The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-27-2006, 05:02 PM   #1
Morgoth Bauglir
Shade of Carn Dűm

Morgoth Bauglir has just left Hobbiton.
oldest person in middle earth

or oldest elf i guess...at the time of the end of the third age.

wouldnt it be galadriel?
Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:10 PM   #2
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I think it is Cirdan the Shipwight.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:07 AM   #3
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Mormegil is correct, Cirdan took part in the westward journey of the Elves, and was amongst those who searched longest for Elwe. Finarfin being the son of Finwe was born in the Blessed Realm along with his own daughter Galadriel, somewhat later.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:15 AM   #4
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Leaf

Right, best to keep it to elves, as factoring in Treebeard and Bombadil raises that other thorny question.

I don't think anyone has ever asked how old Goldberry is. Since she has some power to control the weather, one would think she is belongs to the earlier characters who shaped Arda, although obviously her mother would be older than her. No time travelling confusions here!
Old 10-28-2006, 11:16 AM   #5
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
How old is Glorfindel?
Old 10-28-2006, 12:34 PM   #6
Laleena
Animated Skeleton

Laleena has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf

Glorfindel, I read somewhere, was reincarnated. He died in the wars of Gondolin.
So he must be older than the wars of Gondolin. (don't ask me to do the math, I'm not good at it )
Old 11-30-2006, 10:28 AM   #7
yavanna II

yavanna II has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
I think it is Cirdan the Shipwight.
I can't quote, since I don't have a book (it's probably just under my bed or something), but Cirdan has a beard and has very long and white(?) hair. And for Elves to have beards they have to be thousands of years old, right?
yavanna II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:46 AM   #8
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Yep, Yavanna, Cirdan does have a beard:
Quote:
'Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and he was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars...'~The Grey Havens
Those elves that entered into the third (which I believe is the last) life cycle had beards. This would mean that the eldest of the Eldar had beards. On Middle-earth (of the Elves we are told about), I honestly think it's pretty clear Cirdan was the oldest. As Cirdan was one of the first elves to arrive in Middle-earth and he would be the last one to leave:
Quote:
Some he [Osse] persuaded to remain; and those were the Falathrim, of Brithombar and Eglarest, the first mariners in Middle-earth and the first makers of ships. Cirdan the Shipwright was their lord.~Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Eldalie
Quote:
'But as for me, my heart is with the Sea, and I will dwell by my grey shores until the last ship sails.'~Appendix B: Tale of Years
Old 11-30-2006, 12:00 PM   #9
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Just because a Mrs Cirdan isn't mentioned doesn't mean she definitely didn't exist though. Mrs Thranduil isn't mentioned but she must have existed. Since Tolkien says that marriage early in life was the norm for elves, there celarly wasn't the imbalance in the genders as occurred with dwarves - though if you look at the extant elvish geanealogies you would think that the gender imbalance was even greater among elves than the dwarves ..... alas for the unwritten history of women ....

As for kinship - the Valar were unborn yet were still regarded as having siblings who were coeval in spirit. It is not impossible that a similar attitude was taken with the first elves...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:52 PM   #10
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Just as Yavanna and Manwe had a special relationship separate from Yavanna's relationship with Aule, perhaps Mrs. Cirdan and Celeborn had one also, which would explain her absence from The Grey Havens at the fateful time of the famous departure. I don't think there's any question, though, that a Mrs. Cirdan sported a beard.

Frankly, I sometimes wonder if those blue wizards who went east weren't clothed in female robes. Another reason why their story is untold.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:29 AM   #11
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Arguably Bombadil.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #12
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
It cannot be Tom Bombadil.

We only have his ramblings about being the eldest and remembering the first raindrops to support the theory, which is a shaky foundation at best. Also we don't even know what he is. . . if he is a deity does he still count as a person?

At least we know something about Cirdan.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #13
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
It cannot be Tom Bombadil.

We only have his ramblings about being the eldest and remembering the first raindrops to support the theory, which is a shaky foundation at best. Also we don't even know what he is. . . if he is a deity does he still count as a person?

At least we know something about Cirdan.
I agree with you, Rune. It would be Cirdan, as defined by "person". We are not altogether sure what Bombadil "is".
Old 01-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #14
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Since we don't know who/what "is" Bombadil, we can't really place him anywhere on the timeline. I remember reading somewhere in The Sil that the Ents appeared around the same time as Elves were born, which would make Treebeard one of the oldest (if you count him as a person). Cirdan is definitely the oldest Elf. If we count ainur to be "people", they are older than all the rest, except for Eru.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:09 AM   #15
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Since we don't know who/what "is" Bombadil, we can't really place him anywhere on the timeline. I remember reading somewhere in The Sil that the Ents appeared around the same time as Elves were born, which would make Treebeard one of the oldest (if you count him as a person). Cirdan is definitely the oldest Elf. If we count ainur to be "people", they are older than all the rest, except for Eru.
I thought I recall Bombadil implying that he was there before the Ents? If T.B. is a person, then aside from the Ainur and Eru, he'd be the oldest. But...are Ents really 'people'?