The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-27-2006, 10:47 PM   #1361
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Boredom. I hate feeling like there's nothing to do all day but listen to the radio and go on the computer. It's a little bit sad when talking to my brother (who was in the next room) and his best friend was the most exciting thing that happened all day. (It was fun, though. My brother's friend is pretty cool. He played us music over the phone.)
Old 06-28-2006, 10:45 PM   #1362
Elonve
Wight

Elonve has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
And, while I'm here, I shall send Britain's utterly ridiculous education system. Why is the annotation of poems compulsory? It's a ridiculous attempt to emulate France and inject some sort of culture into the Godforsaken little island. Why is Religious studies compulsory? Why is history taught so inconsistently? Just... why?

So, here's my plan. Psychology should be compulsory from primary school. A child learns better if it knows about itself. English should only be compulsory up to an understanding of the grammar and workings of the language. At least one language should be compulsory. History should be taught from beginning to end, consistently. Religious studies should be scrapped and replaced by Philosophy-government.

Am I really the only one who sees all of this?
Hey! Ay! Oye've! I absotivly pause-olutley agree with you on this! Three cheers for TGWBS!

No more Latin! No more French! My life would be so much easier with out irregular French verbs.
Sending Irregular verbs to Mordor!
________
HOMEADE VAPORIZER

Last edited by Elonve; 04-09-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Elonve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:00 PM   #1363
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I assign flooding. My local streams are flooded... it looks like chocolate milk pouring over little waterfalls, and fields are ponds... there are entire trees floating in a formerly waist-high creek... This is just run-off from a summer storm, though, as opposed to where one of my good friends lives. And my school lies in a flood plain scheduled to get another few days of rain. I really like rain, but that's a bit much.

Edit: 6:37 PM. It's raining again. How droll.

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 06-29-2006 at 04:37 PM.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 04:26 PM   #1364
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Sending Irregular verbs to Mordor!
Why?! Why?! My life and career would be over.

I am assigning to Mordor:

* The new cleaning schedule my roommates came up with (behind my back). It has absolutely ridiculous rules and it's apparently written for an audience of toddlers. I hate being talked down to.

And it doesn't even have gold stars.

Well, I am just going to play rebellious adolescent and see if it works as well with people my age as it did with my parents.

* The lingering insecurity and that nice lady of the International Office who keeps repeating: "I know it's hard."

Of course it's hard. DO something. I've been waiting since October and it does happen to affect my future a great deal.
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 05:35 PM   #1365
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Penalty shoot-outs.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:35 AM   #1366
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I'll assign the disconcerting nature of stumbling sleepily downstairs for a shower only to find my parents sitting in the kitchen with an inclination to learn where I was, who I was with, what I did, and how and when I got home last night. I'd just woken up! Inquisitions at times like those are just plain mean. They're practiced at this parenting thing.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:25 AM   #1367
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I had promised myself to try not to send trivial things to Mordor but one is justified since althought my own case is trivial it has caused enough discomfort to make my heart go out to those who suffer more seriously and more often.

So to Mordor with Eczema.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:26 AM   #1368
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
So to Mordor with Eczema.
Agreed! I had that really badly when I was little, had to wear mittens and everything. It's so not fun.

I assign not being brave enough to do something you really want to.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:33 AM   #1369
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Agreed! I had that really badly when I was little, had to wear mittens and everything. It's so not fun.

I assign not being brave enough to do something you really want to.
You poor lamb, I am lucky I have had it just a couple of times as an adult and this time isn't nearly as bad as last time but I can't believe how much I want to tear myself apart.

Old 07-05-2006, 03:29 AM   #1370
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
High temperatures.

Assigning high temperatures to Mordor might look a little like carrying owls to Athens, but the sweating remnants of myself have to do this, just in case they're not already there.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:42 AM   #1371
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure
High temperatures.

Assigning high temperatures to Mordor might look a little like carrying owls to Athens, but the sweating remnants of myself have to do this, just in case they're not already there.
Ooh! Ooh! Heartily seconded.

And high humidity, too. Yes, they come hand in hand. My poor overworked sweat glands.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:24 AM   #1372
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I assign missing Head Boy application.

Also, summer storms. They flood our garage, and then I have to help move things and generally unflood it. Ugh.

Also, annoying little girls at train stations who say things like "Argh! Thunder! Lightning! I'm so scared" Wah!" How are light and noise far up in the sky in any way scary? Why are they so squeaky and annoying? *Grumble*

Missing University open days.

Finally, coming across as a lot grumpier than you really are.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:47 AM   #1373
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hayfever Having a headache purely because of blocked sinuses is just grrr.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:07 PM   #1374
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
What she just said, just Allergies instead. . .

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:20 PM   #1375
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
The depressing atmosphere of this dorm.

Linoleum tile flooring that looks like it was salvaged from a dingy supermarket. Bare, tan walls and doors in one of the rare shades of pale green that's actually ugly. Cracks in the wall. Fluorescent lighting. And the place is almost deserted. On top of it all, IM is blocked, so I can't even chat with my friends or family, other than by cell phone.

And dorm bathrooms. Nuff said.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:40 PM   #1376
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Your mother labeling half your room as junk and throwing it out, including your map over Beleriand ! ! !
(yes I am weeping)

Old 07-07-2006, 04:04 PM   #1377
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Aww, poor Rune!
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 11:40 AM   #1378
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
It's motherly things like that which make me despise my mother still... Especially when she will come by, and draw all over my work, trying to make 'corrections'.

I'm sorry Rune, I hope you can get another map, and most of your room back.

~Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 03:09 PM   #1379
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
That there will be no more Doctor Who until Christmas! And they leave us with an episode that was just mind-bendingly fantastic so it makes the torture of having to wait even more horrible.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:12 PM   #1380
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

And mind-bendingly depressing! I don't think I've ever been so close to crying due to a TV programme. Ugh, I hate when you get so attached to characters, that can go to Mordor too.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:35 PM   #1381
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I still can't get my head around just how close some of this was to His Dark Materials!
Old 07-08-2006, 07:26 PM   #1382
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Evil, EVIL cliffhangers! Those who have seen Pirates of the Caribbean 2 will know exactly what I mean.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 04:14 AM   #1383
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Aww, poor dear Rune...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Ugh, I hate when you get so attached to characters, that can go to Mordor too.
I would second this, but I AM too attached to the characters to whom I'm attached! *wails*

Now let me send shtoopid network computer games to Mordor, because they are simply hateful. Also, I assign Paris Hilton's shtoopid new song and whoever finds it likeable. Thank goodness that wouldn't include any of the BDers...I think.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 07:15 AM   #1384
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Confusion, lack of clarity, and indecision.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:38 AM   #1385
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Quote:
Evil, EVIL cliffhangers! Those who have seen Pirates of the Caribbean 2 will know exactly what I mean.
Yup! And agree absoutely. But it will be fun guessing what's going to happen for the next year
Old 07-09-2006, 10:47 AM   #1386
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encaitare
Argh! Yes! I don't think I'll be able to stand it! I might have to go and put my pirate flags up in the garden soon.

And I send to Mordor the 'cinema idiot'. Today it was the least expected person. Not the 'lads' sat next to us, nor the huge gang of 8 year old boys on the other side, nor the tots who came in and I thought would scream all the way through. No it was man who must have been in his 50s sat behind us, who was today's 'cinema idiot', who spent most of the film kicking the backs of our seats so much that I now have a sore neck. And he ate his mountain of junk food with all the manners of a truffle pig.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:02 AM   #1387
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
I assign missing someone you care lots about who happens to be on a lovely trip to Europe and knowing that you can't tell them you miss them so much because they'll feel bad and you might just ruin one of the mere ten days they have overseas.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:42 PM   #1388
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Going to the opera with the wrong people.
Now, I'm not generally one of those snotty people who think they're too grand for small talk. But when I am watching my favourite opera, with both song and music almost as perfect as you could hope for, and I've been weeping profusely throughout act two with the joy of the thing, I would like to spend the interval either talking about said opera or just left in silence with my thoughts. I don't really feel like nattering aimlessly about fishing and childrens' parties.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:51 AM   #1389
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

I'm assigning to Mordor the fact that there isn't a thread to celebrate those things which are flippin' brilliant but which quite clearly would not be at all appropriate in The Shire.

These are fabulous things like driving the car very fast on a big empty road with noisy music on the stereo, or freshly laid smooth tarmac, or records that have loads of unhinged screaming in them, or eating slightly toxic chilli for a dare and feeling proud of yourself, or the crisp chemical smell of windscreen wiper fluid and the boxes that you get new VHS tapes in.

Where can such guilty, not quite PC (that's PC on M-E) pleasures go?

Isengard?

Maybe Saruman with his Third Way would appreciate things like that?
Old 07-10-2006, 11:34 AM   #1390
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I would assign my god-daughter for missing the flight - off which I should be meeting her even now - following her first (and I would expect last for a while) solo trip abroad ... were it not for the fact that I suspect that Mordor has nothing to match maternal wrath born of fear and anxiety

Old 07-10-2006, 02:18 PM   #1391
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Wicked Pleasure Assignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
Where can such guilty, not quite PC (that's PC on M-E) pleasures go?
Heck, assign them to Mordor anyway, just do it in a different way. Like, say, put "Wicked Pleassure" in the title field. We'll all get it.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 07-14-2006 at 03:23 AM.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:25 AM   #1392
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Thinking too complicated.

Doesn't serve making life more easy...
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:02 PM   #1393
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Quote:
...leaving a group that used to be under my control after the people who dissed me by leaving in protest...
Seeing a man you respect very much using ghetto slang. What has the world come to?
Old 07-11-2006, 12:20 PM   #1394
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Being too much away from the 'Downs.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:22 PM   #1395
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Right, if it's Wicked Pleasure time then I had a good one today. Having a member of the Cabinet overhear you say "I'm going to be a pixie today". Its not my fault, I didn't know he would come and stand by me while I was saying this. Tee-hee. I might get a chance to embarrass myself again later in the week too. Goody!
Old 07-11-2006, 11:49 PM   #1396
Elonve
Wight

Elonve has just left Hobbiton.
Mean roommates who are fake.
She's horrid to me.
Just because I am younger.
Just because she was the "fat" kid at school everyone was mean to her. She dosen't know what friendship is. I mean I feel bad for her. I try I really do but shes got some Complex or something. She snaps at mean and she's rude.
I am trying really hard! I avoid her actually. So that we don't fight or get yellled at.
________
ALASKA MEDICAL MARIJUANA

Last edited by Elonve; 04-09-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Elonve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:15 PM   #1397
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
Seeing a man you respect very much using ghetto slang. What has the world come to?
Ya mean I da man?
Jus' thot I'd do some kickin'.
I ain' from de hood; I be de hood. (not really, but I've had a few experiences lately)

Anyway, to answer your assignment: I assign the refusal to respect whole dialects of English just because they appear to contain incorrect English grammar. Fact is, 'Ebonics' (the language of the ghetto if you must), follow grammatical constructions from African languages quite closely.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:21 PM   #1398
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

I assign grammatical constructions from African languages

Old 07-12-2006, 02:46 PM   #1399
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne
I assign grammatical constructions from African languages
I assign "contrary" assignments.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:53 PM   #1400
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Quote:
Anyway, to answer your assignment: I assign the refusal to respect whole dialects of English just because they appear to contain incorrect English grammar. Fact is, 'Ebonics' (the language of the ghetto if you must), follow grammatical constructions from African languages quite closely.
That's all well and good. I don't understand why white British kids are using Ghetto language. Their ghetto is not one with Africa roots.

Still, who am I to complain. They can keep their language without assignation. Only you, LMP, are forbidden from using it.