The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-23-2003, 08:00 PM   #921
Pyroclastic
Haunting Spirit

Pyroclastic has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey Lyta, glad to have you here!
I feel like Frodo being galloped along to Rivendell, as I'm trying to finish my story in time. It's turning out better than expected, but the humor is more subtle than I had originally planned. I'm happy with it though. Tallyho!
Old 08-24-2003, 12:36 AM   #922
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Best of luck, Pyro! I've submitted mine to the judges and await the axe! And I've realized that somehow, I'm going to have to walk more than 3 miles a session to make it to Rivendell on time! It is time to take a crash course in fitness and endurance, I suppose! Trying to make it out of the Shire!

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 03:58 AM   #923
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have now walked 249 miles, and getting closer.. The journey is long, but pleasant, with very little disturbance (such as Black Riders, evil trees and Barrow Wights..) I feel very motivated! *smiles*
I thought I would have much less time to walk now when school has started (19th), but realised it isn´t so; I will still walk, or bike, about 20-25 miles a week, but save most of it for the weekends. Dad and I often go out for a walk (or, as today, mushroom-picking) in the woods, and I mostly have my bike rides in the evenings, at 10 or 11, when it´s getting dark.

And, can anyone tell me where I am on my way? I don´t know where to find the place where you could check.
Thanks in advance,
Eärendil. *bows*
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 04:56 AM   #924
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Here it is, Eärendil: Walk to Rivendell; you can find it from the site's main page, in the left column under Fun and Games.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 10:42 AM   #925
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thank you very much Esty! *smiles and bows*

EDIT: Hmm...the Weather Hills. Interesting, and near to Weathertop. I am getting closer...*smiles*

"In the morning they found, for the first time since they had left the Chetwood, a track plain to see. They turned right and followed it southwards. It ran cunningly, taking a line that seemed chosen so as to keep as much hidden as possible from the view, both of the hill-tops above and of the flats to the west. It dived into dells, and hugged steep banks; and where it passed over flatter and more open ground on either side of it there were lines of large boulders and hewn stones that screened the travellers almost like a hedge."

[ August 24, 2003: Message edited by: Eärendil ]
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:58 PM   #926
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Thank You Faenaduial for your congratulations.

Welcome to Rivendell, Estelyn! Have some green tea. The kitchen staff tried to give me mint tea but I remembered I had packed green tea of my own for just such an emergency. Enjoy your rest.

Arwen Baggins & Alatáriël I can see you coming in the distance. Watch out for the black riders! I've got tea and coffee brewing for when you arrive, Elven cream optional.

Ya know, I feel rather torn, I'm already 20 miles on the road to Lothlorien, and I keep running back to Rivendell to cheer y'all on.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:37 PM   #927
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

I'd like cream in that tea Rae. Try to keep it warm for me, and I'll be there to get it by Wednesday!
It was a crisp morning, and we walked for more that five miles today. I can almost see Rivendell in the distance!
We have walked 449.2 miles.
We have reached the Ford of Bruinen! (436)
We have only 8.80000000000001 miles to Rivendell!!!!!
ArwenBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 05:15 PM   #928
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatáriël Lossëhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Arwen Baggins & Alatáriël, I can see you coming in the distance. Watch out for the black riders! I've got tea and coffee brewing for when you arrive, Elven cream optional. Ya know, I feel rather torn, I'm already 20 miles on the road to Lothlorien, and I keep running back to Rivendell to cheer y'all on.
Raefindel: Those Black Riders won't be bothering us for a while. They should have been wearing their life vests. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] I'm ready for that coffee with Elven cream, please. Keep on walking...don't wait on us. I'll see you in Lothlórien!

Estelyn: Congratulations on reaching Rivendell! I'm right behind you.

We slept late this morning, and walked without hurry towards Rivendell, enjoying the day. We met some of Elrond's folk having a picnic by a stream, and joined them for some barbeque and ice tea (love those Texas elves). What a welcome change from cram! We'll continue on and reach Rivendell tomorrow...in time for my TTT showing.

