The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-01-2003, 11:05 PM   #1
Darth Mithrandir
Pile O'Bones

Darth Mithrandir has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Needing help with music

Anyone wanna help with an anthology of music? I want to create a tribute to Middle Earth CD from songs already published.

Anyone know which ones could apply

Already have...

Led Zeppelin - Battle of Evermore
Led Zeppelin - Ramble On
Led Zeppelin - Misty Mountain Hop

Rush - Rivendell
Rush - The Necromancer

what else is there?
Old 10-02-2003, 04:16 AM   #2
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

I'm not sure if I understood...So you 'collect' Middle-Earth related songs composed/performed by different bands?

If that's your point, I know one:
Nightwish: Elvenpath

More information about Nightwish.

And if I remember right, Stratovarius has made one, but it is instrumental...not sure though.

Oh, btw welcome to the Downs, enjoy being dead [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2003, 05:47 AM   #3
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

It's for your own personal, private listening use and you're not going to sell it or circulate or otherwise publish it-- and all that other legal stuff-- right??? Careful of those copyright infringements, etc. I'm no expert about it, but they are nailing people for copyright infringements, more and more.

Having said that, get busy with a web seach engine. On the net you can find mp3s of Donald Swann's versions of The Road Goes Ever On available for download. Formal drawing-room style presentation, might not be quite to your taste.

Also, there are a few clips of the old Rankin-Bass music-- again, may or may not be to your taste. I love them.

What to look for otherwise?

For pure Tolkien, *if* you like semi-classical presentations of Tolkien's songs, then you probably want to buy these CDs:

Tolkien Ensemble:
An Evening in Rivendell
A Night in Rivendell
At Dawn In Rivendell (this one's easily available at any decent CD store, check this out efore hunting for the others which are very hard to find)

Broceliande: The Starlit Jewel (VERY difficult to find, but keep an eye out...)

If what you are looking for is rock, metal, rap, techno, synth, etc, that's not my forte. However, lots of other people have searched out the same thing you are searching out. There is something out there (I forget where) called The Tolkien Music List. Type that into google, and be amazed! There are single cuts everywhere.

And lastly, go to the main Barrow-Downs' page, then to LINKS, and scroll down to "Music."
Old 10-02-2003, 11:38 AM   #4
Darth Mithrandir
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Actually the idea came from working on a research paper, but its nice to know that there are those who can appreciate music as well.

I'll do some more looking, but so far I've only been able to come up with about four or five musicians, most of them heavy metal.

Wonder what this says about fans of Middle Earth?
Old 10-02-2003, 12:50 PM   #5
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Nearly every song by Blind Guardian. Their stuff is mostly Silm related, but still...

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~

[ October 02, 2003: Message edited by: Sapphire_Flame ]
Old 10-02-2003, 08:36 PM   #6
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Very good idea... Hmmm...

It really depends... Do you want just songs with lyrics or is classical music okay? I know there are a lot of classical songs that were written to go to different parts of the books.

As for songs with lyrics, most of the songs I know are already posted. Loreena McKennit has a song called "Lord of the Rings- Gandalf" or something of the sort. I downloaded it, so I'm not sure if that really is the title... I'm not even sure if it's by her... [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

You can also download clips of the BBC radio production. They put tunes to the songs in the books. Veeeery fun to sing to... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] My Precious has some clips you can download. just go to the audio section. I can't link directly there.

There's a really creepily weird song called "Forge of Sauron" which I believe is by Mostly Autumn... it's really cool if you go for that kind of stuff [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] It's all...weird...like...

Oh! How could I forget?! The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins! By Leonord Nimoy! Ever heard it? It's definatly a classic. You can that, too at My Precious.

Edit: Woops... The "Forge of Sauron" song I was talking about is by Mostly Autumn. My bad [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I'm listening to it now...

[ October 05, 2003: Message edited by: Amarantha_Daisy ]
Old 10-02-2003, 09:13 PM   #7
Darth Mithrandir
Pile O'Bones

Thumbs up

Kewl. You guys are da bomb!

