The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White-Hand Reputation Reminders

The reputation system is a great way to let a forum member know what you think of a particular post they wrote. You can tell them how much you liked what they had to say, or even what you didn't like. Each time you give a reputation comment, positive or negative, it adds to a cumulative total that determines that member's overall 'reputation' on the Downs.

Your personal 'reputation' has no real function on the forum, since it doesn't add or subtract any forum abilities, but it does allow you to gauge how well or poorly your postings are being received by the other community members. If your reputation is high, good for you. And if it is low, perhaps you might ask yourself why. We can be a fairly critical bunch here on the Downs, but overall we are seldom vindictive, so if your reputation is plummeting, the source of the fall is probably you.

But even if you are to blame for your own slipping reputation, that doesn't mean you have to suffer unconstructive criticisms, especially if they are rude or mean-spirited.

And that is why I have written these reminders:

(1) If you give reputation, add a comment.

(2) Comments should be civil and constructive

(3) Sign your comment

If you can't follow these guidelines, don't give a reputation.

That's it. Thank,
Old 11-18-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
May I suggest that this thread is made "sticky"?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:20 PM   #3
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I believe the problem is anonymous reputations. Perhaps if the reputations are automatically tagged with the poster giving the rep, it would alleviate the 'drive-by' unconstructive attacks. If you are going to be juvenile, at least have the guts to reveal your immaturity to the community.

I will have to say that, save for only a few completely inappropriate reps, I have been gratified, or at least amused, by the majority of the reps I have been given.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:10 AM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
It would be nice if people would be able to see negative reps as constructive criticism instead of feeling personally offended by them. That would take the sting out of an occasional red box. Of course, it would mean that those members giving negative reps should include comments giving their reasons for not approving of a particular post, and of course they should stand up to their opinion by signing.

I much prefer to give positive reps and usually do so, but when necessary I do give negative reps with comments and signature. I hope that members will think about them and improve the quality of their posts accordingly.

Two general aspects:

1. All members (ought to) know the forum rules; if not, they can read them. If they do not adhere to them, they should *expect* negative reps and comments.

2. Any crackpot can distribute negative reps that the recipient does not deserve. (I've gotten some from disgruntled members.) If you get one that is unjustified, just realize that it means absolutely *nothing*. It says something about the person sending it, not you. You can afford to lose a point - just post something amazingly good and you'll catch up again very quickly.

Reasons you could get negative reps:

1. You have not adhered to forum rules. (see above) Solution: Change your ways.

2. You have expressed your opinion in an inappropriate manner. Solution: Learn to be more tactful; be more objective and less personal in saying your opinion; avoid direct attacks on other members; make allowance for different opinions and the right of others to express theirs.

3. Another member disagrees with your opinion. Reason: The other member has not understood the reason for the reputation system. You have the right to express your own thoughts without being criticized for being different. Solution: Live with it - don't take it seriously. Above all, don't whine or retaliate. If you post well, you'll make up for a lost point soon.

4. Someone doesn't like you. Solution: Check for possible aggressive posting on your behalf; if there is none, ignore the person. Get some positive reps to make up for it. (see below)

Ways to get positive reps:

1. Make a good contribution to a discussion, with appropriate explanations, perhaps even quotes to support your opinion.

2. Tell something about your personal experience with Tolkien's works - touch others' hearts.

3. Make me laugh!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:20 PM   #5
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
Make me laugh!
The infuriating inundation
Of anonymous condemnation
Causes undue exasperation,
Whilst reducing one's reputation --
Wasting fawning solicitations
Expended on fishing for commendations!
Old 11-22-2008, 01:09 PM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
One more way to get positive reps:

4. Be generous in repping others. As the reply says, you may get some in return!*

(Then again, you may not - but as is also said, "It is more blessed to give...")

*Here's the exact quote:
Quote:
May you be lucky enough to receive the same Reputation back in turn.
Wait a minute, what does that say about negative repping?!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 11-22-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote