The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-16-2003, 05:48 PM   #1
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Sting The erudite perspective on The Two Towers

Here is an interesting review by Dr. Harvey O'Brien, who teaches Film Studies at University College Dublin and on New York University's Tisch School of the Arts Dublin Programme. <P><A HREF="http://indigo.ie/~obrienh/lotr2.htm" TARGET=_blank>A Professor who teaches film has this to say about TTT.</A><P>I understand what he has to say about Wormtongue, though it caught me off-guard as I expected him to bring up Faramir. Very interesting indeed.<P>Let's wait for the Return of the King.
Old 01-16-2003, 05:53 PM   #2
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Thanks, thats very intersting!
Old 01-16-2003, 06:00 PM   #3
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

How was Grima changed? I mean, I don't think he was less important in the movie than in the books, but then again, it's been a while. I like his scrutiny of the good and the bad, though. He doesn't just trash it like a lot of the critics do, and he actually has reasons for critisisms. (does this guy have something against Star Wars, though? I'm going to have to have a little chat with him... )
Old 01-16-2003, 06:53 PM   #4
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Novel Grima was the one who held sway over Theoden due to his "forked tongue" and conniving ways. But in the movie Theoden was possessed by Saruman directly. That's a pretty big change, and it short-changes Grima.
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 07:09 PM   #5
Fingo
Haunting Spirit

Fingo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Fingo
Sting

That's awesome and very interesting, thanks for sharing.
Old 01-17-2003, 06:34 AM   #6
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

<B>Schmerudite</B><P>I don't care what degree the reviewer has, or that he supposedly teaches film studies at University level - I've seen much more informative and well-thought out posts on the movie here on the Downs.<P>The only gem of information he reveals is the nature of the change in Wormtongue's character, which I'm sure many others did pick up on. It's hardly a very revealing review, and for some reason degenerates into Star Wars bashing near the end. Is this a common style of review by a professional? It's not one that I've really encountered before. Would the reviewers for The Ten Commandments say "yeah, this film kicked Ben Hur's butt"?
Old 01-17-2003, 06:52 AM   #7
VercingetoriX

Sting

I would say that I completely agree with what was said in the review and personally, TTT didnt live up to what I expected after fellowship. I too was intrigued that he gave little mention to Faramir, and agree that the plot changes damaged the movie. But I guess thats the best they could do. Better than no movie.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:06 AM   #8
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That's funny as I kinda liked Wormtongue better in the movie (HC ducks the rotten fruit). I always found Wormtongue to much of a worthless toadie in the book. Kind of a cross between Igor and all those characters Peter Lorie used to play. I felt he was stronger in the movie.<P>Basically, I agree with this review though. It's a good movie and will stand up to repeated viewing and sure as hell beats Star Wars ( HC ducks more fruit).<P>H.C.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:19 AM   #9
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

*goes for a new approach and throws vegetables at HC* What is wrong with Star Wars? I know that LotR is tons better, but what does everyone have against Sith Lords and little green aliens waving lightsabers around?
Old 01-17-2003, 11:04 AM   #10
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

I think that the reviewer was suggesting that <I>Star Wars</I> is becoming little more than a series of toy adverts. A lot of people think that but I'm waiting to see what Episode III looks like before making a decision.<P>I quite liked a lot of what the reviewer had to say. The changes to Gríma's rôle not only lessen him, but remove from the narrative a rather interesting thought about premature senility. Frodo and Sam's being dragged to Osgiliath was a meaningless diversion and did look a lot like padding to me. One might also say that the book has a well-conceived cliffhanger ending on which the film utterly failed to capitalise, presumably so that Saruman could be dealt with in the final film the way Hollywood always does things (I mean what sort of a weirdo would get rid of a minor antagonist in the second of a three-part story when they could dispose of him in the finale?). The plot does seem rushed, which calls into question the wisdom of adding completely new material and, yes, the computer-generated Gollum knocks the socks off Jar-Jar Binks, both in terms of animation and incorporation into the footage.<P>Truth to tell, I'm feeling quite well-disposed towards this reviewer in that he at least reviews the film as a film adaptation, not as though it were an original work. That's a major point in his favour, judging by some of the reviews that have been quoted around the forum.<p>[ January 17, 2003: Message edited by: Squatter of Amon Rudh ]
Old 01-17-2003, 11:17 AM   #11
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I know that LotR is tons better, but what does everyone have against Sith Lords and little green aliens waving lightsabers around? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I've got nothing against Star Wars, I'm just having a little fun. <P>Personally, I've grown a little bored of it, but you have to take into account that I was 13 years old when the original Star Wars came out (I'll let you do the math). I thought it was the most amazing thing I've ever seen and was in the middle of that frenzy. So as the new ones are coming out, it's kind of a been-there-done-that sort of thing. I know Lucas has expanded the universe he's created, but he hasn't expanded the story telling and I find the new characters very flat. This isn't a knock on him, it's what he's trying to accomplish. He's said himself that he is trying to recreate the kind of fun he had going to the old "Flash Gordon" type serials. He deliberately tries to make it light.<P>My kids enjoy the new Star Wars movies, especially my six year old, but I'll tell ya, I'm pleased as punch that they are far more into LoTR now. The oldest is reading The Hobbit and I'm reading the youngest the same at bed time.<P>Nothing against Star Wars, it just isn't my cup of tea anymore.<P>H.C.<p>[ January 17, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]