The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-22-2001, 08:13 PM   #1
John of the Race of Men

Sting Problems with the movie...

New to the board here, hi to everyone <P>I saw the movie the other day and I really liked it. I had a hard time seperating it from the books but overall I liked it.<P>I had a few nits to pick and thought Id post em here.<P>At the beginning of the movie when the hobbits are hiding from a Black Rider the Rider is silhoutted against the sky. The rider is backlit by what you can tell is a very bright electric light. Why didnt PJ use the moon or even a fire? Very fiction breaking for me. Did anyone else even notice?<P>I liked the Balrog in the movie but its not how I pictured it in the books. A balrog is man shaped. I always imagined the balrog as a man shaped darkness with smoke and flames towering above and around it forming the "wings" as described in the book.<P>I kept seeing Elrond as Agent Smith and I though this was why I didnt like him in the movie. But from reading a few posts today I realized that it was because Elrond isnt as nice in the movie as he is in the books. <P>More later I hope
Old 12-22-2001, 08:52 PM   #2
EFPLanMan

Sting

And also in the Book tolkien says the Balrog had wings the movie one did not seem to have em
Old 12-22-2001, 10:32 PM   #3
The Prince of Dol Amroth

Shield

I saw Balrog wings!
Old 12-22-2001, 11:18 PM   #4
zippo

Pipe

Yes The Balrog had wings they were just all Smokey!
Old 12-23-2001, 12:04 AM   #5
Maltagaerion
Haunting Spirit

Maltagaerion has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Agreed, the Balrog had smoke or smoke covered wings in the film.
Old 12-23-2001, 12:09 AM   #6
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Sting

Actually, the movie's Balrog wings were depicted much how I would have done it had it been my interpretation on screen: wings of shadow that may or may not be physical, functional wings. It satisfies both camps, since one believes that it had real wings (and they can see them on film), and the other believes that the wings that it had were wings of shadow (which are also on film). Bravo Jackson! <P>Balrog was still a little huge for me though.
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 12:33 PM   #7
John of the Race of Men

Sting

Also I liked the scene where Galadriel became the "Dark Queen" but in the book didnt she kinda laugh about it? Kinda of like she was teasing Frodo? I thought the movie made it too serious.<p>[ December 23, 2001: Message edited by: John of the Race of Men ]
Old 12-23-2001, 01:20 PM   #8
RyAN the Pure Heart
Pile O'Bones

RyAN the Pure Heart has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by John of the Race of Men:<BR><STRONG><BR>I liked the Balrog in the movie but its not how I pictured it in the books. A balrog is man shaped. I always imagined the balrog as a man shaped darkness with smoke and flames towering above and around it forming the "wings" as described in the book.<P>I kept seeing Elrond as Agent Smith and I though this was why I didnt like him in the movie. But from reading a few posts today I realized that it was because Elrond isnt as nice in the movie as he is in the books. <P></STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The Balrog had wings, but <I>as in the books</I> they were of darkness. you only got a good look in one quick snap<P>TOU READ MY MIND ON THE AGENT SMITH THING. does anyone else think Dr. Grant from Jurasic Park would've been great for elrond?<P>RyAN
Old 12-23-2001, 09:24 PM   #9
Dáin Ironfoot
Animated Skeleton

Dáin Ironfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

They really left alot out though, but i guess they had to for time
Old 12-24-2001, 09:39 AM   #10
Firithfalwen

Tolkien

When you look at it though, the movie was already 3 hours...that's somewhat long for a movie as it is. Also I think that especially Legolas Greenleaf was portrayed very well. I am working on re-reading the books as I have not read them in 9 years (I read them in 4th Grade).<BR>There was not much of the movie that I didn't understand after not reading the books for so long, which I thought was a very good start. I am also working on some thing in my Open Diary...fanpages for characters (Like Legolas).<BR>Lessee here now back to the movie. I pictured the Nazghul silhouetted against moonlit mist. Sometimes nights can get foggy and if it was a moonlit night it may make the mist look lit like that.<P><A HREF="http://noodle.fallingover.com" TARGET=_blank>Crystal Rainbow Dreams</A>
Old 12-24-2001, 03:49 PM   #11
Heretic

