The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2003, 10:23 PM   #1
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
Sting I just need to say this

I don't think it has ever felt so good to weep as it just did. Watched TTT in my room, with pizza and a sprite.
Cibbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 05:27 AM   #2
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Weeping to which part? Surely not for all the film?<P>
Old 09-15-2003, 08:11 AM   #3
Sauron 666
Haunting Spirit

Sauron 666 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Why did you weep? Out of joy, admiration, sorrow out of the poor quality of the movie??? Please elaborate...
Sauron 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 08:46 AM   #4
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Sting

Or was it the children that had to fight?
Old 09-15-2003, 09:29 AM   #5
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

I understand you, Cibbwin! It's a wonderful feeling when a movie takes you over and your eyes just fill with tears. I have cried every time in that scene when Eómer rides down to the hill to Helm's deep but last time. I was so disappointed when tears didn't fall though I felt like crying.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:46 PM   #6
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
Sting

Let's see... when the Rohirrim rode to battle... when Sam gave his soliloquy... when the ents marched... Shall I continue? <P>Mostly out of happiness I cried... although, Theoden crying over Theodred and Boromir's death... *sniff*<P>But even then, it felt good to cry... everyone needs to cry now and then, they do.<P>Anna, if anything, I keep thinking "Cmon! A grown woman is gonna be stronger than an 8 year old!" I mean, women used to fish and hunt for small animals, they did the housework, as in chopping wood, chopping meat... chopping frozen meat is NOT easy. I wanted to see em fight! <P><--- Loves strong women
Cibbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 05:02 PM   #7
daffadowndilly

Sting

i am not a very emotional person, i rarely cry. but every time when i watched sam start talking about the stories, i feel like im about to cry even though my eyes dont get wet or anything.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:18 PM   #8
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Oh come on. the had the kids fighting. I was wondering why they didn't have the women fight too, but in the end who would take care of the kids when everyone is dead. They were the ultamate last resort.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:21 PM   #9
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

I'm not a cryer either, but the moments at the end of The Two Towers were just so incredibly sweet that I was really stirred. (No, not to tears)<P>Such moments include: Sam's speech on the stories that meant something.<P>Gandalf's charge down the mountain.<P>The determination of the Eorlings at the charge out the causeway.<P>Anytime I listen to the beginning track, or watch the opening sequene of Gandalf and the Balrog. I think this scene is absolutely incredible!!!
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 04:08 PM   #10
Lily

Lily has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lily
Shield

I wasn't smart I didn't read the books first so I cried when Gandalf died in FOTR! But anyway since after that I did read the TT and ROTK before the movies I don't think I cried during the movie. I did cry when I was reading the book very much! I was actually more mad than sad when I watched the movies, but that's another story! I do feel very good inside when I hear some of the music or other sound affects like:<P>Nazgul scream (also there "dragons")<P>The orcs horns at the black gate<P>Treebeards cry<P>Also the music when Gandalf and the Rohirrim are riding down the hill<P>And some other things I will not bord you all with.<P>The thing that actually made me cry was the song "Gollum's Song". But anyway I'll go now.
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 02:49 PM   #11
Flame of Arnor

Sting

I thought gollums song was a bit to depressing in comparison to "may it be" and the rest of the movie. I wonder what kind of song return of the king will feature in the credits.(Sad, depressing, triumphant) what do you guys think
Old 09-17-2003, 05:06 PM   #12
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I become teary eyed in both FotR and TTT, mainly because of the music and the sweetness. Like when Sam has the speech in TTT and Frodo and Sam hug in the boat in FOTR...sob. And Legolas's face when he finds out that they are leaving Frodo and then there's that triumphant music as they go after the two hobbits and it just makes me cry. And Sam and Frodo looking at Mordor.<P>In TTT it was the end of the movie (the last fifteen minutes or so) that I got teary eyed. And when the kids went to fight...garn. No wonder Legolas was upset.

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 10:28 PM   #13
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

My eyes were a bit watery when the company thought Gandalf had died and a few tears dropped when Boromir made his last stand. Those tears continued on through Sam and Frodo's hug in the boat, Aragorn's decision to go after the orcs, and all the way till the credits started.<P>The ending to FOTR was the most magical and moving section of film I've ever seen. It left me with a blended feeling of gladness, sorrow, and hope. I already loved the books before the movies came out and was a bit worried about how they'd translate to film, but when I saw the end of FOTR I knew that despite my objections to changes and parts left out, PJ had succeeded in making the closest thing to a perfect movie.<P>And Howard Shore deserves some serious credit as well, for writing what I believe is the greatest music ever. The pleasant and rustic melodies of the Shire, the ominous tones surrounding the ring, the terrifying theme of the Nazgul, the magical notes of Rivendell, the mysterious, haunting, and beautiful sounds of Moria, and the music that seems to mourn for Gandalf as much as the characters on screen at his apparent death. The list goes on and on. It's all so awesome! The music fits with the images on the screen so well they're almost indistinguishable.<P>When I listen to my soundtrack, the movie plays in my head. I get goose bumps every time I hear certain parts, such as Gandalf and Eomer's charge down the hill in TTT (another part where I shed tears, joyous tears that make me feel warm all over).
Old 09-18-2003, 12:56 AM   #14
samrohan
Wight

Sting

How could a Ghost Prince of Cardolan feel emotion and shed tears at a war scene?<P>Softy...<P>I must admit to feeling my eyes water at some parts of the movie, but only a little. I was a stout hobbit built of stearner stuff.
Old 09-18-2003, 05:27 PM   #15
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I still feel teary eyed at the part where gandalf falls off the bridge. But only in FOTR. You see the Gandalf character in both book and movie remind me of my Grandad and he passes away 2 or three years ago. So I think that is part of it. I even had a dream the other day that he wasn't realy dead. Go figure. <P>I still think that the part in the TTT when the soldiers are taking the young boys and old men to fight is sad. Seening the old men taking arms and the young ones too. But thank heaven for Gimly the Comic releaf!
Old 09-18-2003, 07:57 PM   #16
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

I did not see FotR in the theatre (gasp!)and for some reason I only cry in theatres. I would have cried though. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Weeping to which part? Surely not for all the film? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>When I saw TTT I cried through the whole thing.<P>Edit: I'm a shade now! *does a happy dance*<p>[ September 18, 2003: Message edited by: Elennar Starfire ]
Old 09-18-2003, 08:31 PM   #17
Arwen Evenstar

Arwen Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen Evenstar Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Evenstar
Sting

I think I cry most on Sam`s speach about the stories that really mattered. I had wet eyes all through the movies and books though.<P>Frodo: I can`t do this Sam.<P>Sam: I know. It`s all wrong. By rights we shouldn`t even be here. But we are. It`s like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, but in the end, it`s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass.(As he talks, the picture changes from Aragorn, Gandalf, Legolas, Gimli, ect. triumphing over their victory at Helms Deep, and Merry, Pippin, and the ents destroying Isengard.) A new day will come. And when the sun shines, it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something. Even if you were to small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn`t, because they were holding on to something.<P>Frodo: What are we holding on to Sam?<P>Sam: That there`s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it`s worth fighting for.<P>Faramir: I think, we finally understand one another, Frodo Baggins.<P>(Sorry for any mess ups!)<P>That`s my favorite part in the movie, I think.
Arwen Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 11:12 PM   #18
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The ending to FOTR was the most magical and moving section of film I've ever seen. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oh, I know, that part is my absolute favorite in FOTR. I don't know why it does not get more attention, but I just love it. It is so wonderful, bittersweet, and amazing in so many ways. I just love the part at the very end when Frodo and Sam are standing and looking over the landscape, and then he says "Sam, I'm glad your with me", ohhh *tears*
Old 09-19-2003, 01:33 AM   #19
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Howard Shore deserves some serious credit as well, for writing what I believe is the greatest music ever <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I agree phantom! The music when Gandalf fell made me cry so much, even though I was expecting something dramatic like that, it just took me over and the tears were pouring...<P>I have to say I cried more in FOTR than TTT. The only main parts in TTT that made me cry were when Theoden was mourining for Theodred and when Arwen was forced to leave ( but that was mainly because of music *claps for Howard Shore again*). And Sam's speech of course.<P>But FOTR, the list is much longer. <BR>-I cried in the very begining, when Gandalf arrives in the Shire. It just made me so sad to see Frodo so happy and then to know that he's about to be changed forever. <BR>- When Gandalf fell, I mean who couldn't!!<BR>And basically from when the Fellowship reached Amon Hen onwards, until the credits!
Old 09-19-2003, 08:39 AM   #20
kboleen
Animated Skeleton

kboleen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In FOTR I got a lump in my throat when Gandalf fell, a tear fell at the scene of everyone outside Moria where Pippin and Sam were crying, and I was bummed when Boromir died. TTT was for me the kick-butt film of the series. But, I cried at the end of ROTK book as everyone left on the boat and Sam, Pippin, and Merry were left on the shore and if the movie captures even a bit of the magic of the book, I'll be wailing like a titty-baby.
kboleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 08:53 AM   #21
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The only time I cried was when Theoden realizes that his son is dead.<BR>I think Bernard Hill did a great job there.<BR>When he starts crying it really does something to me.<P>The so called touching speeches of Sam didn't work for me, I think that's partly because I don't really like Sean Astin as an actor...
Old 09-19-2003, 09:30 AM   #22
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It is so wonderful, bittersweet, and amazing in so many ways. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Bittersweet. Yes Gorwingel, that word describes FOTR's ending perfectly.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I don't know why it does not get more attention, but I just love it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I don't know either, and I love it too.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The music when Gandalf fell made me cry so much, even though I was expecting something dramatic like that, it just took me over and the tears were pouring <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Yes, there are several times where the choice of music isn't at all what you'd expect, but in every such case it turns out to be better than what you'd expect.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> And basically from when the Fellowship reached Amon Hen onwards, until the credits! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I can't take it any more! Since everyone's mentioning that ending, I'm going home right now and watching FOTR!
Old 09-19-2003, 10:12 AM   #23
samrohan
Wight

Sting

Gollum is too scary, my three year old and my one year old leave the room screaming if I want to watch the film as Gollum scares them too much.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:05 PM   #24
QuickSlash
Wight

QuickSlash has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to QuickSlash Send a message via Yahoo to QuickSlash
Shield

I love Gollum. He reminds me of the man I love, though, and he loves Gollum. Reminds him of himself. Just... memories. <P>I cried in the book at the very end of it all. I doubt I'll cry here, though, as I doubt they'll do the passing, and I usually only cry once for a movie.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:49 AM   #25
samrohan
Wight

Sting

As the title of this topic is non-descriptive I will post a question that has been bugging me since watching the TT.<P>I never realized Gimli was carrying two axes. I might never have noticed but he always is seeen to carry a single bladed axe, whereas he hands over a double bladed one to the door keepers in Rohan.<P>Strange....
Old 09-22-2003, 03:16 PM   #26
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

I just noticed this, samrohan.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> How could a Ghost Prince of Cardolan feel emotion and shed tears at a war scene? <P>Softy...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I don't know, I've never been called a softy before. Though I shed tears, I don't cry in the sense that I blubber and sob. When I cry my jaw gives a bit of a quiver and the tears fall silently down my expressionless face (expressionless except for my eyes, they always change with my mood).<P>Also, I cry at extremely manly times. I cried when the Huskers won the National Championship in 94, 95, and 97, I cried a little in Independence Day when we shot the aliens down and everyone was cheering (go figure), I cried when Pete Sampras won his record-breaking 13th Grand Slam, when he won the US Open in 2002, and when he announced his retirement, I cry every time I hear the National Anthem, I cried in Rudy (a great Sean Astin movie) when he's carried off the field by his team, and I cried when Andy Roddick won the US Open earlier this month.<P>Hmm...maybe I am a softy.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:21 PM   #27
Aduyuldaiel-MirkwoodPrincess
Haunting Spirit

Aduyuldaiel-MirkwoodPrincess has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aduyuldaiel-MirkwoodPrincess
Eye

theres only been a few movies ive cried in... the two least likely that ive cried in are xmen and FOTR...i dunno what came over me...its just so... EMOTIONAL. *sniffels* lol not really...i think i was just moved
Old 09-25-2003, 02:32 AM   #28
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Dear Phantom, you hav expressed in words the very feelings I have myself about FotR , its ending and the music! <BR> <BR>Never has any film fascinated and moved me so much as FotR. Sadly, I couldn't enjoy TTT half as much. Probably because there were too many deviations from the book (not so much that the plot was altered, but the characters...), and in the mean time I know and love the book too well not to mind. <P>I only hope that the Grey-havens scene will be as good as the ending of the FotR movie!! That is also bittersweet (as Gorwingel said), mixed sadness and hope .