The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2004, 03:39 PM   #161
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi! I'm a big Dwarf backer!

I love LotR and have been lurking for a while. I read the book after the movie. I like them both, but I like the book the best.

Hope to see you around!

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Regin Hardhammer, Master Craftsman and Student of Telchar

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 4:39 PM February 08, 2004: Message edited by: Regin Hardhammer ]
Old 02-11-2004, 04:45 AM   #162
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Welcome to Barrow-downs, Regin Hardhammer! Enjoy being dead!

I remember hearing the same thing from Bethberry a week ago, and have been itching to say it to any other new member I come across
Old 02-11-2004, 12:29 PM   #163
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
well, I am back, for at least awhile.

For all you newley deads. welcome and enjoy being dead!
Old 02-11-2004, 12:55 PM   #164
Aridia

Hi all, I registered about a week ago, but this is my first post. I don't know much about posting and such, I mostly just like to read posts. I love the Barrow Downs, and I've already directed at least four people here and I'm pretty sure they enjoy it as much as I do.
As far as Tolkien, I grew up with The Hobbit and LOTR, I really can't remember a time when I had never heard of anything Tolkien. The strange thing is that I didn't actually read the books until the end of last year, after the third movie came out. When I first found out that they were making live action movies from LOTR I decided to wait until after the third movie came out to read the books, so I wouldn't be disappointed when I saw the movies. Now that I've read the books I wonder why I waited so long.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:29 PM   #165
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Welcome to the downs Aridia! Im sure you will love it here. I read the books only a couple of years ago to and i wish I could have read them alot sooner.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:18 AM   #166
Hikaru

Hello, I was registered at the old forum but just lurked so I'm cautiously sticking my head out of the lurkers' lounge to say hi.
I'm Hikaru, living in Tokyo, Japan, and I'm currently re-reading the trilogy for the 6th or 7th time. I've been a Tolkien fan since the late 70's. I'm also finally struggling through the Silmarillion.
Love the films too.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:42 PM   #167
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Wow... you have been a fan for quite a while! Welcome to the Downs!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 02:31 AM   #168
chucks888
Pile O'Bones

chucks888 has just left Hobbiton.
Hello! Newly dead and loving it!
chucks888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 06:26 PM   #169
evenstar_0404
Animated Skeleton

evenstar_0404 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hi, I'm from Norway, I have read LotR 2 times, and love both the movies and the books. I'm here to learn and understand more about the books and Tolkien.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:32 PM   #170
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Welcome! It's incredible how many different countries are represented here on the Downs. Wow... Norway... cool! I hope you have fun being dead!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:03 PM   #171
evenstar_0404
Animated Skeleton

evenstar_0404 has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Thank you Finwe.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:02 PM   #172
The Mushroom
Animated Skeleton

The Mushroom has just left Hobbiton.
Hey all! I'm the mushroom and this is my first post here on the Downs. I had been hanging around as a guest for a while but now I've finally decided to give up the ghost and join the dead. Oh happy day! I'm a dedicated tolkienite, a violinist, a collector of troll dolls, and I love mushrooms . Oh! and I love hedgehogs too (spikey sweethearts). I'm excited about finally joining you all, and I can't wait to start posting!
See ya on the forums!
The Dead Fungus
The Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 01:57 AM   #173
silma

Hi all, I'm yet another dead woman walking!!!
Just thought I'd pop up and introduce myself. I'm an adoring adorer of all thing Tolkien and I've lost count of the times that I've read LotR and The Silmarillion, I just start re-reading as soon as I've finished. My boyfriend thinks I'm crazy and a complete nerd because of my obsession so I thought I'd join up to meet likeminded people who won't make fun of me!!
I look forward to getting to know you all!!!
Old 02-14-2004, 04:48 PM   #174
Erebeth

Sting

I'm a newbie here, and thought I might as well post an introduction. I'm a high school senior now and've been a Tolkien fan since second grade...naturally I've gotten used to being called a dangerously obsessed geek. Looking forward to being around those who love the books equally..
Old 02-14-2004, 06:02 PM   #175
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Haha! Welcome to the board of fellow dangerously obsessed geeks!!!!
Old 02-15-2004, 10:05 AM   #176
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Well, add Japan and Norway to the incredible 'Downs list...slowly but surely taking over the world...

The Mushroom - love the name! Glad you finally decided to join us - life isn't for everyone Also..troll dogs?!

Silma - from one dead womann walking to another, welcome to the Downs

Regin - a dwarf fan, good grief! Well, Bethberry will be pleased...may your ghostly axe-wielding days be plentious...

Welcome to all new members
Old 02-16-2004, 11:12 AM   #177
The Mushroom
Animated Skeleton

Troll Dollls. They were kinda popular about a decade or so ago. They have brightly colored hair that sticks straight up and cute, smiley faces.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:45 PM   #178
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Ah! Well, less than a decade ago then - I loved those!
Old 02-16-2004, 05:48 PM   #179
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Hello! I've been registered for about a week, and I've posted in the Books forum, and at the Green Dragon. I thought I should finally introduce myself. I am a college student on the east coast, and I'm "new" to the Lord of the RIngs world. I finished the books just before the first movie came out, and I've been hooked ever since! By the way, it's great to be dead!

Roa

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 07:06 PM   #180
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Welcome to all "newbies"! As you have probally had said to you many times before, "Hope that you enjoy being dead!"

Roa_Aife- WOW! Then you truly are a new one in the world of Tolkien. Well then, welcome, Ranger. I look forward to interacting with you more in the Green Dragon Inn and in other places around the Forum. I do like what you said in your post, and if you would not mind me quoting you,
Quote:
By the way, it's great to be dead!
LOVE IT!

A few quick hints for all of you new ones to the Barrowdowns Forum, and then I must be off. Post as often as you possibly can, though do maky sure that all of your posts are meaningful. Visit all of the different parts of the forum, for they all contain their own unique things. The role-playing games are fun to participate in, and though there are no new games open at the moment, you may still post in the Green Dragon Inn, which is located in the Shire. Do, please, go to the Shirefirst, though, beforing moving on to Rphan, which is where you will be able to go after "proving your skills" in the Shhire first. Be patient, and if you have any questions just as me or another Barrowdowner for help, we all certainly be glad to assist you in any way that we can.

For now, if I wish you all good luck and a safe journey navigating the maze of the Downs. Hope to see all of you around the Forum!
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Galadel Vinorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 02:33 AM   #181
The Red Arrow

Eye Hi!

I'm The Red Arrow. I've been lurking around this site for a while, but only got to register now. I'm quote new to LotR, being 'converted' by the movie verison of FotR.

Hope to know you all, and know more about our beloved Professor's works.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:32 AM   #182
Apocalypse_ForceS

The Eye

hey im also new here, ive been a fan of LotR for a while and my m8s introduced me to dis site during an ICT lesson last week, so i proceeded to sign up myself
Old 02-20-2004, 04:51 AM   #183
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I was that mate and I never saw this forum so hello all!
Old 02-20-2004, 08:17 PM   #184
Sakalaru

hello! i've been an LOTR fan for the past few years and have been looking for a LOTR forum to join, so here i am!
Old 02-20-2004, 09:29 PM   #185
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Welcome to the Downs, Sakalaru! As for which forum you picked - great choice. You picked the best. You and all the other newbies - enjoy being dead!
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 08:28 PM   #186
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Several miles over the madness horizon and accelerating
Bekah has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Bekah
This is certainly interesting.

I'm not at all new, but I've been away for a long time, and the format has changed quite a bit.

Welcome to all you newbies!! Have great fun, but remember to respect everyone else and to post well.

Cheers,

~ Elentari II
Bekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 08:47 PM   #187
Timothy Brandybuck

Sting

Hello there. I'm new here but not to www.middle-earth.com (I don't know if that's advertising. Forgive me if it is) I have somewhere around 87 posts there. That's a big diffrence. I'm also a hobbit of the Shire. I've had a question: why are we dead when we're new?
Old 02-23-2004, 08:56 PM   #188
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Long story...

In the books, the Barrow Downs were inhabited by the ghosts from Angmar, the ex-realm of the Witchking. Since the ghosts were dead (obviously), we like to consider ourselves dead, since we are the current denizens of the Barrow Downs.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:04 PM   #189
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Hello

I've been posting for a couple of weeks now -- and lurking for months before that -- but I've only just stumbled on this meet and greet site. So, well, hello.

Still thinking about an appropriate avatar.

