: Message edited by: Lyta_Underhill ]
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 06:59 PM   #135
Rocharwen

Silmaril

hey i'm new here too!
umm a little bit about myself...the user name that i'm using on this forum is "Rocharwen" and it means "royal horse maiden" and "jewel of the stars" umm i love lord of the rings and harry potter, both rock my world, but i love the LOTR movies better than the HP movies...anyway, i like to read (obviously) and umm i guess thats it...oh and i'm 15
Old 01-24-2004, 12:23 AM   #136
Linnahiril Tinnufinwen
Haunting Spirit

Linnahiril Tinnufinwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hello everyone! I'm new to the message board, though I've been to the Barrow Downs many times. It is one of the best Tolkien sites I've ever been to.
I've been a Tolkien fan for a few years now, ever since I read The Hobbit, and the Trilogy. Tolkien's world intrigued me so much, that I also read the Silmarillion. It's been a while since then, but ever since the movies came out, I've been refreshing my memory about the books, so to speak.
I'm currently beginning community college. I like reading, writing (I'm currently writing my own fantasy story), acting, singing, and playing guitar. I hope some day to be a writer, like Tolkien.
I suppose that is all I have to say for now. I look forward to participating on this board.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:30 PM   #137
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

Greetings to all, and enjoy thy deceasedness here at the 'downs! May your barrows moulder forever! (and, Linnahiril Tinnufinwen, lovely name!)
Old 01-29-2004, 04:09 AM   #138
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Greetings!

I'm a devoted LOTR fan. I've read LOTR about forty times, (though most of you have done that) and read every other tolkien work I can get my hands on in Korea.

My favorite character, for some reason, is Eorl the young. I don't know why when he is almost never mentioned in the books.

This is the best lotr site ever and I'm looking forward to joining you all.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:37 AM   #139
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

Greetings to all,

I'm technically new here, even though I've posted a bit, and thought I'd post here. After looking over this site, it seems a lot more newb-friendly, generally interesting, and active of many other sites of been to.

I've been a Tolkein fan for a while now and reread every year to pick up new things (just like I reread all my other favorite books). I have a strange obsession with literary evil so watch out for my scizophrenic counterpart, the Demonic Hobbit/Oompa-Loompa version of Kransha. The name (Kransha, that is) is actually a Tolkein-related inside joke that it would take far too long to explain, but I may try someday.

I look forward to posting here and hope this experience will be enjoyable, which already seems assured.
Death! Red dawn! World's ending! and all the other desirable quotes that I could insert into this situation.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 04:55 PM   #140
Potatothan
Haunting Spirit

Potatothan has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

G'day everyone. Though I am new here I know quite a few members from other forums. Like GOTO and Lossentilien. Ohw and I have this weird feeling I know Galadel Vinorel from somewhere but that I can't place.

I've read lotr, the hobbit and the silm, and apart from that, learned a whole lot from other tolkien communeties, believe it or not, those things are the most reliable source for Tolkien facts because it saves you a lot of time looking it up in 20 different books.

My main reason for being here is the RPG room which has a very good reputation. Many of the RPG rooms I got banned for flaming mary sue's which I find utterly annoying. Well, flaming is not the word, just you know, commenting on their mary-sue behaviour. But all the same, they keep constantly annoying me. RPGing is fun and writing fanfics also.

So a bit about me. I'm from Holland and I already got three PM's of mod's asking me if I was this dude named Helkaho....whatever his name was. Who is that dude anyway? I only took this name out of a story of his. But he seems to have done something bad hahahahaha. Anyway, I do dancing and a lot of MSNing outside school. I guess that is much it if you want to know more PM me.

~Potatothan
Old 01-30-2004, 08:54 PM   #141
Gilwen
Pile O'Bones

Gilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hullo y'all [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
This is a great site! Thanks to everyone who works on it!
Old 01-31-2004, 12:11 AM   #142
camomile
Pile O'Bones

camomile has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to camomile
Sting

I supose I should introduce myself, along with all the other new members. actualy I am not strictly a new member though I was never increadably active. I was once a member under the name of Melcor, but that was around two years ago. I was in high school and had much spair time on my hands. sence then I managed to lose a girlfriend and dropp out of school temporary so I once again find myself with more spair time on my hands than I know what to do with. so I once again find myself delving into the world of midle earth. and seaking out like minded people with a intence intrest in Tolkiens Work(s)
so......hello againg barrowdowns and all who reside there in.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:34 AM   #143
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
Sting

hi this is rutwij from india.
i am big lotr rings fan
i actually am surfing this site very often and i registered here recently
and now i am a big lotr fan
nice to see so many people are fascinated with these lord of the rings books

excellent site i like it very much and i am ofcouse a huge legolas fan
Old 01-31-2004, 08:32 AM   #144
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Namaste Rutslegolas!
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 09:20 AM   #145
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Silmaril

Greetings to all newcomers to this site! Hope that you enjoy being dead. If you have any questions, just ask someone, any of us would be happy to help you. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Hope to see you all around this site.