Sting

Lothlorien was completly botched...<BR>But I loved Legolas, and they way the hobbits never ran away, they even jumped on that troll.
Old 12-24-2001, 11:35 PM   #12
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by John of the Race of Men:<BR><STRONG>Also I liked the scene where Galadriel became the "Dark Queen" but in the book didnt she kinda laugh about it? Kinda of like she was teasing Frodo? I thought the movie made it too serious.<P>[ December 23, 2001: Message edited by: John of the Race of Men ]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> You know, it may have been different from the book, but I thought the scene was one of the most powerful in the entire film. It really made Galadriel all the more fascinating to me. And when I saw it for the first time, she made my blood chill for a few uncomfortable seconds. It may have been really serious, but it certainly gave her an edge.<BR>Love,<BR>Lush
Old 12-24-2001, 11:40 PM   #13
Lush
Fair and Cold

Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Firithfalwen of Rivendell:<BR><STRONG>When you look at it though, the movie was already 3 hours...that's somewhat long for a movie as it is. Also I think that especially Legolas Greenleaf was portrayed very well. I am working on re-reading the books as I have not read them in 9 years (I read them in 4th Grade).<BR>There was not much of the movie that I didn't understand after not reading the books for so long, which I thought was a very good start. I am also working on some thing in my Open Diary...fanpages for characters (Like Legolas).<P><A HREF="http://noodle.fallingover.com" TARGET=_blank>Crystal Rainbow Dreams</A></STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> Legolas...What can I say? Aii Chee Waaa Waaa! He was very beautiful, very graceful, but not without power. Definitely my favorite character in the movie. All my friends are making fun of me concerning the "pretty-boy with the ears," but what do I care? <BR>Love,<BR>Lush
Old 12-26-2001, 10:59 AM   #14
cyclops

Pipe

Forget the Balrog (i think he was excellent for a minor character) what about those Orcs that can all of a sudden climb down walls and columns like fricken spiders. Like they weren't scary enough!?
Old 12-26-2001, 02:06 PM   #15
Goldenwood

Sting

Speaking of Legolas:I told my friend(a fan of Johnny Depp-yech-)that she would fall in love with Legolas and at first she thought he was only so so but then she fell head over heels in love. He is a good lookin guy and no mistake. Mmmmm good.
Old 12-26-2001, 02:46 PM   #16
Zippo
Animated Skeleton

Zippo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Zippo
Pipe

The orcs Were scary?
Old 12-26-2001, 04:14 PM   #17
purist

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by John of the Race of Men:<BR><STRONG>New to the board here, hi to everyone <P>I saw the movie the other day and I really liked it. I had a hard time seperating it from the books but overall I liked it.<P>I had a few nits to pick and thought Id post em here.<P>At the beginning of the movie when the hobbits are hiding from a Black Rider the Rider is silhoutted against the sky. The rider is backlit by what you can tell is a very bright electric light. Why didnt PJ use the moon or even a fire? Very fiction breaking for me. Did anyone else even notice?<P>I liked the Balrog in the movie but its not how I pictured it in the books. A balrog is man shaped. I always imagined the balrog as a man shaped darkness with smoke and flames towering above and around it forming the "wings" as described in the book.<P>I kept seeing Elrond as Agent Smith and I though this was why I didnt like him in the movie. But from reading a few posts today I realized that it was because Elrond isnt as nice in the movie as he is in the books. <P>More later I hope </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'm also new, and first of all I agree with the lights in the movie. Very artificial (also on Weathertop, Lorien). Elrond was indeed a negative character in the movie, and, overall, I didn't like the movie.
Old 12-26-2001, 04:52 PM   #18
Lush
Fair and Cold

Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by purist:<BR><STRONG><P>I'm also new, and first of all I agree with the lights in the movie. Very artificial (also on Weathertop, Lorien). Elrond was indeed a negative character in the movie, and, overall, I didn't like the movie.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, gee, that...sucks. I'm sorry. Too bad you were disappointed. <BR>-Lush
Old 12-28-2001, 03:43 PM   #19
Tirinor
Haunting Spirit

Tirinor has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I thought the scene with Galadriel could have been much more powerful and touching if Peter Jackson would have let her act. The same goes for Bilbo when he trys to get the ring from Frodo. These people are called actors for a reason. Trying to convey the sentiment with computers detracts from the humanity of the story, and cheapens the movie. Boromir was the shining star of the movie, and his emotions were never embelished by computers. Galadriel and Bilbo should have received similar praise, but the instead the comments are addressed to the special effects
Old 12-28-2001, 04:21 PM   #20
Ulmo
Haunting Spirit

Ulmo has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I like the movie a lot, but here are the problems I have with it:<P>In the book, fellow Hobbits Pippin and Merry are fun-loving but deeply committed friends of Frodo’s, who secretly plan to join his flight into danger, while in the film they’re just dim-witted, pranksters, who fall in by mistake. <P>Sam, who in the book feels a stirring duty to see the quest through, whines here to go home. <P>Elrond the half-elf is depicted as a mortal-disdaining snob, concerned for his own hide, instead of the good of all, that the ring depart his land. Not to mention the fact that Elrond is one of the greatest Elves in the history of Middle-earth. An elf who was born in the First Age, keeper of the Great Ring, Vilya, leading member of the White Council, and at the time of The Council of Elrond, he was over 6,500 years old! A character of this renown needs to be treated with more respect (and more screen time!). <P>The elf queen Galadriel becomes a witchy cartoon. And we never get to see the gifts she gives every member of the Fellowship, only Frodo's was shown. And I wish they hadn't changed the Mirror of Galadriel sceen. <P>Gandalf shies from journeying into the dwarf mines of Moria, while in the book he’s the one who advances that idea, despite the peril it presents to him. <P>The onscreen Aragorn is badly in need of a couch on which to pour out his phobia about claiming his kingship because his ancient forebear had proved unworthy. In the book, rather, he is anxious to claim his kingship, and is torn between his desire to lead his land and his loyalty to Frodo and his quest. <P>I like the expanded role of Arwen, but dammit, why did you have to get rid of Glorfindel! He fought in the Battle of Fornost! <P>I wish they would have shown Gollum following the fellowship on the Anduin River<P>Still, one heck of a good movie! <p>[ December 28, 2001: Message edited by: Ulmo ]
Lord of the seas and one of the greatest of the Valar; in the dark days of the First Age, he kept watch on Elves and Men while the others of his order remained in Valinor. He is famed for bringing Tuor to Gondolin, and so ultimately bringing about the downfall of Morgoth in the War of Wrath.
Ulmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 07:19 PM   #21
Beryl

Sting

[QUOTE]Originally posted by John of the Race of Men:<BR>[QB]New to the board here, hi to everyone <P>I saw the movie the other day and I really liked it. I had a hard time seperating it from the books but overall I liked it.<P>I had a few nits to pick and thought Id post em here.<P>At the beginning of the movie when the hobbits are hiding from a Black Rider the Rider is silhoutted against the sky. The rider is backlit by what you can tell is a very bright electric light. Why didnt PJ use the moon or even a fire? Very fiction breaking for me. Did anyone else even notice?<P>I liked the Balrog in the movie but its not how I pictured it in the books. A balrog is man shaped. I always imagined the balrog as a man shaped darkness with smoke and flames towering above and around it forming the "wings" as described in the book.<BR>I kept seeing Elrond as Agent Smith and I though this was why I didnt like him in the movie. But from reading a few posts today I realized that it was because Elrond isnt as nice in the movie as he is in the books. <P>/QUOTE]<BR>No, not as "nice" nor as wise or as ageless(agent smith looked in dire need of rogaine)a complete ignorance of what Elrond should be. For shame, PJ for shame.
Old 12-29-2001, 01:14 AM   #22
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That crack about the race of Men was unexpected, but a lot could not be explained in the movie that was in the books, and it referred mostly to Isildur. Mr Weaving in the movie was very handsome, and very good in the part. Did you expect sunglasses? Legolas looked more in need of rogaine than Elrond did. Yet Legolas still looked good. <p>[ December 29, 2001: Message edited by: Elrian ]
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 01:19 AM   #23
Lush
Fair and Cold

Eye

Legolas looked...great. I especially liked the way he moved. Like a cat.
Old 12-29-2001, 03:38 AM   #24
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Haldir looked ....great!:P <P>Gimli was done very well, as was Boromir. Weren't the trees of Lothlorien supposed to be golden or was that just in the spring? Guess they couldn't CGI trees?????
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 11:51 PM   #25
Snowflake
Pile O'Bones

Snowflake has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Snowflake
Silmaril

I agree that Legolas was portrayed very well. I have read quite a few books with elves in them, and I have a set way of how certain elves should look and act, and I wasn't dissapointed.
Old 01-21-2002, 06:03 AM   #26
lobelia

The Eye

1. Why was the Eye of Sauron a vertical slit of fire? In the book, it is a lidless eye that roves ceaselessy across Middle-Earth, searching and searching. The movie eye was not scary at all; in the book, the Eye is the most terrifying thing of all.<P>2. Where (in Lord of the Rings or Tolkien's other writings) are the hobbits described as having pointy ears and as having big hairy feet (as opposed to normal-sized hairy feet)?<P>3. Why was Isengard pronounced 'Eyezengard' in the film? Tolkien's guide to pronunciation (Appendix, LoftR) seems to suggest it should be pronounced 'Issengard'.<P>4. And, yes, I agree, Sam in the book goes with Frodo out of loyalty and of his own free will. The film seems to imply that he goes because Gandalf told him to.<P>5. Yes, I also thought Lothlorien was sundappled and golden.<P>Apart from that: wonderful! Changes to plot, deletion of Tom Bombadil, etc.: makes it more movie-friendly. Sticking too slavishly to a book can destroy the independent life of a film.<p>[ January 23, 2002: Message edited by: lobelia ]
Old 01-25-2002, 08:53 AM   #27
lomion
Animated Skeleton

lomion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

How about in Moria where the orcs surround the fellowship? Why did'nt they just chuck a dozen spears THEN run away? I hated the way orcs crawled down the pillars. AIEEE!! A PLOT CHANGE!!!
lomion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 09:59 AM   #28
Rosie Posie Burrows
Pile O'Bones

Rosie Posie Burrows has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked the Balrog. What I didn't like was when they're just standing there, clearly threatened by this giant thing coming towards them , Gandalf wastes time telling them in a long-winded way that the thing could easily kill them all, and then just said "RUN!"<BR>Why didn't he just get on with it? It was ridiculous! <BR>Overall, though, I loved the movie, particularly the first half with all the black riders and everything, and the bit with Frodo and Sam at the end. I've seen it three times now. I've never gone to see a movie three times at the cinema before. That's how much I like it. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by obloquy:<BR><STRONG>Actually, the movie's Balrog wings were depicted much how I would have done it had it been my interpretation on screen: wings of shadow that may or may not be physical, functional wings. It satisfies both camps, since one believes that it had real wings (and they can see them on film), and the other believes that the wings that it had were wings of shadow (which are also on film). Bravo Jackson! <P>Balrog was still a little huge for me though. </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
there is a different green…"
Rosie Posie Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 10:04 AM   #29
Rosie Posie Burrows
Pile O'Bones

Rosie Posie Burrows has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

[<BR>I thought the eye was pretty damn scary myself! If they'd made it actually look like a real eyeball, it would have been gross, and Dr Who-ish, not scary at all. They've just made it a bit more fiery that's all. I liked that.<P>QUOTE]Originally posted by lobelia:<BR><STRONG>1. Why was the Eye of Sauron a vertical slit of fire? In the book, it is a lidless eye that roves ceaselessy across Middle-Earth, searching and searching. The movie eye was not scary at all; in the book, the Eye is the most terrifying thing of all.<P>2. Where (in Lord of the Rings or Tolkien's other writings) are the hobbits described as having pointy ears and as having big hairy feet (as opposed to normal-sized hairy feet)?<P>3. Why was Isengard pronounced 'Eyezengard' in the film? Tolkien's guide to pronunciation (Appendix, LoftR) seems to suggest it should be pronounced 'Issengard'.<P>4. And, yes, I agree, Sam in the book goes with Frodo out of loyalty and of his own free will. The film seems to imply that he goes because Gandalf told him to.<P>5. Yes, I also thought Lothlorien was sundappled and golden.<P>Apart from that: wonderful! Changes to plot, deletion of Tom Bombadil, etc.: makes it more movie-friendly. Sticking too slavishly to a book can destroy the independent life of a film.<P>[ January 23, 2002: Message edited by: lobelia ]</STRONG>[/QUOTE]
there is a different green…"
Rosie Posie Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 10:15 AM   #30
Elvenglass
Haunting Spirit

Elvenglass has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elvenglass
Silmaril

Well I loved the movie, but I agree that I kept seeing Hugo Weaving as Agent Smith...Overall I thought the movie was very good, and all the actors were excellent. But PJ should have kept the scene where Galadriel gives everyone their gifts.
Old 01-26-2002, 03:35 PM   #31
Naweela

Silmaril

Overall I loved the film, my favourit bits were;<BR>1.Bagend, it was perfect inside, I think hobbit inspired architecture might be the next big thing!<P>2.The ford of Rivendell scene... fantastic, especially liked the spooky, chanty, wiered harmonic thing which was going on when Arwen did the spell. i thought the expanded role for her was brill<P>3.The fireworks at the long expected party, and Merry and Pippins' comic role!<P>3. The ringwraiths were suitably scary.<P>4.Lothlorien I thought was done brilliantly, I think they could have found a nicer looking bit of woodland to film the scene where they enter the woods, bigger trees would have helped! But the rest was great, galadriel was done brilliantly, loved the glowing thing and when she speaks directly into Frodo's mind, but the eye thing was a bit fraky! When she shows how she would be if she took the ring they got it perfectly, "all shall love me and despair". Oh and that harmonic thing again, great! Music for Lothlorien just right, melancholy and those sinking chords and zithers very non mortal!<P>5.The elves in general which alot of people seem to have a problem with did suprise me a little, we all have preconceptions of what different races should look like, and you know I've realised I'd imagined them all kinda the same in appearance. They made them very individual though and although elves are meant to be beatiful the fact none of them was convrntionally beautiful ( except Arwen) in a human way they were all very ethereal and otherworldly looking, bittersweet sums them up nicely. I agree Celeborn did sound stoned but remember he was not using his first language, maybe that was an elvish accent we all heard.<P>6.The scene where they all come out of Moria, after G's accident, stunningly done and v haunting music.<P>7.Boromir's death scene.... I cried!<P> The bad Points;<P>1. We have a kids TV programme in the UK called TeleTubbies, The Shire resembled very closely Tele Tubby land. Where were those huge hills/ small mountains meant to be? The Shire should have been filmed in the UK. J R Tolkein based it on the English country side, there should have been more hedges and trees, it just looked a little too new, like it had just been planted!<P>2.I am not New Zealandist and I agree finding one country to film LOTR in is no easy task especially with the range of geography required but I'd always imagined a more Nothern Hemisphere location for Middle Earth. it frankly looked like New Zealand except places like Rivendell which were computer animated.<P>3.Bree, it was grim! I'd always imagined a slightly jollier place.<P>4. Galadriel giving out the presents. They should have left that in, will they miss out the part of the book where he "heals" the Shire with Galadriel's pressie??? I hope not, its one of the most touching parts of the book for me.<P>5. The pronounciations, all those roling R's and why does Aragorn have a wiered pseudo Irish accent???? <P>6.I will stop now! Please note I do realise we all have our own pre conceptions of LOTR's and these are only my opinions. Overall I loved the film!