Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-03-2006, 10:04 AM   #81
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Thomas sat in the corner where he felt more peaceful. He watched as Mayonette and the others talked. Just by looking at Mayonette Thomas could tell that she was troubled. He stood up only to let his legs stretch for a minute. As much as he like the peacefulness of the corner he still didn't feel right. He knew Mayonette needed some time to decide on a plan of action. Thomas walked over to Mayonette and the others only catching a little bit of the conversation.

"I haven't even ventured into the wood. I was always too afraid of it. I think that it may be at least three miles. If not more. It's in the thick of the forest. I am sorry that I do not know more."The wood? What would be going on in the forest? He placed his hand on Mayonette's shoulder.

"The forest isn't as bad as your father had said it was. Perhaps it only seems scarey becasue we mearly do not understand the trees that dwell within. But still we wish not to go into the woods blind to what lives there." Despite how much Thomas tried to sound serious he couldn't help but smile. Everytime he looked at Mayonette he smiled.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:33 AM   #82
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Crystal Heart has just left Hobbiton.
Mayonette smiled at him. He always seemed to know just when she needed someone to lean on the most. She placed her hand upon his where it rested at her shoulder.

"Does anyone understand the kind of trees that dwell there. We will need to understand this in order to get to Uncle Samuel's cottage. I agree Thomas. We shouldn't head into that wood blind. I fear that if we do once we get in we will never return," Mayonette replied. She shivered at the thought.

She looked up at Thomas and smiled to herself. She loved him so and was so incredibly thrilled to have him back in her life. Even though she was incredibly troubled her mind was slightly eased by looking at him.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:38 AM   #83
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
Garnae and Cordelia rode silently under a moonlit glade of trees. His fatherish side thought, C'mon, you've got a really pretty girl by your side in the wilderness, and we're almost there, say something!

"I like your hair," blurted Garnae. Argh!, thought the father-side.

Cordelia looked at him puzzledly.

"Er - I mean, I just noticed it as that leaf fell from the tree. The way the women in my village tie theirs is so tight and boring, yours reflects the wild of the land and the trees. It's a nice change."

"Thanks," said Cordelia. At least she didn't look annoyed or laugh at him. His father-side sighed inwardly. Quiet you, thought Garnae.

They drew up to the darkness of the estate at last. Garnae first headed toward the stable, quickly tying up Crean, he had a feeling they were late. As he helped Cordelia from her horse he hung his lantern on the hook near the door, and tried to hurry inside...

Last edited by The Sixth Wizard; 06-11-2006 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:45 AM   #84
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Léoflic stood up and spoke for the first time since they arrived. "Well, what are we supposed to do? Do we send in a scout and wait for him to possibly never return?" Léoflic asked sarcastically. Everybody looked at him in surprise. "Well, what I'm saying is that we're probably going to have to risk whatever danger is in there."

He looked quickly around, noting the shocked expressions on everyone's face and said, "I've never been one to sit around waiting for something to happen. If you want something, you have to make it happen. Think on that for a bit," he said as he went back to his seat.

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-08-2006 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:48 AM   #85
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
"I am not one that sits with his arms folded either," Edhener told Leoflic. "And my spirit grows impatient, and longs for fell deeds that would earn it a place among the heroes of old."

Edhener fell silent, thinking that he had probably said too much about himself, and too little about what concerned them. Maybe Thomas and Mayonette were right, when they asked for caution, but caution was something that he had never understood, and always dismissed. He prefered riding recklessly into the midst of the enemy's camp, waving his sword and singing the songs of old warriors, and shouting the name of his country and of his beloved. Even the mere thought of this made his eyes blaze the brighter.

However, he did not voice those thoughts aloud. For one thing, he knew that such thoughts were far from convincing for those who favoured caution. "And yet," he said to himself, "am I not a Rohirrim? And does not recklessness go with that name? The desire for fell deeds has been set in my heart since before I was born, being an heirloom from anscestors whose name I have not heard. All that dwell in this land have this desire, even those that love caution so much, although now they little realise it." He gazed at his companions thoughtfully. Was this not true about them, also? At lenght he said:

"I know my words sound full of foly, but such is my nature, and surely in your hearts you all had felt as I do, if only once and for a short while. Of course, I am not the leader of this company, and only she has the right to choose what course to take. Yet I do hope she will pay heed to my words, also. Time is our greatest foe, lady Mayonette. You talk about fearing death in the forest, but here is what I fear. I fear not being too late, and with every hour that passes, this thought torments me and pierces my heart."

Edhener stopped to catch his breath. He turned now to face Mayonette.

"Do not think that I am trying to rebel against your orders." he said "I am not. I am only telling what my fears say to me.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:55 AM   #86
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mayonette nodded. Yes, time was too precious for her silly fears of the forest to arise. She took a deep breath and looked at the group that stood around her. Perhaps Sandrina would survive this if they hurried. She had always been the one that plotted and planned each move. Yet, her sister and the child she carried were all in danger.

"You are both not out of line. As youngest I was always fearful of many things. We need to ride out towards the cottage. Without fear of any woods. It is probably only just talk anyway. Rumors from childhood are getting the best of me. Tomorrow at first light we need to head out," Mayonette replied.

She swallowed back her fear. The things she had heard were probably just what she figured, rumors from childhood. Sandrina was in desperate trouble. She couldn't be the one that caused her death.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:43 AM   #87
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
"Nightmares fade in the light of day and ....." Elfride paused and smiled, "sometimes ....well it is better for a child to be afraid of a deep wood so that he will not be tempted to adventure there alone. They do not realise the peril of hunger and cold, or a hundred other natural perils so we let them believe in monsters to keep them safe ..... and since we do not plan to enter the Entwood ... I do not see we should be overly afraid, such a party as we are ...or should be - where are Cordelia and Garnae - I did not think they were so far behind you? "

Elfride moved away from the table towards the shuttered window, hoping for the sound of hooves to reach the yard ... and Hama too she thought, his business in Edoras should not have so long delayed him. At last it seemed that she heard something, faint at first then more definite, then the unmistakeable sound as the horses reached the yard, voices too. She opened the shutters a crack - Cordelia and Garnae only. She closed the shutter and taking a lantern started to make her way to the door.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 06-14-2006 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:52 AM   #88
Cordelia Harrison
Wight

Cordelia Harrison has just left Hobbiton.
Cordelia was thankful for the darkness for the first time in her life. It concealed her blush from Garnae. She smiled and thanked him, but couldn't come up with anything. Her heart pounded wildly in her chest. Before she knew it he was helping her down off her horse and trying to rush into the house. She grabbed his arm to stop him. She turned him around and gave him a sweet smile.

"I like your eyes. I mean. . they're so much like Rohan. So wild and free and adventureous. You are far different the stiffy men that have come to call. It's rather refreshing," she said. She blushed, knowing he could see it now that they were in they were in the light.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:27 AM   #89
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Thomas was glad now that everything was moving on. Soon the group would be leaving to venture into the woods in search of Mayonette's sister. He reached down with his right hand to hold Mayonette's hand in his. He felt that this might help her feel a little more courage.

I will help her in any way I can. Perhaps if I show more strength she will know not to worry about a thing. Thomas smiled. They would be leaving after all.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:18 AM   #90
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

Garnae's heart beat fast when he saw Cordelia was blushing. She stopped to say something back, and stopped him from going into the house. They stood underneath the light of the Evenstar, and then...

"I really like you, Cordelia."

Garnae wasn't sure how it happened. It seemed she slipped on a stone, but the ground appeared smooth when he visited out later. The next thing he knew she had fallen into his arms and he was looking into those blue, blue eyes... He couldn't help himself, he kissed her. He thought it was probably the time of the night, the fact he had been drinking, maybe even that scent on the wind blending with her hair. He would normally have been a lot more cautious. Perhaps it was fate. Well, I've done it now, can't go back, thought Garnae.

But he opened one eye and saw a bottle of wine standing nearby. Good for cooking, he thought, and closed it.

Last edited by The Sixth Wizard; 06-12-2006 at 03:25 AM.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:21 AM   #91
Cordelia Harrison
Wight

Before she knew what was happening she was in Garnae's arms, kissing him softly. Her heart raced wildly like the heart of Rohan. She sighed as her arms instinctively wrapped around his neck.

She had had kisses before in her life. Some of her courters had been that brave, but never had she felt like this. It was so amazing that it was indescribable. As they broke the soft embrace slowly she kept her eyes closed, not wanting to break the magic that she felt at that moment. She opened her eyes and smiled.

"I really like you too, Garnae," she whispered, unable to get her voice back. Perhaps her wild spirit would be tamed after all. Or maybe with Garnae it would flourish and thrive the way Rohan had. Only time could tell, but she knew that there was something about him that held all of her for the first time in her life.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:26 AM   #92
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mayonette looked up at Thomas and smiled as he held her hand. She rested her cheek upon the side of his arm. She was already so weary and yet there was so much still yet to do.

"Anyone else have any objections to just riding out and meeting what is out there?" Mayonette questioned.

Last edited by Crystal Heart; 06-13-2006 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:08 PM   #93
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Elfride paused at Mayonette's words " It might be as well to wait for the General to arrive before we make any final decisions - he knows this land better than any of us I am sure and has been a soldier ...... " she stifled the longer than most of you have been alive .... " in many difficult situations. I am sure his counsel will be worth a little wait. We will not leave til first light now. Please eat and drink - Cordelia and Garnae are here and I am sure Hama will not be far behind"

She resumed her progress to the entrance hall and the main door. Those beyond were too engrossed to hear her soft footfalls on the flagstones, her hand opening the latch. The doors hinges were too new to squeak. Cordelia and Garnae only became aware of her presence when they were bathed in the light from her lantern. They stared at her wide eyed and Cordelia seemed to suppress a giggle.

"I wondered what was keeping you" said Elfride drily. "I don't suppose you noticed if General Hama was behind you? " she enquired, very much doubting they would have noticed if the hosts or Mordor were behind them. "No? Well you had better take your horses to the stables and join us inside directly. Plans are afoot" . Elfride turned masking a giggle of her own with her sternest expression, the one she used for telling off her son for some minor disdemeanour. Really it seemed that half of them had drunk some love potion rather than mead at the White Horse. Or maybe she was just getting old.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 06-14-2006 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:48 PM   #94
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Léoflic looked from face to face, noting each expression upon it. He then arose, walked over to where Mayonnette and Thomas were standing before turning and adressing everyone.

"Well, I'm sure you already know my thoughts, but I'll make them plain and clear: let's go out and take on the challenges as they arise. Let us not dawdle here while Sandrina is in danger. The more time we spend here trying to think of the different obsticales that could arise, the less time Sandrina has to survive. So, I say let us go."

Last edited by Glirdan; 06-19-2006 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:34 PM   #95
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elfride unexpectedly opened the door with Cordelia and Garnae right outside. Reluctantly, Garnae broke off, and looked rather sheepish. The new arrival said something, but he was too embarrassed to hear it.

"Er, Cordelia, I think we may as well join the group now," he stated, going almost exactly the same hue as the redberries he used to pick at home. She nodded, and actually looked like she was going to laugh. He put his hand in hers, and finally walked inside.

Last edited by The Sixth Wizard; 06-19-2006 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:42 PM   #96
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

How long had it been since she had been kissed like that? wondered Elfride as she turned her back on the pair. The memory hit her hard enough to turn her giggle into a quiet cry of distress.

Three long years ago and in that very spot, Theomund had kissed her goodbye in the darkness before dawn. Their last kiss as passionate as their first but more tender and less tentative. A final embrace for her and their sleepy and sorrowful children, then to horse. Then a quick squeeze of her hand, a whispered word and a last glimpse of his lean handsome face in the lantern light as he had turned Leif and ridden away never to return.

Elfride became aware of hot tears starting to stream down her face. She could not face the company like this - neither those in the first hours of love or the soldiers in the first hours of a campaign. Until Hama arrived she was the eldest, they would look to her for leadership she could not give. Why was she crying now, so long after? A soldier's wife lives with the prospect of widowhood, accepts it as part of the price of loving a valiant rider of Rohan. It was the life she was born to; raised to be brave, be strong for those who depended on you to keep things going at home until they returned. And now she had filled her house with strangers so she wouldn't be alone and ...it hadn't worked. Her isolation crushed her.

Turning not to the great hall but to the kitchen she quietly unlocked the door that led to the walled garden and slipping the big heavy key to the garden gate into her pocket, passed through into the garden. The moon had risen and illuminated the path quite clearly, Elfride chose however to walk on the grass alongside, not that anyone would hear the crunch of her boots on gravel, those in the Great Hall were too far and too self absorbed.

She opened the gate as quietly as she could and was on the path she had ridden barely an hour before. Before on one side her lay the woods that led to the track and the main road, to the other lay the orchard and the little paddock they used to turn out horses that would be needed at short notice, it was also where they had taught their children to ride.

Chiding herself for wallowing in memory she went and stood leaning against the fence. She remembered standing here, her arms protectively around her three-year old daughter lest she fall from her perch on the fence, as Elfthain demonstrated his skill to his parents - his father especially - by riding over a series of little fences he had built there.

"Daddy - you aren't watching!" Elfthain realised that only Tilly, whose absolute hero he was, was giving him full attention. His father was nuzzling his mother's neck, making her promises Elfthain could not hear, of returning soon to raise horses and as many children as his lady wished for. Later they had all ridden round the estate returning as the sun set on their last day as a family, then a brief night and those last goodbyes.

Elfride let her tears fall freely. She would get it out of her system and tidy herself up in the kitchen before she rejoined the group. In the event she was missed she would say she had things to prepare for the journey - which was true though not the truth. So absorbed in memory was she that the hoofbeats she heard she thought were remembrance, the tall blonde soldier suddenly at her side could have been Theomund - but it wasn't, it was someone she had known even longer and his voice recalled her to the present.

"Elfride, what is the matter, what are you doing out here?" , Hama's voice was softer than usual. As she turned he saw her face clearly in the moonlight and understood.

Elfride raised her hand to her face in a gesture that refused comfort. Mastering her emotion she said "I think it will do me good to be away from here a while. I take it the King allowed your petition? " she added changing the subject.

Hama nodded "He has agreed to extend my leave of absence - that is the official line, this is not quite the usual method of dealing with wrongdoing - but these are not usual circumstances and will allow for greater discretion. I think your presence on the expedition sealed the matter". he added.

"Mine?" said Elfride mystified.... "Why should that make any difference?"

"Because Theomund died in his defence, he feels a special responsibility for you I think ... I may be wrong .. it was just an impression I got." answered Hama.

"So he sent you to look after me .... I don't need looking after" Elfride bristled slightly though she was aware that her tearstained face belied her words.

"I know, you told me that when you were six" replied Hama drily.

Elfride laughed and this memory drove out the others for a while. "I am glad you are coming with us - take your horse round to the yard. I will cut back to the house through the garden and meet you there - then we can really start to get ready". She smiled and they parted. A splash of water to cool her face from the pump at the kitchen door and noone need be any the wiser.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 06-19-2006 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:39 AM   #97
Cordelia Harrison
Wight

She felt him pull away. She looked up at him reluctantly, but then noticed Elfride. Her cheeks blushed deeply and she tried hard not to laugh nervously.

"Er, Cordelia, I think we may as well join the group now," Garnae said as he went red. She stroked his cheek softly and nodded. She sighed happily as he took her hand and they walked into the house.

Within, the group was deep in conversation. Mayonette was being supported by Thomas. The men were sitting around, looking iritable. She watched Mayonette as she looked up at her, then down at her hand. She flashed her a quick smile, before returning to her serious look.

Last edited by Cordelia Harrison; 06-19-2006 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:58 PM   #98
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Elfride felt as if she had been away for hours so far into memory had she delved but in fact only perhaps twenty minutes had passed between her intrusion on Garnae and Cordelia and her return, composed to the same doorway. Hama had reacehd the yard and was entrusting his horse to Bredon's care. It was clear the old soldier was delighted to meet the General. She would have to rescue him. She was glad to have him at her side as she reentered the great hall. His presence avoided any need for his absence. Of the group the young soldiers, Leoflic and Edhener seemed most impatient but then they did not have the distractions of the others. They were leaning over the map strewn table and looked up as they came in. Hama was the focus of most attention but Elfride was aware that Leoflic's gaze rested on her a little longer. Certain her face betrayed her she turned away, ostensibly to pour a dring for the general.

Now he was here, her mind focussed less on the route they should take and more on the other practicalities - supplies of food, bedrolls and so forth - she would have to check all the party were properly equipped befor they left. She must think carefully of all the supplies she should take for her craft, both in case Sandrine needed treatment and for more general mishap or malady that might befall an expedition. She wondered if it were her mother instinct coming to the fore or a legacy of her father's insistance that good preparation was essential to a successful campaign.

She listened though to Hama speak, he had thought to ask at Edoras where Samuel held land. His closest property was near Underharrow - a village a few miles closer to the mountains where the Harrowdale narrowed alongside the Snowbourn. It was the closest village to the long stetch of woodland that ended up right at the foot of Dwimorberg the haunted mountain underwhich passed the Paths of the Dead. Though the dead had been allowed to find peace after the King Elessar had led them to battle in fulfilment of their oath, the woods were still somewhere where few of the Rohirrim, brave though they were would chose to venture without need, even if their conscious minds rejected the dark stories told of them. It would be an ideal place to hide a captive. It seemed the likeliest place to start looking.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 06-20-2006 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:32 PM   #99
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mayonette looked up as Hama and Elfride came into the room. She gave the General a nod and listened to what he said. Yes, that is where they had to go. Who knew what they were doing to her sister. They had to find her as soon as possible.

"Well then we head out that way. We leave at dawn. I suggest that all of us get some sleep so that way we can be fresh for the journey tomorrow," she suggested. The group nodded in agreement and headed off to the rooms that Elfride had shown them.

Before the animals of the earth rose the company stirred. They gathered supplies and packed the horses. The soft yellow of daylight graced the horizon as they mounted their laden horses and started out on the journey. General Hama was at the start, followed closely behind by Mayonette and Thomas.

Mayonette sighed as she watched the sunset. They were going to find her sister. That she knew. She only hoped that when they found Sandrina that she would be alive and not dead. That was her only prayer now.

Last edited by Crystal Heart; 06-20-2006 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:14 PM   #100
Cordelia Harrison
Wight

Cordelia reigned up her horse and pulled it up beside Garnae. She smiled at him. The morning had been so fast that they had barely been able to say anything to one another. The memory of their kiss still lingered upon her lips.

"How did you sleep last night?" She asked him softly as they fell to the back of the group. She hoped that he had slept well. She had had wonderful dreams for the first time in a long time.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:25 AM   #101
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Edhener had spent most of the night awake, lying on his back and gazing at the cealing. Only in the early hours did he manage to get some sleep, and that was soon enterupted, as they had to start their journey.

Edhener looked arround him searchingly, as he rode. His horse seemed restless, as if he could somehow remember another morning, many years ago, when he had taken this road. He had carried another rider then, a rider to which he was more atatched, but with which he would be soon fated to part. Edhener sighed. It was strange, he thought, that he had lost his horse in the battle of Pelennor, and survived, while his brother had died even if his mount had escaped.

He patted his horse. "You know these places, don't you, old boy?" he asked. "You remember them. How eager you were in that day! You ran so fast, your master could hardly restrain you. Well, you were young then. And so were we."
Old 06-27-2006, 05:20 AM   #102
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

Last night. Garnae suddenly felt very spent.

He hardened. I can't let her think I'm a weakling. he thought. "Not very well. Well, not at all. You see, I spent most of the night before riding over rough country, toward the homestead, at the call of another Rider."

He felt cold, and grabbed her hand, then went on. "And at the house, there was no house. Uncle Sam's cronies have been ruining my profits for months, and it seems they have lost patience. They razed the house to the ground. It was over. Just as I had graduated."

The darkness threatened to consume Garnae, and he looked downwards in despair, but saw only a small white hand in his own. He looked up and saw its owner. I can make it., he thought.

Last edited by The Sixth Wizard; 07-07-2006 at 05:19 AM.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:09 AM   #103
Cordelia Harrison
Wight

Cordelia listened to his story and shook her head. How could people so cruel and cold? Yes, Rohan was a difficult place to live, but it was made harder when people like Samuel got greedy and jealous.

He was being so strong as they all had been taught. She slowed down their horses, leaned over, and kissed him softly.

"Your house and land may be destroyed, but your spirit is not Garnae. We are from Rohan and as such we have to rebuild. It is what our ancestors have done and it was we are to do. As long as I live you shall have your revenge against Samuel," she replied.

She looked down at their hands. He had nothing and she everything. A conversation she had had with her father once made its way into her mind. She smiled to herself.

"Just remember you are not alone. As long as you want me, I will by your side. I will help you rebuild, to start over. I've done it before after a storm that nearly wiped out my home. Just remember you are never alone," she whispered softly.

Last edited by Cordelia Harrison; 06-27-2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:14 PM   #104
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Elfride was content to stay towards the rear of the party. Leif, usually restive and eager to lead had seemingly picked up on his rider's mood and was content to go along quietly allowing his mistress time for reflection. She had discarded her riding habit in favour of the more masculine garb as worn by the younger women - shirt and breeches, topped with a fine, high necked jersey against the cool of dawn, and a loose tunic held in at the waist by a sword belt. All were in muted shades of grey and blue but this was currently concealed by her grey cloak as was her face shaded by her hood.

The outfit actually made her look younger but she was betrayed by the weariness of her eyes and she was not ready to meet anyone's gaze now they might have time to speak of anything other than preparations for the journey- especially not Hama's. Their departure had been mercifully busy, she had made sure everyone was well supplied and breakfasted and that her steward Bredon had all necessary instructions for her absence.

She had not slept well. Not because she had given up her own chamber; preferring that she rather than another slept in the little room that had been her daughter's - she was jealous of whatever might remain of Tilly in that little chamber and felt closer to her there even than by the mound, pathetically small, where the simbelmyne already grew. Sleep easier to find there than in the emptiness of her own bed but this night had been too eventful, too full of loss, tension and fear and she had not the comfort of knowing Elfthain slept in the next room. The plans for the journey might occupy her mind but most of her heart was with the small boy travelling to Gondor with his uncle.

What remained was with Sandrina, abducted, separated from her own much younger son and no doubt terrified for his safety as well as that of the unborn child. Elfride's mind had raced, wondering if she had packed all preparations necessary then unable to reassure herself with the knowledge that all was ready. Knowing she needed sleep to be in a good state to help Sandrina, she had got up, slipped her dressing gown over her nightdress and gone downstairs. She had placed the kettle on the range and was holding up a lantern to the herb cupboard to find for the right jar when Hama's voice disturbed her ..

"So you can't sleep either ?"

Elfride without seeming to change her hand's course selected chamomile rather than the more potent sophorific herbs she had intended.

"No ... my mind is too occupied .. so I came to make tea"

"What is it? "Hama asked with simple curiousity but Elfride's guilty conscience made her answer "Just Chamomile.. I'm not drugging myself!"

Hama's eyes narrowed but he kept his voice and gaze steady.

"I never said that you were - why would I? Will you make some for me too? "....

"Of course" She answered taking down a second cup and adding the now hot water to the pot. "Well everyone one seems to think I will not be able to cope. Being on my own, raising my son alone". Elfride rolled her eyes and pushed a steaming mug across the table to her old friend. As she did so, Hama caught her slender wrist in his hand and turned it so a silvery scar was visible in the lantern light.

"Do you remember the day you got this" he asked. She nodded. "So do I" he continued " and I know you are brave .. but I also know that things happen that are hard to cope with.."

Guilt had struck Elfride again. She had let him see her cry once tonight. It would be so easy to cry again, bewail her losses and her failure - but how could she to Hama who had lost everything? He would understand but could he forgive her self pity when her son at least remained to her? So she had taken the cowards route... excused her self on the grounds that she was sure she would now sleep and returned to her bed. She would avoid Hama's too perceptive gaze until the day was a little older.

The sight of the early morning light glistening on the lone tall peak of the Starkhorn started to lift her spirits a little. Even though she had been born at Edoras and lived most of her life in the Harrowdale, this was a sight she never tired of. The gurgling of the Snowbourne whose course they followed as they rode toward the mountains soothed her nerves and she threw back her hood and let the still weak sun reach her face. It was not strong enough to lighten the shadows under her eyes but it eased those over her heart a little.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 07-04-2006 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:05 PM   #105
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Léoflic tossed and turned in his sleep. Whether it was eagerness for the day to commence, or the horrible reccuring nightmares he's been having, he couldn't tell. He eventually got up and crept quielty out of the house to get a breath of fresh air, hoping it would allow him to relax and fall asleep. He walked around to the stable's to go see Aldor before the day's journey. He walked up to the horse who looked up as his owner approached. "You can't sleep either boy?" Léoflic asked Aldor softly, treading his way slowly over to him.

Léoflic stood for awhile, stoking Aldor's muzzle softly. He sighed deeply and looked at Aldor in the eyes before saying "We've had a rough time, hey boy? What with father going off to war, and then mother..." at the thought of his mother, Léoflic's heart skipped a beat. His mother, the one person who he ever knew, the one person he loved the most. Tears sprang unbidden to his dark eyes. "I know I shouldn't be upset boy. After all, she's in a better place now..." he said quietly. "But I miss her so much. Everyday I think about her. I miss her..."

He stood there, crying silently into the night, leaning on Aldor's neck. It took Léoflic awhile to calm down. He wiped his eyes to remove all the traces of his emotions. He then thought back to when he met his first friend and his benefactor. He took him in when no one else would. "What was his name?" Léoflic wondered out loud. "There I go with the memory lapse again. Well, wherever you are friend, thank you for your generosity." Then he looked back at Aldor, remebering when he first got him. There was an immediate bond between them. "You're my best friend in this god forsaken world," Léoflic whispered gently into Aldor's ear. "You've always been there for me. And we still have many more adventures my friend. I suggest you get some sleep whilst you can. Tomorrow, we start on a new adventure, with new friends. Maybe, this will be the adventure we need to forget our troubles, hey boy?" He gave Aldor a hug and patted his muzzle one last time before retiring to the house.

Léoflic awoke the next morning feeling quite refreshed and ready to start on an adventure. As they rode, the sun rose above Starkhorn, lifting his normally gloomy and despondant spirit high. As he rode, he noticed that Elfride looked rather gloomy. He rode up beside her. "Elfride, what's wrong my friend?"

Last edited by Glirdan; 07-04-2006 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:34 PM   #106
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Elfride managed a wan smile. "Oh I didn't sleep well, worryng that I might have forgotten something, worried about poor Sandrina, wondering and trying not to worry how my son is managing without me. You know Leoflic, when I was a little girl I dreamed of going on an adventure like the knights in all the stories I heard and jealous that the girls never got to go anywhere but had to stay at home and wait. Now I am going on an adventure and all I wish is that we were all safely back at home.... " She paused realising that she might be tactless...the young man might no have a home to go back to... the sound of steady hoofbeats filled the void.

"You got more than you bargained when you decided to speak to me in the inn - strange are the workings of fate. Bringing strangers and old acquaintances together. I thought today would bring me house work and perhaps a walk in the meadow to gather certain plants that are now in bloom. Instead I am riding out on a expedition led by one of the highest ranking officers in the Mark. What were your plans before you took up with us?"
Old 07-05-2006, 02:55 PM   #107
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

"I was actually just going to go around questing. Looking for adventure. Maybe travel back to my home country of Gondor. Maybe go questing North and visit Bree. Truly, I had no plan. I'm just a lone Ranger you may say, although I do not have the bloodline the Rangers of the North have," he said, smiling weakly thinking deeply.

Fate, he thought silently. What is fate? Is it fate that brought me here amongst all these people? Is there more for me on this quest? Why am I here? He looked over at Elfride who still looked rather glum. The sight of someone as pretty as her was unbearable for Léoflic. He wished there was something more he could do for her. Maybe I am here to protect these people, my new friends.

He looked back at Elfride and smiled. "Cheer up my friend. It's a beautiful day and even though it may not be what you want now, but you're childhood dream has just been achieved. Who knows! This adventure may turn out to be something positive for all of us here."

Last edited by Glirdan; 07-05-2006 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:23 AM   #108
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

"Remember you are not alone."

Garnae sighed happily and kissed her again. it felt so good to have someone to understand for once, to listen. He leaned over Crean and picked a flower, standing alone. No-one should ever be alone, he mused. Ever. He brought it up and planted it inside a knot of Cordelia's hair.

"A beautiful token for a -" he started but broke off. A rabbit had leapt underneath Crean, startling the stallion.

"Ha-hey m'lady! A black foe to ruin our day. Forth Eorlingas! Strike down the shadow!" Cordelia laughed as he rode in hot pursuit of the small creature. The rabbit dove back and forth over the road and into the plain beside. Crean was faster, but could not turn and dive, or hide in holes and gullies. The horse was happy again though, he had not been allowed to roam free for a while, always having to stick close to the road. He spurred the horse faster and faster until it ran at full speed over the next hill. Unfortunately, this led back to the road, almost straight into the back of one General Hama Haukrsson, a Rider obviously Garnae's superior.

He swerved Crean just in time, managing to come to a stop a few metres away. The General appeared furious, apparently in converse with Elfride. "Wha- Foolish Rider! Just what do you think you are doing, rushing up like that?! Take control of your horse, man, and show some self-control!" Unfortunately the rabbit had run away.

"Hama!" exclaimed Garnae. "I mean, sorry sir, I er..."

Cordelia conveniently chose this moment to come dashing over the hill herself. Hama grumbled something about him being different when he was twenty and turned away. Elfride winked at him. I've never felt so alive in years! thought Garnae. What's come over me? Cordelia was grinning.

Last edited by The Sixth Wizard; 07-10-2006 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:31 AM   #109
Cordelia Harrison
Wight

Cordelia raced her horse over the hill and stopped right before running into Garnae. She giggled as Hama gave them both a stern look and mumbled something about never having acted the way they did. She smiled over at Garnae who was squirming in his saddle. She giggled inwardly at the expression upon his face. His face was deeply flushed and his eyes were wide. She just wanted to save him from the fate that they had gotten themselves into by being so playful. She took a deep breath and pushed her horse in between Garnae and Hama.

"Sorry Hama. It was my fault. I was chasing a butterfly and Garnae was just trying to keep me safe. It shan't happen again," she replied in mock seriousness as she pulled Garnae and their horses away from the front. She waited until they were at the back of the group once more before giggling at Garnae's expression. She leaned over and kissed him gently.

"Don't worry about Hama. I would gladly make it all my fault once again to see you squirm once more," she giggled brightly. Her heart fluttered wildly in her chest. She had never been so bold in front of any one before, expect for Mayonette and Thomas. Yet there was something about Garnae that would make her die for him. It was a feeling that she had never encountered before and one that she wasn't about to lose either.

Last edited by Cordelia Harrison; 07-11-2006 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:44 AM   #110
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mayonette giggled as they continued on. What had gotten into Cordelia that she would chase after a butterfly? She had never been that kind of person before. Perhaps it was due to Garnae. She could certainly see them together at the end of this.

She looked over at Thomas who looked weary. She patted his hand and gave it a squeeze. His eyes found hers and they instantly danced with a love that she had been wishing to see for quite some time.

"You did not sleep well did you?" Mayonette asked him softly. He nodded slowly. He took her hand and guided his horse closer to her.

"I just couldn't sleep. What about you?" He asked her. She sighed softly as she looked down the road that they were travelling.

"It was a hard night's sleep. I fear for my sister, Thomas," she whispered. He gave her hand a reassuring squeeze and smiled at her softly. She rested her cheek against his shoulder for a moment, basking in the strength that he was giving her.

"She will be fine. I know it. Have faith in Sandrina. She's a tough woman," he replied. Mayonette nodded and sat up straighter in her saddle. Yes, her sister would be fine. They only needed to get there to find out just how fine she truly was.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:08 PM   #111
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Maybe travel back to my home country of Gondor. Maybe go....North and visit Bree. ...

Leoflic's words struck chords in Elfride's mind. "Bree, the town where men and holbytlan dwell side by side? I remember Master Holdwine and his companions at the burial of Theoden-king. And my brother saw Ents. I thought such folk lived only in tales - and you would go so far? And I am here making such fuss about journeying a few miles! I have been to Gondor a few times but other than that, I don't think I have been out of sight of these mountains my whole life. And there is so much more to the world than I ever knew... so much more than I will ever see" Her grey eyes opened wide at the thought.

"You are right Leoflic, this journey may bring more than we imagine. But above all I hope it brings us to Sandrina and that she is safe...which is something those children should remember!" She added with mock seriousness as she winked at Garnae.

Then flashed one of those rare bright smiles at Leoflic " Perhaps we should put ourselves between them and Hama before he decides this isn't a sufficiently serious expedition for a General of the Mark to participate in? " Sure that he would follow she urged the great, grey horse forward and his long agile stride soon took them to the head of the group.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 07-12-2006 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:45 PM   #112
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Elfride smiled the first smile he had seen from her and said, "erhaps we should put ourselves between them and Hama before he decides this isn't a sufficiently serious expedition for a General of the Mark to participate in? " Then she spurred her horse and gallopped to the front.

Léoflic looked at her in stunned silence but with a wide grin on his face. He was glad to see Elfride in such high spirits, something he had been longing to see from her for a long time. He spurred Aldor on and gallopped after Elfride, his pain and loneliness left behind. Never will he be alone again, not with such great people around, people that he could call friends.

He caught up to Elfride and smiled at her fondly. Then something stirred within him and he looked quickly away. What is this feeling? he asked himself silently, looking over the plains beside him. Why is it that whenever I look at her I feel happiness and joy? Could I be....in love? he looked back over at the smiling Elfride and smiled again. Whatever this feeling is,he thought, it's wonderful.

Last edited by Glirdan; 07-12-2006 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:13 AM   #113
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Edhener smiled amused as Cordelia and Garnae rode giggling and nearly ran into Hama. The morning was bright, and the sun was shining and hope was in everything they saw. How different it all was, from that day of darkness and of fear, when they rode forth into the dreadful gloom, their hearts heavy and desperate. Now talk and laughter rang about him, while then there was only silence, and even the sound of hoofbeats seemed unreal.

In that darkness, Edhener remembered now, he had vowed that he would give anything and anyone in exchange for the smallest ray of light. He had now light enough to please him, but the price had been paid. If he had known clearly what this would mean, maybe he would not have been so eager to make the exchange.

"What exchange?" he asked himself."There has been none, you know it. Your brother would have died anyway, that was his fate. Fate cannot be changed, nor can you parley with it." But then, alll the dreams from before the batttle, alll the signs, what had they meant? Edhener had beeen so sure that it was he who was going to die at Pelennor, and yet...

Edhener shook his head vehemently. There was no point in thinking about this. What had happpened had happpened. His time would come too, and maybe sooner than he thought. He stirred his horse until he was close behind Leoflic and Elfride. Wanting to appologize for having disturbeed them, he told Leoflic:

"I am sorry if my presence is in any way intruding. But there are thoughts that trouble me, and I need company to chase them away."
Old 07-16-2006, 01:39 AM   #114
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

Children! thought Garnae indignantly. She looked but a few years older than he was! To say that to a Rider of Rohan! Perhaps he should be more mature about this after all. But there was something in Elfride's eyes that said that she had experienced much more than simple Garnae had. A sad life maybe, full of darkness.

Garnae hated to admit it, but there wasn't much room for error in this quest. A mistake of judgement could see two lives lost, Sandrina and the baby, let alone the rest of the group. Who knows what was waiting within that property of Sam's? There were dark tales of that region, not stifled by the return of Elessar. There would be no room for his average mistakes.

Looking back at Cordelia, Garnae smiled. The girl had helped him so much! How his fragile mind-set could have survived for so long without her he didn't know. But somehow, he would have to carry on by himself. Garnae decided to put off being distracted by Cordelia. If they were both still alive by the end of this, they could celebrate it then. Not that I won't defend her with my life! he thought.

Riding next to Cordelia, he held her hand, and wondered upon the future. Fate lay ahead.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:28 AM   #115
Cordelia Harrison
Wight

Cordelia set her mind at the task at hand. She knew that anything could happen at any moment. She couldn't allow her heart to run her life. Then again she had never allowed her heart to control what she did and said. It seemed to be doing that a lot since she had met Garnae.

She gave his hand a soft squeeze and a gentle smile. She watched her surroundings and hoped that they would find Sam's cottage soon. She wanted to destroy him so she could get on with her life.

Last edited by Cordelia Harrison; 07-18-2006 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:32 PM   #116
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

A single arrow flew through the air, narrowly missing everyone's head. The group stopped immediately at attention. Swords and bow and arrows were raised, ready to destroy anything that came their way.

Three men on dark brown stallions speeded towards them, burning the grass around them. Mayonette shot one in the arm with her arrow. He let out a bloody scream.

"YOU'LL RUE THE DAY THAT YOU DID THAT!" He yelled as the three men sped away. She looked over frantically at Hama, hoping for guidance as the flames licked around them.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:46 PM   #117
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Elfride

"Why should you be intruding?" Elfride had said puzzled but the attack had come too swiftly for any answer even if it had been heard. She had not expected this ...a confrontation perhaps when they came to the kidnapper's hideout but not not an ambush in broad daylight so soon into the journey. There had been some skirmishes with orcs when she had travelled with her father and his eored but such encounters had been one sided and Elfride had never felt in danger.

This was her first experience of an attack on men by men and she didn't care for it much . Nevertheless as a soldier's daughter she mastered her feeling and drew her sword, wheeling her horse around in a manoeuvre she had only practised with her brother as a child, but which the old warhorse had performed for real often.
The violence shocked her. As a child she had dreamt of great deads and as a teenager envied the role of the Lady Eowyn at Pelennor but since then Elfride had become a healer and a mother, helped to bring lives into the world and fought to prevent others leaving it too soon. She drew her sword but had no desire to use it and though the irony was not lost on her she was glad that she was surrounded by these brave, strong men whose vocation was other than hers. But the fire was something she could fight.

