The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-13-2003, 05:05 PM   #1
Pallando B.C
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pallando B.C has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pallando B.C
Sting Music

Seeing my increasing interest in Tolkien, my father showed my one of his old LP's (records). It was entitled <B>Music inspired by The Lord of the Rings</B>- by Bo Hansson.<P>While I was listening to the music (which suited the way I read the book extremly well), I scrolled down the different songs listed on the LP. They were:<P>1- Leaving Shire <BR>2- The Old Forest & Tom Bombadil <BR>3- Fog On The Barrow-Downs <BR>4- The Black Riders & Flight To The Ford <BR>5- At The House Of Elrond & The Ring Goes South <BR>6- A Journey In The Dark <BR>7- Lothlorien <BR>8- Shadowfax <BR>9- The Horns Of Rohan & The Battle Of Pelennor Fields <BR>10- Dreams In The House Of Healing <BR>11- Homeward Bound & The Scouring Of The Shire <BR>12- The Gray Havens<P>After to listening to all the songs (several times), I was convinced that at least a sample of this should have been included in the films- of course, they weren't.<P> <BR><A HREF="http://www.tolkien-archives.com/audio/hansson.shtml" TARGET=_blank>Here</A> is a place were you can sample some of the songs, or maybe even buy the album (i'm not sure if it is available at the <A HREF="http://store.barrowdowns.com/" TARGET=_blank>Barrow Downs Store</A>)<P>When you have sampled some of the music, I want your opinion.<P>-Did you like it (yes/no) Why?<BR>-Do you already have it?<BR>-Do you think Peter Jackson should have included it in the Films<BR>-Do you think it is the sort of music that is well-suited for the Lord of the Rings book and/or Films.<p>[ January 13, 2003: Message edited by: Pallando B.C ]

Support The Aussies!
Pallando B.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 05:35 PM   #2
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've seen that album in stores, but never had enough money to buy it, as it was priced quite high, and then I always forgot about it.<P>Thanks for the site that provided audio links, though! It's definitely really interesting music. Sounds very east-indian, or at least based more so on modes than the major-minor tonality most are used to. <P>But I can't really picture it with Lord of the Rings, mainly because I really thought that Howard Shore's music suited the story so well. So at this point, it's hard to imagine anything else to go with it. <P>Also, I kind of imagine a different type of music to go along with the story and this just doesn't even fit into that type. This music reminds me of ragas/jazz/electronica whereas the music I associate with Lord of the Rings is much more traditional, using flutes, violins, and horns.<P>Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the music itself, but I just can't imagine it being played along to Lord of the Rings. So I guess no, I don't think Peter Jackson should have included it in the films. I think the music played in the films was appropriate and very well done.

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 05:37 PM   #3
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

sorry but I don't really like it that much. The atmosphere is definately wrong in Leaving the Shire' and some of the tracks sound like midi genrated music. sorry!<P>I much prefer the new soundtrack (well FOTR at least) but everyone has their own opinion. Its not that bad, its just the new stuff is better!
Old 01-13-2003, 10:26 PM   #4
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I agree.<BR>It's not one of my favs.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 11:24 PM   #5
Pallando B.C
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pallando B.C has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pallando B.C
Sting

I suppose you have to have an open mind on this. Maybe it is not suited to the Films, and don't get me wrong, Howard Shore did a great job. But apply it more to the book, and you might appreciate it more.

Support The Aussies!
Pallando B.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 01:13 AM   #6
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I do apply it to the books rather than the film. I just see other musical styles as fitting better. I am not saying it is bad, it's just not one of my favorite Tolkien-inspired CDs.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 11:01 AM   #7
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Man, I think I'm having an acid flashback. <P>Seriously though, thanks for the link. Brings me back to my Mike Oldfield days, of which this is very similar.<P>As far is it sounding like MIDI, remember this is back in the early days of synthesized music. Still, I have to agree it's not appropriate for modern movie scoring though I'm having a blast listening to it.<P>Thanks again, I've got Flight to the Ford playing as I type this.<P>H.C.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:36 PM   #8
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A couple of links for other Tolkien-inspired music:<P><A HREF="http://www.tolkienensemble.dk/" TARGET=_blank>web page</A><P><A HREF="http://www.lordoftheringsshop.com/lotrshop/ensemble.asp" TARGET=_blank>web page</A>
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 05:11 PM   #9
Eldawen of Lorien
Pile O'Bones

Eldawen of Lorien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Enya has a Tolkien inspiered song on her Shepard Moons cd. It is called Lothlorien and it really fits the Lothlorien of the books. It is just a piano solo but it is great. The only thing is it is really short.
Eldawen of Lorien is offline   Reply With Quote