The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2004, 10:21 AM   #161
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

I haven't found the reference for this question, but I will venture a guess, Squatter - is it referring to the creation of languages?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 05:42 PM   #162
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe

I'm afraid not, Esty. It's nice to see that this thread has stopped vegetating, though.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:47 PM   #163
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

...or does Tolkien mean his book, LotR or perhaps the Silmarillion?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 01-23-2004, 07:46 AM   #164
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

Cease this wild guesswork! He's not talking about his writing or his languages.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 8:47 AM January 23, 2004: Message edited by: The Squatter of Amon Rûdh ]
Old 01-23-2004, 07:50 AM   #165
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Are you willing to give a tiny clue to reward me for at least attempting? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-23-2004, 07:52 AM   #166
Spectre of Decay

Pipe

I already did, two posts ago (22nd January).

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 8:55 AM January 23, 2004: Message edited by: The Squatter of Amon Rûdh ]
Old 01-26-2004, 08:19 AM   #167
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
'The notion that motor-cars are more "alive" than, say, centaurs or dragons is curious,' he says at one point; 'that they are more "real" than, say, horses is pathetically absurd. How real, how startlingly alive, is a factory chimney compared with an elm-tree: poor obsolete thing, insubstantial dream of an escapist.'
Taken from "Tree and Leaf"(1964)
Old 01-30-2004, 11:02 AM   #168
Spectre of Decay

Pipe

More specifically from On Fairy-stories. The answer is, of course, an elm-tree; being a satirical reversal of claims of 'escapism'. Well remembered.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:40 PM   #169
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Thank you.

Give the explanation Tolkien gives to why Hobbits are small in size.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:07 AM   #170
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Well, one does need to have a habit of reading small print to find that answer! (...or the idea of looking through the very excellent index to Tolkien's Letters... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) Here's what he says:
Quote:
They are made small (little more than half human stature, but dwindling as the years pass) partly to exhibit the pettiness of man, plain unimaginative parochial man... mostly to show up, in creatures of very small physical power, the amazing and unexpected heroism of ordinary men 'at a pinch'.
(PS - Mariska, I'm looking forward to a new 'minor works' question...)

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 4:12 AM February 03, 2004: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
Old 02-03-2004, 04:43 AM   #171
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

That's the correct answer of course.

ps: I'll post a new minor work question right away...
Old 02-04-2004, 07:30 AM   #172
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Which Canadian collaborated with Tolkien on several of his scholarly works and which not so serious endeavour did they begin together?
Old 02-07-2004, 03:34 PM   #173
Spectre of Decay

Pipe

E.V. Gordon, his collaborator in compiling an edition of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. Together they began the Viking Club for undergraduates, the main activities of which appear to have been drinking beer, reading sagas and singing comic songs.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:39 PM   #174
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

That's the right person, Squatter - go ahead with a new one!
Old 02-07-2004, 04:48 PM   #175
Spectre of Decay

Pipe

Who was 'Jo'?
Old 02-10-2004, 06:43 AM   #176
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"Jo" was the first car Tolkien bought(in 1932), it was a Morris Cowley, and it was named "Jo" because the that were the first two letters of the license plate.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:28 PM   #177
Spectre of Decay

Pipe

You're absolutely right, Mariska. Let's have another one.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:18 AM   #178
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Thanks!

What is T.C.B.S., what was it's vision, and to what did it lead?
Old 02-11-2004, 04:11 AM   #179
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

T.C.B.S. was the Tea Club and Barrovian Society (the latter name could apply to this forum! ); it was started to exchange opinions on literature and to do readings (I couldn't find a reference to a specific vision in the books I checked); and it led to a theater performance of Sheridan's The Rivals, in which JRRT played Mrs Malaprop!! Wouldn't that have been a sight?!
Old 02-11-2004, 04:35 AM   #180
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

You're absolutely right, Ghosted Princess!
Old 02-11-2004, 07:56 AM   #181
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Late in life Tolkien was swamped with fan mail while he wanted to finish the Silmarillion. Who became his part-time secretary and assistant and who gave that person the assignment?
Old 02-12-2004, 06:09 AM   #182
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
out of the top of my head - probably Carpenter and probably Auden?

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 07:23 AM   #183
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

No and no, HI - try again! Carpenter was his biographer, but not secretary, and Auden was neither.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:38 AM   #184
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
hum...

I have a vague feeling I must know the answer, it just keeps haunting the cusps of my memory, but I can not get hold of it.

Neither one, you say?

Well, it must wait till I get anywhere near my bookshelf, than

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 02:00 AM   #185
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Here's a clue for this question - maybe that will help get the search for the answer started again! The person is a woman - since Tolkien didn't have many female acquaintances, that should make it easier.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:48 PM   #186
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien's secretary

Esty,

You must mean Joy Hill. She dealt with Tolkien's fan mail, and I think she was assigned to the job by the folk at Allen & Unwin. Sometimes she came down in person to Bournemouth.

I remember her name for another reason. When Hill was putting Tolkien's library in order, she found the poem Bilbo's Last Song written in an exercise book. It had apparently been "lost". In gratitude, Tolkien presented the poem to her, with its copyright, on 3 September 1970. In 1974, after Tolkien's death, both Houghton Mifflin and Allen & Unwin printed up a poster with this poem that was printed over a picture of a river scene. These were copyrighted under Hill's name and are technically "first editions". I have one of these posters hanging in my house because I love the poem. I also have the jigsaw puzzle of this same scene that came out two years later in the U.S. (I know.....I know....I'm hopelessly "addicted".)

Sorry for that digression. Now let's hope I have the right person!

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 02-19-2004 at 12:56 PM.
Child of the 7th Age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 01:16 PM   #187
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That's the right answer, Child, and thanks for the additional information!! Lucky you, to have such a wonderful collectible! Do you know if that poem has been published recently enough to be found in bookstores somewhere?
Old 02-20-2004, 02:05 PM   #188
Child of the 7th Age

Esty,

Yes, it's definitely available in bookstores. Or if you can't find it there, look on e-bay. It only costs $8-12 and the illustrations are quite nice, since they are done by Pauline Baynes.

Let's see now.....another question..... Here's one of mythic proportions.

Shopkeepers who dealt with the elderly Professor Tolkien sometimes received what surprise in their hand?
Old 02-23-2004, 05:15 AM   #189
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

haha, this is funny!
He surprised shopkeepers by displaying his extra set of false teeth amidst the handful of change he held out to them.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:05 AM   #190
Child of the 7th Age

Absolutely right, Mariska! The professor must have had a strain of hobbitish blood. I can not imagine an Elf or Man doing this....

Please continue with your question.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:22 AM   #191
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Thanks.

Well, we do know that Tolkien was a very funny person, and didn't take himself too serious, so this is my next question:

He once participated in a swimming contest. What was so funny about that?
Old 03-02-2004, 04:37 AM   #192
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Do you need a hint?

(Just gave one...)
Old 03-03-2004, 02:27 AM   #193
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Did he swim with his hat on? (I've paged through the biography, trying unsuccessfully to find a reference, so this is only a guess. I'm assuming that was the clue...) Should that be the right answer, please do tell more about it!
Old 03-03-2004, 03:06 AM   #194
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

the was indeed the clue.
Tolkien once participated in a swimming contest while wearing a Panama hat and smoking his pipe. Imagine that!

I got this from Tolkien's biography by Professor Ralph C. Wood.

back to you Estelyn.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:11 PM   #195
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

This brief poem is admittedly not one of Tolkien's most brilliant works ; but it was his reaction to criticism on what?

Quote:
___ ____ __ ___ _____
is one of those things:
if you like you do:
if you don't, then you boo!
Old 03-04-2004, 03:34 AM   #196
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

I believe it's about the criticism on Lord of the Rings in general, or is it more specific?

The Lord of the Rings
is one of those things:
if you like you do:
if you don't, then you boo!
Old 03-04-2004, 08:49 AM   #197
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That's the right answer, Mariska - your turn to post a new question.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:20 AM   #198
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Tolkien referred to someone as an "Olympian". Who was this person?
Old 03-12-2004, 02:34 AM   #199
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Hint needed?
Old 03-12-2004, 03:32 AM   #200
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Yes, please - I have been thinking about this, but have no idea where to start looking...