Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2003, 03:26 AM   #81
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Sting

Lotar wandered back into the clearing, saw the boy, and threw back the linen flap of his tent with a growl. Kandel did not follow him, but sat at the camp by the stew.

'Hand us a bowl boy' he nodded to Rudgar, and he did as he was told. But Kandel could tell there was something in his eye, a sort of surety. 'Hmm...he thinks he can play us. Well, so many do' Kandel shrugged it off and thanked him.

Serving himself the stew, he sat by Soran and ate it slowly

'So Soran, what are ye thinkin' about this town defending itself? I myself thought it a fools errand before, but you should have seen the meeting. The Rangers fueled them with a great anger. They think it possible to drive us out like we've been before. I'd ask Lotar his plans, but he's in a mood to be by himself...'

~*~

Lotar was in a mood to be by himself. He sat on his bedroll with his chin in his hands. 'What is becoming of me' he said aloud, and let the words swirl about in his head. He remembered his farm, his rolling fields and crops that stretched out so far. He remembered his daughter frolicking among daisies, with Kandel at her heels. 'He was so young then, such a child' he said. Then he remembered his wife, with her hair of sunlight. He gave a loud sigh, and stared at her hairpin.

'Hmph, I used to tell her to leave the past right there, in the past. I never knew I'd go back on my words. Now all I have is my son, and a dream to find a place where I can grow old and die like she would have wanted, what she deserved'

He lay back and tried to get some sleep. As well as mulling around in his own past, Lotar was formulating a way to make that little town fall like it was made of twigs.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:58 PM   #82
Arestevana
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arestevana has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Kirima filled herself a small cup of 'stew'. She sat drinking it with her back to the fire, watching the forest around them. She felt tired, and wished she had thought to catch some sleep after returning from the town. Drinking her soup, she used water from the pail to wash it out.

Picking up the empty pail, Kirima went to refill it from the stream. As she left she heard Kandel and Soran speaking.
'So Soran, what are ye thinkin' about this town defending itself? I myself thought it a fools errand before, but you should have seen the meeting. The Rangers fueled them with a great anger. They think it possible to drive us out like we've been before.'

She continued walking, rolling the words through her mind. She understood that the townsfolk were not evil people, but to be driven out again? Reaching the stream she clambered far down the bank until she came to the shallow rivulet at the bottom. She filled the pail and began to trudge back to camp.

To be driven out again was to return to defeat, she reminded herself. There might be children in this town, but there were children camped at Weather Hill as well. If they were driven out again, those children would starve. She thought of the small stream, it's dry banks a clear statement of the land's troubles. Kirima thought of the angry words she had heard at the meeting of the townfolk. She paused and set the bucket down, drawing the foraging knife in her wrist sheath. She tried to imagine striking someone with it, actually ending a life. The image of her daughter lying pale and unmoving in her cradle rose in her mind and she quickly put the knife away. Then she remembered the gaunt, sad faces of the children at Weather Hill and resolved to fight however she could to win the town.

She picked up the pail and returned to camp, setting her load by the fire. She pulled her cloak around her, shivering even in the warm sunlight. Exhaustion and sadness overcame her and she slept, dreaming of her family.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:00 AM   #83
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Sting

Soran didn't reply to Kandel's attempt at conversation. He didn't feel like talking; he was thinking about his children, not Bree. Leila would have been seven today, he had suddenly realized when the young thief had reminded him of Rik. She had always been his little g.irl. He had called her Butterfly, because she flitted about like one of the bright creatures and she brought a smile to his face. She hadn't much resembled a butterfly when the soldiers came to the farm though...

"DADDY!!!"

He could hear her screaming for him, long past the time she was out of sight. The big man who'd thrown her over his shoulder had had a cruel glint in his eye. And he had been helpless to make the monsters leave his baby alone...

He shook his head. Some things were better left buried, so with an effort, he roused himself and turned toward Kandel.

"I'm sorry, I was thinking of something else," he explained. "I don't know what to think about the Breelanders defending themselves. I wonder if there are enough of us to take them on. It is a whole town, and there's only the five of us, after all."
Old 10-24-2003, 01:13 PM   #84
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

Arwen Baggin's post - Kari

"You sure you're Ok?" Kari asked Lily as they tried to ride the wave of children rushing from the inn.

"My ear hurts..." Lily wimpered, tears welling up in her big eyes.

Kari leaned in and looked at it once they were safetly alone, huddling under a tree. The ear was red and swollen; she could tell Lily was in pain. "Well, Miss Andreth saw that nasty Will do it, an' she'll get 'im good."

Kari sat down next to the tree, and grabbed Lily's hand to welcome her to sit too. She started to talk, trying to keep the Hobbit's mind off of her throbbing ear. "You should meet my Father. He's really nice, but kinda misunderstood. He likes Hobbit's too, but he tries to hide it 'cause his friends don't like 'em."

Esgallhugwen's post - Lily

Lily smiled when Kari mentioned that 'nasty Will' will get his just rewards, attacking the poor little Hobbits and all. It would be nice to meet Kari's Dad, but that would mean he's far more bigger than Kari is!

Little Lily had become brave gripping her lucky stone that Poppy gave her that morning, she nodded shaking her blonde curls about her face. "Karwi", she said softly "would you like to pway a game wit me?" Her big blue eyes widened with joy as Kari agreed.

"I would like to be the dwagon and you can be the maiden and I get to chase you!" Lily giggled mischievously as she gave a little jump; Kari laughed, "alright, but no biting". Lily giggled and growled as she began to chase Kari around the tree.

[ October 26, 2003: Message edited by: ArwenBaggins ]

[ October 26, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-24-2003, 03:01 PM   #85
Eruantalon
Wight

Eruantalon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruantalon
Looking down at the meager food prepared Rudgar started to get upset. “Now if the battle doesn’t kill me malnourishment will!!”

He looked at the companions that where around him now. “Listen I don’t think we will get far with empty bellies. Eating this doesn’t pass for food so I won’t count it as food. I’ll be back in half and hour if things go well. If they don’t it will be an hour.”

The group looked annoyed with him as he got up to go. Rudgar came back after close to an hour. He now had a large with sack that kept buck bagucking and moving. He saw them around the camp and came to Soren first. “I’ll need a good knife, a table or something like it, a pot, and a good fire.”

The strong fire was already there. Soren helped him get the things he need quickly. He proceeded to chop and cut vary quickly. He put small pieces of everything into the pot chicken, vegetables, bad some seasoning from his back pack.

The small pieces he chopped up cooked quickly in the pot. In half an hour of cooking he had everything ready. He set out a cloth on the ground and set bowls of food on it. Then he took out his half bottle of wine and asked if there where any cups.

He didn’t sit down to eat just yet. He went to Lotars tent and popped his head in. “Lotar if you want dinner you’ll have to come now when it’s hot. I‘ve been cooking up some chicken stew.” With that he scurried back to preparing.

The rest of the company sat down and started eating. It was a hardy chicken stew with potatoes, carrots, onions, some other vegetables he hadn’t seen yet, and lots of thick rich fragrant gravy. “Now this is proper food for bandits. It keeps you going right through the day. Sit down everyone and get a bowl. I‘ve got eggs for breakfast and more vegetables.”
Old 10-25-2003, 11:18 AM   #86
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Annunfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mausi's children

"Does your leg hurt much, Kali?" Ella asked her little brother, her tone reflecting the worry of an older sister who saw herself as responsible for her younger siblings. The recess had begun and the children streamed out of the classroom to the open air. Ella and Mondy surrounded Kali, eager to speak with him after the obligatory separation during the lesson.

"No." came Kali's solemn answer but his teary eyes revealed the truth he tried to hide in an attempt to appear a 'big boy'.

"Oh yes it does!" Mondy all-knowingly stated the obvious and pointed with his chalky index finger at Kali's leg. "See, you'll have a nice bruise right there." The three all took a closer look at the spot to verify that the pea had indeed left its mark on the boy. Kali forgot all about his pains and his eyes shone again in excitement: showing off ones scratches and bruises, the deeper and bigger the better, was the best thing - definitely a big boy thing - he knew.

But Ella had another opinion in this matter. Her brow furrowed and she pursed her lips (this was an often seen expression on her face when she sensed trouble coming) before speaking in a hushed voice.

"But what will mima say when she sees that? She wants to know all - and she will be angry when she hears it was the Biggie boys..." Her whisper faded away and she took a quick look around before continuing; "What do you think about them Biggies?"

Kali stared at his toes while muttering an answer. "Edmund is mean... But he likes animals as I do. Squirrels..." The young hobbit couldn't quite put his thought into words but somehow he understood that one who liked animals couldn't be all that bad.

"The twins are funny!" Mondy began; "And that girl that threw her slate at Will!" The older brother mimicked the scene very lively after which the trio giggled in unison. Even Ella felt somewhat better, hoping that maybe her mother would understand that these things happened; for despite the troublesome start she had begun to like this school thing. Suddenly finding new courage from these thoughts she decided to do something she had never done before. And so, leaving her brothers and walking warily across the horse pen, Ella came to where little Lily was sitting on a hay bale with Kari, the Big Folk girl. The two were engaged in a conversation and didn't first notice the newcomer. Ella coughed, then piped in a voice that echoed strange in her own ears;

"Hullo, my name is Ella. May I sit here too?"

[ October 25, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]

[ November 03, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-25-2003, 06:47 PM   #87
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Bandits: Letter from Laira to Soran

A messenger picked his way stealthily along the path that led towards the bandits' lair. The path was barely visible, with thick bracken and ferns covering much of the ground, and overhanging bushes crowding in; only an experienced eye could pick it out. The man had travelled for several hours and now halted on the outskirts of a hidden grove, giving the signal that they had agreed upon many weeks before: the sound of a fox baying, three separate tones interrupted by a pause of less than a minute. Several of the scouts glanced up surprised from their dinner with a look of hope written on their faces. The messenger leapt off his horse and walked over to the circle, stopping to take a whiff of the stew, but then continuing on. "A dispatch for Lotar from Weathertop. Where is he?"

"Still in his tent, I expect," one of the men responded, jerking his thumb towards the edge of camp, and then went on to voice the unspoken question in everyone's mind. "Anyone else lucky? Do you bring news to any of us?"

"Aye," he replied, digging deep in his vest pocket and pulling out a scrap of paper. "For you, Soran. From your sister" He held out the letter and pushed it in his direction, then retreated down the path to Lothar's tent. Soran's voice called after him, "Make sure to have some dinner with us before you leave..."

The farmer sat down and unfolded the tiny slip of vellum, his eyes skimming hastily over the note, devouring its contents:

My dearest brother,

I can not tell you how you are missed. With their father gone, Glenna cries to see her uncle Soran. Although Marach tries to put on a good face to show he is a man, I see the look in his eye and knows that he yearns for someone other than myself he can trust.

Food and trust.... Both are scarce. The children have become good at finding root vegetables in the hills. Otherwise, we would have starved. If only Marach was a bit older, he could go hunting with the older boys. Sometimes he tries but they shoo him back. Many of the very old and young are in desperate straits from hunger. I worry constantly about mama. And every night I dream of food: loaves of bread, chicken stew, the things we took for granted!

There is one thing that has kept us alive. Strangely enough, it is my ability to read and write. There are times when dispatches must be read and written, and I am one of the few left alive who can do that. So many of the leaders of the village were killed in the initial attack or on the path to Weathertop. I barter my skills for food and other necessities as best I can.

I hope this finds you well. I pray that you and the others have found things better near this place called Breeland. Perhaps, they will let us come and settle there and farm the land? Still, it is hard. There are so many of us. The fighting between villagers is constant; many go out and elude the armed patrols from Arthedain and accost travellers on the road, robbing them of their goods. I have not yet stooped to that, but if it comes to my children's lives, I will not hesitate.... I pray we may find another answer.

Your sister,

Laira
Old 10-26-2003, 12:10 PM   #88
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Will Farroweed

‘Who is that, keeps looking over our way?’

Bart nudged Will as they stood in the shadow of a tree near where the other children were at recess on the grassy interior of the fenced pen. ‘Looks like a bunch of stupid donkeys, all running around in there,’ snickered Roddy. ‘That’s the Innkeeper’s kid,’ hissed Will, motioning for them to keep their voices down.

Will’s eye was on Edmund. He was that Hobbit-loving woman's kid, and under her thumb from what he understood . . . or maybe not. The boy looked interested, he could tell, in Will and his gang. And his quick glance in the window of the schoolroom earlier had given him the impression that Edmund was none too thrilled to be sitting next to one of the Little Folk. With a quick jerk of his head, Will motioned for the boy to sneak over to see him.

The three older boys slid behind the trunk of the great tree and waited. They heard the quick steps approaching and held their breath, hoping it was not that man Andreth had set to watch the boys. They were not disappointed, as Edmund, grinning at his own daring, slipped into place behind the tree with them.

Will peeked round the tree. Rob, the laborer Andreth had set to watch the students, was sitting there in the shade, his legs crossed in front of him, his eyes closed. He was enjoying the break from repairing the Inn roof. Will turned back to give Edmund the once over, and then grinned back at him.

‘You’re Edmund, right? You up for a little fun after school?’ Will looked appraisingly at Edmund. Roddy spit on the ground by Edmund’s foot. ‘That is, if you’re mommy’ll let you!’ he challenged. Will gave Roddy a shove on the arm.

‘Hey! Back off him,’ he said, clapping his arm round Edmund’s shoulders. ‘Looks to me like the kind of guy that makes his own decisions.’ He looked down at Edmund. ‘Don’t you, buddy?’

Old 10-26-2003, 03:46 PM   #89
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

There was no hesitation on Edmund's part. He was thrilled. It had happened so fast without any effort... Will was wanting to be friends with him. The sooner he could get away from the wretched school, the better. Grinning widely, he replied, "Of course I will!" Having spoken those words, he cast a defiant look at Roddy.

"Instead of waiting till after your school" -those words were spoken with obvious disdain- "why don't you come with us now?" Roddy suggested.

Edmund hesitated and glanced over his shoulder, seeking out his mother. Roddy tapped his foot impatiently, but Will showed no visible signs of annoyance. "No," he decided at last. "I want to get out of my home as quickly as I can, but I have to figure out a way to bring my squirrel comfortably." He told them briefly about his pet. "I'll meet you somewhere after school. Just tell me where, and I'll be there as soon as I can get my squirrel."
Old 10-26-2003, 04:23 PM   #90
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Will and gang

‘He has a squirrel!’ laughed Roddy, the sound of his derisive chuckling cut short with a glare from Will.

Edmund was well out of earshot, but Will was taking no chances. ‘Shut your trap,’ he growled. ‘The kid has possibilities. His mom’s the Innkeeper, you birdbrain. He can get us all sorts of stuff.’ Will’s eyes lit up with the prospect of what Edmund could make available to them. ‘And besides that, it’ll annoy that namby-pamby mother of his no end.’

Will had told Edmund to meet them in the little sidestreet just south of the Inn after class. ‘Bring a pea shooter if you have one,’ he’d told the wide-eyed seven year old. Edmund’s brow furrowed at this directive. ‘Don’t worry, mate, if you can’t find one, I have one extra. We’ll wait for you to show up.’ He noted the man who was ‘watching’ the students was starting to stir from his nap. ‘Best get back, and be quick about it, before he rats on you to your mom.’

The three boys ambled to their meeting place and made themselves comfortable at the base of an elm tree, their backs leaning against the trunk. Bart drew with a stick in the dirt by his leg, while the other two bragged to each other about their recent, and much inflated, exploits.

‘I hope he does bring his squirrel,’ murmured Bart, idly to himself. ‘I think that’s great he has one.’

‘Well, you would, you dumb baby,’ said Roddy, throwing a clump of dirt at the younger boy.

Bart’s eyes blazed and he launched himself at Roddy, who continued to taunt him. Will stepped in and grabbed Bart by the shirt, shoving him behind him and hard onto the ground on his bottom.

‘Stop it, the both of you,’ he yelled at Roddy as he pushed him down, too. ‘Geez, you’re gonna ruin our fun if you keep acting like a couple of mad dogs!’ Just sit still and keep your mouths shut and your fists to yourselves for a while!’

Will sat down between the two and picking up a small, short piece of downed tree limb, pulled out his knife, and set to whittling on it. Bart sat silent as a stone, his fists clenching as he heard Roddy mumble.

‘Yeah, well if it don’t work out with this Edmund, his squirrel’s fair game as far as I’m concerned . . .’

Old 10-26-2003, 06:24 PM   #91
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Sting

Soran set down his bowl. Suddenly it seemed very selfish to be eating such wonderful food--Would never have guessed Rudgar to know how to cook...--when his sister and her children were starving. The stew mocked him with their plight, and his heart reproached him for leaving them to fend for themselves. But he couldn't go back to them. Laira wouldn't even recognize him, he had changed so much.

He wanted to do something for them, for his sister-children and their mother, but his place was here now. As much as he hated harming others, here was acceptance of a sort. Here were other people who shared his problems and his sorrow.

Rudgar looked at him strangely when he didn't pick his plate back up. "Aren't you going to eat?"

"No," answered Soran tiredly. He looked at the letter one more time, folded it carefully, and tucked it into his tunic, sighing.

Rudgar looked at Soran, then at the bowl, then he shrugged, picked up the still-full dish and started eating.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:06 PM   #92
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

Rudgar eat Sorens food happily. “Soren I know this might make another fight. I have to tell you for what ever reason you don’t eat don’t let it be because of them. My mother and father starved before they died. Not eating won’t help them now. Not eating won’t help anyone, especially you. I’m no ones master, but if you really want to help people you have to be strong. You need food and to keep going. I risked my life an hour ago for this food. If you want to be smart, don‘t let emotions get in the way.”

Soren looked at him with an surprised face. Rudgar said all this as if he was talking about some one else. He greedily eat up everything that was in her bowl. It didn’t make any sense. Why would he tell him to eat and then gobble up all his food. Rudgar filled the bowl up a second time and passed it to him. The rest of the companions where looking at Rudgar now.

“I’ve had my fair share Soren, take yours now.” The entire time he spoke it was in a strange manner. He only paused to slurp or eat. He spoke in a steady stream of words. He seemed completely interested in his food the whole time he spoke to Soren.

Rudgar put the bowl down beside him and left everyone. He found a nice tree and fell asleep under it thinking of gold and happiness. He dreamed of things to come. A beautiful house and lots of servants. Never needing to steal again for the rest of his life. New times filled with his favorite pass times. Sleeping and eating his days away in a comfortable bed.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:04 AM   #93
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Berilac

‘I’ll stay tonight with you and your family, if you don’t mind, Mausi.’ Berilac finished up his late breakfast and took his dish and utensils to the sink for a wash up. ‘Rosco has room for me, but he lives too far out, and I need to be in the city proper if I’m to get the task done I’ve set for myself.’

He came out to the front room where she sat in her rocker, sewing on some piece of clothing. The morning light glinted off the silvered thimble on her middle finger, as she pushed the needle through the cloth. Not looking up from her work, she asked what he would be doing that day, and when could she expect him back.

‘I’m off to the Prancing Pony a little later, to pick up the children.’ She glanced up at him, a questioning look on her face. ‘We’re going to inspect the Hedge today. Ella, Mondy, and Kali for sure. Little Fippi, I think, and also Lily, the little one that Poppy Goldworthy sees to. We’ll be back well before suppertime.’

He sat down in the chair near hers, a mug of honeyed tea in his hand. He leaned forward and placed an identical mug on the small table between them. She put the piece she was working on down at her side, in the willow basket there, and took up her tea, cradling it with both hands. Berilac told her of his meeting with Rosco and Griffo at the Town Hall last night after the town meeting, and their talk with Miz Woolthistle early this morning about bringing supplies into Bree . . . that and his intention to pick some of the children up when class was over. ‘She’s an interesting woman, the Innkeeper,’ he commented. ‘One of the more broader thinking of the Big Folk.’

The conversation drifted into more personal avenues – news of the new baby on the way and how was Fairlight bearing up with this pregnancy. Mausi gently chided him for not seeing his sisters yet, and he ducked his head in mock penitence. ‘Soon,’ he said, ‘soon.’ She asked him many question about her family, and how had they looked and exactly what had they said.

Before the both of them knew it, some time had passed, and the town bell tolled that it was just going on midday. Berilac got up quickly from his chair, saying he should go now if he were to make it to the Inn on time. Mausi waved him off with a smile, and picked up her sewing as he left the room.

~*~

His long strides brought him quickly to the Inn. As he walked past the little sidestreet just south of the Prancing Pony, he noted three young fellows, lounging about under a tree. They kept their eyes on him as he passed, and did not return the greeting he gave them.’ Up to no good,’ he thought as he passed them.

From the corner of his eye, he saw one of them draw something from the waistband of his breeches and aim it at him. Berilac turned quickly and faced the group, raising his brows at Roddy, sling shot in hand.

‘I shouldn’t do that if I were you, young sir,’ he said in a friendly tone, his hazel eyes looking steadily at the boy. The Ranger’s right hand rested casually on the pommel of his sword. ‘Best save your ammunition for the bandits who will soon be here, not waste it on a friend to Bree.’ Uncomfortable with his steady watch of them, the three boys slunk off, further down the little street, disappearing behind one of the small clapboard buildings that occupied it.

Berilac relaxed the grip on his blade, and continued down the road toward the northern side door to the Inn.

[ October 27, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-27-2003, 01:20 AM   #94
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Lotar heard the boys yell into his tent, and it took a moment for him to wake up properly, and stumble out of his bedroll. Then he was worked up into his usual temper.

'I thought I told you...'

His words stopped when he caught the smell of cooking chicken stew. He sat at the campfire and quickly took a bowl. Turning over his shoulder he bellowed for his son, making sure he would not miss out either. At this point he was completely oblivious to Rudgar and Soran who were sitting across from him. Moving great spoonfulls into his mouth, he was absorbed with the stew till his son arrived. It was only then he noticed the campfire was empty of the chicken thief.

'Hmm..looks like he's had enough' Kandel shrugged and took a bowl. Taking a taste he grinned 'This is good! This thief won't ever see a war, he'll stay right here and cook!'

'Hmph...if I don't throttle him first' Lotar said with a low growl, his moth half full of food. Kandel raised an eyebrow 'Ah, ye're way too stubborn!' and gave Lotar a small reprieve.

Rustling around in his pocket absently, Lotar produced the letter the messenger had gave him. 'Well, he did little good waking me to give it to me. Now Im full I might as well read it'

Scanning it quickly, he shrugged. Little had changed at the camp. Food was still scarse and combined with the weather many were will. Their request was the same, they need help.

Lotar threw the letter into the fire, and took up his spoon again. 'Well, looks like we ned to hurry up on that town...'
Old 10-27-2003, 04:40 PM   #95
Arestevana
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Kirima woke to the smell of cooking. She stood slowly, rubbing he eyes and taking in the scene around her. Rudgar was standing by the fire, stirring something. It smelled quite a lot better than anything the bandits had eaten in a long while. The girl smiled. Who would have guessed that the chicken thief could cook?

A messenger walked into the clearing. He had a letter for Lotar, and one for Soran. Kirima sighed in disappointment. She was always eager for news from Weathertop, even with the terrible conditions there. They were starving, she realized with a start, while the scouting party had a good meal in front of them. Suddenly she felt ill. The feeling worsened as she saw Soran refuse his food, confirming that the letter told of starvation.

She sat down again, trying to quell the self-contempt she felt at the thought of eating while others could not. She saw Rudgar move away from the fire, falling asleep against a tree. An idea sprouted in her mind.

They were all thieves, were they not? A bag lay next to Rudgar, presumably filled with more food. She walked over and peered inside, being careful not to wake the sleeper. The bag held vegetables and eggs, and another chicken. Kirima gently lifted the bag and hid it a little ways from Lotar's tent. In a moment Kandel and Lotar left the tent, followed by the messenger who had brought news from Weathertop. Making sure Kandel and Lotar did not see her as they walked down to the fire, Kirima stepped out from behind the tent and tapped the messenger on the shoulder. She handed him the sack of food.

"Please," She said quietly, "Take this to Weathertop when you return. Give it to the families you think need it the most. And make sure Laira has enough for her children. Tell her it's from her brother."
The man nodded and left. Kirima watched for a moment as the messenger retreated down the path, then went back to sit at the fire, staring into the flames.

[ October 27, 2003: Message edited by: Arestevana ]
Old 10-28-2003, 08:44 AM   #96
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Andreth: end of school

Andreth set her pen down on the table, blew on the ink to dry it, and then hastily read over her letter.

Quote:
Master Tomson and Mistress Letitia,

My best greetings to you. I fear that I have a serious matter to bring to your attention.

This morning, your son Will led two of his companions to the school and intentionally disrupted lessons by shooting peas into the classroom. Three of the children were hit, though none seriously. I fear that next time we may not be so lucky.

If these were normal times, I might regard this incident as a childish prank and look the other way. But, with conditions being what they are, I can not take this lenient stance. The Mayor's stated plan for the defence of Bree is to build trust between the Big and Little Folk; this school is one part of that plan.

Let me be totally blunt. I am presently laden down with responsibility at the Inn and school, as well as helping the volunteers to gather in the crops for storage. I can not afford time disciplining young men who should know better!

As you know, I am a member of Bree's Council of Burghurs. If there is a repeat of this incident, or another similar one where the students or myself are selected as targets, I will not hesitate to bring my complaint before the mayor. As you in particular should know, there have been instances in the past when a directive was issued forbidding any and all Breelanders from buying produce or livestick from a specific farm.

I truly hope we do not come to such a drastic measure. I will rely on your good will and integrity to hold your son in check.

Andreth Woolthistle,

Innkeeper, The Prancing Pony
Member of the Council of Burghurs

Andreth looked at the letter and sighed. She did not feel totally comfortable with this course of action but she felt she had little choice. She was enough of a realist to understand that, if she did nothing, Will's misconduct was likely to continue. It would do no good to make a polite request to him, or even to his father. The only thing the two men seemed to understand was a heavy hand above their heads. She folded the letter in half and ran over to hand it to one of the kitchen girls for immediate delivery to the Farroweed farmstead. Then she darted back and stuck her head out the door calling the children in from recess.

The remainder of the morning went reasonably well. She gathered the children round to listen to stories of elves and dragons while they ate something out of their meager lunch packets, and then offered several sugestions how they could practice their letters and numbers at home by using a stick to scratch them in the dirt. As she was finishing up the last story, there was a knock at the door and the familiar face of Berilac appeared once again.....

Chathol-lin's post for Harald:

Harald's post

Harald was so pleased after his encounter with Minastan he practically ran down the street

Why, he agreed to do the spy mission at once! And that look he gave me as I turned away. I do believe Minastan has gone sweet on me, much good may it do him. Well, I hope he comes back in one piece - with some good information.

He headed for the inn, a few streets away. As he neared the inn, he heard the raised voices of children playing and remembered Andreth’s school. It reminded him of his mother, the former Mayor, and her ideas of bringing the Big and Little folk together at the market days.

Ma, I thought you had gone daft, he thought, but that was before the ruffians. Maybe Mistress Andreth knows what she is doing with this school business.

That was when a girl on the run came hurtling around the corner. She crashed straight into the mayor and he went down on his backside. From this vantage point he took a good look at the child and realized that for some reason she reminded him, like Andreth, of his mother. But he had no time to pursue this thought because the girl shouted in his ear:

“Did you see the Big boys? They threw something at Fippi – right through the window!”

“No, and I would like you to return to school. You can tell me what happened as we go.”

When they came to The Prancing Pony Harald said, “After you’ve finished helping with the hedges, come back to my house. I’m going to ask Miss Dantha if you can stay there a while. You will not sleep in the stables anymore.”

Willofain’s eyes grew wide and she smiled. Pulling bits of straw from her light hair, she ran toward Berilac and his group of Hobbit and Big children.

“And give Berilac my regards,” Harald called, surprising himself.

The folk in the common room looked up as Harald entered. “What next, Master Mayor?” said dour Elmirith.

“I’ll tell you, Elmirith” he said. “I want you to go about the streets, shouting that we need sturdy lads and lasses who will work hard on repairing the dikes. They will have to move earth and pile rocks. We can feed them, I think. That has to be pay enough. Will you do that, and get the Captain of Guards to help?”

“Aye,” growled Merilith, “I’m armed. I can walk the streets at will.” He stamped out.

“What was that about?” wondered Harald. He took a seat at a table, ordered hot cider, and waited to see who would show up with more ideas on the defense of the town. If anyone.

[ November 01, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 10-28-2003, 11:30 AM   #97
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Berilac

‘I can wait in the courtyard here if you’re not done as yet.’ Berilac smiled graciously and stepped back a pace, giving the Innkeeper room to invite him in or say they had not yet finished.

She waved him and introduced him to the class. ‘Now you children who are going with Master Beril here, come up and gather round him. And you others, please gather up your lunch pails, or packets, and cloaks and be on your way home. Your parents will be waiting for you.’ She smiled as the class bent to the task of preparing to leave. When they were done and gathered in their little groups, she reminded them all she would see them tomorrow.

Smiles of pleasure greeted the arrival of the Ranger from Mausi’s children, Ella, Mondy, and Kali, and from Fippi, and little Lily. They rushed up to him, chattering their morning’s doings to him, especially the exciting news of the arrival of the mean boys. Kali showed off the red mark on his leg, rather proud of it. And little Lily, clasping the stone on her necklace, spoke up quietly and showed her still red ear. Both grinned in delight, and puffed out their little chests, when Beril commented how brave they were to have endured the injury so well. His eyes narrowed for a moment recalling the ‘toughs’ he had spoken to on his way to the Inn.

He cleared the grave expression from his features and smiling once again bade the children come with him – they were going to walk the Hedge before he took them home, and would each of them please point out the places where he or she knew it was easy to slip through it. He took out a small, leather bound notebook and a hard, drawing charcoal telling them he would sketch the hedge as they went along and mark their findings with an ‘X’.

Beril was just about to herd them out of the classroom, when he looked up and saw two of the Big Folk children standing at the edge of his Hobbit group. ‘Who’s this?’ he asked, waving them forward with his hand, as the Hobbits made way for them.

Kari, it was, and Willowfain, the two girls told him. By this time, Lily and Fippi had gone to stand by each of their seatmates, vouching for them. And pleading - couldn’t they please come with them. Beril gave the girls a considering look, and asked if that would be alright with their parents. The girls, of course, nodded ‘yes’, eagerness for an adventure shining in their eyes. ‘Right, then, let’s go’ he said opening the door, and smiling as the young ones spilled out into the afternoon sun like little birds, twittering and eager to try their wings.

A quick word to Andreth that Kari and Willowfain were with him and he would see them home, and then the group went running and skipping south down the Great East Road that ran by the front door to the Inn. They would start where the southern edge of the hedge met Bree Hill and work their way round to the north.

They had almost neared the South-Gate gatekeepers lodge when he held up his hand and halted them. ‘Now, who can show me any place here you’ve used to get through?’ There was a certain hesitation – these were after all their ‘secrets’ and the secrets of their friends they were revealing.

‘Remember,’ he said, sensing their reluctance, ‘if you can sneak out – the bandits can sneak in.’ He fished into the pack he had brought with him, and gave each of the children an apple, not pressing them again for information, just waiting as he chewed his own.

Moments later, amidst the sounds of teeth chomping on apples, one of them spoke up . . .

[ October 28, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-28-2003, 11:31 AM   #98
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Novnarwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novnarwen Send a message via Yahoo to Novnarwen
Sting

Fippi

"Now you children, who are going with Master Beril here, come up and gather round him. And you others, please gather up your lunch pails, or packets, and cloaks and be on your way home. Your parents will be waiting for you."

Fippi knew at once who he was going with. Yes, yes, yes, it was, Berliac! How the little hobbit boy had looked forward to this, being accompanied by a RANGER! It was amazing, unbelievable. The boy tried not to show how happy he was, trying to keep his head cool. It was supposed to look like this was an ordinary thing, which came natural to Fippi. The hobbit followed the other children, now totally unaffected by the pea-episode. Or rather, his excitement was far too big to think about that now.

Fippi talked eagerly with Ella, Mondy and Kali. Little Lily followed the conversation eagerly. All the time, Fippi tried to get Berlaic's attention by laughing loudly or sending quick comments now and then. They didn't stop once though, not until they reached the South-Gate. At this moment Berliac held up his hand, making the children fall silent.

"Now, who can show me any place here you’ve used to get through?"

Fippi gazed upwards, looking at the gate, before he tried to figure out what the other children were thinking.

"Remember, if you can sneak out – the bandits can sneak in."

Fippi swallowed. Bandits? Dangerous ones? It was just moments before he had yelled out these questions, but calmed, trying to seem sophisticated and relaxed. Berliac tossed an apple over at each of the children. Fippi grabbed it eagerly with both hands. All of them chewed the red circle formed apple, enjoying it to the fullest. Fippi felt the sour juice on his tongue. He let out a little; "Mm," before he thought about what Berliac just had said.

Fippi was just about to open his mouth to say how he got in and out at times, but remembered something very important. He wasn't really allowed to sneak out of town, and certainly not alone, which he had did a number of times, to climb the many trees out there. He hesitated. What if the Ranger told his father, Hedgar or his mother Rosie, for that matter. Fippi knew that his mother would probably over react and get very mad. Hedgar would probably not be too strict about it, but when he would get the warning look from his wife, Rosie, it would get other tones. On the other hand, the little hobbit thought about how he could help this ranger by telling him how Fippi could get in and out, without anyone noticing. This was indeed an encouraging thought. Maybe this would open the doors to Fippi of becoming a RANGER!

Fippis stepped forwards, after thinking about this. "Do you promise not to tell my parents?" he whispered in Berliac's ears. The grown-up hobbit grinned, patting Fippi at the back. "Your secret is safe with me," he said, urging Fippi to explain.

"Do you see those branches?" Fippi asked, moving towards them. Berliac and the others followed, muttering about whether there could be something there. It didn't exactly look like something else than rotten pieces of wood. Fippi bent down, taking the branches away, uncovering what seemed to be some kind of a hole. "It's been hidden from you adults, who don't know where to look," Fippi said, smirking at Berliac.

The Hobbit child explained how the hole ran like a little tunnel with ways inside the hedge. Afterwards it bent outwards, and you would come out to a trench. The other children ate their apples, whilst listening attentively to Fippi's explanation. Berliac smiled, making a drawing on his piece of paper. Fippi finished, being very proud by his honesty. He ate his apple with no further comments.

[ October 28, 2003: Message edited by: Novnarwen ]

Old 10-29-2003, 03:48 AM   #99
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Annunfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rosco

"The Mayor said he would head for the Prancing Pony. So you should find him there."

These words uttered by the Captain of Guards ringing in his mind Rosco walked back from the Town Hall kicking pebbles and biting his lip. Just my luck! I was just there… But reaching the inn's door Rosco decided to try and leave his foul mood on the doorstep. You have a job to do; be polite! he advised himself and stepped in.

Warmth and the sweet smells of cooking lunch greeted the hobbit as he entered the common room. The atmosphere would have been welcoming – had there not been the scowling patrons and their low murmurs. But Rosco had endured them the first time and so he was determined to do now. He scanned the room for the Mayor Harald but, failing to find him there, he addressed a maid, asking her if she knew where the man was. The waitress, burdened by a tray of pints and a bowl of steaming soup, hastily nodded towards the back of the room where a heavy door led to one of the more private chambers of the inn.

"Thank you, kind miss." Rosco spoke and bowed in hobbit fashion before making for the door the maid had pointed at him. In front of this sudden politeness the young girl nearly dropped the dishes she was carrying. The crowd hushed. Rosco took the door handle and grinned in secret, sensing the round eyes staring at him. Finally regaining her balance the maid managed to inch her chin back on its place and stuttered "You're we-welcome, Sir…" just when Rosco stepped into the smaller room and slammed shut the door.

Mayor Harald sat in a big chair, legs stretched towards the fire. Had Rosco closed the door a bit more carefully his entrance would probably have gone unnoticed by the man who was quite obviously engaged in serious contemplation. His frown was deep and his strikingly blue eyes stared at the fire, however without seeing it. At the slam of the door his gaze became focused again and fixed on the newcomer; and for a fraction of a second Rosco witnessed a deeper frown on the Mayor's face before inexpressiveness veiled his thoughts.

"Mr. Woodfarer..." Mayor Harald began and rose from his chair, trying to figure out a proper way to greet this Little Folk leader. But Rosco made the decision easy for him by walking briskly to him and shaking his hand.

"Mayor Harald", Rosco spoke solemnly while gesturing a polite 'no' to the man's invitation to take a seat; "I give you credit for the way you handled yesterday's meeting; it was a success beyond all hopes." The hobbit stepped closer to the hearth and extended his hands towards the fire. He meant what he said but seriously doubted the Mayor would appreciate his commendation. "It is vital that the defences be repaired - and the Hobbits will do their bit in this task." Rosco continued and turned back to face the Mayor, just in time to see how doubt flashed in his eyes. The past prejudices, misgivings and misunderstandings seemed to rest like a thick fog between the two, keeping them from seeing or hearing each other properly. Harald nodded but said naught.

"But gathering supplies is as vital too.", Rosco went on before the silence turned awkward. At these words the Mayor stirred uncomfortably and then spoke out loud what Rosco already knew;

"I have spoken with Mistress Woolthistle about this same matter and I gave her my word to do my best to help. But we need all spare men for the renovations..."

"This is not the problem as we can handle the gathering; we have both wagons and folk for the task. The real problem is that the roads don't seem to be safe anymore..." And Rosco gave a short account of the previous night's happenings. As he finished the Mayor eyed him a while before answering;

"What do you want me to do? As I said already I have no men; no men to patrol the roads day and night. The defences..."

"The defences are useless if the outlaws can walk the roads freely whenever they wish!" Rosco's voice rose menacingly before he could control himself. Taking a deep breath he tried to calm down before continuing; "If they realize there's no-one to even try and block their way then what will keep them from walking right in before you have even began the repair?"

The Mayor seemed reluctant to admit the truth behind the hobbit's words. Fiddling his red neckerchief he paced across the room couple of times before forming his answer;

"I will speak with the Captain of Guards to see what we can do. And the Rangers...they could also help in this matter."

Rosco wasn't all that pleased with this promise but he knew also that it was the best that could be expected. The two shook hands again, both noticeably relieved that the awkward meeting was over. Rosco took to the door but turned back once more before pulling it open;

"I will ask my brother how he feels about the Rangers doing the patrolling. But one thing is for sure: no-one walking those roads should be unarmed." And with those words he left the room.

[ November 02, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]

Old 10-29-2003, 08:49 AM   #100
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Hedgar

Hedgar sat in his wooden chair, having a cup of hot tea in his hand. He sipped it, making sounds which were very unusual, when drinking mid-day tea. However, this wasn't just an ordinary day; it was one of those days when Hedgar needed to think. He didn't have time to do that much on ordinary days. But hey, I can always try to think, Hedgar thought, finishing his cup of tea.

He leaned back, wondering how horrible this was for Fippi. For it sure was horrible, right? What if he sat at the back row in the classroom, on a stool, made of cheap wood? That couldn't be nice, could it? Hedgar grew saddened by this thought. And the more he gave thought to it, then more desperate did he become. "The Big Folk children are at least two times the size of Fippi," he muttered, trying to imagine Fippi almost getting stepped on. Was he that little. Hedgar questioned himself, but tried to think positive. His hobbit boy was a brave, young, stout, energetic, good fellow. He hesitated, brave?

Hedgar tried to clear his thoughts, giving thought to Rosie, who was currently very busy at the kitchen. She was making pea-stewing with mushrooms, her very own speciality. Hedgar was pleased, and decided to go out to close the mills. It was very early for such a decision, but the Hobbit had far too much on his mind, for having the mills open. The only thing he should and would be focusing on, was Fippi, his hobbit boy. His son was probably struggling with this obnoxious idea, about socializing at some kind of a school, which had in the first place been proposed by a BIG FOLK woman!

[ October 29, 2003: Message edited by: Novnarwen ]

Old 10-29-2003, 12:21 PM   #101
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Berilac

Beril crouched down by Fippi, who had turned his attention now to the eating of the apple. ‘Well done, Master Fippi,’ he said, smiling at the lad whose cheeks at crimsoned a bit from the attention and from pride. The Ranger showed the youngsters the place he had marked on his diagram of the hedge, and read the notes he had printed beside it. His finger followed along under the words as he spoke them, and Fippi nodded his head at how Beril had captured what he said in word and pictures.

Apples in hands, they moved at a fair pace northward toward the West Gate. Beril walked at a measured pace, while the children ran before and behind like little shore birds skittering on the sands.

They were about halfway to the gatekeeper’s lodge, when one of the children tugged at his sleeve, halting him, and drawing the group’s attention to another place in the hedge . . .
Old 10-29-2003, 12:22 PM   #102
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Esgallhugwen's post

Lily ate her apple with joy, so sweet and delicious, as they continued to walk along the hedge. She caught a glimpse of one of the holes she remembered sneaking into. She quickly scampered up to Berilac and pointed it out to him. 'There, there!' she pointed eagerly. Berilac turned about smiling at little Lily. 'Where?' he replied happily.

Lily rushed over the hedge and pushed away a thin layer of leaves and branches, revealing a narrow tunnel just big enough to fit one of the children of the Big Folk snuggly if they decided to pass through. 'This is where I come thwu to watch Poppy play with her shiny daggers that Gaffer Goldworthy gave her, see if you go in all the way and come out and walk just a little ways there's a dry stump of dead wood Poppy uses to pwactise' She smiled up eager and happy - she, too, had found a hole that Beril could write down in that nice little note book of his.

