The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-08-2008, 04:16 PM   #1
Curufinende
Newly Deceased

Curufinende has just left Hobbiton.
Question Question about politeness in Aman

Hi everyone!

I will be very much grateful, if somebody would like to help me.
It seems to me, to be not very polite: "Then Manwe spoke and said: 'Hearest thou, Feanor son of Finwe, the words of Yavanna? Wilt thou grant what she would ask?" Or else it was a command from highest to lowest?

I am Russian, and my English is not so good, sorry.
Curufinende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
Morwen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Morwen has just left Hobbiton.
Manwe's question doesn't seem impolite to me nor do I think that Manwe is seeking to command Feanor. Manwe simply wants an answer.
Now Tulkas on the other hand does seem prepared to exert pressure on Feanor.

Quote:
Speak O Noldo, yea or nay! But who shall deny Yavanna? And did not the light of the Silmarils come from her work in the beginning?

Silmarillion, Of the Flight of the Noldor
Old 06-08-2008, 09:02 PM   #3
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
It might help is you could clarify more precisely what aspect of Manwė's questioning strikes you as possibly impolite. To my (English-first language) way of thinking, there's nothing odd in the questioning, but perhaps you aren't picking up on the actual wording of the question so much as something like whether or not Manwė should be asking in Yavanna's stead in the first place.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
Curufinende
Newly Deceased

Curufinende has just left Hobbiton.
Morwen

Quote:
Now Tulkas on the other hand does seem prepared to exert pressure on Feanor.
I think so too.

Formendacil

Quote:
It might help is you could clarify more precisely what aspect of Manwė's questioning strikes you as possibly impolite. To my (English-first language) way of thinking, there's nothing odd in the questioning, but perhaps you aren't picking up on the actual wording of the question so much as something like whether or not Manwė should be asking in Yavanna's stead in the first place.
I think Valar had no rights for Silmarils, because Feanor said: "I shall be slain" and nobody of Valar contradicted him. Feanor did not promise to sacrifice his life. Some Russians think Feanor must give Silmarils for Valar and Manwė's phrase was the polite . When I learned English I had heard that phrase with "will(wilt) you" is not so polites as the phrase with "would you" and is a demand not an appeal. I am sorry I have used a wrong word in my first message.
Curufinende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:21 PM   #5
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

I'd say ''will you'' and ''would you'' are equivalent, neither more demanding than the other. But I just queried my significant other, English being her second language, and the first thing she said was that ''would you'' is more polite.

Tolkien would have been aware of the proper distinction, although I'm afraid I must here pass the torch to someone who knows these words better. Wouldst thou, wilt thou...

Perhaps Fordim will show up to help.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
What is also interesting is the use of "thou" rather than "you".
I think it is more intimate, showing a close relationship between Manwe and Feanor.
And yes, would is definitely more polite, in that it implies I think more cajoling from the asker.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:48 PM   #7
Ibrīnišilpathānezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I went and checked out what I seemed to recall about "thee" or "thou" versus "you," and found that my memory wasn't shot. Originally, "thee" was considered a more intimate form of the word, and "you" more formal. Using "thee" in speaking to Feanor would have indicated the wish for a more personal and less formal interaction. The difference between "would" and "will" is more subtle. In this case, they are both being used in a request, but "would" implies a conditional situation (as in "I would if I could"). "Will" does not necessarily mean the question is a command, but it does not have the conditional implications of "would"; it is more straightforward ("will you or won't you"). "Will" could indicate a command, as in "you WILL do this," but Tulkas does use it in a question. I think the difference is that Manwe, because of his nature, is making a gentler (if fervent) request of Feanor; Tulkas, because of HIS nature, is pressing the issue, attempting to get a straight yes or no from Feanor. If that is the case, then their uses of would/wouldst and will/wilt (the latter being simply more archaic forms of the same word) are appropriate. Manwe is being polite. Tulkas is being a bit pushier.

And I would try to translate this, if I remembered more than a few words and phrases of Russian (studied it too long ago, alas ).
Old 08-16-2008, 01:35 AM   #8
Blokdog
Pile O'Bones

Blokdog has just left Hobbiton.
I think manwe just wants an answer. of course he is eager to have these silmarils ( at least one of them ) for he wants the trees to be healed. but if I think right about manwe, I think that he isn't someone to command a lesser person to give up something he wants to keep. tulkas is a bit less "smart" and tries to solve the problem by solving the question for feanor...
Blokdog is offline   Reply With Quote