Hama

The general had never been on an expedition quite like this and was seriously wondering why he had got involved. Was anyone focused on the job in hand? If it wasn't enough to have two pairs of young lovebirds forming the majority of the party he had just caught young Leoflic looking at Elfride in a way he understood even if she was oblivious - or maybe she just had the sense not to notice.

He wondered if she felt it kinder not to notice an attraction if she could not reciprocate but as he thought back it was possible she had not noticed. He was sure she never realised how many sorrows had been drowned in the White Horse the night her betrothal had been announced. She had only had eyes for Theodmund, her brother's best friend, and had never noticed that other eyes had been on her since she had metamorphosed from a gawky girl into a graceful young woman. Not his eyes of course, he was married himself by then and she regarded him as an extra big brother.

Nevertheless he expected her to be more worldly wise now - with the experience of the years both sweet and bitter. They had left their mark on her, that was sure - the spririt had been tempered by grief but her smile was still beguiling... and of course she was rich by the standards of many - but to give the lad his due his regard did seem focused on the woman - "You aim high my boy..." he thought and then the assault came and he chided himself for letting his mind drift as badly as the lovers from the task in hand.

It took second for panic to set in such an undisciplined company and already an arow had been fired. They had reached northernmost end of the fateful woods. THe village of underharrow was a little further south on the eastern side of the Snowbourn. The attackers had come from the western slopes skirting the denser woodland and setting fire to the scrub around them.

"Hold hard" he shouted " this attack proves we are on the right track to follow them may lead us away from Sandrina and into peril". Even his voice, pitched for the battlefield was not clear above the screaming whinnies of the frightened young horses.

Elfride heard him and responded " They flee - the fire we must fight - whatever peril it holds it is also the livelihood of many" . The dry grass and shrubs burnt as swift as tinder and though her horse was ready to charge she had sheathed her sword and started to beat the flames with the cloak she had thrown off when the sun's increased warmth had rendered it unnecessary.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 07-20-2006 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:41 PM   #118
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

An arrow flew over their heads, and three black horses cantered down a wide slope toward them. Sam's cronies? The riders charged, but seeing the size of the company they started running back in terror. The sun shined off Hama's sword as he drew it, but strangely Mayonette was the first to draw weapon and fire one of the riders in the arm. They were off as soon as they had arrived. The encounter was a chilling reminder that defeating Sam was never going to be easy. Quick attacks could kill them while sleeping. Garnae shivered at the thought.

But the thrill of the chase was on him. Someone had dared to try hurt Cordelia (and the rest of he group) and as the arrow sped toward the rider's arm, he thought he caught a black streak on the sleeve. A burn mark? he thought automatically. The swine! Garnae was willing to bet it wasn't from boiling a kettle on a fire.

"Come!" he shouted. "We can cut them off at the hills!" But he didn't rush forward yet, Hama was still his superior, even though he was technically off duty.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:50 PM   #119
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Léoflic looked back at Edhener. "Not at all my friend. Please, is there anyway that we can help you dispatch your worries?"

Just then, an arrow soared overhead and thudded into the ground somewhere near the end of the group. Then he saw them, three men rushing forward on horses...with torches lit. The men circled the group and lit the grass around them on fire. Aldor turned quickly around to escape the fire, nearly throwing Léoflic off.

Just then, another arrow zoomed overhead and he saw it hit one of the men in the arm. He looked around and saw Mayonnette had been the one who fired it off. "At least I'm not the only one here with a bow," he thought grimly. He saw her look quickly back at Hama.

"Come! We can cut them off at the hills!" he heard Garnae shout.

"No!! We cannot! Have you forgotten our present plight? There is fire surrounding us and our horses could be harmed if we tried to run through it or jump over it! We need another plan." He too looked over at the General. "Well, any ideas?"

It was then that he noticed Elfride beating at the flames with her cloak. "I say, what a brilliant idea!! Even if it does harm to our cloaks, at least we shall be safe from the fire!" And with that, he removed his own cloak and joined her at beating the flames.

Last edited by Glirdan; 07-20-2006 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:40 AM   #120
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

An arrow suddenly flew over the company's heads, awaking Edhener from his dark broodings. He drew his sword, clutching it in a tight grip, so tight that his hand hurt, although he was only dimly aware of the pain. His heart began to race faster, at the thought of immediate battle. He felt full of restlessness, and he could also feel the agitation of his horse. "Have patience," he thought, "It will come soon, very soon." He looked arround him, waiting for the attackers to appear, a wild and almost fey smile playing on his lips, his eyes burning with the madness that was gathering within him.

He saw three men on dark horses heading towards them, but he saw something else also, something that alarmed and sobbered him. They were setting fire to the grass arround them! Very soon, they would be surounded by flames.

A bow sang as Mayonette shot an arrow at one of the riders. He departed with his two companions, shouting threats at her. Yet the peril of the fire had remained, and was drawing ever nearer.

Edhener's horse neighed with terrible panic, and, in his frantic movements, he nearly made his rider fall. Edhener caught hold of the reins with one hand, to steady himself, while in the other he was still clutching his sword, its hard steel bringing him comfort.

" Steady, lad," he spoke to his horse. " Steady. Let us not be daunted by this small fire, we who came out alive from the pyre of the Great War. Let us not forget our dignity."

Yet even as he spoke, he felt fear overwhelming him, a fear greater than he had ever known. He had battled with the armies of Mordor, and he had attacked the great beasts of the Haradrim, but never had such dread and dark despair take hold of him as it did now, while he stood helpless watching the flames drawing ever closer to him.