The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2004, 11:50 AM   #281
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield Our in-joke

Hello and welcome to the Barrow Downs, Idril Groenblad.

The barrow downs being the burial mounds of the ancients in LOTR, well, we just naturally assumed we are all ... dead ... and under the dreadful spell of the Barrow Wight. There be treasures buried here, too, at the edge of the perilous Old Forest.

The treasures include not only discussion threads, games, and fanfiction, but role playing also. If you are interested, hike over to the forum The Shire and visit the Green Dragon Inn for some creative spelunking in Middle-earth.

Bêthberry,
Moderator for Rohan, the intermediate role playing forum
Old 05-07-2004, 01:03 PM   #282
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril Dead is good!

Quote:
What do you mean with 'enjoy being dead'?
Erm, since we're all on the Barrow Downs, we tend to think of ourselves as lesser wights who are slaves to the great Barrow Wight. The fact is, all wights are the ghosts of deceased persuns... however, it's nothing to complain about. My post-mortem is much more fun than my life was, I assure you, and I'm quite sure yours will be too, as long as you adhere to the policies of the forum. Have a nice afterlife!
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 03:03 PM   #283
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Ithaeliel, it's good to see you back around the Downs again!

Quote:
and under the dreadful spell of the Barrow Wight
Ah, Bethberry...Idril, she makes it out to be such a bad thing, most misleading! Welcome to the Barrowdowns and, now you understand what we mean, enjoy being dead.

Erebrandir - Back off when you mention it? Hmm, well, certainly it won't be us doing the backing off..Welcome to Downs. May we lead you in dark places.

Marared - woah, since '87! You almost qualify for the 'Coming of Age' thread - those who have read Tolkien for 18 years or more. Ach, maybe you can sneak in a little early... Hope you enjoy it here.

Hmm, now why can't I post smileys...
Old 05-07-2004, 10:56 PM   #284
Quicksilver_Sprite
Animated Skeleton

Quicksilver_Sprite has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Right then... *pulls fold-out chair closer to circle*

My name is Quicksilver_Sprite, and I first read Tolkien at the piddling age of six or seven, though my mother had previously read it to all of the children several times. On my ninth birthday, I recieved a paperback copy of LotR, but did not get further than the third page of the first chapter for quite a few years. As I grew older, my reading habits became more voracious, and at the mention of the much-hyped FotR movie, I decided that the time had come to once again pick up LotR. So, slowly and carefully, I made my way through it, digesting it and remembering the magic of Middle-Earth from my younger years.

Currently, I'm trying to write a piece of orginal fiction, fit in Algebra II and World History, and retain the shattered pieces of sanity still in my grasp. (siblings will do that to you)

Hi!

Dream a dream / And see through angel's eyes / A place where we can fly away
Ride with me upon a shining star, / Above the moonlit sky / We will find Elysium
Quicksilver_Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 04:55 AM   #285
Smeagol

Ring Hi, I'm Smeagol.

Hello everyone, it's great to be here.

My name is Smeagol, obviously, and i love LOTR, obviously! i read the books 4 years ago and the hobbit 5 years ago. I've just finished the Sil. I think the films are really, really, really, really, really, really good but i also like the books.
I am currently writing out FOTR in Dwarvish runes and the tengwar. I did the Hobbit ages ago. Well, that's just about it now, Bye.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:37 PM   #286
Lhundulinwen
Wight

Lhundulinwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lhundulinwen Send a message via MSN to Lhundulinwen Send a message via Yahoo to Lhundulinwen
Silmaril

Welcome to the Barrow Downs Smeagol,Erebrandir, Idril Groenblad! I hope everyone's having a great day, and remembered to get something for their mothers! Tomorrow is Mother's Day, here in the US anyway.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:49 PM   #287
boomkittie

I'm a NEWBIE!!! My name is Shelby.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:02 PM   #288
Lothiriel94

just about me.....

Hello my name is Lothiriel (I wish I was really her!) I have a big crush on Eomer. I love to read fanfiction and write and of course draw! I began reading The Lord of The Rings about 3 years ago when my boyfriend Shawn (who by the way has a striking resemblance to Celeborn....wierd) suggested them to me. Well I read it and loved it and later read the Hobbit, Silmarillion, and Unfinished Tales. Something really strange you might know is that I always read the end first, the think it makes the books better go figure... Anyway, I am also a big fan of the movies, they did an amazing job with it.
Okay, so really I only wish I was the queen of Rohan and spent my childhood on the beautiful beaches of Dol Amroth.... really my name is Andrea (I go by Andi) I am fairly tall and skinny with long brown hair and green eyes. I am 16 and live in Kentucky. I used to be in competitive gymnastics and have danced all my life. I used to want to be a dancer but recently changed my mind because I became borderline anorexic a few years ago and I don't think its a very good field for me ( yeah life sucks and nothings ever perfect) anyway.. now I want to be a writer and illustrator.
I absolutely love anything Tolkien or Lord of the Rings....don't know what I'd do without it....
well if you read that, wow! hehe I tend to get real wordy.... hope to talk to you around the boards... I am a little shy though.....well byebye!
Old 05-12-2004, 03:21 PM   #289
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Just checking in. Haven't been in the forums for awhile.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:38 PM   #290
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Welcome one and all!

Well, Lothiriel94, I take it you enjoy writing! Come check out the Are YOu Writing Serious FAntasy Part II thread. It has quite a few interesting conversations, and you might be interested if you write fantasy. If you write FAn Fiction, there is also a FAn Fiction place on the 'Downs...basically, there's a place for everyone! Have fun being dead! It's a blast!

Last edited by Sirithheruwen; 05-12-2004 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Added URL
Sirithheruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 06:27 PM   #291
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Lothiriel94,

If you like writing, you may also want to check out the Shire and the Green Dragon Inn. You can introduce yourself in character and later join an RPG.

Welcome to the Downs.

~Regin
Old 05-15-2004, 06:55 PM   #292
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Idril, Quicksilver, Smeagol, Annalaliath, boomkittie,

Welcome (or welcome back!) to the Downs. Please do feel free to come down to the Green Dragon Inn in the Shire. Take a look at the Red Book of Westmarch and then come into the Inn to post.

Cami Goodchild (~Child), Shire Mod (beginning roleplaying forum)
Old 05-17-2004, 10:21 AM   #293
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
well thanks Child of the 7th age. that was nice, but realy have the rules changed that much?
on a better note, welcome one and all and to prove that i am not too new, enjoy being dead.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:17 PM   #294
Bethelarien

Suilad! I am Bethelarien Lothmiriel, the Jewel-flower. I am quite excited to be here, and hope to both have fun and contribute here at this site.

A few little tidbits about myself...I am a writer. I love to write, whatever it is, it doesn't matter, but mostly fantasy. I do poetry on occasion, but it takes something...rather emotional to get me to do so.

I sing. I enjoy singing very much, and I've been told I'm good at it. Whatever.

I also act. I have acted in several roles, from Juliet to a French *ahem* dancer named Fifi. Okay, not quite a dancer, but.... Anywho, I enjoy it very much!

A quick question, one which has likely been asked and answered many times before--how does one go about obtaining an avatar? I would very much like one.

Thanks so much!
Old 05-18-2004, 01:04 PM   #295
Lhundulinwen
Wight

Send a message via AIM to Lhundulinwen Send a message via MSN to Lhundulinwen Send a message via Yahoo to Lhundulinwen
Hello, glad to have you here Bethelarien! We have several discussions about writing going right now that you may be interested in. First check out Are You Writing Serious Fantasy II and then go to Writer's Out There - What About Gender? . Oh, and don't forget about roleplaying! Start at The Green Dragon in The Shire.
As for an Avatar, check out the FAQ Page. For a good LOTR one, try www.lordoftherings.net. You can have any type you want though.
Hope you enjoy being dead!
Old 05-20-2004, 04:24 AM   #296
Arkenstone

Tolkien

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here :-) I'm from Australia and an 'older' LotR/Tolkien fan

I'll have to take a look around and get used to where everything is, I tend to get terribly lost when I go to a new place. All help will be appreciated :-)

I'm off to read some of threads.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:37 AM   #297
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Welcome to the Downs, Arkenstone! The forum is actually member-friendly (more than ever) and I'm sure you won't get lost easily. Enjoy being dead!
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 08:07 PM   #298
Lhundulinwen
Wight

Pipe

Well hello everybody! If you don't check in very often, lots of people join while you're not looking, so hope you all enjoy being dead, and don't be afraid to jump into a discussion. Just remember, have fun!
Old 05-23-2004, 04:35 PM   #299
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hello, fellow dead ppl! now that i'm one of you, i guess i should introduce myself. I am currently the functioning 'Evenstar of Country Folks', just because there's no one else to fill the void, i guess... there is too much about me to say here without sounding self-centered. (not an image i exactly want ) but i think i'll actually like being dead ~LoL~

*the Evenstar*
Old 05-24-2004, 01:09 PM   #300
Mablung

Hello Everybody!

I'm a new one here, too. And yes, I have read Lotr, and The Hobbit, and Sil many, many times.

I have already studied some of your discussions as a guest. And I've been glad to share your knowledge and good points about the Tolkienity.

That will be enough for an opening speech! Except that please excuse any flaws with my English, it's not my native language. (Sindarin is, of course! )

Mablung
Old 05-25-2004, 02:04 PM   #301
Mahal
Haunting Spirit

Mahal has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mahal
Hello, im stilling being here(well from time to time anyway ). Its Been awhile, since I last read all the books, so the memory is a little fuzzy(buzy with new books ).
Old 05-28-2004, 12:40 PM   #302
Dîm Silverrage

White Tree

Hey guys! I'm new here(hence why I'm posting in this thread). I LOVE LOTR's. I've read the trilogy about 7 or 8 times and the hobbit twice. I tried to read the Sil.... but I fell asleep. Way too much like a history book for me.

But anyways, I've been going to barrowdowns for a while for the name generator and such. But today I found out about this forum from Eowyn Skywalker who had recently joined a Star Wars RPG I'm a part of. So here I am!

~Dîm
Old 05-28-2004, 03:50 PM   #303
Lhundulinwen
Wight

Hey everybody new! A warm dead welcome to all of y'all. Ah I remember the newbie days.... lol.
99th post....
Old 05-28-2004, 04:05 PM   #304
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Boots

welcome to the downs! mr( or ms) silverrage! please have as much fun as you want and if you need anything pm your friendly local dancing prince! hey its my fault i got reincarnated as a no-shirt, boxing-glove wearing, dancing piano-for-a-head man...
Old 05-29-2004, 06:40 AM   #305
Dîm Silverrage

White Tree

Thanks a bunch!*feels welcomed* Add I feel your pain, Gil-Galad. My creator turned me into a mutant carrot....

Btw, It's Mr. Silverrage
Old 05-29-2004, 07:21 AM   #306
thalionkrisiel

Tolkien

Hi all

I have been visiting the Barrow Downs for ages, but I have never joined. I just finished watching ROTK on DVD and I felt like talking LOTR so here I am!

I am a very big fan of the films and the books and I hope to be posting lots
Old 05-29-2004, 03:51 PM   #307
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn Skywalker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Eowyn Skywalker
Yesssss... yes, I thought that it was you, Dîm Silverrage... *coughjedimindtrickscough* Yes... so you made it here alive... or more rightly, dead. Snrk. Welcome to the 'Downs, Nolo Erai. (Yes, I know very well who you are, and was looking for your post in the 'Dragon... found you. Your RPing is fine, you'll fit right in...)

And yet another newbe!!! Yay!!! Being a newbe is fun, as I still class myself as one... even with all my posts... So WELCOME, thalionkrisiel!!! I just finished watching RotK too... and I'M SO SAD! *Cries* BAD FRODO! Plus, I think I shall shoot Denethor... nooooo... I shall bean him with my garlic of DOOM! Yay!

Welcome to everyone who's newer than I am!! May the Force be with you all, it ain't easy being dead!

-Eowyn Skywalker
Eowyn Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 05:10 PM   #308
Lalaithnil

Ring Wee!

Finally, somewhere to talk about my hobby, Hobbits! And the other races...
Hello fellow Hobbit lovers! Yeah!
Old 05-31-2004, 11:03 PM   #309
Jade of Mordor

Dark-Eye

Mwahahahahahaha! I have ARRIVED! Fear me, for I come wielding the Flaming Pogostick of Death! Mwahah--*coughgaghack*

Um, yeah. Anyway, I'm Jade, newbie-ish type person on the Barrow Downs. I've been a huge Tolkien fan for years and all that. I've followed one of my best friends onto this forum, so blame her when I become a huge nuisance. *waves frantically at Lhundulinwen*
Old 06-01-2004, 11:29 AM   #310
Lhundulinwen
Wight

Tolkien Yes, beware the pogostick...

*waves back at Jade* Yes, I must confess Jade is my best friend.... I apologize ahead of time for any offensive things we may do together! lol mwhahaha...

Anywho, welcome to all the newbies and a welcome back for Jade. Enjoy y'all's time at the Downs!
Old 06-04-2004, 07:50 PM   #311
Lhundulinwen
Wight

White Tree

I normally don't double post, but here I am....
I will be gone from home for a little over a month and I really don't know how much time I'll have on the internet, so a big hello to all future members!

P.S.- I know a lot of members try to visit this thread every now and then, so would everyone tak a gander at the Books forum, even if you are normally an anti-book forum person? There is a read-along group starting up, and EVERYONE is invited! The plan is to read a chapter of LOTR a week and discuss it. (every last detail that we all love !!) Thank you!
Old 06-06-2004, 02:22 PM   #312
Audreidi
Pile O'Bones

Location: I'm not sure anymore, on account of my being dead and all.
Audreidi has just left Hobbiton.
Hi, all! I'm Audreidi...well, obviously...
I joined up because, while I consider myself a relatively avid Tolkien fan, I don't know as much about Lord of the Rings as I do Star Wars. I've got a little bit of brushing-up to do (as well as actually buying the books, though I have some really nice posters) so I thought Barrow-downs would be a good site to sign up on.
Um...yes...I got referred by a certain Eowyn Skywalker, my good Padawan.

