The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-14-2003, 05:04 PM   #1
GARY-the-White
Pile O'Bones

GARY-the-White has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GARY-the-White
Eye News of aragorn

Aragorn cant die for a long long time he has the life of 3 humans or so i have read he was granted this by elrond i think

I am GaRYtheWHiTe brother of Gandalf and if by my life or death i can protect you i will

GãR¥théWH¡Të
GARY-the-White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 05:15 PM   #2
aragornreborn
Wight

aragornreborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know that the book said that Aragorn lived for three lifetimes of men or something like that, but I understood that to be accredited to his Numenorean heritage (whose lives were on the longer side). I don't think Elrond has the power to lengthen people's lives.
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
aragornreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 05:38 PM   #3
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

AragornReborn is correct. Because of the Elvish blood in the Numenorean Royal Line, their people had longer lives. Even in general the Dunedain had longer lives, due to the strengthening of their will by Eonwe, chief warrior of the Maia (Angels) at the end of the First Age.<BR>Aragorn is roughly 80 odd at the time of the War of the Ring, cool eh!
Old 01-14-2003, 06:19 PM   #4
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Either way, I doubt any of this will be dealt with in the movie. Likely the last we'll see of Aragorn is him with his new bride.<P>H.C.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:09 PM   #5
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Well, if someone kills Aragorn, he'll die. If he gets sick, he'll die. Otherwise, he'll outlive us all.

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 07:19 PM   #6
GARY-the-White
Pile O'Bones

GARY-the-White has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GARY-the-White
Sting

Hes 80 yrs old in the ar of the ring?? thats cool as hell im glad u guys reinforced my thought cuz i dont think i could bare seeing him die or hearing of him die , does aragorn ever die? i heard he does and arwen dies shortly after i have never read the books

I am GaRYtheWHiTe brother of Gandalf and if by my life or death i can protect you i will

GãR¥théWH¡Të
GARY-the-White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 07:23 PM   #7
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Well, you should <P>Aragorn dies about 140? years after the War of the Ring, and is succeeded by his son Eldarion. Arwen goes to Lothlórien and dies shortly after.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:00 PM   #8
King_Elessar
Haunting Spirit

King_Elessar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When Aragorn meets Frodo he is around 88 (correct me if I'm wrong) and he dies at the age of 190.<P>Bye, Elessar
I see in your eyes, the same fear, that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fails. When we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. This day...we fight!
King_Elessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 12:14 PM   #9
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't know, I would have to check. All you've got to do is look at the "Tale of Years" in the appendix of LoTR.<P>While we're talking about ages, Frodo would be 50 at this stage in the story. I'd say he's looking pretty good for his age, wouldn't you. <P>H.C.<p>[ January 17, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 01-17-2003, 12:35 PM   #10
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The appendices are a bit confusing about the age of Aragorn when he (finally) dies - one place it says he's 190, another he's 210. But that could be checked by using the calenders I guess.<P>& it's true, Aragorns & other of Numenorian heritage owe their long lives to their forefather Elros, brother to Elrond. Since the to brothers were the children of an Elf/human marriage they were given the choice (at the end of the first age) whether to belong to Elf-kind or humankind. The first (& probably last) time such a choise was given I believe. Elrond chose to belong to the Elfs & Elros chose to become human - but he was granted a life much longer than normal people, he became almost 500 years old (as I recall). Btw., it's because of his human heritage that Elrond is sometimes referred to as 'half-elf'.
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 02:28 PM   #11
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

I don't think they will deal with how old he was when he died, in the films. But I do think that they are going to deal with his death. After the entire build up of his "doomed" relationship with Arwen, everyone (who dosen't know the story) will want to find out how it ends.
Old 01-17-2003, 05:16 PM   #12
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Frodo would be 50 at this stage in the story. I'd say he's looking pretty good for his age, wouldn't you. <BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I chalk that up to the fact that he came to possess the One Ring at the age of 33, and so is "preserved" for 17 years. Of course the movie doesn't address that, but c'est la vie.
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote