The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2004, 09:26 PM   #1
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
White Tree Can we talk about the video games in here?

I have the PC RotK game on my laptop, and I was curious if discussions were allowed in here (or in another, more appropriate folder? This was my best guess) back and forth about the video games?
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 08:17 PM   #2
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree *Ehem*

I guess not?

I have the PC version, and I wondered how different it was from all those other Playstation and XBox, Gamecube, etc. Also, how do you defeat Gollum in the Cracks of Doom? At least, on co-op, I've never been able to finish it.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Old 07-27-2004, 08:42 PM   #3
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

I don't see why not. There are a number of other threads on the LotR videogames. If you're interested, try searching the forums for "video game".

Sorry, though. I can't answer your questions as I don't have this game.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:25 PM   #4
Iauralphion

Pipe

to defeat gollum, go to the edge of the cliff and parry his attacks as much as you can...you won't fall off the cliff so don't worry...wait for gollum to get ready to jump on you...once he does this, quickly move out of the way..he should be the one standing on the ledge now..then use your physical attack to push him off the ledge..do your finishing move when he falls and hangs on the ledge..keep repeating this until you beat him...
Old 07-28-2004, 04:48 AM   #5
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thorongil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Thorongil
I don't think there is any difference. I have the PS2 vesion, but I have never played it on PC, so I wouldn't know.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:45 PM   #6
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of Gondor
I guess not?

I have the PC version, and I wondered how different it was from all those other Playstation and XBox, Gamecube, etc. Also, how do you defeat Gollum in the Cracks of Doom? At least, on co-op, I've never been able to finish it.
Thr graphics are notably cleaner on PC -- and this is usual in all games with different platforms (only XBOX is improving clean pixel graphics).

As for question number two -- Iauralphion graciously provided an answer.
InklingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 08:22 PM   #7
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Question

I've defeated Gollum on single mode. It's hard. Really, you have to wait until the game decides to make him lose his balance. When he gets near the edge and then waves his arms, off-balance, THAT'S the only time you can use physical attack to knock him off.

The problem is, he simply WILL NOT lose his balance in co-op mode! We've tried over and over, because it would be fun to play the two Palantir levels combo, but we can't get through Gollum! Not to mention using cheat codes in combo games. Gollum refuses to fall off. Is this just a game glitch on my part?
Old 08-03-2004, 10:25 PM   #8
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of Gondor
I've defeated Gollum on single mode. It's hard. Really, you have to wait until the game decides to make him lose his balance. When he gets near the edge and then waves his arms, off-balance, THAT'S the only time you can use physical attack to knock him off.

The problem is, he simply WILL NOT lose his balance in co-op mode! We've tried over and over, because it would be fun to play the two Palantir levels combo, but we can't get through Gollum! Not to mention using cheat codes in combo games. Gollum refuses to fall off. Is this just a game glitch on my part?
Hehe not a glitch Knight -- just Gollum
InklingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 04:01 AM   #9
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Stand near the edge and wait until he jumps at you. Just keep trying and you'll get it.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:23 PM   #10
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

Trust me, I've tried (and succeeded) in regular game play. But co-op mode appears to be entirely different. He simply will not lose his balance.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:01 PM   #11
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

Maybe both people need to do it at the same time. That might do it!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 02:30 AM   #12
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Yeah, that's a good idea. Move as one, and when he's near the edge mash him with your swords. That's what we did.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:38 AM   #13
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White Tree

There's safety in numbers!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
Old 08-07-2004, 10:10 AM   #14
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

I know, I know, but I keep telling you. Physical attack won't push him over the edge until he staggers, and then flails his arms as if losing his balance. This is the ONLY time when he is vulnerable to knock off the cliff's edge. I've tried it every other way, with all manner of combos and attacks. He is impervious to any of them. ONLY when he loses his balance can you smack him. Then you stab him, and he falls off. Only then does he lose health. THe thing is, he won't lose his balance when we play co-op! Does no one understand my plea? My plight?
Old 08-09-2004, 09:35 AM   #15
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

He won't lose his balance unless you use the speed attack on him. Or isn't that working either?
Old 08-09-2004, 10:03 AM   #16
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

Yeah I had to go to Gamefaqs.com to find out how to beat him yes you use a quick attack while he's on the edge then he goes all tippytoe and then you push him
Old 08-09-2004, 03:46 PM   #17
Sandro
Pile O'Bones

Sandro has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I had no problem killing Gollum in co-op. But my strategy is to just swing swildly, so I suspect luck had a bit to do with it. If you don't succeed, go back and play Southern Gate again and slaughter Uruks and Orcs as long as you like. It helps, beleive me (I couldn't beat Pellenor and I got all angry, so I killed my beings!).
Old 08-10-2004, 08:26 PM   #18
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

I didn't think it would work...but it did! I completed the Crack of Doom in co-op! Thanks you guys! I didn't know speed attack made him lose his balance. In Single, it must have been the computer-controlled other hobbit that wound up making him lose his balance! Now we can do the Palantir levels with co-op! Cheats on levels! Gandalf and Pippin during the battle at Gondor!

Thanks y'all! *Draws sword* FOR GONDOR!! YAAAAGH!
Old 08-10-2004, 08:55 PM   #19
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White Tree

No, in single player, you're still doing all the work, but congrats! To Gondor! Now that that problem is out of the way, does anyone else have any other questions? If not, this thread will get dormant fast!
Old 08-11-2004, 04:55 AM   #20
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
As a matter of fact I have a question. I've just started playing in single mode. I haven't played TTT and FOTR before this, so I know nada about this kind of games. But even I can see that something is wrong when in Paths of the Dead and Road to Isengard I'm controlling Sam! I should be controlling Aragorn in PotD and Gandalf in RtI, am I right? Is there a problem with my game then? Will it ever change?? It's really difficult to get past the Road to Isengard when you're a hobbit
Old 08-11-2004, 08:20 PM   #21
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

That IS a big error! Contact the company, I suggest, or the retail you bought it from.

What platform is it?
Old 08-12-2004, 05:26 AM   #22
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Platform? I have no idea.
But the game isn't mine. I borrowed it from someone who already played it and I suspect he messed it up. Has anyone ever got past Paths of the Dead with Sam? I need some tips for the time when I'm supposed to kill 35 spirits on that bridge.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:34 AM   #23
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

By platform he means what machine you're playing it on. Like PS2 or X-Box or whatever. If you borrowed the game it's not weird that you can play those levels. with Sam. When you clear the game, you can play any level with any character. It's a bonus feature. To get past the bridge, just run around mashing the speed attack button. It is also a good idea to memorize some of the combos. They are really useful.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:09 AM   #24
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White Tree

You can easily defeat the level with Sam. I've done it loads. Here's a question, is it a brand new game, or did you buy or rent it from someone else?
Old 08-12-2004, 02:20 PM   #25
Aniriuq Raevla
Pile O'Bones

Aniriuq Raevla has just left Hobbiton.
I found it very hard on 2 player mode. I guess they make it harder because there is two of you,so you have more of an advantage. The problem(for us)was that Gollum never came to the edge! We would be there,trying to lure(sp?) him to us,but he just stood there and growled. And when he DID come to us,it was hard to see when he was going to try to push you off. That is when you can catch him off gaurd and push HIM off.
Speaking of game Gollum....Am I the only one who was freaked out by him? *blush* I was totally freaked out by how he looked.And his voice....Scary....Scarier than the movie Gollum.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:46 PM   #26
Sandro
Pile O'Bones

Sting

My hated part is killing Shelob. Does anyone else think she is monstrously hard??? Actually, she isn't too bad until she starts spazzing at the end. Sheesh, who knew spiders could go berserker?

She may be tough, but can she save her game???
Old 08-13-2004, 03:09 AM   #27
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Quote:
Here's a question, is it a brand new game, or did you buy or rent it from someone else?
I borrowed it from someone, but I suspect the game is not brand new... Oh, and I'm playing it on my PC, with only the keyboard controls. Eh, heck, I give up, I never liked VGs much anyways.
Thorongil, thanks for the tips, I got past paths of the dead but now I'm stuck in King of the Dead and there's no way I'll ever get past it with Sam. They're shooting arrows at me from way above me and there's no way I can get there to kill them.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:35 AM   #28
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Block the arrows, and when no arrows are coming at you, throw your knives at them.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:41 PM   #29
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

Wouldn't you be better off starting a new game, or choosing a different character? If the game has already been defeated, then you could use the cheat codes...
Old 08-13-2004, 09:19 PM   #30
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro
My hated part is killing Shelob. Does anyone else think she is monstrously hard??? Actually, she isn't too bad until she starts spazzing at the end. Sheesh, who knew spiders could go berserker?

She may be tough, but can she save her game???
I thought so bgut you want revenge on the little bugger take Aragorn level 20 and charge up his power attack does enough damage to cause the eye stab AND the Leg chop in one scene!
Old 08-13-2004, 11:06 PM   #31
Sandro
Pile O'Bones

Sting Scraping the spider off

Actually, I went over to my friend's house. He has beaten pretty much everything, so I took a level 20 Ganadalf and pummeled her with fireballs. Then, when she started to spaz, I used his special "shield-killing-thingy" to kill her. I'll have to try it with Aragorn.

Last edited by Sandro; 08-13-2004 at 11:07 PM. Reason: wouldn't you like to know
Sandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 11:08 PM   #32
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

yes I have done it with all of them except Pippin who was the only charactor i didnt get to level 20 i got bored with the game though I was going to beat every level with every charactor but after doing it so often it got boring
Old 08-14-2004, 10:47 AM   #33
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I only bothered taking one of the hobbits to level 20. I t got boring after that since all of them has the same tricks. But my favourite character is Gandalf. I like his spinning style of fighting.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:02 PM   #34
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White Tree

They can only go up to level 20. After 20, if you fill up your experience bar, it just starts over, without changing your level. It does get pointless, but it can be fun. For example, I was doing a 2 player mode with a friend, and I was level 20 Gandalf. My friend was level 13 Legolas. When I got way more kills, he blamed it on my higher level