The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-13-2003, 10:30 PM   #1
Sauron the deciever
Animated Skeleton

Sauron the deciever has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Sauron the deciever
Sting Sauron

Hello all<BR>Just a small question. What kind of creature is Sauron? Orc? Man? Elf? Has he always looked the same, even when he called himself Annatar?<BR>Thanks
Sauron the deciever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 10:33 PM   #2
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Sting

he is a maiar<BR>sevantas of the valar sprits of great power but not as great as the valar
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 10:34 PM   #3
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

He used to serve Melkor, but took over Melkor's evil doings after his fall. You can learn a lot more about them by reading <I>The Silmarillion</I>. There is a lot of good stuff about Sauron in there. <BR>Oh, about his looks. He used to go around in the form of a man... that is how he deceived the men of Numenor.<P>[ January 13, 2003: Message edited by: Tigerlily Gamgee ]<p>[ January 13, 2003: Message edited by: Tigerlily Gamgee ]
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 03:01 AM   #4
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Sting

Heres a <A HREF="http://http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001088" TARGET=_blank>thread</A> that might help you with your first question.<BR>On the second question, the name Annatar (Lord of Gifts) was his title that he used in order to seduce the elves of Eregion. But Sauron did not stay in one form. As you may be aware, all of the Ainur had the ability to shift forms. In the First Age, Sauron's form was that of a dark sorcerer who spent his time hosting creatures; especially werewolves. From then on Sauron changed into many forms, but he shifted forms many times in the duel with Huan (the Hound of Valinor). In <I>The Silmarillion</I> It is stated in the chapter Of Beren and Luthien. It states these forms that Sauron undertook. His forms were:<BR>*Wolf Sauron- Wolf shape Sauron chose in order to battle Huan on Tol-in-Gaurhoth.<BR>*Serpant Sauron - During this very same battle he changed forms to that of a serpant, in order to have an easier esape.<BR>*Vampire Sauron- After the battle, Sauron took upon this hideous form and fled the scene.<BR>I encourage you to read the book <BR><I>The Silmarillion</I>. It answers many questions you may have had after you read <I>Lord of the Rings</I>. The book contains these main elements and many more little things:<P>*Ainulindalë- The tale of the Music of the Ainur and the creation of Arda.<BR>*Valaquenta- The tale of the Valar, in which the nature of each of the Powers is described.<BR>*Quenta Silmarillion- The longest tale, which gives an account of the history of Arda from its beginnings until the end of the First Age.<BR>*Akallabęth- the tale of the Second Age, which concentrates on the history of Númenor until its Downfall.<BR>*Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age- Which spans the late Second Age and the Third, telling of the forging of the Rings of Power and their history up to the War of the Ring.<P>Most good bookstores have this book on their shelves. Be sure to read it, its a must <p>[ January 14, 2003: Message edited by: Iargwath ]

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote