Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2004, 12:00 PM   #41
Alaksoron
Haunting Spirit

Alaksoron has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alaksoron
Question

Piosenniel,

Just so I'm clear on this, does the White Horse count as a RPG? I was just wondering.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Answer to Query: None of the Inns count as RPG's.

~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 08-25-2004 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:53 PM   #42
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Thank You *bows low* for accepting me! I can't wait to get this game going. I'm going to make those corrections very soon!

Edit: I made the changes, hope its good.

Last edited by Esgallhugwen; 08-25-2004 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:15 PM   #43
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Fordim -

Nuranar and Envinyatar have agreed to wait the 2 weeks for your game to end.

Go ahead, please and put your Troll bio on the Discussion Thread.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio
Old 08-26-2004, 06:37 AM   #44
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
White-Hand Urgent

Pio, Alaksoron has been accepted to the game. -- EDIT: Noted! ~*~ Pio

Dragon Elf, please check your PM's!

Meneltarmacil, have you heard from Dragon Elf?

Last edited by piosenniel; 08-26-2004 at 10:34 AM. Reason: adding notes to Dragon Elf and Meneltarmacil
Old 08-26-2004, 12:29 PM   #45
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Well, I, like Fordim, will be free of obligation by September 8 (my schedule opens with Fordim's game ending). I don't know if any of the baddies remaining are 'secondary' characters, but, if so, I'd be more than willing to play a part, perhaps the second in command. If this is a major part and requires 'full-time employment,' then it's probably not manageable but, that's up to y'all and pio.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Old 08-26-2004, 03:35 PM   #46
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Kransha

These are the games with end-dates you’re in:

Farmer in the Dale - 08/31/04
Bloodstained Elanor - 09/08/04
Land of Darkness - 09/20/04

The first two will have ended by the time I open this game – so go ahead and place your bio (no post needed at present) for the: Second in command to the Orc chieftain.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe this is a secondary character - correct, Nerindel?

Would you be able to post once a week to this game?

~*~ Pio
Old 08-26-2004, 07:08 PM   #47
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Here's the bio for my troll. In addition to Arrald I've come up with a carry-along brother named Dym. In an earlier post it says that a carry along is OK for this role. If there's been a change, I am happy to stick with Arrald alone.

Greetings Krashsa *Fordim waves*

Oh! I neglected to copy and paste the information about me and my RPing, so I hope this suffices:

I have RPed in three games: "A Land to Call Their Own", "Bloodstained Elanor", and "Land of Darkness." I'm currently in the latter two, but "Elanor" will be wrapping up by 8 Sept, and "Land" by 20 Sept. I have posted to the Green Dragon.

NAME: Arrald

AGE: He’s not too sure. Pretty old though. Certainly older than his brother Dym. At least, he thinks he’s older than Dym, but if he is older than his brother, then wouldn’t he be able to remember some time in his life when Dym wasn’t around? There was that time Dym was away in the south fighting in the big troubles, and so there is at least one time in his life that Arrald remembers Dym not being around, but that probably doesn’t count because he can remember when Dym went away.

RACE: Arrald loves races! He can outrun any other troll. One time, he and his brother Dym decided to race to the mountains, and Arrald is sure that he would have won. But they got lost halfway and had to find their way back to the starting line to start again so that they’d know that they’d started in the same place. But when they were just about to start again they found some sheep so they tore out the shepherd’s legs and had a good laugh watching him try to crawl away as they ate the sheep.

GENDER: Male. He thinks. It’s been a while since he checked.

WEAPONS: Arrald likes to boast that his fiercest weapon in his finely honed intellect. But when that fails him he has a really big log that he can hit things with until they stop moving. It has the fringe benefit of tenderising them a bit as well.

APPEARANCE: Very tall and broad, with an exceptionally large head marked by a huge flat nose that spreads across half his face, and a low brow beneath which peep two black eyes. His tough skin is scarred from his many battles with Men and Elves, and there are two fingers missing from his left hand. He can’t really remember how he lost them, but it has something to do with a party of Dwarves. Arrald is entirely hairless, and is clad in a simple leather jerkin that comes to his knees and is bound about his waist by an immense belt. His huge hands with their ragged talons hang below his crooked knees.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Arrald is considered to be a rather intelligent troll. At least, that’s what he thinks, and there are few who would dare tell him different, for his temper is as quick as his club is heavy. His favourite food is raw goat, and his favourite pastime is tearing the legs off hapless folk and watching them trying to walk. He hates all of those meddlesome beings who are always trying to clear the forests and plough the fields so that they can set up their blasted communities. He likes the long empty miles of the north and relishes with glee the days that he can spend with nothing but his own thoughts for company. One of his fondest memories is the week he spent contemplating a small stone atop a larger stone; he had watched it day and night, wondering if it was going to fall. He longs for the chance to do something like this again, but the busybodies coming up from the south and building roads and farms are making that more and more difficult. The only comfort he finds in the current state of the world is in the fact that these folk and their flocks are more tender and tasty morsels than many he’s had in a long span of years.

HISTORY: Arrald has lived in the north all his life with his brother Dym. He recalls no mother or father. When he tries to remember the first thing he can remember after all the things that he’s forgotten, he does faintly recall a vast fortress in a very cold land, where he seems to remember having spent a very long time. He may have fought in a war of some sort back then, but trying to work it out makes his head hurt, so he doesn’t do it very often. For a very long time now he and Dym have made their own way in the world, living off what game they can find and taking the occasional morsel when it comes their way along the Road. During the troubles, his brother Dym went away to the south to do some fighting, but Arrald was content to stay where he was comfortable. There had been some ruckus around the cursed Elf-House down by the River, but he had kept well clear of it. When the troubles had ended it had been nice for a while, what with the fearsome Men who had harried he and his brother suddenly disappearing. But lately, things have got worse with more and more Men coming up the Road from the south and setting up shop on the lands that Arrald has come to regard as his own after many long years spent wandering through them.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:22 PM   #48
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
*waves back at Fordim...ominously*

Alright, here's the second-in-command orc. I might whip up some mini-bios for lesser lieutenants of his, since I seem to be also writing the parts of a group of orcs. I assume that any necessary information will be given when needed, so, suffice to say, here is the bio for Bâzzog, my stupidest character yet. This should be fun (considering I've never played a character quite like this). Beware the amount of parentheses.

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? Yes, Land of Darkness The Legacy of Traitors, A Land To Call Their Own, Bloodstained Elanor, Farmer in the Dale

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? Three, technically, Land of Darkness, Farmer in the Dale, and Bloodstained Elanor

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? Yes, Both

NAME: Bâzzog [the Atrocious]

AGE: Unknown. As far as he knows, Bâzzog has been around for at least a century, but he doesn’t care to remember beyond that. Other orcs think he was bred in the First Age by the will of Morgoth, but he contests this doggedly, for a reason which, perhaps, is unknown to even him. He is estimated to be between 20 and 500 years old, according to collected accounts.

RACE: Orc, but the troop he commands seems to think otherwise. He is technically a Mountain Orc, but the fact doesn't bother him.

WEAPONS: This orc is a veritable arsenal of weaponry, which is a matter of pride to him. His weapon of choice is a great mace which is essentially a cylinder of rusty iron with countless multidirectional spikes welded onto it, leaving only some room at one end for a hilt. The massive weapon is two handed, is almost four feet in length (longer than most Shire-folk are tall), and is bound to his back with strips of ox-hide appropriated from raided fields of livestock. At either hip he has what looks to be a long, angular, meat cleaver. Bâzzog claims to be ambidextrous, so the visage of him with two weapons is considered a most fearful sight. In addition to all this, Bâzzog has two broad knives in cloth sheaths, one strapped to his lower left arm and the other to his lower right leg. Also, just in case, he sharpens his teeth with a stolen nail file and is ready to use them if necessary. Of course, if worse came to worse, he could always used his gargantuan fists and strength.

APPEARANCE: Bâzzog is a great, galumphing brute of an orc. His gait is boorish but still proud and he carries himself as regally as he can (most of the time). His form is extremely muscular, his arms bulky and oversized, seemingly too big for his body. His skin is rough and leathery, as darkly colored as dull obsidian. His face is long and drawn like a snout with a bulbous nose, a pair of low-set, beady, greenish eyes, a mouth of teeth that are more reminiscent of elephantine tusks, jutting out at all angles, and a sagging Neanderthal brow all framed by some grizzled, seemingly misplaced strands of hair, raven like that of the elves but tainted into a more sickly color. Bâzzog’s shoulders are high and his oversized arms often dangle limp at his sides as he drags his great weight around like an ape. He is tall in comparison to men and orcs, a most imposing figure in width and breadth alike. He is often clad in no more than tattered, multicolored rags with a hauberk of chain mail over his chest, wrought-iron plates of metal bound to his upper arms and legs, and a disheveled, studded tunic three sizes two small, which he stole of a fellow from Staddle.

PERSONALITY: Bâzzog is, for all intents and purposes, an oaf and a fool, as well as a braggart, a fool, a brute, and holds many more distasteful titles, many pinned on him by those who serve beneath him. Bâzzog is not bright or remotely intelligent. He knows only the basics of Westron, often slipping into the Black Speech of Mordor, and his heavy accent doesn’t help his crude attempts at oratory. He never bothered to learn anything he wasn’t sure he’d need to know, and thus is uneducated in most matters. He is a boor, dull and witless, who does not concern himself with policy or tact. Some Trolls are even more intelligent than he, a rare low feat, even among the ranks of sniveling orcs. But, Bâzzog’s capabilities are unquestioned (for fear of painful death) since the orc lieutenant is unrivalled in strength among most orcs throughout Eriador. Bazzog is also arrogant, proud, and bombastic. He gets too jovial when drunk and too stern when sober, or the other way ‘round at night. His attitude is mostly sour, but he is mostly too simple to reflect any aspect of personality and can go for hours or days without saying (or thinking) anything.

HISTORY: Of his history, Bâzzog knows very little, and, just as he does about everything else, he doesn’t care. He knows that he was around for a while, but how long that while was is a mystery to him. His only recollection of the 29th century of the Third Age is bashing things. He remembers primarily clan wars between his cohorts and his foes, which was basically the same as all other wars he’d ever been involved in, except that he’d been crushing the skulls of his own kind and accidentally killed one of his clan’s chieftain (he was never too good at telling things apart. In fact, he once mistook a very large tree for a dragon). He participated in many inter-orc raids and skirmishes that occured along the west side of the Misty Mountains between his kind, the Mountain Orcs, and strayed orcs from the north who'd fled the Witch-King's desolated fortress of Carn Dűm. Despite a number of bizarre ‘accidents’ Bâzzog was again and again given leeway to wreak havoc on the orcs’ opposition, gaining more power by unfortunately mistaking several more members of the Misty Mountain orc hierarchy for loathsome Elves. He was given several commands of his own by powerful and venerable uruks in Gundabad and surrounding orc settlements, often loosing all his troops before resolving campaigns, but his losses seemed only to shed more of the limelight on him. He spent most of his leisure time raiding while he set up a lucrative conscription service at Mount Gundabad to enlist aid, run by his more intelligent cousin, Gráthborg.

At the time of the Battle of Five Armies Bâzzog was still in the Misty Mountains, taking orc companies on foraging and raiding expeditions. He was single-handedly responsible for a number of mannish settlements on the fringes of Bree-land (including Combe, Staddle, and Archet, three of Bree-lands four major towns) being burned, much to his credit, but still managed to lose all his mustered loot when a band of villainous warg-riding goblins happened to be pillaging the same settlement as he and his loyal men (who all duly routed when attacked). Bâzzog returned to the Mountains after more looting and gathering of some mementos only to find that some unfortunate incident had occurred there, which he never took the time to learn anything about. As the organization in Gundabad deteriorated, Bâzzog ventured westward, rather than north, south, or east where his raiding forays often took him, and found a final command, the one that he currently holds over an orcish company. The fear of him was great enough to 'earn' him a command position over a relatively small orcish host.

Last edited by Kransha; 09-04-2004 at 06:29 AM.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:35 PM   #49
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thank you, Dragon Elf, for responding.

Fordim, that's the cleverest-written bio I've ever seen! You had me laughing out loud. Arrald and Dym, eh? That's splendid.

Kransha, I'm sorry for not acknowledging you sooner. Somehow I missed seeing your earlier post. Excellent bio!

All of the bad guys, both orcs and trolls, are secondary characters. Envinyatar will PM the appropriate players as soon as we have an orc chieftain, which will be very soon. We hope.

~ Nuranar
Old 08-27-2004, 06:15 PM   #50
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

** BADDIE STILL NEEDED **

NOTE: No First Post required - just Character Description

** 1 Orc chieftain from The Misty Mountains who controls a troop of Orcs (the writer will play this group of Orcs.) **
Old 08-29-2004, 12:58 AM   #51
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dűm

Saurreg has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saurreg Send a message via MSN to Saurreg
Query.

I assume that Nuranar and Envinyatar have worked out the plot of the RPG and will be directing all posts along a linear storyline so that it will work out to what they planned for.

If all the villains of the RPG are taken up by individual writers, does it mean that they will have to correspond routinely with the game creators and post according to the two's directions? Or is this all a spontaneous, post-of-the-moment, we'll take it from there RPG?

I have participated in an online RPG before (different place, different forum) and sad to say the game master was quite a control freak. Things got so unpleasant that all six participants in that thread chose to kill off their characters midway through the game rather than continue.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:16 AM   #52
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Actually, it's more of a "we have a nebulous idea of what the 'baddies' are doing" but within that elastic framework, there is room for the bad guys to plot together on their own and throw a few curveballs at the good guys.

Once all the characters are on board I'll send all of the bad guys the original general idea we had for them - then you can all begin plotting the specifics - keeping me in the loop, of course, since I'm playing the mannish fellow in cahoots with you all.

Sound ok?

We need also to remember that we're looking at an 8 week playing time for the game - which really isn't very long. So the owners will keep the storyline moving along as we can to meet the deadline

- E -
Old 08-29-2004, 04:58 AM   #53
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dűm

Saurreg has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saurreg Send a message via MSN to Saurreg
Thanks Envinyatar.

Nice to know there'll be adults keeping us on the right path, but not clamping our hands in tight vices. Free-reign posting with adult supervision. I like that.

I will PM you and Nuranar soon and we can discuss why (Nuranar has given me good ideas) and how (that's the problem now) a concerned farmer from Bree meets up with the investigators.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:11 AM   #54
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurreg
Thanks Envinyatar.

Nice to know there'll be adults keeping us on the right path, but not clamping our hands in tight vices. Free-reign posting with adult supervision. I like that.

I will PM you and Nuranar soon and we can discuss why (Nuranar has given me good ideas) and how (that's the problem now) a concerned farmer from Bree meets up with the investigators.
One must remember, Saurreg, that it's not always adult supervision (unless you count pio and Child of the 7th Age). There is no age requirement for Game Owners, and I have known some very good underage ones. Don't think of it as 'adult supervision,' think of it as 'someone making sure you don't do stupid things.' That's the bluntest I can put it...I think...*contemplates bluntness*

Envinyatar, Nuranar, is there a back-up plan in case the #1 Orc Chieftain character isn't taken up by any writer?

Old 08-29-2004, 01:49 PM   #55
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Very well put, Envinyatar. Many thanks!

As far as adults go... Well, in this context, I'd say that being "adult" is certainly more a behavior thing than an age thing. Come to think of it, that applies in any context. But yes, the idea is to have someone "in charge" so we don't meander all over the map of Middle-earth for the next 8 months.

Think of it as much as a game "facilitator" as an "owner." But it's like a chain of command, or military rank: The authority is there, to back up in case suggestions and hints don't work. The hope is that no one'll need to "pull rank," but if there's a need, the authority's there.

Not that being "in charge" means one necessarily has all the answers. Back up plan? Um, Envinyatar?

Keep in mind, though, we're not starting until September 8. That's what, a week and a half to go? This thread has been open scarcely that long, and see how many people have signed on!

Don't give up the ship. Carry on!

Nuranar
Old 08-29-2004, 09:57 PM   #56
Sarin Mithrilanger
Animated Skeleton

Sarin Mithrilanger has just left Hobbiton.
Orc Chieftan

Character Description Form:

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – YES. THE LAND OF DARKNESS.

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? ONE.

List them, please: THE LAND OF DARKNESS.

Please note you may play in only 2 (TWO) Shire games at one time. Exceptions to this may be made for this on a case by case basis by the Shire Moderators. (The Green Dragon Inn DOES NOT count as a game for this.)

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn – YES.

For your character please include:

NAME: Ugwakh the Slobberer

RACE: Orc

WEAPONS: 1 Great Sword (pulled off a human victim), one shortbow, 1 orc scimitar

APPEARANCE: His dark skinned face is marked by a self-inflicted cut on his forehead. the cut resembles a lidless eye.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: He is quick tempered and has no problem cutting down an unruley underling. His troops know to follow orders without speaking and will follow his orders even until death, because to fail him is to recieve a gift worse than death. He rarely makes alaborate strategic plans due to his "brawn over brains" mentality.

HISTORY: He has served Sauron well and has seen the benefits and downfalls. He has served in His army his entire life. (Or as much as he can remember.) During the Battle of the Five armies he was in Mordor, and led a successful campaign in capturing slaves for Him.

Last edited by Sarin Mithrilanger; 08-29-2004 at 11:46 PM.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:46 AM   #57
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Please Note:

Sarin Mithrilanger would like to drop the troll character and pick up the Orc Chieftain. If you will accept this - I can find someone to pick up the Troll character.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio
Old 08-30-2004, 02:27 AM   #58
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

That's fine with me, if it's alright with Nuranar.

- E -
Old 08-30-2004, 07:41 AM   #59
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

It's great with me. Thanks, Sarin!
Old 08-31-2004, 01:51 AM   #60
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
Sting

Actually I have a query.

The storyline goes that 3 members of the fellowship will be injured.

so are Nuranar and Envinyatar going to decide who gets injured or will it be the bad guys decision or our own gamers decision??
Old 08-31-2004, 03:26 PM   #61
Primrose Bolger
Wight

Primrose Bolger has just left Hobbiton.
I would like to be considered for the available Troll character. And if you don't mind, I've brought along an additional Troll brother.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Character Description Form:

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – NO

2.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn – YES

NAME: Grimm

RACE: Hill Troll

WEAPONS: Iron-headed Hammer on a long stout handle

APPEARANCE:

Bald all over. Eyes black and small in a large CroMagnon face with scaly, no hair overhanging ledges for eye brows. A few inches taller than the average Dunadan; massively muscled. Picture TV wrestler minus the spandex – on second thought, picture TV wrestler minus the spandex but with a ragged, rough leather kilt of sorts and appropriate troll undies covering the necessary parts. Skin is a bit dark-greyish, basalt colored, and is made up of overlapping scales – giving the overall picture of a rather large lizard of some sort.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES:

Quick to anger and ready for a fight at the drop of a hat, hanky, or ripe apple. Territorial. Not given to quick thinking or deep thinking of the 'phillysophikul' sort at all. Often easily gulled into cooperation by those with an ounce more brains if it means getting to swing his hammer about and bash skulls. But said brainy leaders need be careful not to cross this hyper-reactive fellow. He has the small cunning brain of a greedy thief and the brawn to back whatever plan he devises.

HISTORY:

One of number of Hill Trolls that advanced upon the Captains of the West from the Morannon. He and his brother, Broga the Basher, fled north and west after the fall of their last leader and now find themselves scavenging the area bounded by Carn Dum, The Ettenmoors, and The North Downs. Pickings were few right after the war – a wandering sheep or so, the stray lone traveler, and even the odd goblin here and there. But now with the advent of the King’s Peace, business has picked up . . .

--------

NAME: Broga the Basher

RACE: Hill Troll

WEAPONS: Thick oak club

APPEARANCE: Looks much like his brother, except that he did get the hair, black and scraggly, in the family. Wears a number of wolf skins crudely sewn together and held up by a fetching strap across one shoulder, rather like THIS .

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Much like his brother. Though, amazingly, Grimm has a tad more reasoning skills than Broga. And so we find little brother always at the ready to follow Grimm’s lead and back him up quite capably with fists and club.

HISTORY: (See Grimm’s)
. . . for they love peace and quiet and good tilled earth . . . are quick of hearing and sharpeyed, and though they are inclined to be fat and do not hurry unneccesarily, they are nonetheless nimble and deft in their movements . . . FOTR - Prologue

Last edited by Primrose Bolger; 09-10-2004 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:38 AM   #62
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

rutslegolas

The players can volunteer to have their characters injured when the time comes.

--------------------------------------------

Primrose

You Troll characters look good to me! Let's see what Nuranar has to say.

- E -
Old 09-02-2004, 07:01 AM   #63
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
Sting

thanks Envinyatar , eagerly waiting to start the RPG.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:51 AM   #64
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas, Envinyatar's right - we'll figure it out when the time comes. It may be a matter of just volunteering, or we may see the way our personality dynamics have worked out. It will make more sense for one character to be wounded than another; it may also make a better story. We'll see. The point remains, though, that this isn't tightly scripted.

Primrose! Sorry for the delay. Your troll is great! (As is the description - you had me giggling here in the computer lab.) Grimm and Broga will fit in very well indeed. Now our quota is filled! Envinyatar, may I trouble you to PM the baddies?

Remember, we are scheduled to open on September 8, next Wednesday. (Or will it be Thursday, to make sure the other game closes?) Be ready.

Carry on!

Nuranar
Old 09-02-2004, 11:24 AM   #65
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

I'll be PM'ing the baddies in a few days - Nuranar and I are still working on a last minute revision.

- E -
Old 09-02-2004, 12:33 PM   #66
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Nuranar/Envinyatar

Please look at the First Posts for the above characters (Your first 4 posts are HERE on the RPG Thread already).

Leave a list here on the Discusiion thread, by Player Name, of how you would like the rest of the posts arranged.

Once that is done, I'll transfer the posts, and the game can open when Kransha and Fordim have finished with the "Bloodstained Elanor RPG".

Thanks!

~*~ Pio, Game Moderator
Old 09-02-2004, 03:44 PM   #67
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Sorry about this - but I am reading the two posts for the Rangers who are heading to Bree/The Prancing Pony:

Thoronmir (Meneltarmacil) has already stated in his post that he hears a noise, and calls his companion's attention to it.

Dragon Elf

Can you revise your post so that your character Menecar responds to Ranger Thoronmir's observation that: "We're not alone . . ."

-----------------------

Or have I completely misunderstood, and the both of you are traveling by yourselves with another Ranger companion accompanying you?

You could revise in this manner -

Dragon Elf odin Ragnorock's post

After a semi peaceful night Menecar woke up to the sound of birds chirping and a great day for traveling with his companion. It was a peaceful day has begun with the sun shining through the trees. They had a half a days travel by horse to Bree left to go.

“Do you think that there will be people waiting for us to arrive at the Prancing Pony?” asked Menecar’s companion.

“I think there would be. I don’t think that King Elessar would let two Rangers do this alone,” said Menecar.

Suddenly Menecar heard the sound of leaves moving in the woods. He stopped to listen, and to see if he heard the sound again. Sure enough there it was again, but it sounded louder as if the thing or things were getting closer. He looks over at his companion to see if he heard the same sound. He does indeed look as if he has. Menecar rode over to him and says, “Did you hear the sound of leaves?”

“Yes, indeed.”

“The sound,” whispers Menecar “is drawing closer.”

One last question for both Dragon Elf and Meneltarmacil:

What is the source for your sound? Is it something that will delay your arrival at the Inn?
Old 09-03-2004, 11:56 AM   #68
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

I have two things to say here:

First, my computer at home won't let me log on to the site (it accepts my username and password, but kicks me off whenever I try to go to a different part of the site) so I am currently on one of the computers at my library. I don't know how often I'll be able to post. Don't kick me off the RPG though, I think I'll either be able to work out a way to get to the library a couple times a week or have my computer fixed by the time the game begins.

Second, the noise. That was going to be an ambush by a group of orcs that Menecar and I would fight off before arriving at the Inn, but if that doesn't work, I'll just make it some kind of animal.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:02 PM   #69
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield Time to clean house!

There's a couple things I'd like to address before we get going.

1. Everyone please check the discussion and game threads at least once a day if possible. As Envinyatar said earlier, this is only an 8-week game and we'll need to keep things going. If you don't check in for three days, say, things could really have moved fast, and your character will not be participating.

2. Primary characters, please post on the story thread at least twice a week. That's only a minimum; depending on how the story's going, you may have opportunity (or need!) to post more often than that. You baddies may not need to post so often; we'll see how the planning goes on that.

3. Everyone please give advance notice on this discussion thread when you won't be able to check in: if you're out of town, or if your computer's being a pain.
If we know you'll be camping, say, for three days at the end of September, we can "carry" your character along: include him/her in what we're writing. But if we don't know you're gone, it's very uncertain and can hold the game up.

4. Please write descriptive posts! I believe the minimum, per Shire rules, is two paragraphs of two sentences each. (Pio?) But that is the absolute minimum. This isn't TV: If you don't write what your character looks like, what the scene looks like, what things sound like, taste like, feel like, no one's going to know all that stuff. That's what good writing does: It creates a scene in the reader's mind.

I probably should have put this up earlier; I apologize. If anyone's going to have difficulties with anything, please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks!

~ Nuranar
Old 09-03-2004, 12:15 PM   #70
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

It looks like we cross-posted slightly, Meneltarmacil. Thanks for the heads-up! Please check your PM's.

Alaksoron

Dragon Elf

Saurreg

Please check your PM's.

~ Nuranar

Last edited by Nuranar; 09-03-2004 at 12:16 PM. Reason: messed up the bold tags
Old 09-03-2004, 12:46 PM   #71
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Well, I did manage to get the other computer in my house working, although it is infested with pop-ups and junk and moves a lot slower than it should, it does at least let me post on the Downs... I think. So I will be able to check on the RPG and post until I find out what the problem is.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:04 PM   #72
Alaksoron
Haunting Spirit

Sting

I went back and edited my character bio as Nuranar requested, extending the descriptions and taking the oppurtunity to change a few things. I invite all commmited game players to go back and read what I have changed, so you know what kind of character will be your companion (good guys) and your opponent (baddies).
Old 09-03-2004, 02:30 PM   #73
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Oh, forgot one thing: Yes, Dragon Elf and I were referring to each other's characters in our posts. So no, we don't have any unnamed companions.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:55 PM   #74
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Excellent work, Alaksoron. I have a very clear picture of Osric now.

Thank you, Meneltarmacil. Would you be able to resolve the orc fight? Then bring the Rangers to the Pony? Please see Envinyatar's post for Fen Shepherdspurse, at the beginning of this thread. In it he shows the Rangers in the Prancing Pony, waiting for the others to arrive.

~ Nuranar
Old 09-03-2004, 09:16 PM   #75
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Final List: Please note Kransha and Sarin Mithrilanger have exchanged Orc roles.

~*~ Pio

Character/Player: Character Name List

Ranger of the North - Envinyatar: Veryadan
Ranger of the North – Meneltarmacil: Thoronmir
Ranger of the North – Dragon Elf: Menecar

~*~

Rivendell Elves - Nuranar: Tarondo, male; Luinien, female
Rivendell Elf, male – rutslegolas: Aidwain Longleaf
Rivendell Elf, female – Esgallhugwen: Silrűth

~*~

Farmer from Bree – Saurreg: Andas Loudewater
Man of Rohan - Alaksoron: Osric Falkur

---------------

Orc chieftain from The Misty Mountains - Kransha: Bâzzog the Atrocious
Second in command to the Orc chieftain - Sarin Mithrilanger: Ugwakh the Slobberer

~*~

Trolls - Primrose Bolger: Grimm; Broga the Basher
Trolls - Fordim Hedgethistle: Arrald; Dym

~*~

Bad Man from Bree-land - Envinyatar: Fen Sheperdspurse
Old 09-03-2004, 09:28 PM   #76
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

I'll do the fight with the orcs and the rest of the trip to Bree, and will be at the Inn by the end of that post.

I'll be out of town starting tomorrow morning and won't be back until about 1:00 on Monday, so I won't be able to respond to anything until then.

Hmm, only about 10 posts until I'm a Ghost Prince of Cardolan...
Old 09-03-2004, 10:28 PM   #77
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thanks for the update, Pio.

That'll be perfect, Meneltarmacil. And thanks for letting us know you'll be gone. Enjoy yourself!

~ Nuranar
Old 09-04-2004, 09:54 AM   #78
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield

The below post comes after Alaksoron's and before those of the two Elves - rutslegolas and Esgallhugwen. Alaksoron, if you have any comments/problems with how I've handled your character, just let me know.

Quote:
Tarondo did not answer at once, evaluating what he saw. The man was carrying a bow, and a sword hung at his side. Both weapons showed much use. Osric’s voice was low but clear, and his eyes gazed back steadily at the Elf, with just a hint of challenge. He had made his offer and would not beg.

“The services of the Rohirrim will always be valued by the King,” Tarondo said at length. “Come, I will introduce you to my companions, and you shall tell us about yourself.”

They joined Veryadan and Luinien, who were surprised to see Tarondo with a companion but pleased to learn of his volunteering. After a brief council Osric Falkur’s assistance was accepted. After Osric gathered what he needed, the four rode on together.

All through the long, lonely lands past the Gap of Rohan Osric demonstrated himself to be a brave and skillful soldier. The details of their errand intrigued him, and he spent many hours discussing all the possibilities of what they would find, and how they would need to respond to all of them. Tarondo listened with interest (and maybe a hidden smile) but rarely participated, while Luinien was as eager to theorize as the man himself. She had not entirely given up hope of seeing a dragon.

In due course they crossed the Greyflood at Tharbad, where they intended to stay the night at The Trade Inn. This would be their first good chance of hearing recent news. As they dismounted and walked up the path to the inn, Veryadan was not without hope that some of the Rangers would be waiting for them.
Oh, Alaksoron, I noticed one tiny thing as I was writing this post. In your revised profile you say that Osric has black hair. Tolkien indicated that the Rohirrim, as a people, are fair-haired. I hate to ask it again, but you've been so willing in the past - would you please change that? If you really want him to have dark hair, we might be able to work it; but I can't see that he'd still be a full-blooded man of Rohan. Thank you so much!

Carry on,

Nuranar
Old 09-04-2004, 10:12 AM   #79
Alaksoron
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Nuranar, don't worry, I have no problem with the way you handled my character. And yes, I will fix the colour of Osric's hair. I feel that one should not join an RPG unless they are willing to mold their character to fit where needed. After all, we're all in this together, right?
Old 09-04-2004, 01:37 PM   #80
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Question

Dragon Elf odin Ragnorock

Please look at Envinyatar's post #67 above:

He asked if you would revise your First Post and gave you an example of how it might be done:

Quote:
Dragon Elf odin Ragnorock's post --- REVISED

After a semi peaceful night Menecar woke up to the sound of birds chirping and a great day for traveling with his companion. It was a peaceful day has begun with the sun shining through the trees. They had a half a days travel by horse to Bree left to go.

“Do you think that there will be people waiting for us to arrive at the Prancing Pony?” asked Menecar’s companion.

“I think there would be. I don’t think that King Elessar would let two Rangers do this alone,” said Menecar.

Suddenly Menecar heard the sound of leaves moving in the woods. He stopped to listen, and to see if he heard the sound again. Sure enough there it was again, but it sounded louder as if the thing or things were getting closer. He looks over at his companion to see if he heard the same sound. He does indeed look as if he has. Menecar rode over to him and says, “Did you hear the sound of leaves?”

“Yes, indeed.”

“The sound,” whispers Menecar “is drawing closer.”
Is this OK with you? Or can you go back to your original post and make the changes that are necessary so that your post and Menltarmacil's fit together better. (Meneltarmacil's post will come first on the game thread - yours needs to pick up on his from what he's said in it.)

Thanks!

~*~ Pio, Game Moderator

Last edited by piosenniel; 09-05-2004 at 01:20 AM.