The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2006, 10:15 PM   #1
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The Eye Tol-in-Gaurhoth XIX: Ang Sagang Daga, bow.

It has been a fortday and a fortnight since the Prophet Nilpaurion ascended the cloud-crowned heights to obtain the 'rules' from the Mod God himself. The villagers watched the spectacle, betting among themselves whether Nilp would still come back or not. A few of the hardy ones (stalkers, if truth be known) dared to climb the mountain after the Prophet, but were turned back when bolts of lightning came down from the clouds surrounding the mountain.

Ened-in-Nowhere would have been a shocking sight for an Atani from beyond the village, a Man who had lived in a time when the golden ship of Arien had scarce a hundred years of sailing in the firmament. But this was no ordinary village; many of the rules of Physics and morality were allowed to be bent, even broken, so long as it was written in an italic fashion. But this was about to change.

Slowly, the mists surrounding the mountain dispersed, and the figure of the Prophet can be seen. In his hand were two stone tablets. He stopped short of the foot of the mountain, raised the tablets, and cried:

'Hear now, O villagers of Ened-in-Nowhere, the laws from our Mod God.

'There shall be two phases in this game: DAY and NIGHT. By the DAY every villager shall talk among themselves in public, and cast their vote. The person who receives the most votes shall be lynched. The Mod God shall allow two persons to be lynched in a DAY, but not more. If three or more persons are up for lynching, the first two to get the highest number of votes shall be consumed by fire from Menel.

'Votes shall be cast in this manner:

'++Meneltarmacil

'Votes must be in a separate line. Unlike the Mod God, his Prophet is not all-seeing.

'By NIGHT the thread is closed to all but the Prophet of the Mod God and anyone to whom he gives permission to post.

'You shall have four Werewolves in this village, and they may talk among themselves DAY and NIGHT. At NIGHT, they shall kill one of the villagers. The Werewolves shall win if their numbers equal the number of the remaining villagers, unless the Lovers are still alive.

'You shall have two Lovers in this village, one from the ranks of the villagers, and one from the Werewolves. They shall PM each other but once during the DAY and once during the NIGHT, for their love is a secret love, and a deadly one. The Lovers will die together--if one is lynched, or killed by the Werewolves, or struck dead by the Mod God, the other shall join him in the gloom of underworld. They shall win if they are left together with but one person, be the survivor innocent or guilty.

'You shall have two Seers in this village, and they may talk among themselves DAY and NIGHT. At NIGHT, they shall dream of a villager, and his true aspect shall be revealed to them, save the role of the Lovers. The Werewolf/Lover they shall see only as a Werewolf, and the Ordinary Villager/Lover they shall see only as an Ordinary Villager.

'All out-of-character comments, regarding absences, discussion of rules, usw, must be placed in the original Tol-in-Gaurhoth thread.

'Death to anyone who goes absent for a whole DAY without prior notice, unless he redeems his life by giving the Prophet a very good excuse for his absence.

'Death to anyone who does not vote for three DAYs.

'Death to anyone who does not post for three DAYs, be his absences excused or not.

'Here is the full census of the village:
dancing spawn of ungoliant, a laundress
Kath, a turtle-farmer
Lhunardawen, a Dark Elf (literally)
Caranlondien, a lumberjack
tar-ancalime, a witch
Cailín, the town gossip
Celuien, a psychiatrist
Naria, a midwife who goes ever so slightly mad with each birth
Valier, a small, sweet sheep-shearer
Lalaith, a rich young widow
Thinlómien, a mushroom-picker
Garin, the town surgeon and barber
Formendacil, an unemployed person
littlemanpoet, a stone-cutter
Glirdan, an unemployed person
Farael, an escaped mental asylum internee who suffers from chronic suicidal tendency and conspiracy theories
Anguirel, a wood-madman
Eomer of the Rohirrim, the royal musician
Gurthang, an arrowsmith
the guy who be short, a Nilp fan, stalker and impersonator, also a fisherman
Eonwe, a wayfaring stranger
SamwiseGamgee, the town bank manager
'Remember the invisible mode, and keep the box ticked.

'It is now a NIGHT. The Mod God expects a name from the Seers. DAY shall begin tomorrow, 8:30am GMT.'

Last edited by Nilpaurion Felagund; 03-16-2006 at 05:19 AM.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:41 AM   #2
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The Eye The First DAY

The golden sap of the dead Laurelin, borne in the vessel of the Maia of Fire, tinged the peaks of the mountains of the East. Ened-in-Nowhere slowly stirred from its previous NIGHT's slumber. dancing spawn of ungoliant hastened to Nilpaurion Felagund's hut, wishing to apologise for her absence in their nightly stargazing. The laundry of the rich young widow, Lalaith, had taken her a long time to finish. At the threshold of his hut, she stopped dead in her tracks, for she had heard weeping inside the hut. She opened a crack, peered in, and saw the guy who be short inside, his beard torn off and scattered all around him. His was the sob the laundress had heard. She opened the door, and was to ask him what he was crying about, when she saw from the corner her eye Nilpaurion. She shrieked and fainted.

When she had regained consciousness, all the villagers had gathered to the Prophet's hut, inspecting the grisly scene before them. The Prophet was dangling from the ceiling. Around his neck was loop of rope. On the rope was the label 'XVI.' His body was pierced with pitchforks (labelled IV) and beaten with sticks (labelled VII). On the wall behind him was written the following:
++Nilpaurion Felagund

++Nilpaurion Felagund

++Nilpaurion Felagund

++Nilpaurion Felagund

++Nilpaurion Felagund

Adam!
'Werewolves had lynched him,' tar-ancalime, the witch, divined, 'Four Werewolves, and an alter-ego, to be precise.'

the guy who be short wailed loudly. He had taken one of the pitchforks and was now hugging it as he cried. dancing spawn of ungoliant said:

'So, he's dead. I have to die, too, right?'

The stomachs of Cailín and Lhunardawen turned at that statement. Eomer of the Rohirrim answered the laundress:

'Nay, Lady Spawnowen. The Mod God had commanded that his prophet and a player cannot be the Lovers.'

'Dommage,' she muttered. 'Let's get these Werewolves, then.'

The scroll of the census was changed:
Nilpaurion Felagund, the Prophet of the Mod God, was lynched by suspicious means on the first NIGHT.

Those alive are:

dancing spawn of ungoliant, a laundress
Kath, a turtle-farmer
Lhunardawen, a Dark Elf (literally)
Caranlondien, a lumberjack
tar-ancalime, a witch
Cailín, the town gossip
Celuien, a psychiatrist
Naria, a midwife who goes ever so slightly mad with each birth
Valier, a small, sweet sheep-shearer
Lalaith, a rich young widow
Thinlómien, a mushroom-picker
Garin, the town surgeon and barber
Formendacil, an unemployed person
littlemanpoet, a stone-cutter
Glirdan, an unemployed person
Farael, an escaped mental asylum internee who suffers from chronic suicidal tendency and conspiracy theories
Anguirel, a wood-madman
Eomer of the Rohirrim, the royal musician
Gurthang, an arrowsmith
the guy who be short, a Nilp fan, stalker and impersonator, also a fisherman
Eonwe, a wayfaring stranger
SamwiseGamgee, the town bank manager

Last edited by Nilpaurion Felagund; 03-16-2006 at 05:23 AM.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:03 AM   #3
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril After a long while of trying to suppress her turning stomach...

The Prophet lynched! Deliver us, oh ModErutor God!

My deepest condolences, fair dancing spawn. I pray that you do not succumb to your sorrow and go suicidal as his ancestors once did; instead gather your strength and courage. We shall avenge his death.

Now before anything else I want to make my occupation of Dark Elf (literally) clear. Think me not a spawn of Morgoth...that's just my skin color! Honest!

With that aside...If I may suggest, please try your darndest not to spread your votes too much. Day Ones, though worthy of 's, tell us much later on, and they would be more helpful in tracking voting patterns if the votes are not cast against half the village on the first Day. It makes sense, trust me.

And let us be very careful with the law of the double lynching.

Hmm...I think we should look at one such daga'y in our village. He could have been too enamored of our dear Prophet until it came to a point that he wanted to be Nilp himself and so killed him.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 03-15-2006 at 03:30 AM. Reason: inspiration ;)
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:32 AM   #4
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
A grievous morning indeed. I have taken the stricken tgwbs to my cottage and given him comfrey tea for the shock. I hope he will find the strength to join us soon.

I too have a suggestion.
Ened-in-Nowhere is a big village, the most numerous, I believe, to be found anywhere in Hildorien. Some of us like to speak, others do not.
I would urge, especially in these early stages when so many of us are still here - that the quiet speak out at least a little, but that the naturally eloquent temper their urges to speak at great length.
Those of us who are innocent and truly wish to comb the evidence for clues, may find screeds and screeds of posts overwhelming. And the quietly guilty may easily hide amidst general loudmouth clamour.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:39 AM   #5
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
Werewolves in our town? And four of them, no less? A secret love? Nilpaurion dead and Dancing Spawn in disarray? Oh, how perfectly delightful! I mean - horrible of course, absolutely dreadful. Yes, yes, too bad everyone already knows, huh?

Though I might have some other interesting titbits to share. For example, I'm not entirely sure whether Spawn is not simply faking her grief. She always lets her window open at night, silly girl, maybe hoping something furry will sneak in? And how about dear Lalaith - the circumstances of her husband's death were vague, we all know this.

And if I'd tell you all I know about Eonwe… and Farael… oh you would shudder, I promise you!

Anyway - Lalaith and Lhuna both make good points. Though seriously, you cannot truly expect one such as myself to be quiet after such a wondrous, terrible tragedy?
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:47 AM   #6
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
A grievous event for our village. Our dear prophet is dead. May his spirit get rest.

And Lalaith you say we shouldn't babble. That might be true, though I'm not sure if I agree with you. It's true that evidence is more difficult to find from a post flood, but we should keep in mind that loudmouth wolves more probably slip something than non-loudmouths. Anyway, your request is reasonable because if everybody posts as much as I did in my previous ww, no one can manage reading even through one day. So I'd like to change Lalaith's advice a bit: speak enough that you can slip (especially wolves) but don't speak too much to flood the village with your babbling.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 06:16 AM   #7
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Woe is me! Poor Nilpaurion. My heart cries blood, I have no reason to carry on my life. I think I'll go drowning myself in my washtub...

Or maybe I'll just try my best to find the horrible beasts. Yes, that sounds better. That said, Lhunardawen and Cailín, you may wash the vomit off your clothes by yourselves. Now (I quote myself): "Let's get these Werewolves, then."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhuna
With that aside...If I may suggest, please try your darndest not to spread your votes too much. Day Ones, though worthy of 's, tell us much later on, and they would be more helpful in tracking voting patterns if the votes are not cast against half the village on the first Day. It makes sense, trust me.
I agree that Day 1s aren't just full of random blabbering, but they can prove useful as the days pass. However, with a village of 18 innocents and four wolves, it's possible (if not probable) that no wolf receives a single vote toDay. As you said, we may not want to spread the votes too wide, but basically, I think people should vote for the person they find the most suspicious. Maybe it would be better to get back to the voting issue when its time comes and concentrate on finding clues of possible wolvish behaviour for now, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
Ened-in-Nowhere is a big village, the most numerous, I believe, to be found anywhere in Hildorien. Some of us like to speak, others do not.
I would urge, especially in these early stages when so many of us are still here - that the quiet speak out at least a little, but that the naturally eloquent temper their urges to speak at great length.
Those of us who are innocent and truly wish to comb the evidence for clues, may find screeds and screeds of posts overwhelming. And the quietly guilty may easily hide amidst general loudmouth clamour.
Well, it's good that you want to help the quieter ones, but I'm afraid that asking the louder villagers to hold back will make it easier for the possible loudmouth wolves to hide. I don't think honest analyzing and debating in the usual manner will hinder us in our wolf hunt even if it was rather page consuming.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:34 AM   #8
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn
As you said, we may not want to spread the votes too wide, but basically, I think people should vote for the person they find the most suspicious.
I would like to add that the same might go with bandwagoners. Bandwagoning is considered a low crime, but really I think it is a worse crime not to vote the one you suspect solely because of avoiding bandwagoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn
Well, it's good that you want to help the quieter ones, but I'm afraid that asking the louder villagers to hold back will make it easier for the possible loudmouth wolves to hide. I don't think honest analyzing and debating in the usual manner will hinder us in our wolf hunt even if it was rather page consuming.
I thought about that issue, but somehow didn't think that hiding aspect. Anyway, I agree with you.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:48 AM   #9
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well, it is basically thus:

There are now five (and perhaps seven, but we cannot be sure) people who know more than the rest of us. They each have a hidden agenda: the wolves will wish to see as many innocents lynched as possible, while the Lovers are more pre-occupied with protecting each other. Their accusations may be random, but their voting will not be.

With a traitor in their midst, the wolves will be more on guard as usual. I think they may fear to cast wolf on wolf votes in case one of them is immediately suspected as being the treacherous one. However, they may have agreed on a different strategy that we are unaware of. Whatever the scenario, I think we cannot count on the assistance of WereRomeo / WereJulia. Chances are the wolves will figure out the identity of the Lovers far before we do - so I suppose we should be focusing on finding the wolves instead.

I feel like I'm rambling a little, but I am just trying to get my thoughts on screen. Call me pessimistic, but it is probable an innocent will die today. Let's in any case avoid making it two!

On a lighter note, did you know Thinlomien has been seeing Celuien lately? Hmm, I wonder what that's all about. Also, some little bird told me Valier doesn't merely shear sheep, if you get my meaning. And though Formendacil and Glirdan seem innocently unemployed, I do seriously wonder how they got such comfortable living arrangements anyway, huh?
Old 03-15-2006, 06:59 AM   #10
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Now... the time has already come for me to vote.

++LALAITH

Because she is young, rich and beautiful and I just can't stand it.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:02 AM   #11
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailín
On a lighter note, did you know Thinlomien has been seeing Celuien lately?
Have I?
Are you hinting a wolf or a seer union? For surely we can't be lesbian lovers...
Old 03-15-2006, 08:22 AM   #12
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Poor Nilp. We were just beginning to make progress on his strange psychiatric condition. Sadly, it appears that he remained suicidal, or at least the personality known as Adam did. A tragedy.

Quote:
On a lighter note, did you know Thinlomien has been seeing Celuien lately?
Thinlomien's visits are, of course, protected by patient confidentiality. I cannot disclose their content without risking my license to practice psychiatry. However, I am permitted to self-disclose information about my psychiatric condition and can say that I have no psychic powers, delusions of grandeur, or any type of romantic involvements.

Speaking of the Lovers, I agree that the Wolves will probably spot them first. Or at least the Wolf of the pair. So if anyone comes out strongly against one of our villagers, it could be a wolf turning against a suspected traitor. Just something to consider. And I'll be on the lookout for pairs.

My office will remain open late for anyone wishing to discuss paranoia, depression or other difficulties related to our current situation. However, I'll have to go back to my office for a few hours before rejoining the village discussion.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:25 AM   #13
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Graagh! Ha, raagh! The time is upon us! I come from the woods to sing to you, o despised bluebells.

Many have spoken of Wolfen. But I do not fear the Wolfen-ones, any more than I shudder before the darts of their insidiously irritating allies, the Cavalry of the Nation of Hedgehogs. Them shall I slay with my wood-axe and my abstruse cunning. Ha ha!

Nay, that which I fear is Love. Yea, yea, hearken unto me, tis Love which does destroy us! We must purge this place of all Love!

I detest you all! Ye of lesser mind, who have mocked at my utterances!

Ah, that feels so much better. Now I shall go off for a while, and I shall return with a sack of slain Hedgehog Warriors to prove my prowess.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:27 AM   #14
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Or perhaps my love is entirely casual...

Yes, I can get away with that sort of thing and remain righteous and proper: for I have the King's favour. One law for the rich and all that — my dear SamwiseGamgee will understand this well. Of course we should not lynch such an integral part of the community as our good bank manager.

Neither should we lynch Lhunardawen — yet, though probability theory dictates unpleasant news for that pretty little elf.

And keep harping on about how Day One doesn't tell us anything: for though you be wrong it may lead to interesting responses from the village as a whole.

Doesn't tell us anything, HA! Simpletons! Thou wouldst never echo the music of Maglor to a grand audience.

I will immediately propose that we do not lynch me as I am linked to the monarchy; and everyone knows that royal sorts are more trustworthy than normal folks.

I'm also innocent.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:52 AM   #15
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
This is a sad day. More so for Spawn then for the rest of us. May Nilp rest in peace.

Quote:
And though Formendacil and Glirdan seem innocently unemployed, I do seriously wonder how they got such comfortable living arrangements anyway, huh? (Cailín)
What do you mean by "comfortable living arrangements"? I live in a hut with one room!! It's a veery enclosed area I must say and I get chlostrophobic in small areas. So don't go talking to me about "comfortable living arrangements" miss talk-a-lot.

I agree with everyone by saying that this is going to be a mostly random day and that we should be very careful of the double lynching law. The Wolves could use that to their advantage. And this is also a most peculiar village. In all the other villages that I've heard about that have been attacked by Wolve there were only three Wolves and one Seer. Now there's two Seer's (a bonus for us) and four Wolves. Four Wolves!! This is going to be difficult to say the least...

Quote:
I will immediately propose that we do not lynch me as I am linked to the monarchy; and everyone knows that royal sorts are more trustworthy than normal folks. (Eomer)
Oh stop rubbing it in! We already know you're rich and powerful!! So stop flaunting it! And how do we know we can trust you now? In normal circumstances, yes, villagers would tend to respect and even follow what you say. But that's all changed. How do we know that you weren't sent here, rich and powerful, to lead those nasty lycans and try and convince us to not vote for you and your fellow lycans??

Now please excuse me while I go and wollow in pity for spawn, Nilp and myself.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:39 AM   #16
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
*cries with relief* I missed half the Day and we're still only on the first page! Bliss!

But to more serious matters, Nilp dying. Unfortunate but if the wolves hadn't done it he'd have done it himself anyway!

As for levels of talk, it's hard for someone who is naturally quiet to be loud and vice versa, it tends to be something ingrained, but I can see the benefits gained from trying to moderate the amount. Still, as various people have said, it can be good if there is lots of talking, as the wolves or the Lovers might slip up. Perhaps as an in-between measure we should try talking often but not huge amounts of text all at once, as that's a little daunting!

Since we seem to be discussing double lynchings I'll say now that I'm not a fan, but can see their use in some situations. For example if the Seer dreamt of two wolves on consecutive Nights then a revelation and a double lynch would be in order.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:54 AM   #17
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
I would like to add that the same might go with bandwagoners. Bandwagoning is considered a low crime, but really I think it is a worse crime not to vote the one you suspect solely because of avoiding bandwagoning.
But then again, you are not bandwagoning if you vote for someone you deem guilty even though other people would have voted for the same person for whatever reasons.

As long as people can give well-reasoned votes, they will help our mission to lynch the wolves. I understand that might be a problem toDay, though... *coughCailíncough*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
Nay, that which I fear is Love. Yea, yea, hearken unto me, tis Love which does destroy us! We must purge this place of all Love!
But as soon as all of the wolves are dead (or maybe even sooner), the mysterious lover will be, too. I guess we can regard the Ord Lover as a kind of a Cobbler, really, so catching the wolves is our principal task now, don't you think?
Old 03-15-2006, 10:00 AM   #18
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm a stone cutter. I do not waste time. Stone being hard and difficult to master. Therefore I will not waste time taking my analytical tools to this metaphorical stone of 4 werewolves, with the mix of 2 lovers. On to business.

First, on posting. Louds should post as much as usual, and Quiets should post at least, at least once per day. Posts should be substantive. Simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
If I may suggest, please try your darndest not to spread your votes too much.
Lhuna, what would be too much of a spread, and what too little?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
Neither should we lynch Lhunardawen — yet, though probability theory dictates unpleasant news for that pretty little elf.
Eomer, why not? Do you have a good reason? Just curious.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:22 AM   #19
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Woe is me! Nilp gone? who shall now give me luck as I shear my sheep? I for one shall look at the "creepy's" today. Who else would want to murder our prophet?

The guy who be short I see you have lost your beard I shall go and knit you one! I promise it shall be as sweet as me!

Well I must agree with others today, we must concentrate on killing wolves, and not worry too much about the lovers today, since the wolves are more likely to find them out first.

I implore you all wolves! Give yourselves up now, while you still have a chance. I may be small and sweet, but I promise you I hold a grudge for the death of our Mod-Prophet!

I am off to clear my head! I shall make beards for everyone! They shall be lovely, and warm! *smiles sweetly*

Tah for now! Oh just thinking to myself who would have the time on their hands to kill our Nilp? THE UNEMPLOYED that's who!
Old 03-15-2006, 11:37 AM   #20
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Wow, you would not believe the dream I had last night. I always have strange nights when I don't shave my overgrown hair. I'd love to tell my dream to you, too, but see really, 'I have not the heart to tell you'.

Initial thoughts: blatant and uncalled for!

1. Valier and TGWBS are the lovers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valier
The guy who be short I see you have lost your beard I shall go and knit you one! I promise it shall be as sweet as me!

Well I must agree with others today, we must concentrate on killing wolves, and not worry too much about the lovers today, since the wolves are more likely to find them out first.
Sending a message, then discouraging looking for lovers? Perhaps...

2. Eomer mentions Lhuna in a defensive manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
Lover pair? Not likely, but something to think on early, and then maybe late, too.

3. Thinlómien seems suspicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
And Lalaith you say we shouldn't babble. That might be true, though I'm not sure if I agree with you. It's true that evidence is more difficult to find from a post flood, but we should keep in mind that loudmouth wolves more probably slip something than non-loudmouths. Anyway, your request is reasonable because if everybody posts as much as I did in my previous ww, no one can manage reading even through one day. So I'd like to change Lalaith's advice a bit: speak enough that you can slip (especially wolves) but don't speak too much to flood the village with your babbling.
Seems to turn slightly. Doesn't really agree, then more or less does. Although, I certainly don't think the wolves are going to purposely speak so much that they slip up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
[responding to spawn]I thought about that issue, but somehow didn't think that hiding aspect. Anyway, I agree with you.
Almost a tad too agreeable, if you ask me...

Well, now that that's out of the way, let me just say that, by pure knowing-nothing, looking-at-the-list-and-picking randomness, I think that Naria is a wolf. Which means she makes my top six list.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:42 AM   #21
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Right. My lords and mermaid-like sprigs of juniper, I bear solemn news from the East, in the depths of the forests.

Though I found none of the Wolf-kindred as yet, nor any pernicious sorts infected by the grim vice of Love, I did stumble upon the Chieftain of the Hedgehog Race, and after a protacted battle I had the better of him.

"Tell me," I growled, "where lurk your demonic were-hedgehog cavalry!"

The Hedgehog Lord was no craven, but my instruments of torture were ingenious and convoluted and at last he told all.

The varmint claims to have disguised a were-army of hedgehogs under green shells and hidden them in a turtle farm. What d'ye have to say to that, Empress Kath of the Dread Meerkat Wandering Horde? Ha ha!

I've noticed that there are several types in this place who seem to be completely out of their minds. You're going to have to trust in a dour, sensible sober man of arms like me. And I say, enemies oft lurk among clerihews. Ha ha!

For one, I don't like the stamp of that musician fella. The King must have kept him as a joke! His harping is terrible! I say we tie him up in a tree when we banquet in the evenings, sa-ha!

But seriously. The King be dead or fled, I don't know or care which, and this is no time for airs. As for yerrer gallantry...I sense the stench of LOVE!

As for the laundress, she makes a very wise point, and is a delightful codfish.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:46 AM   #22
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dűm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Hello, fellow villagers. Never fear, SamwiseBankee is here!

Firstly, may I extend my condolances to Nilp's family. For generations our bank has been close with their family, and to see them go is not just to lose a customer, it is to lose a friend.

Eomer: different rules? Surely I know not of waht you speak! Cough cough!

Now, my dinner is ready and I must fly. I have some small suspicions, friends, and I shall share them as soon as I have enjoyed my fine meal.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:49 AM   #23
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
several types in this place who seem to be completely out of their minds
You're telling me. Celuien isn't going to be much help in catching wolves I fear...she's going to be hard-pressed keeping up with the work-load.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:21 PM   #24
Garin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Garin has just left Hobbiton.
The wolves certainly made short work of out beloved Nilp. He looks worse than the time I had a mishap whilst lancing that unflattering boil of his.

Allow me to fashion his hair for the funeral though... I owe him an amends.

Quote:
Gurthang: Valier and TGWBS are the lovers.
Agreed that Valier's flirtatious comments were quite suspect. Would a Lover be so blatant? As I get to know Valier I believe she could be.

Quote:
Valier: Well I must agree with others today, we must concentrate on killing wolves, and not worry too much about the lovers today, since the wolves are more likely to find them out first.
Disagreed. We find the lovers, we find a wolf. As much as I'd like this experimental role to play out past the first few rounds, it is nothing but an unlanced boil on the back of our village.

Quote:
Anguirel: Nay, that which I fear is Love. Yea, yea, hearken unto me, tis Love which does destroy us! We must purge this place of all Love!
Agreed. Ang just used much more eloquence than myself. I might have a new signature in there. Not that I trust Anguirel as far as I can throw him. I trust no one at this minute.

Once again the debate between quiet versus the loud rears its head. I have always been on the side of the loud and the voters for obvious reasons. Sometimes I also must be less of a participant, so I understand the occassional mute. Luckily, the chronically silent shall be permanently silenced by the spirit of Nilp after three days.

Nonethess, voting records and dialogue are the best way to uncover the true identities of our fellow 'villagers,' I encourage all of you to participate TO THE BEST OF YOUR ABILITY>

However, with a caveat. Wolves are often invigorated by their lupine standing and tend to be bit more involved than bored Ordos.

Luckily, I know many of you from other villages, this will help me uncover members of the hairy horde.

Much more reading and analysis to do...
I'll probably vote later than others, always a bold endeavor.

Can't get used to 'Limey Time.'

No offense.

I am a sick man ... I am a spiteful man. I am an unpleasant man. I think my liver is diseased.

Fyodor Dostoevsky "Notes From the Underground"
Garin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:26 PM   #25
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dűm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Well, I'm back.

So, what is your friendly bank manager thinking? Cailin is the only obviously suspicious individual thus far. Well, I don't like it, fellow villagers. I know, there was some kind of excuse about visiting a friend out of the village, but I don't know. I shan't be voting this early- that would just be silly- but I'm uncomfortable with Cailin's behaviour. There was a whole lot of accusations, but not a whole lot of substance to any of them. And yet, I can't help but think that no wolf would be so stupid on day one. Any thoughts?
Old 03-15-2006, 12:32 PM   #26
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, well, again, we are faced with the problem of werewolves. Four werewolves, no less. And to make matters worse, we have a traitor, though it should be said, our disadvatage is offset by the fact they have a traitor too. Indeed, one who has a much greater potential for runiation!

The lovers offer some great analytical challanges, if you are up to it, and have a spare afternoon...

Predictably, I suffer greatly from a severe case of First Day Suspicion/Dispare Syndrom. I am given to bouts of cynicism, skeptisism, and hopelessness. (Hardly the fealings of one deeply in love, I might add. )

Anyhow, I think I will go with (by now) the tried and proven voting method, that of voting for the tenth person below me...who appears to be...ooo, lets make that above...who appears to be Garin!

Indeed, my fellow skeptics and pesimists, indeed, I am proposing a random vote. "So your idea is everyone vote without thinking and without reasoning! How idiotic!" you say. Well, I would ask you, what are you baseing you vote on, hm?

Anyhow, obviously I haven't cast my vote, which mean if nothing else turns up, that is how I will vote. And, or course, I wouldn't be holding with this practice the entire game, hopefully starting tommarrow as evidence becomes more and more availible. That would indeed be idiotic.
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:39 PM   #27
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Day 1s, how do I hate thee? Let me count the ways....

But, of course, that would detract from the ever so lovely Day 1 noise that I ought to be making...

Noise that, in due time, can be analysed by the finest (read: most paranoid) minds in the village to include cunning statements of gleeful guilt, which will then result in my becoming suspicious and/or dead.

Well, let's get to it. I've not got all Day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailín
And though Formendacil and Glirdan seem innocently unemployed, I do seriously wonder how they got such comfortable living arrangements anyway, huh?.
Mooching.

Nilp and Lhuna are so tenderhearted to family members that I've never needed to work a day in my life. Which, by the way, clearly proves that I'm not a Werewolf, since that's half my life support gone.

(Formendacil will return in a few hours with more Day 1 nonsense. Stay tuned....)
Old 03-15-2006, 12:40 PM   #28
Garin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:
Anyhow, I think I will go with (by now) the tried and proven voting method, that of voting for the tenth person below me...who appears to be...ooo, lets make that above...who appears to be Garin!
Indeed a mistake my friend unless you enjoy having the tarnish of a vote against an innocent on your record.

I am a sick man ... I am a spiteful man. I am an unpleasant man. I think my liver is diseased.

Old 03-15-2006, 12:51 PM   #29
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
I'm here finally, you see I had a long night with a tough delivery. That little squirt didn't want to come out...driving me mad I tells ya

*sigh* Poor poor Nilp. He was a crazy fellow and now that he is gone whom will I vote for, on this, our first day?!

I best be look'n a little closer at the rest of you...hmmm or not, Gurthang looks like he got this whole thing wrapped up. He's already found six people he finds guilty and four of which to be hairy ones. Wow that is quite impressive, not! This shant be a very long game after all, according to Gurthang findings.

But I digress, and will myself, look a little deeper and see what I can see before vote time.
Naria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:53 PM   #30
Mischievous Candle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurthang
Sending a message, then discouraging looking for lovers? Perhaps...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garin
Agreed that Valier's flirtatious comments were quite suspect. Would a Lover be so blatant? As I get to know Valier I believe she could be.
But if Valier was the other lover, why would she 'send a message'. If she was a Lover and TGWBS was the other one, Valier's or TGWBS' fellow wolves would understand right away, what's going on. I don't believe that the Lovers will be leaving clues for each other. Why would they?

Quote:
Disagreed. We find the lovers, we find a wolf.
And when we find the wolves, we find the lovers. Surely it's easier to find a group of four wolves than two Lovers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamwiseBankee
I'm uncomfortable with Cailin's behaviour. There was a whole lot of accusations, but not a whole lot of substance to any of them. And yet, I can't help but think that no wolf would be so stupid on day one. Any thoughts?
Well, if you want my thoughts, I'd first point out that there's a possibility that she was just fulfilling her duties as the town gossip. Her vote for Lalaith looks as random as her accusations, and randomness can be a good cover for a wolf. However, many people hadn't still recovered from the shock caused by Nilp's death and they were speechless at the time when Cailín was around, so there wasn't much to say, I guess. As to accusations with " a whole lot of substance", your case isn't that detailed either.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:04 PM   #31
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Something that occurs to me.
Wolves have been known to vote for each other in order to divert suspicion from themselves. This is going to be even more likely in our village, as they know there is a traitor in their midst anyway.

Which is kind of annoying, when it comes to trying to analyse votes to catch wolves.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:14 PM   #32
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sign: Flow

Woe! That Nilpaurion Felagund should die...
Oh, wondrous master, you shall not be forgotten
Let us avenge now the death of the great
For I would not have him die in vain.

I am a WOLF.

Lynch me now. It's your best hope.

++Nilpauri-

Hang on, that's not my name.

++TGWBS
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 01:15 PM   #33
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

This whole lovers thing is actaully really interesing. Consider:

The lover is kind of like the cobbler, and the wolf lover is kind of like a wolf cobbler. Except they are on their own. I wonder what the wolves are doing about this. Leaving it be? There is really nothing they can do, except watch their backs.

I wonder what the human lover is up to? I'd guess laying low. If you come at it from the point of view of teh cobbler, it gets most of its leverage at teh very end.

Hm, everything is swirling around in my brain. This should be really interesting, and have an espcially fun end game...
Old 03-15-2006, 01:15 PM   #34
Garin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:
Dancing Spawn: But if Valier was the other lover, why would she 'send a message'. If she was a Lover and TGWBS was the other one, Valier's or TGWBS' fellow wolves would understand right away, what's going on. I don't believe that the Lovers will be leaving clues for each other. Why would they?
Agreed, I find it unlikely that a Lover would be so bold but from what I know of Valier ... I'm not convinced that her tendency toward unbridaled giddiness can be discounted.

I think I am destined to have an a contentious relationship with her, so I guess I am getting it out of the way.

Cailin
Early, early votes are always disturbing but would also be a bold move for a wolf. I actually find her innocent at the moment.

Due to my temper, I will want revenge against anyone who dare suspects me, so be forewarned.

Spawn
Of course I would like to find a wolf prior to the 'innocent' lover and NO it isn't neccessarily easier to find four wolves than two lovers. You see, anyone in love has had their brain removed and will be decidedly less clever than the canines.

At least I am not jaded. (sarcasm)

Old 03-15-2006, 01:22 PM   #35
Garin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:
I am a WOLF.

Lynch me now. It's your best hope.

++Nilpauri-

Hang on, that's not my name.

++TGWBS

Oh for the love of crumb-cake Guy. It appears you are channeling our fallen Nilp from the great beyond. Posessed you are..

I am inclined to vote for you but almost more inclined to vote for myself.

In honor of the late great Prince Nilp...

I am not a wolf.

++Garin

Old 03-15-2006, 01:25 PM   #36
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
Wolves have been known to vote for each other in order to divert suspicion from themselves. This is going to be even more likely in our village, as they know there is a traitor in their midst anyway.
Darn. Y'got me.

I am a wolf, but no lover. Even if I were a lover, you would only increase your chances of winning by lynching me, for you would kill a wolf and a dissident.

Vote TGWBS!
Old 03-15-2006, 01:25 PM   #37
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I am now quite convinced I am the sanest man in this village.

And the Hedgehog Chieftain agrees with me.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:26 PM   #38
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Quote:
Due to my temper, I will want revenge against anyone who dare suspects me, so be forewarned.
I guess that's directed toward me? Be it known, I am not suspecting you. I find a very large difference in voting suspecting/accusing. And I do hope that my fellow villagers will not fall prey to unfounded suspicions, and keep votes based on occupation, or whathaveyou, as just that: simpley votes, to pass the time, so to speak.

Intersting vote, Garin. Though I don't see how mass suicides honor our Prophet...
Old 03-15-2006, 01:33 PM   #39
Garin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:
I am now quite convinced I am the sanest man in this village.
Anguirel, it pains me to say it but you might be correct. Not that I'm willing to definitively declare you a MAN just yet. I am being swayed.

Quote:
Intersting vote, Garin. Though I don't see how mass suicides honor our Prophet...
Eonwe, I am actually not sure what came over me, I've always held the suicidal with great contempt.

I never handle inclimate weather very well.

What is done is done. Forgive me village.

Old 03-15-2006, 01:35 PM   #40
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Garin no longer wishes to die.

I think you all know where to direct your votes.

Goodnight.