The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2009, 06:27 AM   #161
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Does anyone else find this thread depressing?

I have a growing list of Downers to avoid contact with because I already fall into their can't stand categories...
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:23 AM   #162
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence
That is a good quote.
Benjamin Franklin, I believe, and still relevant today. In fact, particularly so at present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip
Nice to see a fellow Kinks-fan on the board by the way
Waterloo Sunset is one of my top songs of all time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith
I have a growing list of Downers to avoid contact with because I already fall into their can't stand categories...
Ah well, exceptions can always be made for friends and family. After all, my children can be terrible dawdlers, but it won't really do for me not to stand them for it ...
Old 11-29-2009, 03:45 AM   #163
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Ah, so you're a dawdling, intolerant, horn-blowing flesh-eating bug who is also Hakon's sister? Well, well.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:14 AM   #164
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Silmaril

Quote:
You're my reflection in the mirror on Monday mornings?!?!?!?! This is so Alice in Wonderland-esque...

Old 11-30-2009, 05:21 AM   #165
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
If Monday mornings tend to make you look about 15 years older with a drastically increased BMI and going grey... could be.... though I didn't look as good as you alas when I was younger, thinner etc

I do have vivid memories of being told not to dawdle but I think that is the fate of a youngest child... but I have protested in my time and anyone too keen on the possession of firearms scares the bejasus out of me.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 12-01-2009 at 06:01 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:17 AM   #166
Isabellkya
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Isabellkya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Name (that you go by): Christina or Tina
Occupation: Assistant and occasional watcher of niece and nephews
Future Aspirations: To own/live on a few acres out in the country/hills.
Goal in life: I've always wanted a pet cow.
Short term goals: For it to snow before spring time.
Passion: The Outdoors
Hobbies: Anything involved with being outdoors.... hiking, treasure hunting, camping... etc. Cooking, taking pictures, drawing, and painting.
Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): Nickname: Incognito, because I always wear sunglasses.

Fave book: Russian short stories
Fave movie: Princess Bride, The Goonies
Fave sport: When I played - volleyball and track.
Fave store: Any bookstore. Antique stores.
Fave music: Rock, metal, alternative, Frank Sinatra - almost a little bit of everything.

What you can't stand: Intolerance
What you plain dislike: meat
Who you admire: My mother
What you most love to do: Be outside
Your self-confessed flaws: I'm quiet and cold
What intrigues/fascinates you: History, languages, bugs, animals..
What scares you: Insanity
Quotation to live by: "Smile!"

Additional comments: It is hard to choose just one favorite..

....edit... ~ twelve hours later and... SNOW! xD

Last edited by Isabellkya; 12-29-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Isabellkya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #167
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Silmaril

Name (that you go by): Helen, Lindolonde
Future Aspirations: Publish an album... and get to heaven... see my sons enter college, or the military of their choice.
Goal in life: Oh. See above.
Short term goals: Jsut started a Masters Program.
Passion: Ummm... I guess it's telling that I can't think of one. I think that is not good.
Hobbies: Stamping; music; Tolkien.
Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): Guitar & vocals, on a small scale...
Fave book: Right now? "Bolco Returns to the Shire".
Fave movie: Secondhand Lions; LOTR trilogy; ...
Fave sport: biking to the bus stop. I used to Mountain Bike.
Fave store: Stamping stores....
Fave music: Hobbitons (Tra la la lally), Starlit Jewel (Elvish Lullabye, I sang of Leaves), a Stephen Oliver's BBC Tolkien (Gil Galad was an elven King) and (his mannish stuff was very mannish) and a little TOlkien Ensemble (Love their Galadriel and their Aragorn) (and their Ent and Entwife).

What you can't stand: Politics, cruelty, arrogance.
What you plain dislike: perfectionism
Who you admire: My mother and my aunt and my dad
What you most love to do: This sounds wierd but right now I'm rereading some of my old fanfics. I've forgotten most of it so it's like reading someone else's stuff.
Your self-confessed flaws: Easily distra-- what was that?
What intrigues/fascinates you: Today? Nothing. Stress is probably causing that.
What scares you: a to-do list that is wayyyyy too long.
Quotation to live by: "I would have despaired, unless I had believed I would see the goodness of God in the land of the living."

Additional comments: Looking for Lorien around every corner...
Old 06-24-2010, 04:05 AM   #168
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Updated 17 January 2013

Name (that you go by): Tabitha, Tabby, Tutu, Baroness Tabitha of Sealand, Lady Great, and pretty much anything that is not 'Ickletabithakins' or any variation thereof.

Occupation: Baroness, Small business owner. I run a shop on Etsy. So far nothing has sold, but I've got time.

Future Aspirations: Own a tea shop (I am thinking that it would be interesting to run a health spa/resort type of place with a focus on tea). I would love to work in a tea plantation for a year or two. Travel the world. Go to a ball. Design evening gowns. Own an English manor house. Travel back in time. Marry someone obscenely rich so I don't have to work if I don't want to.

Goal in life: To find a place in life where I am happy with myself and my surroundings, where I have close friends and trust. Where I don't have to worry about money.

Short term goals: Attend university, travel to Finland (which could turn into the same goal, who knows). Make some money sounds good too. Add to my wardrobe so I can dress up in styles from all of my favourite periods of history. Garden, and grow organic food. Have the ability to start composting.

Passion: Everyone knows that I love tea, Britain, Alaska, Tolkien, and Doctor Who. I also have an interest in fashion (mostly historical), food, history, and writing (mostly the act itself. I love calligraphy).

Hobbies: Dressing up (currently searching for a Downton Abbey-esque ensemble), making tea, drinking tea, Downsing, gaming, not shopping, going out to eat, ballroom dancing.

Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): Knowing about tea. Being the loudest and most jubilant. Knowing more Bealtes songs (and general Beatles trivia) than many other people. Being obsessed with this weird website called the Barrow-Downs. <-- Apparently not much has changed.

Fave book: The Lord of the Rings, the Slimarillion, the Hobbit, the Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy, the Great Gatsby, Harry Potter, The Guernsey LIterary and Potato Peel Pie Society, The Harney and Sons Guide to Tea. Currently I am enjoying For All the Tea in China and My Life in France by Julia Child.

Fave movie: Help!, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, the Lord of the Rings, The Holiday, The Adventures of Tintin.

Fave sport: Ballroom dancing.

Fave store: The Kobuk, Summit Spice and Tea, Barnes and Noble, Waterstones, the Twinings shop on the Strand, Etsy.

Fave music: My current favourites: The Beatles, Ella Fitzgerald, Simon and Garfunkel, music one can swing dance to, and KLEF (a classical radio station in Anchorage).

What you can't stand: Insanity (is not insanity doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result?), girls who over bleach their hair and over tan (it looks trashy, so would they kindly stop?), frustration, injustice (oh, so many things can go under this category), abuse, prejudice against the environment.

What you plain dislike: Peanut butter, and jam.

Who you admire: My grandmother, J.R.R. Tolkien, Winston Churchill, my mum, Prince Albert (he was almost revolutionary for his time, and that's why no-on liked him besides his wife).

What you most love to do
: Dress up and have tea parties. I guess I am just a little girl inside.

Your self-confessed flaws: My ignorance about most everything, my closemindedness, my tendency to get overly attached to my friends. <- Not much has changed here either.

What intrigues/fascinates you: Earthquakes, the history of tea, history in general, women's studies.

What scares you: Barnacles, the threat of moving away, the deep ocean, the thought of eternity and there not being a definite stopping point, the haunting notion that I am useless/worthless as a human being.

Quotation to live by:

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." - Ford Prefect

Additional comments:
I have no sense of personal space, unless it comes to creepers on buses who look like Fidel Castro that try to smell my hair (that has seriously happened before). And I will tell anything to almost anyone who I have talked to at least once; I am overly trusting with my secrets, which is why I don't have any. I will talk on and on for hours and ramble about a few certain subjects, quite like I am doing here.

