The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-15-2002, 06:17 PM   #1
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting maps, maps, maps yay!

woo-hoo! just bought the 'journeies of frodo' (or some title like that, can't remember it exactly right now)

Very very handy - 51 superb maps detailing the entire journal during lord of the rings - not just Frodo, mind, the whole fellowship *grins*

strongly recommended.

apologies if i should stick this somewhere else, am tired and scooting off to bed now. rather wired as is usual.

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

kisses and blessings. xx
Old 03-15-2002, 07:08 PM   #2
Galdor
Pile O'Bones

Location: Look up. Yeah, in the big tree. No, the one to the right.
Galdor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey, sounds nifty. Where did ya get it?
Old 03-15-2002, 11:00 PM   #3
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Enedhil - are you speaking of 'The Atlas of Middle Earth'? if so, that was a great book for a map loving hobbit!

if it's some other book of maps, could you please let me know the author? i love maps!
Old 03-16-2002, 09:36 AM   #4
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maps??? Where??? Gimme! Gimme! Pleeeezzzee!
Where'd ya get 'em, cause I would like some!
Cool! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2002, 03:43 PM   #5
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

Yeah, I saw that today when I went shopping - looks cool, I'll put it on my birthday list! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 05:21 PM   #6
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I bought it in Waterstones (- big book shop). It's by Barbaba Strachey (methinks) 8.99 RRP. 'Twas in a 3-for-2 book offer, so got that, 'tales from the perilous realm' and an Agatha Christie book for me mam. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I don't think it was the Atlas of Middle Earth, but I think that was there too.

Oh, I also bought the chronicles of Narnia in one large book - yay! I now have about 7 or 8 books to read an am still trudging through the Silm. Well, sorta trudging. Kinda taking a rest on a nice green hill right now [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2002, 05:25 PM   #7
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yay, I love that book. I had it as a birthday present years ago, I've always loved maps. Apparently the author isn't a geographer or an artist, but a fan who was so keen to have detailed maps that she did her own. She has been very thorough, and researched all the tiny details. I'd join in with the others in recommending it.
Old 03-24-2003, 03:48 PM   #8
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Journeys of frodo is a pretty rare OOP edition from many years back, unless it has been re-released for the movies [ for which it would be woefully in accurate [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ].

Enjoy!
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 05:23 PM   #9
gralin musicteeth
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Tossing half-sick between grotesque reality and savage, frightening dreams
gralin musicteeth has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

The Journeys of Frodo has been re-published, I saw it at Chapters the other day. $38?! Too rich for my blood! Christmas is coming...
I did take the opportunity to leaf through it though, I was almost to Rivendell when the store closed. Oh well. Very interesting.
Old 03-24-2003, 05:24 PM   #10
gralin musicteeth
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Tossing half-sick between grotesque reality and savage, frightening dreams
gralin musicteeth has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Oh! and on the subject of maps, I found a really sweet one of the Undying Lands on a website somewhere, but now I can't find it. Anyone else seen it?
Old 03-24-2003, 06:01 PM   #11
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

I am rather into the 'gaming', ie: TCGs, RPGs, etc., and I am looking in on table top battles and miniatures, though I believe I lack the artistic skill...Anyway, I have recently purchased a set of maps that accompany the roleplaying game by Decipher. It comes with six 17" x 22" maps of:
  • The Shire
    West Gondor
    East Gondor
    Rohan
    Eregion
    Mordor

They are quite fancy with the age affect and elvish and other languages scrawled around in a border, and fancy lettering. Really quite awesome. I only wish the backs weren't bleach white... I also like The Atlas of Middle Earth, wish I owned it, but, it's almost always available at my library *mumbles* unlike some other books that are MISSING! Oh yes, the set also comes with an atlas, giving an explanation about all the regions (that is already in the roleplaying rulebook), but it also seperates each map into sections and gives you what section on what map each region is.

Gee, I sounded smart, didn't I? I like maps, need all the help I can get with knowing where things are. I sware, I'm can't wait till I can drive, and yet, I dread what might happen to me! Lost, and on my way to Micky D's! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote