The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-03-2003, 11:29 AM   #1
dunedain_aragorn
Animated Skeleton

dunedain_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Hope for the dunedain

I will simply die if they leave out aragorns northern folk in the return of the king. I mean, the dunedain are so awesome in the book! Does any one else feel this way?
"I must take leave, I have not slept since Dunnharrow, and I am weary."said Aragorn. Merry seized his hand and kissed it."I am frightfully sorry, we have been a nuisance to you since Bree." Aragorn laughed and left them. "Was there ever any like him?" said Pippin,"Except for Gandalf of course. I believe they must be related."
dunedain_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 03:15 PM   #2
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Actualy, I always thought there should have been more about them in the book. There wasnt enough to show how important they are.<P>They should definatly be in the movie.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:50 AM   #3
Nevtarmawen Greenleaf
Animated Skeleton

Nevtarmawen Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I agree with Eleanor, there never was really that much about them in the book, but I hope they don't leave them out of the movie, because some people don't really know who they are!
Old 01-04-2003, 11:13 AM   #4
Maeglin
Wight

Maeglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

They will. They will..<P>My intuition.
Old 01-04-2003, 04:25 PM   #5
Dimaldaeon
Wight

Dimaldaeon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Dimaldaeon Send a message via AIM to Dimaldaeon
Sting

My foresight tells me that the Dunedain will probably be replaced by Haldir's elves from Lorien. Of course since Aragorn still dosen't have Anduril or his banner, To quote "There is still hope"<BR>Of course an elf could go "Here, sorry about forgetting to give you them before the battle, it must have slipped my mind"<BR>Lets hope that my foresight isn't as frighteningly accurate as usual.

You're not drunk if you can still hold onto a blade of grass to stop yourself from falling off the face of the Earth
Dimaldaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 02:28 PM   #6
aragornreborn
Wight

aragornreborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I REALLY hope they're in ROTK. Rangers are the best! If they aren't in ROTK and are replaced by those elves, I really am going to hunt down Peter Jackson. Yeah, and what's the deal with Anduril? He was supposed to have that already. C'mon it's the best sword ever!
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
aragornreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 09:54 AM   #7
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

well let's see, most of haldir's elves died anyway and i don't think they're going to make a "suprise" entrance because they are already there, if you get my meaning. And i think they like that sort of thing, you know "all hope is gone but oh look here are the dúnedain come to save us. yay." so i have a feeling that they'll make an appearence, but one never knows. <BR>(and haldir mentions the dúnedain in S.E.E. FotR)<p>[ January 06, 2003: Message edited by: Lady_Báin ]
Old 01-09-2003, 09:04 PM   #8
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I hope Aragorn's northern friends make their appearance, but after reading some other speculations (I believe at this site?) I'm afraid I forsee Arwen riding up with a host of Rivendell elves.<P>"Hi, honey! I brought you some reinforcements. Oh, and this banner I made. Oh, and I got some guy to put your sword back together for you. And I brought your wooly mittens. . ." <P>-Lily
Old 01-09-2003, 09:12 PM   #9
Carrûn
Wight

Carrûn has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Considering the Halbarad is for some bizzare reason one of my favorite characters in the book (I was a bit miffed when Tolkien mentioned his death only in passing) I seriously hope that the Rangers get some screne time. On one hande - "Oh but it's too confusing for the average viewer to understand how they fit in since they've only been talked about once or twice." However Aragorn still needs his sword and I hope they give him the flag to. I would be horrified if Arwen rides up with a bunch of elves & hands them both to them - for me it would kind of nullify the part about her sending him her hope in the form of the flag. "Ok dear, let's take a little ride on the Paths of the Dead now."<p>[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: Carrûn ]
Old 01-10-2003, 02:42 PM   #10
Silfana

Sting

I just read...<BR> there will be NO dunedain in ROTK. They will be replaced by Lothlorien Elves. Doesn't that bite?! Yes, hunt down Peter Jackson!
Old 01-10-2003, 03:13 PM   #11
Deathwail
Haunting Spirit

Deathwail has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I bet if you toss Peter Jackson off a tall moutain he will die, just like a Balrog
Old 01-14-2003, 02:51 PM   #12
Nostie
Pile O'Bones

Nostie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Nostie
Sting

what?! NO dunedain?! that is SO wrong...
Nostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 03:46 PM   #13
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was worried about that. I think if they were planning to have the Dunedain, they would have played that they are out there. I don't think there is much in Fellowship or Two Towers to suggest that there's a cohesive force out there that Aragorn is leader of.<P>If they are replaced by Lothlorien elves (I assume the ones that survived Helm's Deep) how is the sword and banner to make it to Aragorn? Or is that out too. <P>H.C.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:50 PM   #14
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Arwen is going to bring Aragorn the re-forged sword and a banner (this can be seen on one of the pictures on the RotK spoiler threads). Hmmm, Arwen and Eowyn in the same place at the same time- should be funny.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:13 PM   #15
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maybe JP will give us a good cat fight ala Dynasty and they'll fall in a mud pit. <P>Oops, sorry. Wrong generation.<P>H.C.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:26 PM   #16
goblue

Sting

If they aren't going to be there, better to find out now than to find out when seeing it for the first time.<P>Silfana, any other tidbits from where you read about The Return of the King leaving out the Rangers? I know they not doing the Scouring of the Shire in the movie, but beyond that I hadn't heard much about what they are changing/deleting.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:30 PM   #17
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

My cousin is visiting and has an opinion on this thread:<P>I am with the idea of warrior-elves. I mean honestly they were SO cool when they showed up at Helms Deep, it was one of my favorite parts, but I do not want any <I>Rivendell</I> Elves entering to the sound of harps and turning in synchronization at Gondor. The first time is great but I want to see the race of men come together and fight. I have not read the entire series but my cousin (known as Maikafanawen here) has told me everything she can and I am going to join the band to hunt down this PJ if it's true he's actually not going to put the dunedain in ROTK. Reading the snid-bits of passage on them in the book they sound perfect for the deliverers of Anduril and the banner to Aragorn. They're like presenting his history and past back to him with honor this time! His own people!! Arwen would NOT have the same awesomely moving effect as they would. It's a shame! Arwen wasn't even a main part in the book. I think they should have let her remain some mysterious elf-woman and put back all the characters she's replased [i.e. Glorfingel (sp?) and now the dunedain!] grrArwengrrr