The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2003, 01:04 PM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril **RotK - Pippin (Billy Boyd)**

What's your opinion on Pippin and Boyd's acting in RotK?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 11:30 AM   #2
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I've always liked Billy Boyd's acting, and it was just as good in this one, but what surprised me was the song. Beautiful!<BR>I think Pippin was portrayed very well in the movies.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:31 PM   #3
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I thought Pippin was very good and also important in this film. A lot of emotion showed by Boyd.<P>However, I didn't like the palantir scene. Just ridiculous looking special effects to me. Could have been far more effective with simple facial expressions and slight body twitches whilst sitting down.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:27 PM   #4
Lossentilien
Wight

Lossentilien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There were a couple of moments I din't like with Pippin, but in general, I think Billy Boyd's wonderful. I'd expected an out of tune, harsh Scottish accent, but instead was shocked with a suprisingly gentle voice. <BR>I loved the scene when he and Merry part, it was just really touching how much they cared for one another.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:06 PM   #5
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting

I thought he was outstanding, especially in this film. The relationship between Pip and Merry was very well-portrayed. <P>He still retained some of that "foolish" charm yet you could tell he was growing.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:40 PM   #6
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Boyd did a great job in this movie. Pippin really seemed to grow up. I remember from the EE of FOTR Galadriel telling him that he will find his courage, well, I believe he's found it all right! I loved him in this movie! I think The way he acted or was portrayed in this movie was the best portrayal of him I've seen yet.

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 05:43 PM   #7
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Billy Boyd blew me away in this movie. He had more to work with, more screen time and more emotional moments, and he used them to their full extent.<P>I didn't mind the Palantír scene; it was a little more violent than I had imagined it, but Billy played it really well, especially the part after Gandalf takes it away from him where he talks about what he saw. But I think my favorite Pippin scene was the scene where he pledges his service to Denethor. It was never a move that I agreed with--putting yourself under the order of a quite emotionally unstable man--but I understand the emotion behind it, and Billy nailed it. Just nailed it.<P>He was one of my favorite actors in this movie...plus, he has such a beautiful voice! A friend told me he was in a band earlier, and I can believe it. What a beautiful song.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:40 PM   #8
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Oh Billy.....<P>I thought Pippin was really brilliant in this movie. It was great to see him in some more intense emotional scenes. I thought the Palantir scene was great, especially afterwards, when Pip told what he had seen. What I also liked was when he pushed Faramir off the burning pyre. Very heroic. Go Pippin!!! <P>And I loved his song! That was so sad, and then having it play over the shots of Faramir going into battle was really heart-breaking. *sigh*<P>Abedithon le,<P>~*~Aranel, the Obvious Pippin Fancier~*~
Old 12-17-2003, 07:51 PM   #9
Catherine
Shade of Carn Dûm

Catherine has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> but what surprised me was the song. Beautiful! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>OMG I LOVED THAT PART!! his acting was great...and a great voice<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I loved the scene when he and Merry part, it was just really touching how much they cared for one another.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I loved that scene to!! It made me so sad!
I don't think I should have had the heart to leave it."
~Merry to Haldir in Lothlórien~
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 01:00 AM   #10
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Pippin. *sigh* I love Pippin. Pippin Pippin Pippin....<P>Ahem. I am one happy Pippin 'fangirl'. I agree that the Palantir could have been more subtle, but at least it was in there. The concept of the Beacons instead of the Red Arrow was... em... odd (those guys stand around piles of wood on mountain tops at all times, just in case? I don't think so) but I loved it that Pippin carried out his "secret mission". Basically, I'm a slave for any Pippin screentime.<P>You know, when I've got something to complain about I can go on and on and feel really smart and analytical, but this is not that day! I <I>could</I> go on about him, but I'd sound like an Orlibopper (only a Pippinbopper). And nobody wants that.<P>PS<P>Note the Diamond Took cameo. Oh, I know, I know, he was just smiling at the nearest female (and she wasn't that pretty...) but you can't tell me that wasn't Diamond. So there.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:34 AM   #11
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

Oh, I loved it! His singing was beautiful, and the scene where he and Merry parted was so sad... it made me cry! And you could really see how he grew up. I loved the part where he jumped onto the burning pyre, and saved Faramir!! He was so brave there! And the accent is wonderful I think Billy Boyd did a wonderful job!
Old 12-18-2003, 03:36 AM   #12
Quirkette
Haunting Spirit

Quirkette has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I must go to Scotland, where I might meet men who speak with that accent. It just does things to me. <P>I still find it amazing the way the hobbits in this movie have such a basic and open affection amongst themselves. The actors seemed so comfortable in their interaction. Hey, did anyone see how still and solemn the 4 of them seemed at the Green Dragon just before Sam went to talk to Rosie? That made me sad. It's as if Merry and Pippin were done with singing on table tops! Oh no!
Old 12-18-2003, 06:00 AM   #13
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Pippin in this movie was great! I wasn't surprised by his good singing (have the soundtrack). I think the interaction between him & Gandalf worked very well, & it was, in some ways, good to see Pippin alone without Merry.<BR>The Palantír scene was good I think - PJ needed to convey how dangerous the thing was in a short while, without slowing the pace of the movie.
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 08:21 AM   #14
Veritas
Wight

Veritas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I really liked Pippin in the movie, and his singing was great, but does anyone knows what he is singing? Or where I can find it?
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 10:48 AM   #15
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

Billy Boyd, next to Elijah, was my favourite actor in those movies. Watching him grow up, feel pain, joy and sadness...in his cute little face, I said "Awwww, Kawaii" more than once into the dark theater. His singing really touched my heart, if I am not mistaken, I think that is his real voice. Seeing our favourite characters in the dire situations, only to see them triumph and get to be clean and wear cool clothes in the end was awesome. Nothing better.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 01:25 PM   #16
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Yep, that's him singing. He's credited as one of the "featured soloists".
Old 12-18-2003, 02:00 PM   #17
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Basically, I'm a slave for any Pippin screentime.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Same here. <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I could go on about him, but I'd sound like an Orlibopper (only a Pippinbopper). And nobody wants that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Psh. If the Orli-boppers can go on, why can't we? Silly biased people.<P>Something I forgot to mention earlier, was how really touching the farewell at Edoras was. Pippin really didn't understand what was going on; and when it was evident that Merry would be staying in Edoras the expression on Pippin's face is just heartbreaking. It's as though it really hits him at that point: He's going to have to be on his own, and things are going to get very, very dangerous for everyone. He also realizes that he may never see Merry again, and that's a real blow to him.<P>Again, I say he was incredibly brilliant in this movie. Yay Pippin!!! <P>Abedithon le,<P>~*~Aranel~*~
Old 12-18-2003, 07:52 PM   #18
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Billy Boyd did an incredible job. I'm not a Merry and Pippin fan, but Billy was great in every scene he was in. The scene with Denethor was really powerful: you could see the horror and pity Pippin felt at Denethor's treatment of Faramir without him having to say a word. I also loved his moments alone with Gandalf when their relationship was allowed to go beyond "Pip does something naughty and Gandy yells at him." I was also blown away by his singing.<P>-Lily
Old 12-19-2003, 01:24 PM   #19
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Holy Eru, I think I'm in love! Billy's acting just blew me away in this movie. He was just amazing. In the first couple of movies, he was just comic relief, but he truly came into his strength in this third movie. I think it really hit home for me, because it showed that it will always be the smallest people, and the most unlikely of people, who will become the greatest heroes.<P>BTW, I think we need to start a club of Billy-boppers, since we already have Leggy-boppers
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 07:18 AM   #20
Nienna, sister of Feanturi
Pile O'Bones

Nienna, sister of Feanturi has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Nienna, sister of Feanturi Send a message via AIM to Nienna, sister of Feanturi
Sting

I thought Billy Boyd was totally amazing in the films. If I had to pick a best actor from the movies it would probably be him (although Elijah Wood could give him a run for his money) I loved his transformation from a mere comedy part to...well...Pippin. When he offered his services to Denethor tears sprang into my eyes. I've always loved Pippin ever since I first read the book and Billy Boyd just brought into his performance everything I so love about him. I thought his bewildered parting from Merry was heart wrenching, and his song... words fail me. The horror on his face when Denthor began burning Faramir "he's still alive!" and his stunned face at the battle and when he suddenly gathers his courage and killed that orc ( I cheered to the very great embarrassment of my friend who was with me)
Old 12-20-2003, 07:29 AM   #21
Naurwen_of_Lothlorien
Haunting Spirit

Naurwen_of_Lothlorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Naurwen_of_Lothlorien
Shield

Oh, my! Billy Boyd... *sigh*<P>Seriously though, I really have a soft spot in my heart for him. He's so adorable and portrays Pippin wonderfully.<P>It moved me so much to see Pippin in such a horrific situation. He's never really seen anything like it and suddenly he's thrown into this battle serving a mad steward who tries to set fire to his own son. Poor Pip.<P>His singing was...amazing. Sometimes there are no words to describe things, and I think this is one of those times. I've fallen in love with Billy! *Gasp*<P>I just wanted to embrace Pippin all the way through it and tell him it would turn out okay.<P> <P>~Naurwen, the once again Billy fan~
Naurwen_of_Lothlorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 04:08 PM   #22
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Spectacular. Absolutely spectacular. For me, his character shined in the movie more than anyone else's, although Sean Astin's Sam was a close second.
Old 12-20-2003, 05:16 PM   #23
Cinderella
Wight

Cinderella has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cinderella
Thumbs up

Billy Boyd in RotK = Perfection with a Scottish accent <P>Especially in his: singing, innocence, courage in the face of fear, and his relationship with Merry<p>[ 6:18 PM December 20, 2003: Message edited by: Cinderella ]
Old 12-21-2003, 11:39 AM   #24
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was SO happy to see all the screentime my lovely Pippin got! The scene in which Gandalf talks about death as the next great journey was, to me, an homage to the flashing scenes and indescribable joy of the experience of Pippin's seeing beyond at the Black Gate in the book, as he hears the Eagles and fades from the world underneath the troll he has slain...although the scene was not included, I account this an homage that takes into it the spirit of the hobbits and of Pippin in particular...I am very pleased! (I understand this is the description of what Frodo sees as he sails West, but to describe it to Pippin at this point adds yet another sublime dimension to it!) <P>Pippin shines beyond my wildest hopes in this one, and although I never accounted him simple "comic relief" I was so glad to see him flower! The palantir scene was, IMO, a little over the top, though, and it is not made perfectly clear <I>why</I> "He" (Sauron) is supposed to think the Pippin has the Ring. (Luckily I've read the book a million times and already knew!) But I think there are scenes to be added there, or I hope so, to make this clear.<P>And I think the term "Billybopper" is an apt one! What a guy! (I went to the film twice with a Leggybopper, but she didn't know the term until I called her that!)<P>More later!<BR>Cheers!<BR>Lyta<P>[ 12:41 PM December 21, 2003: Message edited by: Lyta_Underhill ]<p>[ 12:45 PM December 21, 2003: Message edited by: Lyta_Underhill ]
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 01:34 PM   #25
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Pippin was very, very good - you almost see him maturing onscreen as he had that last conversation with Merry (the line about "WHY do you always have to LOOK?" was classic) and was brought to Denethor. The "I offer you my service" line worked in a way it really wouldn't have had it been pre-Palantir. And he sang very well, I must say . I'm not a Pippinbopper, Diamond (Faramir for me - or Merry, considering my screen name) but I can see very well how someone would be - more so that for Legolas, in fact, not that it's a big deal ).
Old 12-21-2003, 02:14 PM   #26
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

I think the way Pippin's role was played in Return of the King was possibly one of the best parts of the film. As Kalimac said, you almost saw him changing on screen - when you look at his first scene in which he and Merry are sitting, smoking their pipes and munching away, the very epitome of carefree hobbity-ness, you see the same Pippin from the first two films, and it continues throughout that film: when Gandalph tells him to hand over the Palantir, he does so without question or misgiving - wide eyed, innocent, impulsive, playing the fool. <P>It continues even after the Palantir as well: "I won't do it again," he says to Merry, like a small child. Lesson number two comes to Pip with a sharp shock when Merry turns on him, opening his eyes, and then Lesson number three when Merry, like an older brother, gives him the last of the Longbottom leaf in one of my favourite scenes, and he suddenly realises his best friend from whom he has never been parted for more than a day, say, is not coming with him. Throughout the film, these little things keep coming, making no really significant change to the main plot, but building up - when Faramir rides on what is basically a suicide mission at the bidding of his father and Pippin is left in the huge hall with Denethor munching away disgustingly, you see the subtle changes altogether in Pippin's own newfound subtlties of speech (enhanced by the camera work): "we have no songs for huge halls (?) and...*switch to Denethor crunching hideously on a bone*...<I>evil</I> times." <P>Oh, and his singing was lovely. <I>That</I>, interlaced with the Faramir snippets, was my favourite scene.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:00 PM   #27
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

I've always loved Pippin, ever since i read three is company, and i loved him even more when i saw fotr. He didn't have a huge role, but I still thought he was amazing. I was so worried that they wouldn't have much of Pippin in rotk, and they would just ignore his growing up, and his relation with Merry, but i was pleasantly surprised.<P>Billy Boyd did an amazing job! I really felt that he portrayed Pippin perfectly, his innocense, his relationship with Merry. I was so stunned, and happy that he was on the screen so much, and did such a wonderful job too!<P>I wish there could have been a bit more with Merry, because it just seemed sort of one-sided after pippin and Merry parted. There was plenty of Pippin, but everytime I saw Pippin, I was wondering what was happening with Merry! But I understand that Merry's role was not as big, or emotional, and it was hard to fit in with the rest of the movie, taking up so much time.<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I really liked Pippin in the movie, and his singing was great, but does anyone knows what he is singing? Or where I can find it? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Billy Boyd wrote and performed the song, and its in the soundtrack(which I still have to get)! I knew he had done a lot of singing before, but I didn't realize how good Billy Boyd was! I was really impressed, and glad that they had let him sing, and had incorporated it into the movie, genuis!<P>Well, I could go on for hours about Pippin, but unfortuantly, i dont have that much time! Any other Billy lovers pm me!
Old 12-21-2003, 09:06 PM   #28
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Pippin has always been one of my favourite characters from the book, and so I was suitably impressed with his portrayal in this film. I had never quite got over him having a Scottish accent, which never really worked for me, but Billy Boyd's performance (and the characterisation of Pippin) in this film was so great that it completely overcame that (minor) reservation. I can forgive his "comic relief" role in the previous films on the basis of its contrast with the maturing character that Boyd and Jackson present us with as this film plays out. I especially enjoyed the development of his relationship with Gandalf, again in contrast to the edgy relationship that these two characters have had in the previous films.<P>Truly, Pippin has come of age. I only wish that Merry had been given a similar opportunity.<p>[ 10:08 PM December 21, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]
Old 12-21-2003, 09:49 PM   #29
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

A fair call, PanMan, but the growth of Pippin was always going to be easier to chart. In the movies as well as the books, Merry is more of a worldly hobbit. Not quite as young, and definitely not as foolish.<P>Billy Boyd played his part very well, and the writers took great care to see that his character grew and his story was finished off. I'm sure that with a bit more experience, Billy will be an excellent actor and I'd be dead keen to see him in his next movie. He'd be my first choice to play Bilbo if somebody ever makes <I>The Hobbit</I>.<P>But I have to brave the fangirl onslaught and say that I got pretty sick of his wide-eyed "Oh, gosh!" look of stunned mullet amazement. Not entirely Boyd's fault; I think that PJ has a habit of overdoing scenes and 'laying it on a bit thick'. I don't even know how to describe the expression, but I can say that in my opinion less is almost always more. A good example is the parting of Merry and Pippin, which I have to admit was done better than the book. Dom and Billy really showed exactly what the feelings were. They had it absolutely perfect... and then PJ writes in a parting scream of "Merry!" from Pippin. Whoops! Too far. Jackson once again orders extra cheese.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> gathers his courage and killed that orc <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah, that was pretty good in the context of his pre-battle fear. However, we've seen all four hobbits beat the snot out of orcs in Moria, so PJ kind of painted himself into a corner (again!) on that one. I feel that Pippin spotting the eagles was a bit lacking, too, but I don't know exactly why. Maybe it just lacks the hopelessness of the situation in the book, where Pippin (like Bilbo) was on the verge of unconsciousness.<P>All in all, Pip was definitely one of the high points of the film, though. It was a real shame not to see him and Merry emerge as great heroes on their return to the Shire. Best Billy line: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> or <B>evil</B> times <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 12-22-2003, 05:08 PM   #30
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

I loved Pippin's scenes. The first time I really broke down and cried my LotR loving little heart out was when Pippin left Edoras and the looks on his and Merry's faces...<P>I loved his singing scene - I'd already heard it on the soundtrack, but couldn't wait to see it in the movie. And I loved their first appearance in the movie, with him and Merry smoking and talking about Isengard in that way. I loved that chapter in the books, and I thought it was done so well.<P>I do think the Palantir scene was just a tad overdone, but I can cope with it.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:03 PM   #31
balrogman
Wight

balrogman has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i thought he was amazing, most of my friends laughe dat his song(being we are immature 15 year olds) but i thought it was good(the next britney spears...oh wait) and i love his accent too!
Old 12-23-2003, 11:34 PM   #32
Enedbelethiel
Animated Skeleton

Enedbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I loved Billy Boyd from the moment he set off the dragon fireworks in FOTR. He did a wonderful job with ROTK, and like all of you, I loved his touching solo as Faramir and company ride to Osgiliath. His innocence turning to realizing was very endearing. I'm very happy at the screen name that Peter Jackson allowed him to have.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:41 AM   #33
aleesa
Animated Skeleton

aleesa has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to aleesa Send a message via AIM to aleesa
Sting

Billy Boyd did an incredible job playing Pippin. That charm and innocence that he gives to the character. ooo...and the part that he sings...superb! It made me want to cry for all the sufferings and death.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:35 PM   #34
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>BTW, I think we need to start a club of Billy-boppers, since we already have Leggy-boppers<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>There's a forum around somewhere, I know it....<P>Just to give support to a neglected scene, I really did like the <B>palantir scene</B> at Edoras. At the start, Pippin did seem a bit hesitant to look in the palantir once he got it back, but the Sauron didn't really give him a choice in the matter (notice how his hands were <I>pulled</I> onto the palantir once they were close enough?). IMHO, I didn't think it was overdone at all; come on, if Sauron is picking through <I>your</I> head, how would you react? It really kind of shows how powerful Sauron is becoming, if he can have that effect on people; plus it boosted Pippin credibility for not cracking under that intense of pressure and telling about Frodo.<P>Abedithon le,<P>~*~Aranel, the Obvious Pippin Fancier~*~
Old 12-26-2003, 09:15 PM   #35
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked Pippin, he got a much bigger role in this movie and was a separate character than Merry. I'm glad we got to see the 'I'm younger than Merry' part of him, because that is something that is in the books that is lacking in the movies. Another thing that he got to do this movie was fight! I was so happy to see him kill that orc at Minas Tirith!<P>I loved his singing at Minas Tirith. He has such a beautiful voice, and with his cute accent! Ah, bliss. <P>The palantir scene was awful. PJ has done such a good job so far with not having crazy lights, sci-fi kind of effects etc. It would have been better to see it from Pippin's perspective and to see Sauron, or here Sauron trying to get into his mind. As it was, it was just really really odd.
Old 12-27-2003, 12:56 PM   #36
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I have to say that I liked the palantir scene. At first I thought it was a bit overdone but now after seeing it again a couple of times, I think it was well done.<P> I talked to one of my friends after who hadn't read the books before going to see the movie, and asked her what she thought of that scene. She told me that she was frightened for Pippin, being one of her favourite characters, and wanted to know what was happening, and was almost panicking herself. I think this may have been the reaction Peter may have been going for, and he still kept relatively close to what happens in the books.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It really kind of shows how powerful Sauron is becoming, if he can have that effect on people<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I have to agree here with Sapphire_Flame, it really shows what Sauron can do even from so far away, even if through the palantir, and it gives a sense that there is no way to hide from his power. I think Pete did a great job on this scene!
Old 12-27-2003, 07:32 PM   #37
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Finally Billy got a bigger part so he could develop his character more. He wasn't just comic relief anymore and I like that. Billy finally got a chance to shine.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:29 AM   #38
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

Good! So I'm not the only one! <BR>who thinks that Billy is the second best thing about this movie, of course. <P>Seriously - Pippin's extended screen time could have easily annoyed me as it was stolen time from other characters who were more entitled to it (Aragorn) or other scenes I was sad at not seeing (Houses of Healing, Gandalf vs Witchking, Eowyn and Faramir) - but instead, I loved them. My favourite scene from the movie is when he sings to Denethor and Faramir & co ride to war. I like it very much how his voice breaks a little before he sings the final word 'fade'. When he swears allegiance to Denethor, that's another memorable scene. And I love the discussion with Gandalf which foreshadows the ending, and it's really heartbreaking how he innocently replies: 'then it's not so bad.'<P>I know I'm in the minority here, but I think the Oscar nomination for best supporting actor should go to Billy Boyd. There you have it. * crosses arms defiantly at all the Samboppers(?) <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> They had it absolutely perfect... and then PJ writes in a parting scream of "Merry!" from Pippin. Whoops! Too far. Jackson once again orders extra cheese. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I couldn't agree more! Geez...it was too good to be true...
Old 01-09-2004, 01:41 PM   #39
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Thank you for agreeing with me, Carlas! <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I know I'm in the minority here, but I think the Oscar nomination for best supporting actor should go to Billy Boyd. There you have it. *crosses arms defiantly at all the Samboppers*<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hear, hear! I'd definitely give Billy the nomination for Best Supporting Actor. Maybe Sean Astin could get nominated for Best Actor; he did have a bigger part this time round, after all. (plus then the Pippinboppers and Samboppers can live in peace...)<P>Abedithon le,<P>~*~Aranel, the Obvious Pippin Fancier~*~
Old 01-09-2004, 02:13 PM   #40
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I know I'm in the minority here, but I think the Oscar nomination for best supporting actor should go to Billy Boyd. There you have it. *crosses arms defiantly at all the Samboppers* <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Couldn't agree more!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> They had it absolutely perfect... and then PJ writes in a parting scream of "Merry!" from Pippin. Whoops! Too far. Jackson once again orders extra cheese. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Couldn't agree less. I thought it worked well with the scene, and it seemed like he was almost panicking, now that he understood that they might never see eachother again. Also, that last shout for Merry made me cry, I can identitfy with having to leave a best firend. But I guess im just too emotional. <p>[ 3:13 PM January 09, 2004: Message edited by: Carlas ]