The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2003, 07:11 PM   #41
GlingleglingleglingleFairy
Animated Skeleton

GlingleglingleglingleFairy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't usually cry much but I did at the end of RotK, although the bit that really made me crack was Bilbo's "I sit beside the fire and think......."

Some people prefer cupcakes. I for one care less for them.
GlingleglingleglingleFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 03:36 PM   #42
Annúnlótëiel
Animated Skeleton

Annúnlótëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know how many of you feel. I esspecially agree that it is sad how characters that have been together go "thier sperate ways". That is why I find the ending so bitter sweet. It's like yes they move on and things change. That makes it so sad to me, perhaps it is becuase I changes and I like to brood on the past, but that is just me personally. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I was sad and it was like I don't want it to end, even though before I was so eager to get through it and find out everything ect.

I think the fact that it is a bittersweet ending makes it more realistic and makes you think and reflect more. I feel many character have rather melancholly "ends" but I can only try to make myself feel better by thinking that they are finally happy some time, and they always will have thier memories.

Look at me talking about the chracters as if they are real..guess that either shows how much I love them or that I'm crazy...

sigo mi corazón
Annúnlótëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 03:38 PM   #43
Annúnlótëiel
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Forgive me I left out the word % " in my post. I mean I % " changes and I like to brood on the past.

sigo mi corazón
Old 04-29-2003, 03:40 PM   #44
Annúnlótëiel
Animated Skeleton

Sting

% " not %

Oh I am sorry...I don't know what is wrong with my hands....

Well also I just want to know if anyone also thought the end was bitter sweet and whether they thought it added realism, in the way of human life and emotions, to the novel.

thank you

sigo mi corazón
Old 04-30-2003, 10:31 AM   #45
Mitheithel
Pile O'Bones

Mitheithel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Mitheithel
Shield

Hey, Airehiriel, that shows you are a real fan! I have read all Tolkien`s books that have reached my hand, and oh that grief, when they ended

[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2003, 09:30 PM   #46
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Ah! how lovely to find others who share my weirdness! i put off reading the end of ROTK for so long because i dreaded coming to the end of that magical journey with those characters who had become as dear as friends. I cried and cried when i got to the end of it, but the part that really started me crying was where the minstrel comes to tell the story of Frodo and Sam...the words that Tolkien used were so poignant and sweet that i just cracked...and for those of you who don't know what i'm talking about, here it is:
Quote:
And he sang to them, now in the Elven-tongue, now in the speech of the West, until their hearts, wounded with sweet words, overflowed, and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.
i think i've been there [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] alright, so my weirdness is laid bare...that was almost therapeutic! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] i'm with you all the way!
Old 05-10-2003, 12:39 PM   #47
Aule
Wight

Aule has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I always get upset at the end. I love the story so much that i hate to read about the fellowship never being together again. The last things you read about in the appendix is of the deaths of Aragorn and merry and pippin being laid to rest nxt to him. And the gimli and Legolas going over the sea. Nothing this speacial will eer happen again in any age of ME.
I usually start reading the book again so that i don't become too deperessed [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-11-2003, 11:24 AM   #48
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Aule, good remedy! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I find myself doing that alot too...and as I stand at the moment, it's very near the end again. ::sigh:: Ah well, that means I'll get to read it again! hurrah!
Peace