She continued to talk about how Poppy loves to go there and took up Kari's hand leading her down to show her.

[ October 30, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-29-2003, 02:56 PM   #103
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Pipe

Rosie

Rosie was in the kitchen, preparing food for the small family as soon as Fippi had finished his first day at school. She liked the idea that Fippi had gone off to somewhere to learn and too meet new children. She was even happy that he would meet some Big Folk. It would be good for him since they all lived so close at hand. Hedgar, however didn't like this more this day than he had done yesterday. But he had approved so this was definitely and improvement from his side.

The nice pea stewing was finally finished and Rosie sat down next to Hedgar to have a cup of nice, sweet tea.

"I hope he is doing alright," Rosie said while sipping her warm tea. The tea was so hot that she burned herself on the cup. Her fingers were itching and her tongue was numb. "At school I mean," Rosie added when she had put down her cup.

Hedgar didn't say much, just nodded carefully.

[ November 01, 2003: Message edited by: Orofaniel ]

Old 10-30-2003, 11:46 AM   #104
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Chathol-linn's post for Willowfain:

The Great Hedge loomed high above the children’s heads, even the Big children. But when you got up close, Willofain knew there would be thin branches and holes.

“Deer made some of the holes,” she said to her companions. “And then the dry weather made them worse this summer.”

“How do you know?” asked Kari.

“Because when I lived out in the country, I used to slip inside town! You see, I used to live with Aunt Ivy in a little house not so far from the crossroads. She was nice but so old! She did not want me going into town but when she took her nap I went anyway. I shouldn’t have, and now that she went to sleep and would not wake up I can’t tell her I’m sorry.”

Berilac overhead this with interest. “You used to slip inside the town? Where?”

“Here,” said the orphan, and she pointed to a large opening. To Berilac’s horror he saw it was dangerously near the West Gate, and a Hobbit child could have walked upright through it.

[ October 31, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 10-30-2003, 12:41 PM   #105
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Berilac

Lily and Kari hung back with Berilac for a while, watching the Ranger as he sketched the hole that Willowfain had shown him. Willowfain walked closely alongside the Hobbit, her finger darting out to point out the places where the hole entered the hedge and then exited on the outer side. The dike at the exit point, she had said, was all crumbly and the ditch nearly filled in there. It was easy to scramble across it to play in the forested lands that side of Bree.

Soon, all the children had surged ahead of him again. There were a number of crows perched along the top of the hedge, at this far northern section of it, and they squawked and shook their feathers at the little group as they passed by. Kari threw her apple core up to them, and one of them sailed toward the fruity missile, catching it neatly in his mouth. The others raised a ruckus and squawked louder at the group. They were rewarded with a barrage of cores flying in the air – some caught by the clever crows, some falling back to the ground to be fallen on themselves by the ever hungry birds.

They drew in sight of the gatekeeper’s lodge for the Northgate. His high stool, was empty, Berilac noted, and the door to the lodge was ajar, and swung slowly back and forth on its hinges when the breezes reached it. ‘Where is he?!’ muttered, the Ranger, as he shaded his eyes, peering toward the gate.

It was Mondy who tugged at his sleeve and pointed back in the direction of the Inn. ‘He goes every afternoon to the Prancing Pony. Same time – when the sun’s just about where it is now. Gets himself a skin of Ale, talks to the fellows who sit about on the Inn steps; then; he wanders back to the lodge and settles in for the night.’ Berilac filed this appalling bit of information away, to be shared later with the Mayor and with Rosco.

His attention was drawn away from this problem by an insistent tug on the sleeve from one of the other children . . .
Old 10-30-2003, 03:43 PM   #106
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Kari tugged impatiently on Berliac's sleeve. "Sir! I know where a hole is!"

She bent down without waiting for a response and pushed back a few loose branches. A wide and farely tall hole was exposed; a bandit could very easily crawl through on his hands and knees. "See! I sometimes like ta sneak through here when Father gets mad at me..." She playfully frowned and bent down to show how she crawled through the hedge.

"We should get it patched up. Don' want no bandits in 'ere!" She got back up proudly, smiling.

[ October 31, 2003: Message edited by: ArwenBaggins ]
Old 10-31-2003, 01:58 AM   #107
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Kali, Ella, Mondy

"Surely there can't be any more holes in the hedge! We must have found them all," Lily crossed her arms and stamped her foot impatiently. For after a long day at school and an even longer trek, her feet were beginning to ache and her stomach to grumble. Nor was she the only one who was feeling a little restless.

"Just a bit longer," Berilac assured the children, glancing towards the older Honeysuckle siblings who had promised to show him one or two trouble spots near the North Gate. Berilac nodded at the gatekeeper who was at least on duty and continued walking towards the base of Bree Hill. It was Mondy and Ella who now spoke up, identifying two different places nearby where there were clear breaks in the hedge.

One was a tiny hole, only big enough for a young hobbit lass to wriggle inside. It was half hidden by a number of small branches that Ella had propped up at the entrance the day before, thinking to conceal the secret place for herself and her friends so no others could find it. She slipped inside the opening and came out holding a water flask along with the remnents of a hard cracker or two stored in a small pouch, provisions she had left on an earlier afternoon outing.

The group continued a few more paces until they came to the point where the fortifications actually disappeared from sight for a moment, veering around to their extreme right. Following the path around, Mondy pointed to a gaping hole of considerable proportions just ahead that extended clear through the hedge and came out on the other side, some five or six feet tall. Of all the places they had visited, this one was in the worst shape.

"What happened here?" queried Berilac, his voice laced with concern.

Mondy looked over and grinned. Apparently this was a well known story in the streets of Bree. "This is where Will Farroweed drove a cart into the hedge! He stole a flask from his father and went driving madly down the Great East Road. Only his horse and cart veered off and catapaulted over the ditch, slamming them into the hedge."

Berilac said nothing but was privately appalled that nothing had been done to repair the mess other than to drag the broken cart away; this had only made the hole look bigger. He shook his head and sighed, "Is that it then? Everyone finished?" He glanced at the members of the group one-by-one. Kali fidgeted and hung his head, refusing to meet Berilac's eye.

Noticing his brother's behavior, Mondy leaned over and whispered, "What's wrong? If you know something, you need to tell it!"

"It's not exactly the hedge," Kali spluttered out, trying to explain. "Well, it is and it isn't... You see it's the place where the hedge ends and Bree-Hill begins." He stopped an instant and sighed, "I didn't want to tell anybody because there's a treasure there."

The young lad looked up sheepishly, then broke loose of the group and sprinted forward with everyone else following behind. He led them to the spot where the hedge came flush against the base of Bree-Hill. The fortifications halted abruptly since no bandit could have scaled such a vertical slope. Unlike the earlier parts of the hedge and dyke, this section was far from the road and shielded from sight by a thick screen of overhanging trees and bushes. If anyone had wanted to conduct business on the sly, this would have been the perfect place.

Kali tugged on Berilac's sleeve and lowered his voice, "Promise me you won't get angry... And don't tell mom..." Berilac smiled as Kali led the older hobbit forward underneath the cliff. To anyone who might chance by this hidden nook, the outer facade of the hedge looked perfectly normal. However, Kali pulled out a branch or two and soon revealed the beginnings of an inner hole. The lad poked his body inside and came out again carrying a rusty dagger whose point was broken off, the remains of several broken beer flasks, and a copper penny or two.

"My treasure! Maybe there were pirates here?" Kali's face looked hopeful; he held the dagger up to the light as if it was the finest sword in Bree and stared round at his friends to see how they would respond. Ella and Mondy exchanged quiet glances. Since Kali's greatest dream was to sail off in a boat, they were not surprised their younger brother would think these things were left by pirates. What did surprise them is that he had never before told either of them about his treasure.

[ October 31, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]

Old 10-31-2003, 11:53 AM   #108
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Berilac

‘Brilliant! All of you!’ The words of praise tumbled from the grinning mouth of the Ranger. ‘I knew your keen eyes would catch things the grown-ups didn’t notice.’ Berilac gathered the children about him and showed them the finished drawing of the hedge with all its extra entrances and exits, pointing out each child’s names who had given the information. He told them that they all had had good ideas when they tried to hide their secret holes with leafy branches, because that would also be a good idea for how to fill up the holes.

Little Kali piped up with another idea, talking about the treasures he had found. ‘You know, it was kind of dangerous at first crawling into the hedge there. Those broken flasks left a lot of sharp pieces, and I nicked my hands and knees a few times before I got most of it cleaned out.’ He chewed on his lip as he worked through his thoughts. ‘Why don’t we gather up the old broken bottles and mugs and flasks we have in the rubbish heap outside the town and stuff those sharp pieces in there, too?’

Someone snickered at the idea of bringing garbage back into town, but Berilac said he thought that just might work. He looked appraisingly at Kali, wondering if his mother knew the young scamp had been frequenting the rubbish dump in probable search for more treasures.

‘I’ve a final treat for you all, for being such good hedge-scouts and willing helpers.’ He fished once again into his pack and brought out a leather sack tied securely at the top. ‘Hold out your hands,’ he said, his eyes twinkling as he placed several pieces of strawberry taffy, wrapped up in twists of thin paper, and a rather large jawbreaker in each pair. There was one jawbreaker left, and the children wondered who would get the extra one. But Berilac popped the round sweet into his own mouth and winked at them. ‘My favorite!’ he explained, securing the candy in his left cheek.

Kari’s house was the closest. As the group approached the short path from her gate to the front door, Berilac thought he saw the curtain twitch in the front window, and someone peer out for the briefest of moments. ‘Good!’ he thought to himself, someone is home to meet her. Berilac waved as a friendly greeting and the curtain fell back into place. Kari gave Lily a little hug, saying she would see her tomorrow; then, ran hurriedly to her house and in the door.

Lily was delivered safely to Poppy’s door, her hands sticky from taking the jawbreaker in and out of her mouth to see what color it had turned as she sucked on it. Then it was Fippi’s turn. Hi parents came out to meet him, and Fippi scampered toward them, waving a piece of taffy each for them in his hands. Words tumbled all over themselves as he tried to cram his day into sentences to tell them. He turned as Berilac and the others started down the road and waved at them.

Willowfain was the next to last, leaving them as they reached the Inn. She, too, waved her good-byes, saying she would see them all tomorrow. Andreth made a brief appearance at the door, and motioned the Ranger over. She had a puzzled look on her face as she scanned the remaining children. ‘Isn’t Edmund with you?’ she asked. ‘I thought he might have joined your group.’ Berilac shook his head ‘no’, saying they hadn’t seen her son. Kali began to fidget at the mention of Edmund, torn between what he’d seen and his natural inclination not to rat out another child.

It was Ella who pushed her younger brother forward. And Berilac who laid his hand on the young man’s shoulder, saying he needed to tell Miz Andreth what he knew – so she wouldn’t worry. Kali took a deep breath, knowing that what he saw was not going to make her worry any less.

‘I saw him talking to that Will fellow,’ he said in a barely audible voice, his toes scuffing hard in the dirt. ‘I think he went with him . . .’

Berilac offered to come back and help find Edmund, but Andreth, said she would take care of the matter and went back inside. ‘Oh, boy!’ muttered Kali, to his brother and sister. ‘She had the same look mima gets when one of us gets in trouble!’

Soon the four were back at Mausi’s house. And the children vied for her attention, wanting to share the news of the day. Berilac had withdrawn to the front room. He sat in one of the chairs by the little fireplace, his notebook open to the map he’d made. A week, he thought, could see this project done, the holes all filled, the hedge secured against intrusion.

He rubbed his forehead as he reread the notes about the broken knife that Kali had shown him. Had the bandits already come into town to do spying, he wondered. Or was the hole just a place they used as a vantage point and had come in no further. ‘That would be preferable,’ he thought to himself, ‘but not likely.’ Ella’s voice called him from his dark wonderings, saying that dinner would be ready soon, and mima had asked if he would help Mondy gather in a little more wood for the cooking fire.

‘With pleasure, m’Lady,’ he said, laughing a little as she blushed. ‘Show me the way!’

Old 10-31-2003, 05:06 PM   #109
Eruantalon
Wight

Pipe

Rudgar woke the next morning refreshed and happy. He had a wonderful dinner and looked forward to a nice breakfast. Now to just get start…..there seemed to be a problem his bag was missing. He had been robbed. They actually robed the man who fed them! Now if this was not cause to get upset what was?

He didn’t show how upset he was. He walked straight down to the camp and took a look around. He sneaked around the hedges and corners so no one would see him. No one was cooking anything by the fire. No one was eating anything?

He snuck down behind Lotars tent. He lifted the edge and waited. No one came into the tent. No one had his food anywhere. He couldn’t seal it back. It was early and not many where up. The ones that where up where just waking up? He didn’t understand did they steal his food out of spite? Why would they steal food they didn’t plan on eating? They couldn’t have eaten it the night before. He had a giant pot of chicken stew he made.

The anger he felt dug deep into him. What kind of bandits are these? I’ll have to get some proper ones and befriend them. Then there will be some one to watch my back. I have to get started soon this Lotar isn’t really moving that fast. I know where I can find people. I just have to go closer towards the town. I’ll pick up a good set of people and we’ll be off plundering soon!!

No more of this and none of them will know what I’m up to either. Just have to push this Lotar out of the way and I’ll have command over all of them. Still I sleep vary light this thief must be vary light footed? Maybe I can get them on my side in the end.

The morning went right on and every one awoke. Rudgar needed to get out of there soon. He went to kandel and asked if anyone was going out to scout for new recruits. He said that wasn’t what they where doing today. “That’s my chance no ones looking so I’ll round them all up.” Seeing his chance he took to the woods and told Kandel and let him know he was going out to get more food. Since they would probably need it.

He went walking through the brush and picked berries while he went. They weren’t eggs but they would do for now. It seemed like a nice day to be out. Rudgar enjoyed his walk through the forests. He got nearer to the town and took an unmarked path. He went down to the end where a cave was situated at the other side of a hill.

“Hello is anyone home?”

“Rudgar what are you doing here?”

“Tarin I’ve taken up with some bandits. There not proper ones but they’ll do for now. They have greater numbers up on the weather top. I have gotten a plan and I am going to offer you a chance.”

“What do you mean Rudgar?”

“I mean attacking and plundering the town of Bree!”

“Rally now we’ll have to get a nice number together for that.”

“Tarin pay attention.” He said in a mocking slow manner.

“They have bigger numbers on the weather top.”

“Yes of course. I’ll round up some ruff characters and you can do the same right?”

“The sooner we start the sooner we finish!!”

The two bandits went out into the day with the promise of gold in there minds. They had time and they had lots of people who would want in on this. The town of Bree was large enough to promise a good bounty. Rudgar explained his plans as he went along. Tarin listened intently as they went along.

[ October 31, 2003: Message edited by: Eruantalon ]
Old 11-01-2003, 10:13 AM   #110
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Hedgar & Family

Hedgar leapt towards Fippi as his son arrived. There was sure need for a hug here, the hobbit thought. He grabbed the little hobbit, but didn't hug him until Berliac and the other children had left. "Bye!" Fippi called after them, to Hedgar's annoyance. Fippi was thereafter led by his father into the dining room, where Rosie was just about to call them for dinner.

"How was it?" Hedgar asked Fippi, eagerly.

Rosie looked at her husband, but didn't say anything. Hedgar ate his stewing, still waiting for a reply. Fippi made a grimace, as he discovered the pea-stewing.

"What's wrong with the peas?" Hedgar cried out. For his sake, he thought this dinner was wonderful - the best. And he just couldn't understand how Fippi could make grimaces. He breathed heavily, trying to figure out how he could apologize for his behaviour.

"I didn't mean to be harsh on you boy," he started, while seeing in the corner of his eye, Rosie's lips tightly curled together; she was frustrated.

"I was only wondering about..." Hedgar fell silent. Fippi didn't even look at him; he just kept looking down at the peas. Hedgar tried again to figure out how he could solve this in a peaceful way, but couldn't really come up with anything. How come he had lost his patience so quickly?

"I don't like peas, I never have! The outburst came as a surprise, but Hedgar was more eager to hear why it came than the fact that Fippi was actually mad.

[ November 05, 2003: Message edited by: Novnarwen ]
Old 11-01-2003, 12:39 PM   #111
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

The door to the small cottage swung open and Kari bound inside. "Father! I had a great day at school today!" She dropped her lunch pail by the door and went to sit next to her father near the window.

"I heard..." Alvinac murmured, putting down his mug of ale. "I went to pick you up earlier, and Andreth said that you went home with a group of others and a Ranger."

Kari beamed. "Yeah, an' I made all kinds of fri-" Alvinac stopped her, a stern but worried look on his face.

The miller took a deep drink from his mug and continued. "I saw a Hobbit Ranger bring you home."

The girl frowned a bit and kicked her feet slightly. All she could manage was a slight wimper of sympathy. Alvinac stood and slammed the door closed. "You did not tell me that Hobbits would be at this school!"

Kari stood up in protest. "There's nothing wrong with hobbits! They're just as normal as you and me, but a little shorter! My new hobbit friend Lily even said I looked like a hobbit 'cause of my curly hair!" her expression tightened and she stomped her foot.

"You," her father paused, trying to decide if he wanted to show his true emotions. He then continued. "and I may think that hobbits are just people too, but everyone else doesn't! Do you want to be made fun of and teased for the rest of your life? Do you want your nickname to be 'Hobbit-girl'?"

Kari blinked. Father likes hobbits too! I'll be able to go to the school after all! She thought to herself.

Just as if reading her mind, Alvinac got down on his knees and looked Kari in the eye. "I've got to protect you. You can't go back to that school. I'll have to talk to Andreth in the morning."

His daughter opened her mouth to protest, but decided it was of no use. He was going to talk to Andreth, and that was that.

[ November 01, 2003: Message edited by: ArwenBaggins ]
Old 11-01-2003, 12:49 PM   #112
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Will and gang harass the children going home

Once the Ranger had left, Will and his friends returned to the place where they had told Edmund they would meet him. They were brave after the fact, calling the Hobbit Ranger all sorts of names, and affirming each other’s opinion that he had no right to try to push them around.

They crept a little closer to the street edge to have a good view of the Inn. They could see the Ranger collecting his group and made a few rude comments on the character of the Big Folk children who went with them. The others in the class began to trickle out. And before they had all left the classroom, Edmund came running up from a back street, his little squirrel tucked safely in his tunic. He had devised a little harness with a thin piece of rope for a leash so it couldn’t run off.

‘Hurry,’ said Will, motioning him to them. ‘I see a likely group we can follow along with.’

Edmund had forgotten to look for a pea shooter, and Will pulled out his extra one and loaded the boy’s pocket with dried peas for ammunition. ‘Lookee there,’ snorted Roddy, pointing to the last group of five to leave the Inn Courtyard and head down the road. ‘What the heck are they doing with those stupid Hobbit kids?’

The gang’s head turned to see Rollo and Randy head west with three Hobbits – Marigold, Pearl and her little brother Hamson. Hamson was laughing uproariously at something one of the twins had said, and even the two older girls were giggling. ‘There’s our pigeons!’ cried Will, nudging Edmund. Edmund gave a nod and a grin to the rest of the boys, saying, ‘Come on! I know how we can sneak behind the Inn and over the lane where Randy and Rollo live. There’s some bushes there we can hide behind.’

The gang was soon in place, and soon after their ears caught the laughing and chattering of the little group as they approached. ‘Let’s get ‘em,’ whispered Will. Roddy, Bart, Edmund, and Will rushed out and circled the little group of Hobbits and the twins. They taunted the twins calling them all sorts of horrid names for liking the Hobbits. And the Hobbits they called worse names and dashed in to push them about. When the twins yelled at them to stop – Bart, Edmund and Will fired off round after round of peas at them, hitting the now screaming and crying children in the arms, legs, and faces. Roddy was the worst – he had brought some old eggs in a satchel from his father’s farm, and threw the rotten missiles.

One of the Big Folk who lived nearby heard the commotion and rushed out with her broom, driving the gang away from the frightened and hurt children. Will and gang went running, laughing at their fine prank. They split up once they got back to the main street – Will, Bart, and Roddy to run home, and Edmund to sneak back to the Inn.

On the way back, Edmund ran into one of his friends. ‘Boy are you gonna get it,’ his friend told him. ‘Your mom’s been looking all over for you. She came to our house to see if you were with me. I tried to cover for you, but my mom gave me her “look” and I caved in, saying I had no idea where you went.’

Edmund blanched at this news. He skirted the Inn and sneaked in the back way to the stables. Climbing up to the loft, he settled in to one of the hay piles. ‘Best I just wait it out up here,’ he told his squirrel, as he took him out of his tunic and settled the animal in his lap. ‘Maybe mom will have forgotten if I wait long enough.'

The squirrel cocked his little head and seemed to give Edmund a look of sympathy.
Old 11-01-2003, 06:04 PM   #113
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Andreth worries about her son...

Will? Edmund was with Will? Kali's news had the opposite effect that Berilac had intended. Of all the situations she could imagine, this had to be one of the worst. She vowed to make good on her threat that she'd voiced in her earlier letter.

Still, that didn't solve her present problem. She needed to get her son back as quickly as she could. Will was twice as old as Edmund. What could the older boy possibly want other than to tease Edmund, or drag him off on some serious mischief?

Her own reaction had initially been one of anger that her son had stolen off without getting his mother's permission. But as minutes dragged on into hours and still no Edmund appeared, her anger gradually ebbed and was replaced by deepening concern. What if Will attacked the boy or enticed him into some dangerous situation where he could get hurt? She could not simply sit here and do nothing.

Andreth ordered Ban to saddle one of the horses and ride over to the Farroweed household to try to find out when their son was expected home. But there was no one at the house, not even Letty who had a clearer head on her shoulders than the other members of the family.

Next Andreth tried searching the streets of Bree and personally inquiring at the houses belonging to families with whom Edmund had been friendly. But no one she spoke with had seen her son. She even scratched out a brief note for Mayor Harald asking the deputies to let her know if any of them chanced upon Edmund in the course of their daytime rounds.

With nothing to do except sit and wait, wild thoughts ranged through her mind. Perhaps Kali was wrong. Perhaps, it hadn't been Will at all, but one of the ruffians from outside the city who'd come to threaten innocent children. She should have taken up Berilac's offer to help her find the boy. Panic welled up in Andreth's heart as she remembered the day that her husband had driven off in the wagon and never returned. In a very real sense, her boy was everything she had left.

Andreth pushed down her mounting unease and forced herself to go through the steps of greeting visitors at the Inn, discussing the menu with Cook, and instructing the servants on what to do, all the while keeping close contact with Ban who'd been sent out to do more searching, including all of Edmund's favorite spots where the lad liked to go when he was upset. When the stable boy returned without any news, Andreth found herself unable to continue with her chores, begging off, and going out on the porch of the Inn to talk with passersby and inquire if they'd seen either Will or Edmund.

By late afternoon, there was still no word and Andreth found herself fighting back tears. Her son was six years old and should be here at her side, not off somewhere with a band of hooligans. Just let him come home safely, she begged of whatever greater powers might be nearby, and I will make Will and Tom Farroweed sorry that they ever tangled with our family.

[ November 02, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 11-01-2003, 06:08 PM   #114
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Orofaniel's post

Fippi comes home

School was now over. Fippi had to admit that he had enjoyed it very much. But the small incident with the pea hadn't been a very pleasant experience. He still got the small red mark on the back of his neck.

*~*

When Fippi arrived his father had given him a big hug. His father had seemed very eager to know how the school had been. "How was it?" he asked his son.

Fippi didn't say much however, he wasn't in the mood, as his mother used to call it. When people aren't willing or don't feel like talking, or even answering other people's question. Fippi was a very polite small boy, but it had its limits.

As Fippi walked in to the kitchen with his parents so they could eat, Fippi saw the pea -stewing that was on the table. It made him think of the pea he had been hit by earlier the same day.

What's wrong with the peas?" Hedgar asked loudly when he saw the grimace in Fippi's face. The hard voice was cold and strange. Fippi, knew however that his father meant to be angry, he just had a quick temper at times. It was understandable.

"I didn't mean to be harsh on you boy," he started, while he looked over at his wife Rosie. Se had been quiet for a long time, and she didn't start to speak now either.

"I was only wondering about..." Hedgar fell silent. Fippi tried to avoid his father eyes, and looked down in the mountain of peas on his plate. Yes, because it was a mountain of them...the green mountain of peas, he thought.

Then without thinking he blurred out: "I don't like peas, I never have!

Hedgar looked at Fippi. "You don't like peas?"

--------------------------------

Rosie

Fippi remained silent, but the Rosie got up from her chair. She went over to Fippi, who had not dug his head down in his small hobbit hands. He was obviously upset by something. What was wrong with her boy? Why was he sad? Rosie thought. Had there been something that was wrong at school?

"What's wrong Fippi?" she asked him with a soft voice. But she hadn’t completed her sentence when she saw a red spot on the back of his neck. She gazed. "What is it dear?" Hedgar asked her, he had seen the queer look upon her face.

"Come and look for yourself." She said while she clapped her son on the head. "What's happened to you, boy?" Hedgar asked Fippi when he saw the red spot.

Fippi sighed. "There were some boys who threw peas on us at school. A pea hit me on the back of my neck," Fippi said trying to point where he had been hit.

"Oh...that's why you don't like the pea-stewing," Rosie said trying to comfort Fippi.

Hedgar didn't like the thought of his boy being hit by peas while he was at school. It was quiet obvious. There was a short silence before anyone said something.

"Maybe you should go and talk to the Innkeeper tomorrow, dear." Rosie said to Hedgar. Hedgar looked at her with great eyes. "You want m-me to g-go and t-talk to her?" he asked her seeming surprised of her question.

"Yes, of course I want you to. You are his father.....and you're not getting away, you must do this." She said strictly.

Hedgar smiled. "Of course I'm going to do this. Me, getting away? No...." he said. ” I was just so surprised that you wanted me to go and talk to the Innkeeper, that's all. " Hedgar added at the end.

"Yes, I know dear. We don't usually agree at these things...This time, however, we do agree." She smiled with her white teeth.

Rosie turned her head towards Fippi. He was still sitting on his chair all quiet. "So, what do you want me to make for you, eh?" Rosie said to him while she gave a short laugh. "Anything special you'd fancy?" She added. Fippi's eyes brightened up at once...

[ November 05, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 11-01-2003, 06:44 PM   #115
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Andreth

Several hours later, with the dinner hour approaching, Andreth gave up her vigil on the porch and trudged drearily inside retreating to the kitchens. It was at this point that Ban ran up and tugged impatiently on her sleeve, pulling her towards the stables. The relieved look on his face said everything she needed to know. The lad scurried to the rear of the building where mounds of hay had been laid down for storage in anticipation of the coming winter; the stacks towered some fifteen feet above the ground. Ban scrambled his way to the nearest mound and began clawing upward, beckoning Andreth to follow. "Up here, Mistress Andreth. Use the ladder. It will be easier than scrambling up."

Andreth quickly scaled the ladder and stood on the topmost rung looking down. There, curled up in a little ball asleep, was a dirty, disheveled looking Edmund with a squirrel peering down from his shoulder. How long he had been there, she could not guess. The boy and his pet had never looked so good. Heedless of the height, she slipped her body into the hay, and cradled Edmund against her shoulder, being careful to bring along the squirrel as well. She managed to slide down the mound, and with Ban's steadying hand, was able to get to the ground with Edmund still asleep.

On the walk back to the Inn, Ban told Andreth the full story he'd heard on the streets how Will had led the boy into some serious mischief. Thankfully, none of the children had been hurt, but that had been a matter of luck. When Andreth heard the details of what had happened, she shuddered and sighed, knowing there would have to be some very serious consequences, both for her own son and those who had enticed him to do this deed. And she fully expected to be hearing from some angry parents shortly.

But something stayed her hand from waking the child now. Let him sleep through the night, which he undoubtedly would. They would deal with the problems in the morning. She slipped Edmund into his bed, pulled up the cover and bent down to kiss his head; then she put the squirrel back into his cage, stopping to feed it with a few nuts and seeds that Edmund had thoughtfully provided. How could a little boy be so loving and caring of such a tiny thing and yet turn around and belt other children? If only she knew the answer to that.....

Old 11-02-2003, 03:28 AM   #116
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Big Tom Farroweed receives Andreth's letter

The serving girl from The Prancing Pony took her time walking to the Farroweed farm. It was a nice day, and she was glad to be out of the stuffy atmosphere of the Inn and out from under the thumb of the cook. Those were, at least, part of the reason she ambled along as if she were on a holiday ramble. The other reason was that she knew this letter was something Big Tom was not going to like. And how did she know this? She had opened it and read it.

Her stride decreased markedly, almost to a halt, in fact, as she neared the narrow dirt path that led up to the cottage. In a moment of indecision she almost stuck the letter in the branches of a bush near the path’s entrance and thought to run back to the Inn. She knew, however, that Mistress Andreth would ask had she delivered the letter and would read the lie on her face if she tried to say ‘yes’. With a sigh, she dragged up to the front door and knocked.

No one answered, and she was about to stick the letter in the door jamb when the booming voice of Big Tom hailed her. Letty had gone off to the neighbors, he told her, wouldn’t be back for a while. The girl told him it was him she meant to see – Mistress Andreth had written him a letter.

Big Tom raised his brows at her and took the letter between his thick fingers. Opening it, her perused it from top to bottom; then, folded it up once again. ‘No use you standing here waiting for an answer,’ he told her. ‘Too many "high falutin” words! I can’t make sense of them. Letty’ll read it to me when she gets home.’ He turned a critical eye on the girl who had heaved a relieved sigh and was just about to make off for Bree. ‘Unless of course you want to read it to me?!’

‘Oh no, sir! Can’t read at all!’ she lied, turning quickly to go and hurrying off down the path. ‘Say “hi” to Miz Letty won’t you, sir? And so sorry I couldn’t help you.’

~*~

It was after dinner, the children had all gone to bed, that Big Tom remembered the letter he had jammed in the waistband of his breeches. He was sitting at the kitchen table, oiling the bridle for the cart horse, while Letty did some mending. The light from a bright oil lamp lit both their projects. Letty laid down her needle and thread and slipped the leather thimble from her finger. She turned the lamp up just a little, then smoothed the creased paper on the table’s top.

‘What is it, Letty?’ asked Tom, as he ran a soft cloth over the bridle, wiping off the excess oil and bringing a sheen to the metal. ‘Out with it now. I know it’s some nonsense from that troublemaker at the Pony.’

Letty blanched as she read it over. Clearing her throat, she read it quietly to Big Tom:

Master Tomson and Mistress Letitia,

My best greetings to you. I fear that I have a serious matter to bring to your attention.

This morning, your son Will led two of his companions to the school and intentionally disrupted lessons by shooting peas into the classroom. Three of the children were hit, though none seriously. I fear that next time we may not be so lucky.

If these were normal times, I might regard this incident as a childish prank and look the other way. But, with conditions being what they are, I can not take this lenient stance. The Mayor's stated plan for the defense of Bree is to build trust between the Big and Little Folk; this school is one part of that plan.

Let me be totally blunt. I am presently laden down with responsibility at the Inn and school, as well as helping the volunteers to gather in the crops for storage. I can not afford time disciplining young men who should know better!

As you know, I am a member of Bree's Council of Burghers. If there is a repeat of this incident, or another similar one where the students or myself are selected as targets, I will not hesitate to bring my complaint before the mayor. As you in particular should know, there have been instances in the past when a directive was issued forbidding any and all Breelanders from buying produce or livestock from a specific farm.

I truly hope we do not come to such a drastic measure. I will rely on your good will and integrity to hold your son in check.

Andreth Woolthistle,

Innkeeper, The Prancing Pony
Member of the Council of Burghers

Tom’s face was livid with anger as Letty put down the letter. ‘The gall of that woman! Threatening me! And all over some little bit of fun Will and his friends were having.’ Letty tried to shush him, saying he would wake the children. ‘Don’t shush me, woman! I’m having none of it!’ Big Tom drummed his fingers on the table, then balled up his fist and let it come crashing down on the letter. The lamp wobbled wildly from the force of his blow, and Letty jumped up to steady it.

‘She can take her Hobbit loving ways and keep ‘em outta my way. She’ll not be telling me how to take care of my own son. And I’ll be darned if she’ll threaten me with her “di-rectives” either.’ A decided crafty look crept onto his face. A rather frightening look, or so Letty thought, as the light from the lamp cast some of his features into shadow.

He nodded his head and spoke in an eerily calm voice to himself. ‘There’s plenty of others what will buy my pigs . . . just have to look them up . . .’

Letty shivered as she heard these words. Who were these ‘others’ she wondered, and just where would he be ‘looking them up’? her concerns went unvoiced as Big Tom pulled the letter toward him and bade her bring him the quill and ink.

He criss-crossed the text of Andreth’s letter with a thick ‘X’, then printed his answer in wobbly letters at the bottom:

Keep yer nose outta my biznuss! – TW

He plunked the nib of the quill down so hard on the dot of the exclamation point that ink splattered all over the bottom half of the letter in drips and thick drops. Tom left it on the table to dry, as he motioned for Letty to put out the light and come to bed.

‘I’ll have one of the boys take it into town early tomorrow morning,’ he said lighting their way upstairs with a small candle lantern. Letty shook her head as she trailed him up the steps. ‘How am I ever going to undo this?’ she murmured to herself . . .

Old 11-02-2003, 08:56 AM   #117
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Guthwine's arrival at the bandits' camp - one day later

The riders quietly picked their path through the woods on the final leg of their journey from the Weather Hills. The earlier envoy who bore the letter to Soran had returned to the larger encampment at the Weather Hills and it was now a full day later. These two had been travelling since early morning and were glad to see their final destination in sight. Conditions on the trail had not been good; the day had been unseasonably cold for mid Halimath with a heavy fog making it difficult to see and steady rain that had soaked them to the bone.

The slender young man who rode in front was a trained scout who'd made this particular trip many times before and could easily pick out the hidden grove Lothar had chosen as his campsite, which was so cleverly concealed from outside eyes. His companion was built more heavily and gave the appearance of being a soldier. The older man wore a shirt of chain mail underneath a surcoat and on his head was a protective hat also made of mail. A decorative girdle was strapped about his waist with a heavy iron broadsword on one hip and a mace hanging from the other. He gave the appearance of being very comfortable with these weapons.

Even from halfway down the path, Guthwine could hear voices raised in anger. At the edge of the encampment but still within the protective shield of the trees, he raised his hand in warning and cautioned the scout to stop. No one in the camp itself was aware of the two men peering out at them from within the leafy overhang.

Guthwine shook his head and scowled as he surveyed the encampment. Lotar had evidently neglected to set a guard, perhaps because it was not yet twilight. Yet a mistake like that could be perilous if he had been an enemy. Ahead of him, he could hear and see the two men arguing. One was clearly Lothar, the leader of the group, a familar figure whom Guthwine had known for some years. The other was a cocky young lad whom Guthwine did not recognize who talked as fast as he could, defending something he'd done the day before.

"Did I give you permission to go out and round up recruits for this band?" Lothar belowed. "I'm in charge here...not you! When it's time to recruit, I'll let you know! Lotar drew a deep breath, struggling to master his temper, and then continued more evenly, "Rudgar, you'll just have to trust that I know a bit more about this situation than you do."

The boy retorted without hesitation, "Trust? How can I trust you and your pack of thieves?" His eyes swept accusingly over the others who sat huddled in the rain near the fire, then turned back to Lotar. "Did I give you and your thugs permission to steal a smoked chicken from my bag? I go out and find food for everyone, and this is how I'm rewarded! I figured I'd better do what was in my own best interests. Anyways, the more men you have, the more likely it is that we'll succeed. so I don't know why you're complaining!" With that, Rudgar shrugged his shoulders and sat down on a log.

Lotar grimaced, "Boy, believe me! I know nothing about any chicken. But I am responsible for the safety of this group. And the next time you do something like this, you need to talk with me first. Do that one more time and you'll be out on your ear!" At that point, Lotar turned and stalked off down the trail, presumably retreating to the privacy of his own tent.

Guthwine waited a moment for things to settle down and then pushed into the encampment with the scout following just behind him. The older man pushed forward without hesitation and bluntly addressed the group sitting by the fire, "I'm here from the Weather Hills with a dire message for Lotar. There's been a change in plans and I need to speak with him immediately." He looked up expectently to see who would respond and what attitude they would take.

[ November 03, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 11-02-2003, 01:02 PM   #118
Arestevana
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Kirima sat huddled next to the fire. She drew her tattered cloak closer, attempting to drive off the chill brought on by the rain. There was a dreary feeling throughout the campsite, both from the cold, wet weather and from the violent shouting between Lotar and the chicken thief. Rudgar was now speaking, his voice loaded with contempt.

"Trust? How can I trust you and your pack of thieves? Did I give you and your thugs permission to steal a smoked chicken from my bag? I go out and find food for everyone, and this is how I'm rewarded!" He glanced accusingly at those seated by the fire. Kirima quickly looked away, feeling guilty.

The shouting continued for a moment, before Rudgar sat down angrily by the fire and Lotar stormed off to his tent. Kirima moved over to where Rudgar was sitting, speaking quietly before she lost her nerve. "I'm sorry, Rudgar. I was the one as stole the food. You won't find it. I sent it with the messenger from the Weather Hill. Please don't be mad at Lotar, he really didn't know what was going on."

She glanced at Rudgar, expecting him to be angry with her. There was no time for her to hear his response, however, for at that moment two strangers burst into the clearing. All of those seated at the fire looked up in surprise. The older man pushed forward and spoke to them. "I'm here from the Weather Hills with a dire message for Lothar," He said. "There's been a change in plans and I need to speak with him immediately."

Kirima stood up, relieved to have an excuse not to look at Rudgar. "Lotar will be in his tent. It is at the end of the path there," she added, pointing. "But I fear you may find him in an ill mood."

[ November 02, 2003: Message edited by: Arestevana ]
Old 11-03-2003, 12:38 AM   #119
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Lotar almost knocked his tent half down storming through the entrance.

'The nerve of that boy! Does he have no substance between his ears?! He could've hired anyone!!!'

He buried his fist in his bed roll to vent. He hoped Kandel wouldnt show up to cheer him this time. He really did not need that kind of help.

When he heard a rustle, he jerked around and yelled 'I warn ye Kandel! Leave me to my own devices! Blast any messenger that bothers me!!'

'Hmph. You always were to quick to anger. I knew you would'nt change Lotar'

Lotar took a while to reguster the voice, but once he got a clear view of the mans face, he balled his fist.

'Guthwine'

'Aye, it is me. I have news from Weathertop. And this time I hope it will go answered'

'Do not plague me now Guthwine, not now' he said lowly.

'I do not think your mood is of the greatest importance at a time like this. The people of Weathertop are dying waiting for your supplies Lotar. Bree must fall now, or else we have naught to fight for'

'And you think I do not know that! Blast ye Guthwine, ye take me for a simpleton! What is it you wish me to do? Waltz in there now unprepared and let them beat us down? I will not make such a foolish move! It must be planned. We need strength...'

'And that boy you yelled at for recruiting, is that your idea of strengthening?' Guthwine said with little effort. 'He may have had a band that could turn around your force here, and you threatened to out him! I think you need to control your temper and think this through'

Lotar stood up and stared Guthwine in the face 'Leave me man. I will discuss this with ye later. Go talk to the men and see for yourself' and he turned his back on the man and waited for him to leave.
Old 11-03-2003, 02:04 PM   #120
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Esgallhugwen's post

Lily hugged Berilac as he dropped her off at Poppy's front step. 'Bye Beril!' she waved happily popping the jaw breaker back into her mouth.

Poppy opened the front door smiling and greeting Berilac for bringing Little Lily home. He went down the step and turned the corner, just as he did Lily wanted to take Poppy's outreached hand 'now Lily look at your hands, there awefully sticky, have you been playing with that jawbreaker in your mouth' she laughed putting her hands on Lily's shoulders steering her inside the hole to the water basin.

'Here Lily wash up a bit and you can tell me about your day, ok?' Lily nodded busy with the soap bar in front of her. She started out telling her about how scared she was of all the new people especially the Big Folk's children. But with the help of the stone pendant she became brave and made friends with Kari, a Big Folk child, Poppy nodded aknowledging that lily was very brave indeed.

then the story seemed to turn for the worse when a group of the Big boys attacked some of the Hobbit children with pea shooters. Lily explained that she herself was hit in the ear, 'it stung really bad' she motioned to her ear 'but I was given a towle with some ice to make it better; Kari threw her chalk board at 'em hitting one right between the eyes' she giggled.

Poppy listened carefully with concern in her eyes, drying off Lily's little white hands.
Too bad some people behave like that towards ones that 'ave done nothing to them.

'Then we went outside to play and I was scared for a while because those boys might come back, but Kari protected me and we started to play...' she was about to take the jaw breaker out of her mouth again but Poppy stopped her insisting that she wouldn't want to get her nice clean hands all dirty again; Lily continued 'Berilac the Ranger needed help in finding holes in those hedges, and we all helped' she stated triumphantly.

All in all it had been an awefully exciting day, but Poppy was still concerned about those boys, she had heard rumors of them before. Perhaps she would have a word with Andreth tomorrow.

[ November 06, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]