The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
Marlowe221
Pile O'Bones

Marlowe221 has just left Hobbiton.
Introduction

Hello all!

My name is Marlowe, attorney by trade, from the Southeastern United States.

I stumbled across this wonderful forum a few months ago and have passed many a hour reading the Chapter-by-chapter discussions.

Finally, I decided I couldn't help myself and decided to join in. Please forgive me if I grave-dig some of the Chapter-by-chapter threads - they are too interesting to let them sit! Look for my posts especially in the threads on the first few chapters of The Fellowship of the Ring (they are my favorite).

My LoTR history: I read The Hobbit and the Trilogy for the first time at age 9 (I'm 28 now). Since then I have re-read them on average about once per year, along with sporadic chapters or passages in between full runs. I have only read The Sil twice and I must humbly confess to not having read Children of Hurin or Unfinished Tales at all.

I also play Lord of the Rings Online (not sure what the feeling on that is here so please don't hold it against me).

Edit: /forehead slap/ My bad... didn't see the sticky for intros...

Last edited by Marlowe221; 12-15-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Marlowe221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Welcome to the Downs, Marlowe221 (not related to Philip or Christopher by any chance, I presume?) ! Help yourself to a cup of distilled fog and some mouldy cakes and enjoy being dead!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe221 View Post
Please forgive me if I grave-dig some of the Chapter-by-chapter threads - they are too interesting to let them sit!
Do so, by all means! There's many a nugget to be unearthed there. (Ah, I see you already have.)
Old 12-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #3
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

Welcome to the Downs Marlowe,

those old Chapter by Chapter threads need waking up, they've slumbered far too long!

Cheers,

Rumil
Old 12-15-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Hi, Marlowe! Welcome to the Downs - it's not a problem that you started this thread. I can easily integrate it into the sticky one for newcomers. I'll leave it as is for a day or so, then merge it. Look for further greetings there.

As to the Chapter-by-Chapter threads, they've been left open with the intention that new members can join in the discussions there. I look forward to reading your contributions!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Welcome Marlowe. Enjoy our boards! By the way, I am also an attorney in the Southeast US.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Hi Marlowe! I also read LOTR for the first time when I was nine. And I also reread it aproximately once a year ever since! I haven't read the Unfinished Tales either, and neither did a lot of Downers, so don't worry about that!
Old 12-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Welcome Marlowe. Don't worry about not having read everything. Don't worry about not having read everything - I haven't read all of the History of ME and virtually nothing not ME related by Tolkien.

I heartily reccomend Unfinished Tales though even though it is fragmentary. Much concerns LOTR rather than the Silmarillion and if you want to know more about Wizargs, Palantiri, the battles of the Fords of Isen and Numenore you are i n for a treat.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote