The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-18-2007, 06:58 AM   #41
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
The question in this thread title is in future tense, yet the 17th of April is now past. That makes definitive statements easier!

Here in Germany, the translated version of TCoH was also released yesterday. However, I don't own any of Tolkien's works in translation, and I'm not about to start now, so I called a local bookstore which carries a number of English books (including LotR etc.) and asked if they have the new one. They didn't, but said they could order it within a day - and today I picked up my copy!

Admittedly, I'm not as excited about this as a lot of people, never having been as big a fan of Sil and UT as I am of LotR, but this is a one-time opportunity to own a first edition Tolkien book, so I certainly didn't want to miss it. I don't have time to read it right away, but I paged through to look at Alan Lee's illustrations, and they are gorgeous!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:59 AM   #42
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Esty,

That was also what struck me when I looked through the book. Lee's pictures immediately drew me in before I even began to read. I love that first plate (the same image seen on the back cover) that shows the Eagles flying towards the hidden city of Gondolin with Húrin and Huor on their backs.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:39 AM   #43
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
How did I not know this was coming out??

Has anyone read it yet? Is it written well, or is it like the Silmarillian? I don't think I could read it if its in too much of a factual style. Reminds me, I really should finish the Unfinished Tales. Started it, but ironically never finished it
Old 04-18-2007, 12:09 PM   #44
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Elentari,

Good to see you! I've just started reading mine. The blurbs all say that it's halfway between the style of the LotR and the Silm. From the small bit I've read, that's an accurate description. You might want to eyeball the link that davem put up, which will let you read the first chapter online and get a feel for the book.

I also left you a note on the Gold Perch thread about your RPG questions.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:33 PM   #45
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Will do! Missed that link ^^; Still, it'd be a good book to own, just so I can say I have Tolkien's new book