--------------------

The Elves all burst into song. Suddenly under the trees a fire sprang up with a red light. "Come!" the Elves called to the hobbits. "Come! Now is the time for speech and merriment!" Pippin sat up and rubbed his eyes. He shivered. "There is a fire in the hall, and food for hungry guests," said an Elf standing before him.

...upon the tree-pillars torches with lights of gold and silver were burning steadily. The Elves sat round the fire upon the grass or upon the sawn rings of old trunks. Some went to and fro bearing cups and pouring drink; others brought food on heaped plates and dishes. "This is poor fare," they said to the hobbits; "for we are lodging in the greenwood far from our halls. If ever you are our guests at home, we will treat you better."
Old 08-24-2003, 06:07 PM   #929
BlingBlingtheWarriorElf
Newly Deceased

BlingBlingtheWarriorElf has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I'm a little late joining but I've been walking all the same. I've been walking with my Mom, Faenaduial, and just registered on the BD. Before this weekend we were halfway to Rivendell. Must tally up this weekends miles and repost later.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:22 PM   #930
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Welcome to the Downs,BlingBlingtheWarriorElf.

I wish I had someone to walk with! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2003, 06:25 AM   #931
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ah, I finally made it! Now for a nice foot soak and a proper meal! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 07:53 AM   #932
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Linnamalle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh, dear, I've fallen SO far behind, and it looks like rain today... I so envy all of you who have arrived! Hilde, Congratulations! Well done, to everyone at Rivendell!

And to the rest of us... we CAN do it!
They spoke no more of the small news of the Shire far away; nor of the dark shadows and perils that encompassed them, but of the fair things they had seen in the world together, of the Elves, of the stars, of trees, and the gentle fall of the bright year in the woods.
Linnamalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 12:03 PM   #933
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Same here, Rae. I had a walking companion for about twelve miles but now it's just me and the dog.

Well, here I am at the Weather Hills. Look, it's not even close to October! I have plenty of time. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I've been slacking off recently. First I got a terrible blister; while clambering up rocks after Aragorn I twisted my ankle; after that was healed and he suggested walking four miles, but my foot started hurting again after 1/5 of the first mile and we realized it wasn't fully healed; and finally it's the walking song. I keep trying to sing some jolly hobbit song, but nothing ever comes to my lips but The Fields of Athenry (I'm trying to make up my mind whether I love or hate that song), and then I want to sit down and cry. I did once, but fortunately Aragorn didn't see me. Though I'm sure he would have understood.

Aragorn absolutely insists on walking a few miles today. He says if we find that my poor ankle is still a bit sore still, we'll take it a bit easy. But still, we're walking. As long as my foot holds out, I say hurrah to that. If only Aragorn could stand behind me with a whip (and gag me so I couldn't sing that song), then we could get to mile 270 today, or farther.

Congratulations Estelyn and Hilde! Sadly I won't be joining you before the Two Towers video & DVD release. If I did, I think everyone would be very impressed. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2003, 12:52 PM   #934
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Thank heavens, it didn't rain, it's actually a rather lovely day. And I was able to put in a good long walk. So-- here I am at the fords at last! I am weary, but so far I haven't passed out. Now to get to Rivendell. Twenty miles to go! I'm coming....

Nurumaiel, I'm sorry about your injury! I do hope you are fully sound, soon.

I know what you mean about the walking song. I wish I could write one, too. Hmmm, maybe we should pray for inspiration.

[ August 25, 2003: Message edited by: Linnamalle ]
They spoke no more of the small news of the Shire far away; nor of the dark shadows and perils that encompassed them, but of the fair things they had seen in the world together, of the Elves, of the stars, of trees, and the gentle fall of the bright year in the woods.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:50 PM   #935
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Everyone's in higer spirits now that we're only three miles from Rivendell. That strange 'barbeque' thing we had for lunch was very spicy, but left a wonderful taste in my mouth.
Strider said we may walk more later, and might be able to see Rivendell on the horizon.
We have walked 455 miles.
We have reached the Ford of Bruinen! (436)
We have only 3 miles to Rivendell!!!
Old 08-25-2003, 08:29 PM   #936
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Silmaril

Wooohooo!! Rivendell at last...and in time for dinner! It's just as beautiful here as I remembered. There were many times on the Road that I despaired of ever reaching The Last Homely House. Tomorrow I'll be taking it easy and watching TTT with Elladan and Elrohir.

Linnamalle, I can see you coming! **waves madly** Elrond says there will be a feast this weekend...hope you can make it. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

--------------------

"..it seems impossible, somehow, to feel gloomy or depressed in this place. I feel I could sing, if I knew the right song for the occasion."

"I feel like singing myself," laughed Frodo. "Though at the moment I feel more like eating and drinking!"

"That will soon be cured," said Pippin. "You have shown your usual cunning in getting up just in time for a meal."

"More than a meal! A feast!" said Merry. "As soon as Gandalf reported that you were recovered, the preparations began." He had hardly finished speaking when they were summoned to the hall by the ringing of many bells.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:04 PM   #937
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Sting

Hi, all y'all folks who are SOOOOOOOO far ahead of me! I can sympathize and empathize with your injury woes, Nurumaiel! I have only done a paltry 31 miles, and already the question of good walking shoes has arisen anew. I never even thought about it until I realized that my feet were falling off when I wasn't even tired yet! I've been trying to walk a little farther every day and today I made it for 4.5 miles (including 3 circuits of an old cemetery I like to call the Barrowdowns!). I have an awful set of matching blisters on the outside of both big toes and I think my shoes will not do for this challenge!

If it isn't replicating earlier discussion, can anyone tell me what shoes/boots they use to walk for this endeavor? Especially those of you who have been at it awhile! I have a pair of Doc Martens boots, but haven't worn them in awhile. Would they be better than my no-name walking tennis shoes? Or something different? If this is a rehash, feel free to PM me with your ideas on this so it doesn't clog the thread!

Oh, and BTW, I've made it to the Black Rider Stopping Place! I don't think I'll take my shoes off at this particular landmark! (being vewy vewy quiet....)

Cheers,
Lyta

P.S. I'm REAL glad I didn't start on Sept. 22 like I had thought to do at first! I'm going to have a hard enough time making it there in time!
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Old 08-25-2003, 09:11 PM   #938
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

YAY! I finally moved ten miles further! Oh happy day!

Though I can't update my mileage yet...the journal with all my mileage is not with me at the moment...
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 11:03 PM   #939
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

I wear plain old Costco sneakers. They have never given me a moments distress.

However for those of you who are trying to deal with blisters there is a porduct by Dr Sholes available just about everywhere. It used to be called "Moleskin" but I think the name has changed. It is like really thick felt with an adhesive back. You stick it directly to your foot to cushion a spot where your shoe is rubbing. It will usually stay even through 2 or 3 showers. It really helps.

Welcome to Rivendell Alatáriël & Hilde! Have some coffee. Look, here is a hot spring where you can soak your feet while you wtch the arrival or other adventurers.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:05 AM   #940
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Many thanks, Nurumaiel, Linnamalle & Raefindel! And thank you for the coffee!

Nuru, if you do make it today I would suspect that you found a descendant of Shadowfax! That would wonderful. But I hope that your ankle does mend fully soon for you, otherwise I will keep an eye out for a good horse.

ArwenBaggins, I can see you approaching. Looks like Rivendell is going to have a nice group today!

Congratulations Alatariel!

[ August 27, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]
Old 08-26-2003, 11:36 AM   #941
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Another good day. Fourteen miles to go! Can't wait for the singing! Can't wait! Can't wait!
Old 08-26-2003, 02:46 PM   #942
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

We reached Rivendell early this morning, and in high spirits. (I had school today, just got home an hour ago.) I can't wait for the feast this weekend, for Lord Elrond says that 'twill be a feast of a hungry hobbit's proportion, and I am a hungry hobbit!
I'll be waiting for everyone in the hotspring with a cup of Elven tea!
Old 08-26-2003, 03:42 PM   #943
Galenfea of Mirkwood.
Wight

Location: Road2Rivendell: 250miles (somewhere near Weathertop)
Galenfea of Mirkwood. has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
I'd like to greet my fellow walkers, but I'm too far behind them!
Cheer up, you're in front of me! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Galenfea of Mirkwood. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 10:19 AM   #944
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Sting

Cheeer up, Galenfea! You're ahead of me!!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Many thanks to Raefindel for the suggestion of moleskin for my poor aching feet! I haven't been able to get any yet and am substituting band-aids, but I plan to get some today! Despite my husband's suggestion I skip a day to heal my feet, the band-aids gave me enough relief so that I could go 3 more miles. It has become rather a compulsion! I only wish I had more time to walk! If I don't get it soon, I may have to start running! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] (And that would be a return to one of my teenage obsessions that eventually ruined my knees--maybe I can be smarter this time!)