Enjoy yourselves! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Old 01-31-2004, 10:11 AM   #146
anierfyr

Sting

[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] Greetings to all the lingering dead ...
I come to your site via. Lugburz... I was reading up on the Mos and I have to admit, although I have yet to wander through all the Downs, your discussion on Mos was intriguing enough to make me want to join in... So thank you for your greetings and I look forward to reading more [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2004, 06:48 PM   #147
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Hey! It's another Indian! There are next to no Indians here, well, except me, the guy who be short, and one other person.

Mumbai, eh? I've only been to the airport there. I suppose that counts? But then again, I'm just an NRI, what do I know? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 07:16 PM   #148
Sangal

Sting

Aaye! I'm a new member here. I like and recpect Professor Tolkien and his works. I have visited The Barrow-Downs a few time, read topics and realized that you guys have a very interesting LotR place here. I decided to join this.. community ))
I'm 21, student. Like Rohan very much and Itilien... and Hobbiton))
Also I want you all forgive me my future language mistakes. I'm not native english-speaker and, moreover, I'm self-taught in english... so I can make some mistakes.

That's all. Nice to see you all.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:59 PM   #149
Silmarwen_Ancalime

Sting

Hello. I am new to the Barrow-Downs and I really like this site. I happened upon it one fine morn' looking for backround information for the book I'm writing, on the side I might add. I am hoping to be like the great Tolkien. I am currently a Junior in High School, looking forward to post-secondary education (college).
Old 02-01-2004, 12:12 AM   #150
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Welcome all you newly deads! Please enjoy the worms going in and out and please do not disrupt the game of pinochle they play upon your snout... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
Also I want you all forgive me my future language mistakes. I'm not native english-speaker and, moreover, I'm self-taught in english... so I can make some mistakes.
That is most excellent teaching yourself English, Sangal! People are nice here and will understand that mistakes are part of the learning process... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Enjoy haunting the Downs!

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 06:16 AM   #151
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Namaste Finwe! I had no idea you are Indian. I myself am not, but have spent a good deal of time in the Belgaum area (Karnataka/Maharastra border)and the airport in Mumbai.

It was great fun to visit the old ruins of Vijaynagar and Hampi, or to see places like the red fort and think of Tolkien's world. Almost as if they could have been a part of it!

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 8:33 AM February 02, 2004: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 09:25 AM   #152
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Oh definitely! They have such an atmosphere of nostalgic regret that sometimes reminds me of the Elves.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 04:30 PM   #153
Elven-Thunder

Eye

Greetings everyone. I just signed up today and cant wait to get started.
This looks like an incredible place to be part of.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:11 PM   #154
galadriel'smaiden
Haunting Spirit

galadriel'smaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to galadriel'smaiden
Silmaril

I NOW RETURN FROM A 1 YEAR HIATUS in HAITI!
galadriel'smaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 07:16 PM   #155
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Greetings, all new or returning Barrowdowers! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Welcome to the Barrowdowns. Hope that you enjoy your stay here. If you ever need any help or have any questions while here, plese, feel free to ask any one us. We will all be happy, I'm sure, to help any one of you.

Hope to see you all around the Forum! Namarie! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-05-2004, 10:15 PM   #156
Aduheniel

Erm...hi, Barrow Down-ians, or whatyoucallits...*points to her name* I am Adueniel! Well, not really. I just got it from the nifty name converter-thing, and really liked it. Anyway, I'm new here, of course, and the subject thingy told me to introduce myself here, so that's what I'm doing.

I have lurked around the forums a bit, and probably will keep doing so. I'm not much of a talker usually, at least until I feel settled in.

I'll look forward to my lurkage [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 02-05-2004, 10:47 PM   #157
Elven-Thunder

Eye

Hello and Welcome Aduheniel , I'm new too but I always have a welcome for people.
So far, great place here [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2004, 12:05 AM   #158
Armetiel
Haunting Spirit

Armetiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Welcome [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I'm fairly new, but not TOO too [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I got my name from the converter thing too [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2004, 10:04 AM   #159
Galengaladh

Pipe

i am not quite new here yet i am not a veteran either so i thought i would re-introduce myself, its good to be back, i have been absent from this world for many a days, yet i have returned out of love for this place. i really enjoy this site, and hopefully i can make some great friends here, i am just starting college, i am in my second semester, its kinda intimidating for me cause i have a fairly tougher schedule than last time but i shall survive. good to meet everyone.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:57 AM   #160
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

Welcome all!

Dang, that name generator sure is popular these days.

Well, Enjoy being dead! (ooh, I'm getting the hang of this).

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote