Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2004, 05:09 AM   #201
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Good questions all, Bb.

To clarify --

The game-time is somewhere just after dawn (believe it or not, but the company has been with the army for no more than 30-60 mins game time! Go back through the posts and you'll see that not much time has passed).

Himaran has indeed been 'flashing forward' a bit but I think that this is OK, so long as we all keep in mind that his posts are looks ahead, past the point at which the rest of us are working.

So we are still on track to have the company on the path and heading upward a ways before midday. The plan is to have the company reassemble (minus Dwali who at this point is still unconscious in a ditch) and then rest for the rest of the day in order to press ahead at night.

Does that help? Sorry for the confusion.

Oh! And as to those orcs, I hope that Darash and Lyshkia won't be left on their own with them for too much longer -- Zuromor, Bror, Jeren, Raies and a wounded but still mobile Morgoroth are still there to lend a hand (right guys?).
Old 09-08-2004, 09:11 PM   #202
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Yes, Master Fordim is right on.

Your posts are all fine, (and excellently written, btw). In my post, Dwali struggled on during the daylight hours when the events of all your posts were occuring.

Because Fordim wanted your little battle done by Midday, I assumed that the company (minus Dwali) would have made it to the mountain passage and be safely away from the orcs at that time.

So, in essence, ignore my post and carry on.

Himaran
Old 09-09-2004, 12:17 PM   #203
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Sorting things round

OK -- so I've just put up a post that deals with a third slice of time, so I just wanted to make sure that we're all clear with what's happening.

The company is still in the morning, and we are all moving toward the path (right? RIGHT??).

Dwali is still unconscious. He will be waking up at dusk, then stumbling along the path to where the company will have been resting since midday. He will come upon the rest of the prisoners just as we are getting ready to set out for full night of marching.

Lurg (for whom I've just posted) has been sent to get the prisoners in the afternoon -- he will reach the path just after nightfall (so after Dwali has gone along the path, and the company has set off on it's march).

Rhand has been revealed as a traitor so he will be leaving the party now. . .but we've not seen the last of him *ominous music*

I do hope this makes sense.

Can I ask that anyone who wishes to post about the orc army adventure do so today, as I will be posting for Grash tomorrow and in that post we will be assembling on the path (minus Dwali of course), marching for a couple of hours, and then resting at midday. We can then pause for conversations, lamenting the 'loss' of Dwali, thinking about Rhand, blaming Grash for leading you smack into an orc army, whatever. . .
Old 09-10-2004, 08:33 AM   #204
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

I have edited into my last post a new bit that puts to an end (sadly) the episode with the army. The prisoners, minus Dwali and Aldor/Rhand, are now resting at midday high in the mountains.

For this next bit. . .

Himaran and Nova will be posting soon to get their respective characters moving toward the company. For the rest of us, there's a lot I think we need to discuss:

1) Dwali's supposed death

2) our betrayal by Aldor

3) Aman and Sarin - please give us more about the burgeoning relationship between Raies and Zuromor (what is it with your characters, Aman, and romantic plots with the dangerous 'other'?!?! )

4) Aylwen and CoD -- I sort of threw your characters together, just because I had to find someway to get them both back on the path. Feel free to pursue this or not as you wish. I am also willing to edit, of course.

We can pursue these kinds of things, and whatever else you wish, until Dwali returns to the party at nightfall -- then it's on to the last leg of the adventure!
Old 09-10-2004, 10:47 AM   #205
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots A blade for Lyshka

I have filled in my save. I notice it is full of typos but as I must dash out of the house now, they wait for their just reward.

The post does little more than get my character up the path towards Grash, but I have worked a small detail into it which will aid Alaklondewen's character. Working backwards from Fordim's later post, I have also used some details from it intentionally.

Next I guess I will think how to tell Grash of Aldor's treachery so he will listen. He probably is not the most astute of men at following up vague hunches and suppositions, so I expect Darash will have her hands full with him. She might turn to Lyshka for support, but whether that is forthcoming or not, only Alaklondewen will say.

In haste and hoping to be back by 2ish.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:00 PM   #206
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Quote:
(what is it with your characters, Aman, and romantic plots with the dangerous 'other'?!?! )
I know! Oh, come on, it's not my faul...*trails off* Ok, maybe a little my fault. But hey, this one wasn't even at my instigation! They often aren't! It just...happens! This time it wasn't my intention even! I'm going to stop babbling as now as I am using far more exclamation marks than is humanly decent! Shock!

Ahem...

About the Raeis-Zurumor relationship though - Sarin, my browser has reacted rather badly the times in the past five minutes when I have tried to PM you about this, so I shall post here. In one of your posts, you ended with the rather dramatically fiery line along the lines of "the burning heat like the burning of their hearts". Just a quick point: Raeis, having been imprisoned for so long and having her deep relationship with the other elven courtier so abruptly cut off, is kind of...well, emotionally stunted. Come on, I very much doubt she is completely sane. She does feel some liking towards Zurumor, and it is growing, much to her confusion (I will continue that, of course, and emphasise it more in my next post), but she does not (yet) love him. This may extend, certainly if you wish it to, but she currently doesn't have that sort of feelings - would you mind editting just that one line to 'his heart'? I meant saying this earlier but somehow the PM just got shoved to one side in 'My Documents'...

But play between them shall be very interesting....Zurumor falls under the elven spell...even if he picked a rather strange elf...
Old 09-10-2004, 07:10 PM   #207
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

There has been a lot of confusion... perhaps this will clear things up. I hope!

Morning: The company ran into the orc army.

Morning-Midday: Everything going on right now, the fight, the Nazgul, and Dwali getting off the path.

Midday: Dwali starts he way back towards the mountain passage. The company has escaped from the orcs, and is at or has passed the mountain passage.

Late Afternoon:
The company is still resting. Dwali continues, eventually passing out. This is where my last post ended!

Midnight: The company is about to move off. Dwali awakes, and completes his journey to the mountain passage. Finds the company about to leave... or perhaps leaving?

2:00 am-ish: Dwali meets the company, they move off.

Himaran
Old 09-10-2004, 07:29 PM   #208
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Himaran and I have refined the timeline via PM -- please everyone use the following to figure out what's going on:

Morning to Midday: party ran into orc army; Nazgul, Dwali getting lost, etc

Midday: Dwali heads back to path; company rests in the mountain pass for the rest of the day.

Afternoon: Dwali passes out, company still resting (and talking I hope!)

Evening: Dwali awakes and struggles to the path, goes up it for a couple of hours until. . .

Nightfall (full darkness): Dwali finds company at their resting place, just as they are getting ready to leave.

Onward!
Old 09-11-2004, 10:35 AM   #209
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Novnarwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novnarwen Send a message via Yahoo to Novnarwen
Boots

I just posted. I hope I got most of it right.

Fordim - I didn't cover everything we'd discussed. When writing, I thought continuing would kill the excitement. So, I was thinking to post the continuance after someone else posts. I hope that's alright. If not, I'll edit!

Cheers,
Nova

Last edited by Novnarwen; 09-11-2004 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:53 PM   #210
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
I just posted, and it's been a while since the last one, I know, and for that I apologize. If anyone wants editing within my post, let me know and I'll be glad to make any changes.

By the way, great posts everyone!

-Aylwen

P.S. Peeling potatoes = ouch!!
Old 09-13-2004, 04:26 AM   #211
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

A gentle reminder - there is one week remaining for game-play.

~*~ Pio
Old 09-15-2004, 07:56 AM   #212
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

All Right All: strap in, cause we're almost done.

I have put up a rather substantial post in which a lot of things happen. Most of what is in there I have been working out with the involved players via PM so I'm not simply highjacking the story (mostly. . .)

At any rate, I am sorry to have been so. . .firm. . .in moving the game along in the last while, but as Pio's last post indicates, the game will be over on Monday and I wanted to make sure we had time to finish the game in good order.

So here we are, at the final battle. Get in there and mix it up! If anyone feels that it would be dramatic for their character to die and/or change sides (and be killed) then now is the time to do it!

The fight with the orcs will continue uninterrupted until the weekend, at which point I will perform my last act as a dictatorial Game Owner and conclude the battle in order to send the prisoners on to Ithilien where we can all spend Sunday/Monday setting up our final posts of the game.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:11 PM   #213
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Oops!

I had a post for after Aman/CoD's posts, but before Fordim's major-event post! I meant to place it on the game thread last night, but I had AP homework (sorry for excuses!) and decided to put it up tonight. It came too late, though.

In any case, would someone kindly place the following post on the game thread? I suppose it would work best at the end of CoD's post, post 157 on the game thread...

Aylwen's Post ------- EDIT: POST PLACED AS ABOVE ~*~ PIO

“What about you, Jeren: where will you go, now you are free?”

Jeren thought on this, and at first nothing came to him. It was a question that he did not know the answer to. How many times had this happened to him? Too many for his liking, especially since he had been made prisoner by the power that he had once served. Too many questions had been left unanswered.

Where will I go?

The Southron had never actually thought about where he would go, for he never knew any home other than the one as captain of an army. He was always the leader, and he never needed a home as long as there were loyal soldiers behind him… following and listening to him. He hardly recalled the land his family once roamed, or if family would be there and remember him at all. It had been far too long for him to return to that home. There was nowhere for him to go.

“It hardly matters if I am free, for I have no where to return to. There is no where for me to bask in new-earned freedom,” Jeren finally replied to the question posed by Raeis. His voice remained steady and level, as Jeren refused to show his uncertainty and sorrow at his own words. “The things I have done make me undeserving of such freedom. I have no place to return to and that is how it must be,” The Southron added as an afterthought, the volume of his voice lowered so it came out just above a whisper.

Surely that is how it will be in the end…

“Yes. We rest. But only for two, three hours.” Jeren looked up as Grash began to speak in his usual choppy manner. “Then we must go – the path goes down soon, down to green land. Green land with trees and cool breezes, and waters. Freedom. Freedom at the end of the path.”

Turning back to Raeis, Jeren sighed, letting out all his self-pity in the exhale. What about everyone else? Raeis had hardly answered his question in a manner that satisfied his curiosity. Something about the group, though, and the way they came together in a most unusual way made Jeren hopeful for all of them. “I have certainly learned the value of comfort, on this journey. Not just being comfortable, or not being comfortable…but being able to live and go on and appreciate it anyway. I do not know you very well at all, Raeis, but somehow I know that you will be able to make home encompass one more elf…you will learn to make home within your own heart and strength, and not let it depend on someone else…”

Jeren paused, looking around at the rest of the group for a moment.

“Hopefully we will all be able to do the same. Maybe we will all find home.”

--

And now I'll get to work on another post!

Thanks guys!

-Aylwen

Last edited by piosenniel; 09-15-2004 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:33 PM   #214
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Hurm. . .hoom. . .baroom-boom

I don't want to supplant the rightful role and place of the redoubtable Pio, but I shall -- this once -- assume the mantle that is so ably worn by herself and note that:

The game will be closing on Monday, and there's still a ravening pack of orcs to deal with and resolutions to be achieved. . .

*Fordim wanders back into the forest barooming thoughtfully*
Old 09-17-2004, 10:32 PM   #215
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Could the redoubtable pio please place this post for me? It can go anywhere after Aman's post # 156 and before Fordim's post #160.

My save alas must wait for later Saturday to be filled in. It should not deter others from entering the last fight.

EDIT: Post placed on #156 ~*~ Pio

>>>

Bethberry's post for Darash

Darash sat confused and frustrated. After the near-deadly encounter with the bestial orcs--no better than charging, stupid rinombos-rhinoceros--iit had been with a relief amounting to joy that she had first seen Lyshka safe and then spied Grash. The two women had sprung on rejuvenated feet towards him, eagerness lightening their tired faces, ready to tell what they had seen.

Now Darash sat trying to make sense of it. She had run to him and taken his arm, pulling it almost, pointing back to the melee. She had gesticulated wildly almost, running on in her native tongue, describing the struggle and their near-escape, only to be put back under greater assault by Aldor's treachery with the orcs.

"Ahdor. Ahdor. Machumba nuwalla, esumba relege isbatu. Ngeme ebulu," she had told him excitedly. "Dtcekma." It meant carrion bird of prey, vulture, feasting off the dead, without honour of the kill. But Grash had looked at her with strangely glowing eyes. She had taken his arm again, drawing him towards the small bend in the path, so he could look back and perhaps see the traitor in the orcs' midst.

Grash had smiled at her as if humouring her. It was maddening! Darash had never before experienced such failure to be taken seriously. She had turned to Lyshka, pleadingly, her frustration clearly visible in the tight knot of her muscles around her shoulders. Lyshka had nodded yes, but shrugged, as if to say she wasn't sure. Darash had turned back to Grash, the fire of being thwarted and misunderstood shining in her eyes. The man had almost chuckled. He had not looked at her eyes; his own gaze had not met hers and staid there, but wandered off elsewhere. With a snort at this hare who did not recognise the vulture, she had stormed off, exasperated with him who seemed not to listen.

And so she had sat in semi-isolation, her eyes wandering from time to time around the group of her companions who were licking their wounds like animals who had escaped the trap. Lyshka had come over to her, hunched over as if to say "Maybe. I don't know. I couldn't see for sure. It was a blur like the whipping rain." Then Raeis had mouthed the name. The elf understood! The women knew. Why were the men so obtuse? Darash sat there, trying to rest, her eyes closed in the soft afternoon light, aware that Grash was watching her from time to time, but utterly without comprehension.

Last edited by piosenniel; 09-17-2004 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:55 AM   #216
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots

Both my saves are filled. It's not much, but it's all I can do right now. I'm sorry for taking so long, but I've been busy...

If they need edits, please do tell.

I'll be posting my last post for Rhând soon..

Nova
Old 09-18-2004, 06:57 AM   #217
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots Still rockin'

Thanks for placing my post, pio.

I have a question about the timing. When exactly on Monday will the game close? Will we have the day to complete our post, or does the axe fall in the morning?

Right now, having survived the last orc onslaught with Alak's Lyshka, I'm at a bit of a loss to consider how to survive yet another attack. I hate to resort to that infamous line from Monty Python--"Run away! Run away!"--yet the thought is tempting.

And speaking of Monty Python, I did see Castle Doune in Scotland.

EDIT: Well, what wonders it does to read over each other's posts closely! I took a hint from Fordim's set up of the approach of Aldor and the orcs and have set up some possibilities for our defense. Catch a ride on the menhir express.

I have not mentioned anyone by name other than those that I have closely planned or interacted with but if anyone wants me to edit in the name of their character, let me know.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 09-18-2004 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:36 AM   #218
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

I work on Mondays - so, the game should close when I return from work which will actually be about 1 a.m. Tuesday morning, Pacific Time , U.S.

~*~ Pio
Old 09-18-2004, 01:30 PM   #219
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dűm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
Alrighty, my final post is up.

If it needs any changes, just give me a hint, or bluntly tell me.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:48 AM   #220
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

New closing date for LoD

Much to my surprise and delight, Pio has offered to extend the closing date for the game to Friday the 24th, and I have taken her up on the offer.

Please, however, keep the posts coming for the current fight with the orcs -- I will be putting up one of my 'moving things along' posts sometime late Monday/early Tuesday in which the fight will wrap up and the company will finally escape Mordor. I hope that we can then use the week to resolve and/or conclude the many character-based threads we've developed.

CoD -- What an incredible end for a fantastic character. Thanks much for participating in the game with such reliable and consistently high-quality posts.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:19 PM   #221
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Questions for Clarifying

Master Fordim, while Bethberry and I were brainstorming about our characters’ ends in this game, some questions were raised. I would really appreciate it, if you might provide us some clarification.

First, I’m unclear as to what day and time it is. I understand the current battle is during the evening, but how close are we to the 25th when the Ring is destroyed. I know the Game Worksheet says we end on the 25th, but it feels like we’ve only gone through 3 or 4 days (this may just be me). Has the battle begun? How close are we to the Destruction of the Ring? (Too bad Rhand will not be living to see his master fall. )

In this planning, will we be ending in an immediate situation (I see we are running into the army) or are we giving them time to plan for their next move (which may be some time as they will be in need of medical care and such)?

I apologize if I sound like I’m asking for you to ruin the surprise…I don’t mean to, but the final posts of a game are important as the writer is leaving someone who is now apart of himself/herself. I hope this makes sense.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:58 PM   #222
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Valid and good questions Alak.

As it happens, we have been 'on the road' (so to speak) for almost six days:

day one: in the tower, getting into Shelob's tunnel

day two: Shelob

day three: getting out of Shelob's lair and resting for a full day

day four: getting down to the beginning of the Morgul Road; stones; army

day five: escaping the army resting all day; moving on

day six: dawn is approaching as we fight the orcs

This means that the date is now 21st March. The army of the West is upon the northern fringes of Ithilien. Yesterday (just after we got on the Path) Aragorn and commanders of the West fired the fields of deadly flowers about Minas Morgul (so if we had just pressed ahead instead of heading for the path. . .)

We have indeed gone a bit off the planned timeline for the game, but never fear, with the extra few days granted us by Pio I intend to get us to the 25th.

For the time being, however, the fight with the orcs should continue. Despite the heroic sacrifice of Morgoroth, there are still plenty of enemies. . .
Old 09-20-2004, 12:07 PM   #223
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Wrapping things up

OK *whew*

I've put up my LONG post in which the prisoners are finally freed. I do so now, rather than later in the day or early tomorrow, in case anyone wants to post about the orc fight in light of what I do in my long post. As you will see, I have put up a save for any such posts so they can go before mine.

Now, I have used quite a few other characters in my post -- PLEASE tell me what needs editing!! I have also killed off two more characters -- Sarin had to pull out of the game for personal reasons last week, and Durelin gave me permission to do as I wanted with her character some weeks ago. As a result, I have killed off Zuromor and Jordo.

So now you have until Friday to write posts for the following events:

1) the orc fight, leading up to our rescue -- feel free to 'overlap' your posts with mine; I will edit my post as needed to match up with any others.

2) also, waking up in Ithilien, the passing of Sauron, and our newfound freedom. What will everyone do? Where will they go? etc.

Thanks, all, for bearing with me on this last rather rushed leg of the journey. This game has been tremendously fun, and I'm sure we'll make a terriffic end for it!
Old 09-20-2004, 01:57 PM   #224
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Fordim: I'm very sorry for my absence over the last few days. Due to work and my suddenly inconveniently emerging social life, I have really rather little time left for the internet, and so haven't been actually been able to come on since Thursday. I will catch up directly.

Regards and thank you for your patience,
- Aman
Old 09-20-2004, 03:14 PM   #225
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Zuromor Zombie?

Hmm. . .this needs clearing up pdq. I thought that I had killed off Zuromor, but in Aman's post he seems alive and kicking. . .

herm. . .hoom

For the time being let's say *poof* Zuromor is alive. In my post, Grash only saw him go down and made the mistake of thinking that he was dead. . .yeah, that's it. . .

Another discrepancy -- Aman negects to mention Dwali, who is also very much with us. To recap:

Dead and gone are:

The Perky Ent's Dwarf (name escapes me at the moment -- bad game owner bad: no donut)
Morgoroth (CoD)
Rhand/Aldor (Nova)
Jordo (Durelin)

Remaining alive:

Grash (me)
Darash (Bethberry)
Lyshka (Alaklondewen)
Jeren (Aylwen)
Bror (Kransha)
Dwali (Himaran)
Raies (Aman)
Zuromor (me? now, with Aman?)

Hope I got all that right.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:13 PM   #226
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Battle Scene

Fordim or Pio, would either of you mind placing this post into Fordim's SAVE for battle posts? Thanks in advance.

* Post Placed *

~*~*~*~

Alaklondewen's post for Lyshka

Exhaustion overwhelmed the Easterling woman. Her muscles ached, her eyes drooped, yet she continued to fight. She would not survive if the battle came to hand-to-hand combat. Luck, if she believed in luck, had saved her from the orc army. It would not happen again. Darash had begun gathering smaller stones, but Lyshka continued to work on the larger boulders. Her chest heaved as tried to rock the massive stone. The rock’s surface was cool against her sweating back as she pushed with her long legs against the worn path. Finally, the boulder budged beneath her, and she was able to get it moving down the path toward the enemy.

The enemy was getting smaller. Many had been crushed by the falling stones, but several had escaped by dodging the debris. Lyshka saw the dark elf fighting fiercely, surrounded by the beasts. As she watched from high on the path, time seemed to slow. A rusty blade thrust forward, piercing the immortal’s stomach. The Easterling woman cried out in despair as his body slumped onto the ground. “Dad-esh!” Lyshka shouted the Amazon woman’s name and pointed to the fallen. Darash paused and lines creased her brow as she met the Easterling’s saddened gaze.

Another noise took Lyshka’s attention immediately. It was the sound of dozens of more feet stamping against the cold earth. New shouts of war were lifted up, and the woman slowly turned to see the new Orc-arrivals streaming onto the path. They came from all directions, up the path and descending the walls on either side. The foul beasts were surrounding them and forcing them away from their destination of freedom. Lyshka pulled the small knife Darash had provided her from her vest and prepared herself to what she thought would be her final battle.

Last edited by piosenniel; 09-21-2004 at 01:48 AM.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:36 PM   #227
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Sorry Fordim, my fault. From your post, I assumed that Grash had seen Zurumor go down but that he was no necessarily dead. Bearing in mind this assumption plus the fact that you had said there were seven left, I missed out Dwali. I'll edit now.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:49 AM   #228
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Fordim,

Could you please put this post on the game thread, in (but above) your last post on Page 4 of the game thread. Thanks - sorry its late.

Himaran's Post

When Dwali finally reached the mountain passage, words could not describe his attitude - it was less pessimistic than suicidal. The orc army was gone at last, but so were his companions. There was nothing for him now. It was over. The dwarf sat down on the dusty earth, trying to ponder how he had been the last to survive. He, who had seemed the weakest, the smallest, the lest likely to make it out of Mordor. It was that sense of accomplishment that pulled him to his feet and walked steadily up the path. I made it! And may yet escape from this land of darkness...

Upon cresting the hill, however, a different sight met his eyes. The company, sitting in a tight circle, resting and chatting. Not all of them, though, the dwarf was sure of it. Some must have died in the battle. And then, at the height of his addreniline, it all gave way to utter exhaustion. Dwali collapsed, his throat as parched as the rocky grouond beneath him. A cry so weak it was but a murmur barely left his flaking lips: "Help..."
Old 09-22-2004, 06:47 AM   #229
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Himaran: I've put your post in the requested spot.

Everyone: hate to sound like a cuckoo clock, but time is (once again) running out. Let's get those final posts up before Friday. I'm anxious to see how everyone reacts to their newfound freedom, as well as what their plans are for the future.

Pio: when should I put up the final post of the game? And, should I post it here so you can clip it on at the very end or put it in the game thread?
Old 09-22-2004, 09:33 AM   #230
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

I'll leave the game open til Friday, midnight.

You can do a couple of things:

Put a save on the game on Friday, and then your final post. Last posts from other gamers can then be put on the discussion thread and I'll move them.

Or, leave your final post here on the discussion thread - and I'll move it to the end of the game when I close it.

Whatever you want to do is fine with me.

~*~ Pio
Old 09-23-2004, 09:37 AM   #231
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots Au revoir

My last post is placed. A bittersweet experience. Satisfaction and delight with a game well done and melancoly at its conclusion.

This has been a great game, challenging, fun, intriguing. I've never played a fighter before, nor killed in action. And I've rarely enjoyed the company as much as I have here. Thank you All for the pleasure of gaming with you, and particularly to Alaklondewen for the satisfying interaction, to Aman for subtle directions and interactions, and of course particularly to Fordim Hedgethistle for his astounding ideas. Thanks belong also to piosenniel and Child of the 7th Age for allowing such an expansive game.

You da best, folks!
Old 09-23-2004, 01:03 PM   #232
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

So long, Farewell, Good bye, my Friends.

I, too, have placed my final post on the game thread. I have thoroughly enjoyed this game that has kept me guessing and on the edge of my seat. Thank you Fordim for allowing me the opportunity to experience this game. I think it is rare to have such outstanding writers come together in such a work. Bęthberry, I also thank you. It was a pleasure to work so close with you, and I look forward to gaming again with you in the future...that goes for all of you. Good luck in future gaming, and I hope to run into you soon.

~ Alak
Old 09-23-2004, 01:33 PM   #233
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Thank you Alak and Bb both for two incredible last posts. This game has, indeed, been extraordinary fun for me as well thanks to the talent of its writers.

I will write up a final post and put it on the DT for Pio to tack on at the very end before the game goes, not without a wistful sigh from me, to Elvenhome. . . I will try to have this post up soon so that those who still want to put up final posts will have some idea of the closing scene of the game.

Reminder to those who have not already completed their play in this game -- tomorrow (Friday) midnight (presumably PST) is the end of the game. . .

EDIT

I've completed the final post of the game, and here it is:

Ergon shifted nervously from foot to foot, awaiting the arrival of the Heroes. He had heard so much about the Ring-bearers, the two little Halflings from the distant reaches of the North and the mists of myth, that he hardly expected to see them in the flesh. The men of his command were gathered about, all of them dressed in their usual green and brown by the particular order of the Lord Elessar, who wished to see the Rangers of Ithilien in the robes that they had worn for so long in defense – and defiance – of the shadow now departed. Upon either hand and gathered about in all corners of the Field of Cormallen were the Men of the West, resplendent in glory, and glowing in the joy of a victory unhoped and unlooked for.

Ergon and his men had spent the day before preparing the grounds, including the throne of turfs, fashioned after the old Ranger method. Beside the throne stood the Lord Elessar, taking counsel with his captains, for while the shadow was past, there yet remained many servants of the now departed dark lord, and there was much still to do. At the thought, Ergon’s eye moved to where the strange party stood near the fringes of the crowd. Since the day he had rescued them, almost two weeks before, they had not ceased to amaze him. Their story had been told hesitantly at first, for their Road had been a hard one – darker and more dangerous than most. But as the details of their struggles had emerged and word had spread of their deeds, more and more men of Gondor had come to meet with the companions and hear of their exploits. The attention had unnerved them, and by the command of Elessar they had been given privacy. The Lord Elessar, however, had not been able to restrain his curiosity, particularly with regard to the passing of Shelob, and yesterday he and Mithrandir had called the companions to them and spoken with them of all that they had seen and experienced in their terrible road. None among the host knew precisely what had passed in the interview, but when the companions had emerged from the pavilion at the end of the day, they had looked changed and oddly tired. Of what they had learned, Mithrandir and Elessar would say little, only that there had been deeds of such renown performed by this odd collection of beings, as to make them among the honoured of the age that was now passing.