Cheers,
Lyta (still working on becoming the "bold, hard halfling" with strong legs and endless endurance...uh, are we there yet? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) OK, so I'm still part of the Hobbit walking tour! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2003, 10:58 AM   #945
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Congratulations, Arwen, for your success in reaching Rivendell. I should be there in the next month or so, if I can make myself start walking.

Unfortunately no horse sired by Shadowfax came my way, so I'm not there yet. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Tomorrow I'm going on a three-hour trail ride, however, and that should get some pretty good mileage, especially if I'm riding my Acorn, the perfect horse for any Hobbit.

The blister is still bothering me, but the ankle is healed! After making that discovery I went to tell Strider. He got up and started walking after giving me a strange look. I hope he doesn't think I was faking it. The blister is no problem. With my Elven boots (and the aid of a band-aid) it doesn't bother me at all. Maybe I can get to mile 260 today. Well, maybe not. Strider told me that was what he wanted to do, so I guess I'll have to try, right?

Anyone in the area of 250 miles? Curious if I've got a walking companion of one sort.

Wonder how mark12_30 is doing on the road. I really should email her...
Old 08-27-2003, 03:36 PM   #946
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Thanks for the Congrats Nuru!
I'm still in Rivendell, waiting for the others. I'm walking, but not going anywhere until I've eaten everything I can.
I can't wait to see some new people here!
Old 08-28-2003, 04:55 AM   #947
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Nice to see you ArwenBaggins! Have a cup of tea, and when your finished I have discovered a very well stocked larder, to which I have been told to help myself… [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Where is Linnamalle? I think we will have some more company very soon!
Old 08-28-2003, 06:13 AM   #948
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Nurumaiel - We are very near eachother, at least for now. I have walked 255 miles, struggling (ok, not really) on my own. (No Elwing with me...) Getting closer Weathertop and will soon leave it behind me.
Wave and shout a little (if you´re not afraid of drawing the Black Riders´ attention to yourself) and I might discover where you are! *smiles*
Old 08-28-2003, 07:12 AM   #949
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Linnamalle is here! I have ten miles to go... Today looks terribly busy, but I'll see what progress I can make. Perhaps this evening!

It's ironic that I finally wrote a walking song at the END of my walk to Rivendell. But it's more of a life-walking song, so I guess it's okay! And I want to keep the copyright... so I guess I'm glad I didn't enter it into the contest. I'll put a link to it, once it's posted... I need to figure out how I'm going to post the tune. (You know how these things go-- the tune may be revised without warning... Then again, the tune works also for The Road Goes Ever On, so maybe I'll keep it...? Decisions, decisions! Lol!)

[ August 28, 2003: Message edited by: Linnamalle ]
Old 08-28-2003, 10:19 PM   #950
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Quote:
If it isn't replicating earlier discussion, can anyone tell me what shoes/boots they use to walk for this endeavor?
Lyta: I learned the hard way...don't wear dwarf boots! I wear some lovely elven slippers that I got at ElfMart, with some inserts that have heel and ball of foot cushions and arch supports. I also use the Dr. Scholl's moleskin pads. When I have blister problems, I cut small pieces of foam cosmetic wedges and secure with adhesive tape. Very cushiony socks also help.

Hilde: Come join Arwen and the rest of us in the hot spring..it does wonders for sore and aching muscles and feet.

Nurumaiel: Glad your ankle is better. Try some moleskin or bits of foam cosmetic wedges for those blisters.

Linnamalle: We're saving a spot in the hot spring for you! (not to mention a seat at the feast [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] )

Quote:
Welcome to Rivendell Alatáriël & Hilde! Have some coffee. Look, here is a hot spring where you can soak your feet while you watch the arrival of other adventurers.
Oooh, thanks, Rae! Absolutely delicious! It's been wonderful the past few days, just lazing around in the hot spring with the twins, and watching TTT. Since there's two of them, I can have both feet massaged at the same time--aaahh!! Fabulous food, hot springs, foot massages, and TTT...what more could an Elf want? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] However, I want to make it to Lórien by December 17, so it's time to swear in the sheriff and get this show back on the road! Mt. Doom isn't getting any closer.

--------------------

...such was the virtue of the land of Rivendell that soon all fear and anxiety was lifted from their minds. The future, good or ill, was not forgotten, but ceased to have any power over the present. Health and hope grew strong in them, and they were content with each good day as it came, taking pleasure in every meal, and in every word and song.

So the days slipped away, as each morning dawned bright and fair, and each evening followed cool and clear. But autumn was waning fast; slowly the golden light faded to pale silver, and the lingering leaves fell from the naked trees. A wind began to blow chill from the Misty Mountains to the east. The Hunter's Moon waxed round in the night sky, and put to flight all the lesser stars. But low in the South one star shone red. Every night, as the Moon waned again, it shone brighter and brighter. Frodo could see it from his window, deep in the heavens, burning like a watchful eye that glared above the trees on the brink of the valley.

[ August 29, 2003: Message edited by: Alatáriël ]

[ August 29, 2003: Message edited by: Alatáriël ]
Old 08-29-2003, 10:49 AM   #951
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Quote:
However, I want to make it to Lórien by December 17
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Eek! How many miles is that I wonder? And I was just getting used to it here, too, propping up my feet, watching TTT and eatting some German chocolate cake to celebrate! And yes thank you, I'll just have another piece of that blackberry pie before I set out....
Old 08-29-2003, 10:59 AM   #952
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

I plan to walk five more miles today, though how I have no idea. Yesterday I walked 12 miles in all on my Shire pony. As we crossed the Great Road we came to a long stretch of dirt through the trees and Strider gave us permission to canter to the end. Strider and Sam stayed behind with Frodo. I think part of the reason Sam did that was to stay with Frodo, but I also think he was afraid to ride so fast. Do you know that instead of just one pony this time we have a pony for each hobbit and one horse for Strider? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Everyone but Strider was feeling very weary as we came to a stopping point for a meal. I don't know about Strider, but everyone was very hungry. My fellow Hobbits had breakfast but they're Hobbits, and I unwisely missed it. Strider didn't have feelings for any of us besides Frodo and he made us take care of the horses ourselves! Of course he let Sam off to go find herbs and everything for a meal. His horse was still extremely energetic, and while our tired ponies were easy to take care of, the three of us (Merry, Pippin, and myself) had to work together. Poor Merry had to keep becoming a stool for Pippin and I to stand on!

Afterwards we returned wearily to the campsite and found a delicious meal waiting for us. We were so tired we just sat down and began to eat. Sam asked Strider how much longer it was to Rivendell. Strider said 188 miles, and the three workers couldn't even rejoice, we just exchanged delighted looks.

Strider says we have to walk at least 5 miles today. He wants to walk more, but I think he's finally beginning to appreciate the fact that we aren't Rangers like he is. And now I better be off so we can start on our first mile. Strider says we can't ride the ponies this time because they're more exhausted than we are. I'm sure he gets to ride his horse though.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:50 AM   #953
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Quote:
However, I want to make it to Lórien by December 17

Eek! How many miles is that I wonder? And I was just getting used to it here, too, propping up my feet, watching TTT and eating some German chocolate cake to celebrate! And yes thank you, I'll just have another piece of that blackberry pie before I set out....
Hilde: My atlas shows 285 miles from Rivendell to Lórien; 393 miles from Lórien to Rauros; and 470 miles from Rauros to Mt. Doom--a total of 1,606 miles from Bag End to Mt. Doom. Lórien by December 17...Mt. Doom by September 22, 2004? I think I can! I think I can!
Old 08-29-2003, 01:17 PM   #954
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Hmmm.... That would be close to 2 3/4 miles a day provided Caradhras will let us pass (hey, a pun), or will we choose Moria? Or then again maybe Redhorn Pass. Such decisions!