Last edited by TheGreatElvenWarrior; 01-17-2013 at 01:45 PM. Reason: People change!
TheGreatElvenWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:18 PM   #169
NerdyNylah8D
Newly Deceased

Location: Middle Earth with a vaction house on Naboo (I know its starwars but IDC)
NerdyNylah8D has just left Hobbiton.
Sting a bit about moi

Name (that you go by): Nylah, Nylah-La-La, Ny, etc etc
Future Aspirations:....whaaaaaa?
Goal in life:Go to college, Get my degree, marraige, my 7 kids (yes 7 :Merisu: ), And become an author
Short term goals: Be the best me, and practice that clarinet giiiirl :)
Passion:Writting&&Music<33
Hobbies:Music, Drawing, Writting, Fun,etc etc
Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): Being awesome :)

Fave book: Either "The Outsiders," "Percy Jackson," or "The Fellowship of the Ring":cool:
Fave movie: OoOoOoOoOoOo- Harry Potter, LotR, Percy Jackson, StarWars....yea I'm that cool :D
Fave sport:BASEBALL <33
Fave store:hmmm....Hot Topic
Fave music: ALL OF IT <33 Music is my liiiiiiife <3 But....Country would probably be it.

What you can't stand: stupid people lol jk
What you plain dislike: Justin Biber and Miley Cyrus
Who you admire: Elijah Wood <333333 <333 (Frodo's mine chickas! ALL MINE :))
What you most love to do: Write and make Music
Your self-confessed flaws: Stuff...
What intrigues/fascinates you: Sci-Fi
What scares you:Orcs....lol jk jk
Quotation to live by: I have like a MILLION quotes

Additional comments: I'm awesome so yea add me :D
Old 06-24-2010, 05:22 PM   #170
NerdyNylah8D
Newly Deceased

Location: Middle Earth with a vaction house on Naboo (I know its starwars but IDC)
NerdyNylah8D has just left Hobbiton.
Sting a bit about moi

Name (that you go by): Nylah, Nylah-La-La, Ny, etc etc
Future Aspirations:....whaaaaaa?
Goal in life:Go to college, Get my degree, marraige, my 7 kids (yes 7 ), And become an author
Short term goals: Be the best me, and practice that clarinet giiiirl
Passion:Writting&&Music<33
Hobbies:Music, Drawing, Writting, Fun,etc etc
Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): Being awesome

Fave book: Either "The Outsiders," "Percy Jackson," or "The Fellowship of the Ring"
Fave movie: OoOoOoOoOoOo- Harry Potter, LotR, Percy Jackson, StarWars....yea I'm that cool
Fave sport:BASEBALL <33
Fave store:hmmm....Hot Topic
Fave music: ALL OF IT <33 Music is my liiiiiiife <3 But....Country would probably be it.

What you can't stand: stupid people lol jk
What you plain dislike: Justin Biber and Miley Cyrus
Who you admire: Elijah Wood <333333 <333 (Frodo's mine chickas! ALL MINE )
What you most love to do: Write and make Music
Your self-confessed flaws: Stuff...
What intrigues/fascinates you: Sci-Fi
What scares you:Orcs....lol jk jk
Quotation to live by: I have like a MILLION quotes

Additional comments: I'm awesome so yea add me
Old 08-31-2010, 04:48 PM   #171
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

Wow... 5 years ago seems like a lifetime ago, and that was the one I updated!

A few things have changed since page 3... maybe I'll update it sometime.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #172
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Name (that you go by): It's unpronouncible in English, so writing it here will only achieve a "paper telephone" effect. But if you call me G55 in RL, I'll respond.
Future Aspirations: meet as many Downers as possible
Goal in life: to find one
Short term goals: too long a list.
Passion: also a very long list, to be topped by (in no particular order): Downsing, reading, playing piano, climbing trees, climbing anything, snowball fights, chocolate, geography, and a bunch of other things that I don't remember at the moment.
Hobbies: Downsing, playing piano, reading, bicycling, algebra, something else...
Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): that depends on where I am. At home I'm known for sitting in my room all day. At camp - for always being hungry and for eating apples off some wild crab-apple tree that grows near the campus. At school - for being in love with algebra. Here - I dunno, you say yourself.

Fave book: I classify books into 3 categories: unworthy of my time and attention, excellent, and above and beyond. The last categoty is overflowing with books in both English and Russian. But I need one book... uhhh.. aside from Tolkien's... Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Fave movie: My favourite English movie is Love Story
Fave sport: Probably volleyball and pioneerball
Fave store: Dollarama
Fave music: What I call the "previous generations' music", some classical, very little modern stuff

What you can't stand: people who try to English-ise my name, and turn it into Eugenia or Jane or something of that sort.
What you plain dislike: homework
Who you admire: My mother and great-grandmother, JRRT, Jack London
What you most love to do: nothing.
Your self-confessed flaws: I exaggerate, I talk too much, I don't know what I want, I'm ridicuously lazy; I could go on for another page...
What intrigues/fascinates you: just about everything.
What scares you: responsibility and the unknown
Quotation to live by: I have many, and they change with my mood, but if I had to choose one, it would be:

Life is but a story. Make sure your own story is worth telling.

Additional comments: I am weird.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 09-24-2011 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Update - September 2011
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #173
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Three years is a very long time. I updated mine.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #174
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Update

Name (that you go by): Still unpronouncable in English.
Occupation: Grade 11 student, tutor, sports coach (for very little kids...)
Future Aspirations: meet as many Downers as possible
Goal in life: travel the world
Short term goals: finish my English assignment. Slightly more long-term... decide on approximately what I want to do in Uni and beyond
Passion: climbing. Chocolate. Stuff.
Hobbies: Downsing, playing piano, reading, trumpet, short-lived artsy inspirations...
Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): Being PessiMistic (yes, it has 2 capital letters), complaining, folding paper plates into origami, semi-falling from a 2-ish storey height and scaring everyone (but it was quite fun)...

Fave book: a Russian book callef A Zori Zdes' Tihiye (The Dawns Are Quiet Here)
Fave movie: A Russian movie called Ofitsery (Officers)
Fave sport: Probably volleyball and pioneerball. Also love silks (the aerial ones - but what's the sport for them?).
Fave store: Dollarama (still).
Fave music: Russian Bard genre

What you can't stand: still, people who try to English-ise my name, and turn it into Eugenia or Jane or something of that sort.
What you plain dislike: popular things, if I don't see anything good in them
Who you admire: My mother and great-grandmother, JRRT, Jack London
What you most love to do: nothing.
Your self-confessed flaws: I exaggerate, I complain too much, I rant, I'm sometimes (read: often) hypocritical... I leave things half-finished.
What intrigues/fascinates you: mythologies, ancient history, etymology, languages, infinity and related things (time, space, universe, etc), the World Wars (the history, not... the other stuff ).
What scares you: University, and the prospect of studying for half my life.
Quotation to live by:

Life is but a story. Make sure your own story is worth telling.

There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want - so true!!

Additional comments: I am weird. That summs it up.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 01-13-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:26 PM   #175
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Pipe

It's been... six years? Guess I could get away with updating.

Name (that you go by): Mom? Mom? Mom? Moooom!
Future Aspirations: Grow 1000 potatoes.
Goal in life: My own Wikipedia page.
Short term goals: Download the misty mountains theme.
Passion: Tolkien, music, trees, coffee.
Hobbies: Reading, gardening, camping, trolling.
Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): Impersonating the seer in every game.
Fave book: LoTR. 25 years and a master's in literature didn't manage to knock it off its pedestal.
Fave movie: Pan's Labyrinth
Fave sport: Skyrim
Fave store: Etsy
Fave music: Radiohead, Mogwai, Lindsey Stirling, Smashing Pumpkins, Florence + The Machine, Godspeed you Black Emperor.
What you can't stand: The sound of chalk on a blackboard, or the (similar) sound of squeaking styrofoam. <- has not changed.
What you plain dislike: Beer, small talk, and all TV.
Who you admire: Several 'downers.
What you most love to do: Paint.
Your self-confessed flaws: Some might say I have a bit of a temper.
What intrigues/fascinates you: Other cultures, the arts, mythology, language, the human mind.
What scares you: Decapitation is rather nasty. Also butterflies.
Quotation to live by:
"Make good art."
http://zenpencils.com/comic/50-neil-...make-good-art/

Additional comments:
Mith, you aren't made of styrofoam, are you?
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:23 AM   #176
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Oh dear have I been squeaking annoyingly or is this a cunning ploy to discover if I weigh the same as a duck so you have an excuse to burn me?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 01-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #177
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.

Just replying to your post at the top of the page - which I now realize is four years old!
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:15 AM   #178
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Oh that is a relief. Had forgotten after so long. Not made of polystyrene but still a Shakespeare loving francophone who is freaked by gun obsession, dawdles and protests.

Lovely to see that a few out the young folk have achieved some of their ambitions.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 01-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #179
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
My 2222th post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Three years is a very long time. I updated mine.
I updated mine as well. I have reached the point where many of these All About Yous are no longer helpful because I know a few Downers so well.