Nice to see my buddies Roa and Galadel in the forum -- *My Ladies* {bows}

Fordim
Fordim Hedgethistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 03:04 PM   #190
Lindalirien O Lorien
Pile O'Bones

Lindalirien O Lorien has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Hi

Hi eveyone my name is Lindalirien and if I am not mistaken I think that means fair song maiden (If I am wrong please correct me). Well my real name is Jessica and I'm fourteen. I've come to this site for a long time but just recently came upon the forum. I love the Barrow Downs it's one of the best Lord of the Rings websites I have been to. I can actually talk about things that happen in the books, not just the movies which is a rare thing because all my friends only watched the movies and just briefly skim through the books I have been a Tolkien fan since I was about nine, when I first picked up The Hobbit. I have read The Hobbit,all three Lord of the Rings books, I have read these all several times to try to fully understand them.Once I finish the current book I'm reading I am going to try to start The Silmarillion. I don't think I can call myself a true Tolkien fan until I have read that. Ok that's about all I have to say. Bye

Old 02-24-2004, 03:40 PM   #191
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Wow. Just reading your post makes me breathless.

Welcome to the Downs, Lindalirien O Lorien. I hope you enjoy them immensely, though I'd advise you to watch out for those run-on sentences of yours.

Cheers,

~ Elentari II
Old 02-24-2004, 08:35 PM   #192
Nirvana II
Wight

Nirvana II has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye im confuzzled

what do things like "newly deceased" and "hidden spirit" mean.....
and if there like levels or something...how od we get them up??????????? oh and im Nirvana II....i lost the old Nirvana long time ago.....so here I am.........WATCH FOR THE EYEOFSAURON.COM COMING SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nirvana II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:42 PM   #193
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
In the books, the Barrow Downs were inhabited by the ghosts from Angmar, the ex-realm of the Witchking. Since the ghosts were dead (obviously), we like to consider ourselves dead, since we are the current denizens of the Barrow Downs.
This is from a few posts ago. Please take the time to read the other posts in a thread before you post, and we will take the time to read your post.

There are levels, and you get to them by posting a certain number of times. But remember that people appreciate posts of quality rather than quantity.

I hope you enjoy the Downs immensely, Nirvana II.

Cheers,

~ Elentari II

Last edited by Bekah; 02-24-2004 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:44 PM   #194
Nirvana II
Wight

Nirvana II has just left Hobbiton.
Dark-Eye then i apologize

then i apologize
Nirvana II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:48 PM   #195
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Don't worry about it. Just keep it in mind for the future.

There's a FAQ at the top of the Novices and Newcomers forum, which answers your questions about the levels.

Cheers,

~ Elentari II
Old 02-26-2004, 06:01 PM   #196
Lhundulinwen
Wight

Lhundulinwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lhundulinwen Send a message via MSN to Lhundulinwen Send a message via Yahoo to Lhundulinwen
Eye

Hi everybody! My name is Lhundulinwen (or at least it is online!) I am a Freshman in High school. I really love to read, and LOTR is my newest (and most likely final reading obsession!!!) I really like English class and plan on writing a few novels and books of poetry. But then again, I like science too. So who knows.

Last edited by Lhundulinwen; 02-26-2004 at 06:07 PM.
Lhundulinwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 04:04 PM   #197
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Another newcomer!

I've just registered so this seemed the right place to start.

I'm a long time fan - just about 21 years - I first read LOTR when I was 12, straight after reading The Hobbit, and I've been hooked ever since. Any more 'old-timers' out there? I'd put bets on it

At the moment I have mini-obsessions with the Rohirrim and Saruman, and my current occupation is irritating people who have no interest in the topic, by wittering on about Tolkien at every opportunity.

Please excuse me now if I make any mistakes, because no doubt I will. Now I'm off to see if I can stick my two-penn'orth into a discussion.
Lalwendë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 04:11 PM   #198
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Welcome, Lalwendë. I'm not an old timer myself, but there is a thread out there for all you people who have been reading LotR for eighteen years or more.

Here it is

Welcome to all you newly dead and enjoy the grave!

Cheers to all!
Istawen

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 03:02 PM   #199
Cynan

Hey everybody!

Hey everyone! My name's Cynan. Or Cynan Sam.

So... I'm new.

I haven't read the books, so I've been pretty damn desperate to get a copy. However, I'm reading The Hobbit.

And I'm looking around online to get knowledge on the series, until I save up enough money to buy the book. With the popularity of the movies, the books are all out in my local library.

So... don't be mean if I ask stupid questions.
Old 03-06-2004, 02:34 PM   #200
The Mushroom
Animated Skeleton

Hullo again! Looking at some of the posts above, I didn't realize that there were so many people my age on the Downs (but I guess that that shouldn't surprise me). I'm a 14 year old highschool freshman as well, and I'm also the only mushroom in the world who has bones! Huzzah for newly deceased freshman! And for all the newbies! Remember, you're only dead once!