The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-01-2002, 07:14 PM   #81
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

I heard it from a chat room actually. I was sooo happy to find this site! Its awsome! I can finally improve my writing skills. I want to be a writer or An Actress. Mostly an Actress.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 12:43 PM   #82
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I read The Hobbit in my Children's Literature course last semester. We had to write a paper on any topic from something we had read, and I chose the history of Hobbits. After looking in the books, I started searching the web and came across the Downs...I've been here ever since. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ October 03, 2002: Message edited by: alaklondewen ]
Old 10-12-2002, 04:24 PM   #83
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I heard of BD through a friend, and ever since I discovered the Forum, my social life has been internet based... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2002, 04:45 PM   #84
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

I was looking for a Lord of the Rings chat, and stumbled upon this one while searching. I thought it was "cute", so I came back, and discovered the Name Translator. Then, after about 2 months on the chat, it was basically established that I would be coming here for a while, so I joined the Forum!

And, here I am today: advertising to my Tolkien fan friends and getting weird looks! Woo! Go Barrow-Downs!
Old 10-13-2002, 02:40 PM   #85
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

i heard about it from a chat room as well, so if u still visit this site Mikey Korner-Davidson, thankyou so much!
Old 10-14-2002, 07:01 AM   #86
ilon
Animated Skeleton

ilon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ilon
Sting

What do you know, I read about The Downs being featured in a column in one of our national newspaper the time the talk of the world was the new TLOTR movie. I checked out the site when I had the opportunity, became a member and read the informative posts, but unfortunately it's only now that i've actively started posting.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:51 AM   #87
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

The Downs were in a newspaper? WE'RE FAMOUS! Or at least the Barrow Downs are! But that's great, too! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 02:54 AM   #88
Glorfinniel the Lost
Wight

Glorfinniel the Lost has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I acually was on another site called Daisy's Hobbit Hole...quaint little place. I was on the links and randomly clicked on The Barow Downs. I looked around and was impressed by the thoughtful, witty conversation, so I decided to join up. And here I am today [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2002, 04:53 AM   #89
Mlo
Haunting Spirit

Mlo has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Actually, I found the downs while looking for a hobbit name generator. Then I just kinda started going to the chat, and then registered and now I just can't live without the downs [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ October 19, 2002: Message edited by: Mlo ]
Mlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 10:28 AM   #90
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

just out of interest, whats the address of daisys hobbit hole? Sounds quite sweet..
Old 10-19-2002, 08:49 PM   #91
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Quote:
my social life has been internet based...
Same here...everytime I'm with my friends I always talk about this place. They may be thinking that I'm crazy. In fact, I talk about LotR to them too much, that they have no time to read any book from the trilogy.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 10:10 AM   #92
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Neferchoirwen, I know exactly what you mean, my friends are getting really tired of having me talk 24/7 about my BD friends, they've even stopped asking "who's that?" when I mention a friend of mine they don't know, who has a really strange name, 'cause they presume it's elvish and that I'm talking about a downer...
Old 10-21-2002, 02:58 PM   #93
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This site was recommeded to me by a nine year old. I only came to put my name through the generator and have been here for the best part of a year since. It is a great escape and I do think of some of the people here as friends now. I am not clever enough nor Tolkien literate enough as to keep up with most folks here but I have found the Freestyle RPG my own alternative universe. Thankyou to whoever had the initial idea to develop the site.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:02 PM   #94
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

Wow... this is a good one. I remember the EZ board, and may have posted a couple times there under my global account 'Snowdogs' sometime in 2000 as I was in search of Tolkien boards at the time. I spent the years on Tolkienonline until I finally got banned.

Anyway, I remember getting the emails about the board changing from EZ to UBB, but never responded. Now I have returned!
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 02:11 PM   #95
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Re: How I wandered into the downs
I stumbled (do elves stumble?) on it while looking for additional LotR quizzes. I had been to a lot of other Tolkien sites but BD is the best! Your quizzes hooked me, then I discovered the forum and now its become an obsession.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:12 PM   #96
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Sting

MSN bords....... we have such things as links in those things. One of the managers had put a link to the downs there. I have told her since that she should not have since I will never be on there much anymore.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:52 PM   #97
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Eye

I believe I found this site off google.com.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:38 PM   #98
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

the late "lordoftherings.com" had a collection of links, one of which led me to the late 25 hobbits website, and of course the Barrowdowns was number 1 (or two) on that list. I looked at it, did all of the quizzes (there were only a few back then), and hung around in the quiz chat room for a while. Then it became a frequent favorite, until late last year when I finally looked at the fora. Now the main site is something that I rarely visit, but the Fora have become a regular part of daily life.

Iarwain
Old 07-12-2003, 03:27 AM   #99
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

Hum, for some odd reason I thought I had already posted on this thread, so I haven't bothered with it. However, reading back through the last few pages I found I didn't post. How strange.

Anyway, a long time ago..hmm..early '01 I think it was, I was founding my own EZboard forum based on politics and specifically the views presented in Ender's Game. While going through the "recently visited" in one of the posters on my forum I found this place. Soon I was posting every so often. Then when the site converted to PHP-UBB, I came back and reregisted under this new nick. Unfortunatly, I waited about a month before coming back, making me the 492nd person to sign up (instead of a much earlier number, but oh well). Strangly enough, it was only about a year and a half ago I finally discovered the chat.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 03:56 AM   #100
Amarinth
Wight

Amarinth has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

woah! this'd be my first post after, say, five months!

hmmm, i remember a friend emailing me one bd quiz and getting hooked. took me quite some time to finally notice the forum and join it. scantily i may add... anyway, it seemed like a different crowd populated the downs then, and streaming in and out as i often do, one can really get a feel of how the site is growing and changing. for example, you can tell that new membership now is mostly through word-of-mouth among the young, is that right?

hey i missed the downs! removed to japan for grad studs and now, in this totally different culture, logging in here feels like communicating with earth from a totally different planet...
Old 07-22-2003, 03:25 PM   #101
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

I was posting at one of those lit. help forums, the kind where people go to ask about themes of a book or what have you because their lit paper is due in ten minutes and they haven't started yet. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I was mainly in the Shakespeare bits, but I noticed they had a Lord of the Rings forum too, so I wandered in one day. Lo and behold half the posters in there had a www.barrowdowns.com link in their sigs, including someone called Einafets the Ice Princess, who I was pals with. And then one fateful day I clicked it and registered here...

... and almost a year later I started posting regularly... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 03:57 PM   #102
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Sting

I can't really remember. I just popped in one day I think. But I didn't register on the forum until much later. I thought the form thingy was to long and that it was to many questions. But one day I just did it, which I don't regret. It' soooooo cool here. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quite boring story huh? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2003, 09:01 AM   #103
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Well, it was only 2 years ago when my elder son (now 17) started reading the Hobbit and LotR (in German), that I got myself some English copies and was soon more of a fan than he is.
In spring 2002 I bought a book called "Tolkiens Welt" (by Michael Nagula) and there was a list of the best Tolkien sites in it, including the BarrowDowns.
Being rather a luddite, I had hardly ever touched a computer before, but my son taught me how to use the internet so I could get in touch with other Tolkien-Fans all over the world. I was absolutely fascinated, and soon joined the BD. Since then I have read ever so many interesting and thought-provoking threads (though I don't post so often) and have fun in the quiz-room.
My sons now tease me about sitting for hours "staring in the Palantir" as they call it!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Who would have thought that!
Old 07-24-2003, 01:53 PM   #104
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Ring

I was searching for my Elvish name and I went to google and I found the barrow-downs name generator! I didn’t like my name so I fiddled around. Later I saw the forum I searched the web for the perfect name and here I am!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ July 24, 2003: Message edited by: Niluial ]
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 05:26 PM   #105
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Sting

Quote:
Actually, I found the downs while looking for a hobbit name generator. Then I just kinda started going to the chat, and then registered and now I just can't live without the downs
Funny, that's exactly how I found it too. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 10:24 PM   #106
Genevieve
Animated Skeleton

Genevieve has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

My friend and I got really interested in lotr, and started searching the internet for good sites. My friend found the barrow downs, and I checked it out. For a long time I just read the fan fiction and barrow-comics ect. I thought I had explored the whole site until that same friend told me about the forum, and recently convinced me to join. And I love it!! It's great! Im so glad it was put together!! Thank you everyone who created this site and who are keeping it going (including all you other posters [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )!! THanks. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I have never failed to feel
Pain.
Genevieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 08:38 PM   #107
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hirilaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The name generator. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Actually, I found a different one, but I didn't like the name I got so I tryed the BD's version.

After poking around the site for a few months and chatting, I decided to give the forum a try. So here I am!

***HIRILAELIN***
Hirilaelin is offline   Reply With Quote