At anyrate, many thanks for the goal Nurumaiel!

Come to think of it, Redhorn Pass would be the long way 'round to Lorien wouldn't it? Maybe I can visit it on the return trip to the Shire. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ August 29, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]
Old 08-29-2003, 02:18 PM   #955
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Well, folks, the short stories are now up on the Éowyn Challenge site, so we can read them and vote for the best. We don't know which ones are by our members, so the voting will be objective - best wishes to those of you who entered!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 05:00 PM   #956
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

450 miles! I'm nearly there!
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 07:34 PM   #957
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

I'm having a tTT party tonight, and I'm sitting her in a long dress with my blonde hair in Elven braids. I feel stupid, but I'm not the only one!
I plan on leaving Rivendell soon for Lòrien, but I'll still cheer ya'll on!
Old 08-29-2003, 08:04 PM   #958
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

peony_foxburr has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peony_foxburr
Sting

Peony Foxburr's alter ego sighed, and took another long swallow of ice water. "Every time I have some days off from work, the weather is hot and humid again..."

"Get up earlier, then, you lazy slug!" the hobbit snapped back. "I've been stuck here for days, waiting to reach the Last Bridge! Everyone else is getting to Rivendell before us. If you don't hurry up, all the blackberry pie will be gone."

The alter ego sighed again, and resolved (again) NOT to hit the snooze alarm in the morning...and not to stay up too late the night before...

"No excuses, now," Peony told her, before she hit the "Add Reply" button.
"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water."
-The Return of the King
peony_foxburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 09:35 PM   #959
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Sting

Thanks for the advice, Alatariël! Elf-Mart! I love that name, except I've yet to see an elf inside it (lots of orcs and trolls though-dangerous place)! I shop almost exclusively at thrift stores and yard sales, except for perishables and other modern conveniences. I found a very good pair of barely used Nikes today at a thrift store and wore them for my walk this evening. 200% better on the feet! I will need arch supports for them, but it was SO much easier with proper shoes than it had been! And that's a good thing! I've estimated that I'll have to walk an average of 3.77 miles a day to make it to Rivendell on time! Anyone else wondering how in Middle Earth they're going to make it on time?
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta (47 miles along--past Woody End now!)
Old 08-30-2003, 12:49 PM   #960
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

6 miles yesterday! As we sat down for dinner Strider complimented us, though I don't see what for. I'm sure compared to what he can do, it was absolutely nothing. I take it, however, that we did better than we usually do. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] We had a delicious soup and some bread for dinner. Sam is an absolute marvel at cooking, I must say! While he cooked Merry, Pippin, and I discussed Rivendell and what it would be like (actually, the evening consisted of playing a LotR board game).

After dinner we really enjoyed ourselves singing and dancing. Strider, Frodo, and Sam rather just watched, though Sam consented to sing a few songs for us. I don't know what Strider thought of our party before we reached Rivendell. I told him we were celebrating the arrival of our friends.

Now I'm laughing insanely as I think of how Strider, Merry, Pippin, Frodo, and Sam are in so many places at once!

Lyra, good luck! And it's nice to see you around.

Arwen, don't feel ashamed. I plan to invite some friends over some day for a day of watching FotR and tTT, and we shall unashamedly be wearing LotR costumes. I'll also be dressing up when I reach Rivendell. Who says I'm too old to enjyo dressing up?

Peony, I have the same problem. I need an alarm clock that plays LotR music or something. But I have excuses for sleeping in late, because I'm in bed after midnight. Strider doesn't like that very much, naturally. It holds us up a lot. I tried to tell him I was watching The Long and Short of It but he totally ignored me. Even if he did listen he'd tell me it was a short film. But I also had to watch the making of it, the tTT trailers, the special edition preview, and the RotK preview (which looks so awesome).

Lyta, keep up the good work! You're doing much better than I did. It took me a couple months to reach Frodo's campsite at 18 miles! Can you believe it? For me it's all about have enough courage to start the walking for the day, then it's a cinch. I had real walking companions yesterday, not just imaginary Merrys and Pippins, and that made it so much easier.

Better be off now. Strider's calling. I do nothing but grumble about him, but he's actually pretty great... for one of the Big Folk.