The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-05-2002, 09:48 AM   #1
lomion
Animated Skeleton

lomion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Just got "Unfinished Tales". It is really enlightening.

Just got the "Unfinished Tales" I love it! The story about Isildur is great! I did'nt realize the ring could'nt be put on without great pain so soon after being cut from Sauron's hand. Can't wait to get to the rest. Any favorites?
lomion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 10:04 AM   #2
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Thumbs up

Yes. Isn't it AWESOME!!! All of Tolkien's stuff is like that. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-05-2002, 10:23 AM   #3
lomion
Animated Skeleton

lomion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Parts of it read like the Silmarilion, more like a history book, but some has the characters developed a little more. I like those better. Cool stuff!
lomion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 10:28 AM   #4
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

I particularly liked Gandalf's description of his part in the quest for Erebor, but there wasn't a single story that I didn't enjoy, yet mourn for its incompleteness. I found the story of Anarion and Erendis interesting as it contains a woman who isn't necessarily "a patient Griselda of a wife with a heart of gold"; the tale of the disaster at the Gladden Fields paints a much more sympathetic portrait of Isildur than that in the published work and the section on the Istari is very informative.

Does it strike anyone else as ironic that, presumably unplanned by him, a lot of Tolkien's mythology has come to light more in tantalising fragments than complete work? This is, after all, how our picture of many world mythological systems has been pieced together.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:16 PM   #5
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

My favorite is Narn I Hin Hurin. It is the most in-depth story in Unfinished Tales, and the characters are fully developed. There are humans, dwarves and elves, as well as (I believe) an exchange between Morgoth Bauglir and Hurin - most fascinating! And it's a great, well written tragedy. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] If I say anymore I'll give it all away for you. Enjoy! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 06:30 PM   #6
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My favorite was the story of Celeborn and Galadriel, but all the stories in it were good. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 09:07 AM   #7
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I found the stroy of Galadriel & Celeborn helpful in writing my fan fiction, since my main character is the granddaughter of Gil-Galad, sired by Elrond.
The story of Turin broke my heart! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] That would suck to find out your wife was your sister! Now to read Lost Tales I and II!
Old 02-06-2002, 10:18 AM   #8
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

I liked 'em all! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2002, 10:19 AM   #9
Frahhamn
Pile O'Bones

Frahhamn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Frahhamn
Sting

if found Unfinished tales to be... well... unfinished. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

i liked what was there, but i wish they had been completed.

AAAA!!! DON'T RATE ME DOWN!!!! :(

RATE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

----Frahhamn's Dungeon
----Email Frahhamn
---- tlotr @ ezboard
Frahhamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 01:06 PM   #10
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My reason for buying the book so quickly was the Istari essay, and that remains one of my favourite sections of the book.
Old 05-24-2003, 02:00 PM   #11
Mahal
Haunting Spirit

Mahal has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mahal
Sting

Yes, that about the Istari is great... also these stories (like from Tuor and his coming to goldolin). Are much more detailed and are a lot bigger as those stories in th Silmarillion.
Old 05-24-2003, 04:36 PM   #12
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've always like Unfinished Tales. It's a great book. I just want to put in a plug for the account of the Battles of the Ford of Isen. I guess I'm the only Theodred fan here.

H.C.
Old 05-24-2003, 04:49 PM   #13
Falagar
Haunting Spirit

Falagar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked the version of Tuors journey to Gondolin, and also the Istari-essay...
It's a while since I read it now, considering reading it again someday, when I have time.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 05:25 PM   #14
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm with the Squatter: I liked Gandalf telling why he got Bilbo to go off adventuring!
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 04:01 AM   #15
Afrodal Fenyar
Haunting Spirit

Afrodal Fenyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My favourite is Narn i Nin Hurin, as I've always liked Túrin Túrambar's story from the Silmarillion. Aldarion and Erendis was also interesting, much for the same reasons as Squatter said. I borrowed UT from the library, and I quess I didn't read Gandalf's story, I can't remember it..

~Eomer
Afrodal Fenyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 05:58 AM   #16
Hans Markus Rod
Pile O'Bones

Hans Markus Rod has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My favourite story was about Cirion and Eorl, and the friendship between Gondor and Rohan, especially the Northmen and the Wainraiders. The tragic life of Turin turambar has also fascinated me.
Old 05-25-2003, 06:27 AM   #17
Amarie of the Vanyar
Wight

Amarie of the Vanyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My favourite is 'Of Tuor and His Coming To Gondolin'. It's a pity that it is not finished [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Also, the UT have lots of unexpected details, for example, you are told where the tomb of Elendil was !! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2003, 07:15 AM   #18
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I bought Unfinished Tales because I couldn't find the Silmarillion anywhere, and I enjoyed it a lot. The chapter I liked most was the one about the Istiri (spelt wrong probably) because I found it quite funny that Saruman went to the Shire and smoked pipe weed in secret because he didn't want Gandalf to know he was copying him. Gandalf found out, and found it quite funny too [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Very good book (what do you expect? It's Tolkien!)
Old 05-26-2003, 11:36 AM   #19
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If you liked the 'Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin' chapter, you might also appreciate the version of 'The Fall of Gondolin' in The Book of Lost Tales 2.
Old 06-20-2003, 01:18 AM   #20
Ardolon
Pile O'Bones

Ardolon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'd KILL for the rest of Tour and his coming to Gondolin....I want it...I want it! But I won't get it.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:20 PM   #21
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Does it strike anyone else as ironic that, presumably unplanned by him, a lot of Tolkien's mythology has come to light more in tantalising fragments than complete work?
I agree with you squatter and have noted also that just like real history it comes complete with alternate and oft contradictory to boot.

I love pretty much all of Unfinished Tales.

It took me till the time I got to the downs to realize it but the Post -LotR writings (UT, HoM-E 10-11 and parts of 3 and 12) are to my mind his finest, most subtle, and well crafted works surpassing the LotR often as much as LotR goes beyond THe Hobbit and Lost Tales.

The incompleteness is sad of course, but to quote a Wookie proverb, "Joy not tempered by sadness is suspect".

Welcome to the Downs Ardolon, and if you are really patient you may still be here when the TftE project coughs up it's version of the Fall of Gondolin [an attempt at a canonical editing/updating at the Book of Lost Tales version of the fall of Gondolin].
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 01:08 PM   #22
Firiel Eledhwen

Tolkien

Hello, I'm new to the forum but not new to the books.
Unfinished tales is wonderful, I've read it about four or five times. Ever since I first read the Silmarilion I've loved the story of Turin, tragice but beautiful like the story of Beren and Luthien [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] .
Old 06-25-2003, 12:16 AM   #23
Ardolon
Pile O'Bones

Ardolon has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Thanks for the welcome. I've read the lost tales, couple times. The fall of gondolin is a great story, and although I'll have to be very patient, I'm willing to wait to see a version up to date with the rest of Tolkien's mythos.
Old 06-28-2003, 05:04 AM   #24
Firiel Eledhwen

Silmaril

I've read the 1st part of Book of Lost Tales and some of the 2nd part, very interesting.
I might read the rest of the 2nd after Unfinished Tales.
I'm on Aldarion and Erendis at the moment.
"Cold is the life of a mariner's wife"