The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-17-2008, 09:55 PM   #41
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dūm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Originally posted by Gwathagor
Quote:
Yes, I'm certain he'd feel more at home on the cabinet.
Yes, Gandalf was more of an adviser than a leader, or a general. Not that he wasn't good at both of those as well, but his preference seemed to be behind the scenes, advising the "powers-that-be."

You know, it's funny. you guys almost had me sucked into an actual political discussion, which would probably shut this thread down quicker than Pippin could change his hat. Good thing I held my tongue.

It's funny. This reticence for taking on authority seems to me to be very appealing in a leader. It's too bad so many politicians nowadays actually want the job. There's something evil in that, like Lotho, or Ted Sandyman.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:30 PM   #42
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Gandalf for President? Surely not? He's a committed smoker! Isn't that equal to being Evil McEvil in the USA these days? I think you'd be more likely to see Legolas as President with his clean livin' ways

But seriously, Formendacil was onto something suggesting Gandalf as a civil servant. He wouldn't make a good Sir Humphrey or another kind of permanent civil servant (not serpentine enough), but he would make a superb private secretary or adviser, the kind of person drafted in by a Minister to act independently of the civil service and the party (some call them spin doctors but they're not all like Alastair Campbell!). I think I've mentioned this before, but the role he plays for Aragorn is very much in this line - you particularly see it in the council after the Battle of the Pelennor Fields.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:54 PM   #43
Miss Squadilla
Newly Deceased

Miss Squadilla has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Gandalf is super-INTENSE and all, so it depends on who he's running against. If it were between Gandalf and Tom Bombadil, I would have to go Bombadil because he is EPIC. But if it was between Gandalf and Borimir, I would totally vote Gandalf. Borimir would make the ****tiest leader ever.

But about Gandalf, he would serioulsy make a great president, being a genius 3000 (?) year-old wizard. But it's hard for good honest people to get in power.

Last edited by Miss Squadilla; 09-18-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Miss Squadilla is offline   Reply With Quote