This paper may turn out to be quite interesting, regarding that class.

btw - its supposed to be representative of 'The Silmarillion' but don't tell anyone.

And Nimoy's 'Bilbo' is a hoot. If anyone gets the chance to watch it, do so. But please, go to the bathroom first because its funny (don't want any accidents). [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2003, 03:57 PM   #8
Beth the Elf
Pile O'Bones

Beth the Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beth the Elf
Sting

There's a bunch of songs from the Tolkien Ensamble...i have Galadriel's Song of Eldamar
Beth the Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 03:03 PM   #9
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Eye

Does anyone know some good sites you can download music off of? I used to have WinMX for all my downloading needs, but I had to get rid of it... Are there any good sites out there? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2003, 04:49 PM   #10
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White-Hand

Be sure to keep discussions here to legal downloading and listening of music.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:10 PM   #11
Darth Mithrandir
Pile O'Bones

Sting

I'll second that wight. Actually, I'd really prefer not to have any download sites mentioned at all.

Still looking for terms regarding a paper for Good ole English literature. There's always room for another thread, I think in case anyone is looking to discuss download linkage. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2003, 08:52 PM   #12
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

On Enya's Shepard's Moon CD, track nine is called 'Lothlorien'. It is all instrumental.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:25 PM   #13
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Silmaril

Sorry, Mr. Barrow-Wight! *bows* I deleted WinMX precicley because of all the legal issues, but the whole music downloading thing is kinda fuzzy... I'm not sure what is legal and what isn't [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] I guess it shouldn't really be discussed, just in case.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:00 PM   #14
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

'Nickel Creek' did an instrumental song called 'House of Tom Bombadil' - the style is blue-grass, not my usual hunting grounds, but so well done that it's a favorite of mine.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:24 PM   #15
Fëa Quendeva

Pipe

look at this link, It`s an autor that put music to some songs in the lord of the ring and the hobbit, an he also had the approve of tolkien himself. Enjoy it.
http://www.geocities.com/redbookofwestmarch/swann.htm
Old 04-15-2006, 08:23 PM   #16
Rainmaker

As someone who listens to quite a bit of metal, I can tell you there are a bunch of bands that are dedicated wholly to Tolkien... or at least mostly... such as Blind Guardian... here are a few (I haven't checked all of them out - some are hard to come by... but here's a list I once had):

Akallabêth
Amon Din
Avathar
Battlelore
Black Jade
Cross Borns
Druad
Druadan Forest
Fashoht Stâz
Flying Nazgul
Gorthaur
Grimorc
Gurthang
Lugburz
Minas Morgul
Oberon
Ringwraith
Rivendell
Summoning
The Ring
Trollrath
Valar
Witchking
Zabiis

Other bands do mention Tolkien occasionally... such as the band Galadriel... GWAR even makes a Tolkien reference in the song Whargoul, and 3 Inches of Blood has the song Kill the Orcs (it is also rumoured that their latest album has many Tolkien references, although they are subtle and could potentially fit into various other fantasies) - not sure if you're looking for music for listening purposes or making a list of various bands/songs... since you mentioned a research paper. If you're not too fond of the sound of death metal, a lot of these bands might not be the most pleasurable listening experience...
Old 04-15-2006, 08:37 PM   #17
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
There's a group called "Mostly Autumn" that made an album of songs based on The Lord of the Rings.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:01 AM   #18
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
I have heard of Mostly Autumn, but did not know they had Tolkien inspired stuff! I'll have to give them a listen!

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 04-17-2006 at 10:38 AM. Reason: lack of proof (reading).
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:31 AM   #19
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
I can also recommend Summoning if you like Metal, especially their albums "Dol Guldur" and "Minas Morgul"

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 10:25 AM   #20
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Thought first to start a new topic where anyone can tell about different Tolkien-based music. Well, this one is an old topic and it seems that there were even older topics like this somewhere...

Being a fan of Tolkien and Russian music here are two Russian power metal bands with Tolkien themes.

Epidemia
More Epidemia for free, legally
Epidemia - Feanor (straight link)

Arda
Few Arda songs