A cry went up from the far side of the field, and Ergon strained with the rest to see the Halflings as they were led to Elessar by Mithrandir. The Heroes were abashed by the cries and seemed to shrink toward one another, casting about with nervous smiles. Something in their manner reminded Ergon of the companions. Elessar took them by the hands and bade them sit upon the throne. There then stepped forth a bard, and soon Ergon was lost in the music.

When the song was over and the crowd was dispersing, Ergon saw the companions once more. This time they were being led by Mithrandir to meet with the Halflings. Like the Heroes, they had passed through the darkness to the light, and it seemed only fitting to the Ranger that they should be presented to those who had destroyed the Dark Lord.

Later that night as the host settled themselves about the fires that had been lit for the celebration, Ergon was pacing back to his tent. He paused by the small fire that had been lit near his own, around which were gathered the companions. They did not see him upon the fringe of the small circle cast by their fire, and he did not call out to them. They did not speak, but stared instead singly into the flames, each of them lost in their own thoughts or dreams. There was a peace to the scene that spread out to Ergon and he felt, for the first time, what had been gained by their victory. Lightness settled upon his heart, and quiet grew in his soul.

The companions stirred and moved their hands toward one another. Ergon could not tell if the act was begun by one of them, or if some instinct had seized them as a group, but reaching out, they took hands forming a ring about the flame.

Turning away so as not to disturb them, Ergon left, and sought his bed.

Last edited by Fordim Hedgethistle; 09-23-2004 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:23 PM   #234
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Hello and goodbye, I suppose.

It has been too long since I interacted on this thread. My schedule was actually very hectic, allowing only for some quick posts in other threads, other forums, and a few longer RPG posts. Tonight, in a matter of short hours, I will have completed my uncompleted Battle post, and posted a finale for Bror. It has been a great pleasure writing alongside you all, and, even if I never got to do everything I meant to do because of the time constraints, I still very much enjoyed this game, and it is officially one of my favorites. Bror's had his fun, and he's going to get home in the end, which is an optimistic end, but I always like bitersweet irony, so...

Farewell all, companions, compatrioys, comrades, brethren, kinsmen and women, and any other adjectives that might apply. I look eagerly forward to the prospect of writing with each of you again.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Old 09-23-2004, 06:56 PM   #235
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Its Over!

Wow, what and excellent game. Rarely have I been able to collaborate with such a talented group of writers. It was a pleasure to play with you.

Fordim, you did a great job as game owner! I can't wait to play in another of your games...

See you all on the Downs! Fairwell from Dwali.

The happiest Barrowdowner,
Himaran
Old 09-24-2004, 04:12 PM   #236
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots

Okay, just letting you know that the last post for Rhând is up now. (I have held a save for quite a few days, and not filled it before now.. Eeek.) Here it is: Rhând #163. Sorry for taking so long. To be honest, I had great difficulties writing this post. I don't think I've ever killed my character before, which means I've never written a death scene! So, yeah, it was hard.. even though Rhând/Aldor was evil.. (Please let me know if it needs edits.. )

Anyway...Thank you Fordim for a most enjoyable Game. It has been absolutely great. You have been a fantastic Game Owner.

Everyone else, it has been a pleasure. Hope to game with all of you again, as you are all wonderful writers and co-gamers!

Cheers,
Nova

Last edited by Novnarwen; 09-24-2004 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Is 'co-gamers' a word...?
Old 09-24-2004, 07:11 PM   #237
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

A few parting words

With the last of those posts filled in, I have gone ahead and transferred the final post of the game into the game thread, and with that, The Land of Darkness is officially over (unless someone wants to sneak in one more post before Pio officially sends it on to Elvenhome ).

Let me just say what a pleasure and an honour it has been to write with you all -- this has been an extraordinarily rewarding experience for me. And let me add my voice to Bethberry's wise and judicious words of thanks to our noble and far-sighted mods Pio and Child, who were a big part of my first success as a game owner.

Last edited by piosenniel; 09-25-2004 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:05 AM   #238
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

~*~ To Elvenhome ~*~