--Audreidi & Jandalf, proud members and Twins of Optometry for the Society of Nearsighted Elves
Audreidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 02:47 PM   #313
Marcus

Hello everybody I am new here at the barrowdowns forum but I have visited the site frequently.
Well....a short presentation then. My name is Marcus and I come from a country which lies in northern regions of Europe. Yes that is right I am a swede

I am only 17 years old so therefore I am still a student. My maine subjects are social science and languages.
In my spare time I like to hang out with friends but that I seldom do, instead I am home and studying.

I have read the lord of the rings trilogy several times(3), the hobbit one time, The silmarillon two times at least!, the book of lost tales (1 and2)
Part from that I have also read different articles about JRR Tolkien and his life.
I consider myself a true Lord of the rings fan and I am pretty sure I have decent knowledge about the books and middlearth.

My main interest in middlearth is the valar, I find them very intersting beacuse they posses such great power.

At this forum I hope to learn a lot more about middlearth and the various cultures that exists there.

Yours sincerely/ Marcus.

Last edited by Marcus; 06-08-2004 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:00 PM   #314
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shield

Welcome to the Barrow-downs, Marcus, and Audriedi... enjoy being dead... mwha-ha-ha-ha. I know that I have, anyhow. *giggles*

Okay, enough with the... ummm... formalities... and now I must demand how on Earth you made it to the Barrow-downs without me noticing, master! *glares, and hides garlic pizzas that she WAS using to take over Barrow-downs with...* (And to the uninformed, which should be about everyone, it's a joke between Jandalf/Audriedi and I that I'm her 'Padawan'. Insane one, I might add... with garlic... anyone who was at the Barrow-downs birthday party would've noticed that...)

And Marcus, you will learn here... the Barrow-downs is the most informitive site on the internet when it comes to Tolkien, and that's saying a LOT!!! You'll like it here, or my name isn't' Eowyn Skywalker!!

Mwha-ha-ha... I'm no longer a newbe... giggle.

-Eowyn Skywalker
Old 06-12-2004, 04:35 PM   #315
Carnimírië
Wight

Carnimírië has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Hullo!
I’ve been lurking here since January and have finally decided to join the ranks of the dead. I love this site, it is definitely the best Tolkien-related forum I’ve been to. I’m 14, and am a newbie to Tolkien, only having read LotR last Christmas, but since then I’ve re-read it three times and also The Hobbit twice, The Silmarillion twice, and I bought UT recently and will certainly read it soon.

My nickname is from Quickbeam's song about the rowan trees. I really like the sound of it, and was surprised it hasn't already been taken.

Last edited by Carnimírië; 06-12-2004 at 05:03 PM.
Carnimírië is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 05:05 PM   #316
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Welcome to the Downs, Carnimírië! I like your name, and I think you'll enjoy UT.

Enjoy being dead!
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 06:16 PM   #317
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yes, welcome! It's actually fun being dead once you get used to the whole disimbodied voice thing... giggle. Also, being a blue wraithy thing isn't that bad either, I mean, Obi-Wan survived.

Oh... yeah... I'm suppose to be welcoming people.. sorry. Anyhow, welcome to the Downs!!!!

How long does it take to stop being a newbee anyhow? Giggle.

-Eowyn Skywalker
Old 06-13-2004, 04:05 PM   #318
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

elfearz1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elfearz1
Eye

Just popped in to say welcome to all the newbies!

and a quick hello to everyone!
elfearz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 07:36 PM   #319
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Welcome, welcome... Live long and prosper. Or not... more appropriately for this place, die young and stay long. To all newbies, welcome, and may you enjoy your death.

A tip for all, whether ye be young or old, new... or not...: Don't be afraid of the Books Forum. We may talk like boring old teachers who know more than is probably healthy about LotR, but we really are nice people. Don't let the 'academic' speech intimidate you, just throw in your own two cents. Chances are good that it'll be appreciated.

If you aren't into the book-style stuff, I heartily suggest haunting Middle Earth Mirth for a few laughs.

Fea
Old 06-16-2004, 06:17 PM   #320
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

....Um, actually, if you don't think that you can write book style posts, be afraid of the Books section, because someone'll rate your posts down... stick to Middle-earth Mirth... *giggles* That's my haunt... so... much... fun. Also, don't feel intiminated by the RPG section's high standards... it's really quite easy, you know. (Plus, when I first started, I knew NOTHING about RPing... Barrow-downs is a great place to learn how to role play!). Welcome all the new people! May the Force be with you... or, maybe, may the RING be with you... snrk.

But don't be too afraid to post... most of us don't bite, and our bark isn't that bad either... it's the really REALLY oldbe's that you'll have to worry about... the one's who think that there's no need for mods, because they know everything... sigh.

Mae govannan!

-Eowyn Skywalker