The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2002, 01:23 AM   #81
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Welcome Brenna and Andhiriel. Hope you enjoy your stay at the Barrow-Downs. Post often

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 05:11 PM   #82
Brenna

Question

Samwise, thank you for the warm welcome [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I intend on having fun.
Old 02-21-2002, 05:13 PM   #83
Brenna

Question

Joy, I intend on posting as often as I can [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2002, 08:19 PM   #84
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
andhiriel, welcome from your friendly neighborhood gardener! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:
"Yes, sir!" said Sam. "Begging your pardon, sir! But I meant no wrong to you, Mr. Frodo, nor to Mr. Gandalf. He has some sense, and when you said go alone, he said no! take someone as you can trust. "
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 05:32 PM   #85
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Well, I am a female, age 21 (almost 22). I am a hobbit here, but in real life (due to my taller than most women height) I'd be an Elf. I discover Tolkien when I was 21 - wait, let's try 2 months ago! Am I the only kid that didn't see The Hobbit cartoon when I was young - I was brought up on The Last Unicorn, though. I feel as though I missed something. Nevertheless I have found Tolkien & I am obsessed.
Relating to the girls & Tolkien thing - well, I think that most girls do think it's weird, I only have one friend that is as crazy as I am (plus, I like comics, so that's two weird points for me). But all of us chicks here are special in that we can find something more interesting than N Sync folders & fuzzy pink pens!
Also, Samwise - relating to your childhood story - I have a very funny childhood movie of myself (& others) on the hood of a car saying "I'm the Last Unicorn, did you know that?" We were a bunch of fun crazy kids too.
OK, that was way longer than I expected it to be. I'll stop torturing ya'll now with my life!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 07:15 PM   #86
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Wow Samwise! If you're not the friendliest person I know! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] And no, Tigerlilly, you're not alone. I've never seen the animated Hobbit or LotR. I hear they weren't very good though. I actually discoever LotR in November. Not all that long ago, but before I found out about the movie. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Talk about good timing!

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 07:58 PM   #87
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

The Hobbit cartoon isn't bad. The REturn of the King cartoon bites it big. I've never seen the last unicorn. I think I'm too old. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2002, 08:28 PM   #88
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

You can never be too old for The Last Unicorn - I say, you are only as old as you act! Well then, I guess I am seven!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 08:50 AM   #89
Dinagariel

Sting

Maer arad. 25 year old Female here [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I've been kicking myself because I was given LOTR when I was 12, but being young and stupid, I had no interest in 'classic books' then [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
So I came into ME after seeing the movie, and have since read The Hobbit, LOTR and have just started The Silmarillion.
Most of my girl friends seem to think my obsession is very strange since to them LOTR is a 'guy' movie, so it's nice to see so many other females enjoying Tolkien's books [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2002, 04:23 PM   #90
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Anarya SilverBranch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Online, 1,988 year old Sindarin Elf of Mirkwood, sister to Legolas Greenleaf.

Offline, 16 yr old female, obsessed with Orlando Bloom(:
Old 02-25-2002, 04:29 PM   #91
Brenna

Question

There was a Hobbit cartoon? I love the movie the Last Unicorn....
Old 02-25-2002, 04:38 PM   #92
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Are you in America, Brenna? I got "the Hobbit", "The Lord of the Rings", and "The Return of the King" together at Costco.
Old 02-25-2002, 06:26 PM   #93
Mereth'iel
Pile O'Bones

Mereth'iel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've never seen the last unicorn. I think I'm too old.

Raefindel, get "The Last Unicorn", you'll love it. It's a great cartoon at any age. The music is great in it, too. My daughter (who is 19) and I still watch it!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Mereth'iel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 06:38 PM   #94
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

I imagine my daughters will like it too then. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2002, 08:54 PM   #95
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Male elf, 25 [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2002, 09:10 PM   #96
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Question

hello, Alkanoonion. What does your name mean?
Old 02-26-2002, 01:32 PM   #97
amyrlis
Wight

amyrlis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hello to all the new ones! Just wanted to add that I too LOVE The Last Unicorn, I hear they are re-making it as a live action flick and Christopher Lee is going to reprise his role as the evil king (he did the voice in the cartoon, and is now supposed to play the part in the movie). Also, the Murder She Wrote lady (why can't I remember her name right now!?!) was the original voice of Mommy Fortuna, and she's supposed to play that part too.

I had seen the cartoon many years ago, but just found out it was originally a book, need to get that on my reading list!

No one is "too old" for TLU, the cartoon came out in the late 70's or early 80's I think. I was just a kid then, but my mom watched it with me and she cried. Now it's part of my personal VHS (must upgrade to DVD sometime) collection along with The Hobbit. Both of which I made my husband watch - don't think he was too excited about that! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

(By the way, please forgive me for the off-Tolkien post!)
Old 02-27-2002, 06:10 PM   #98
Brenna

Question

I'm in Canada...

I've read the Hobbit, and and half way through the second part of the LOTR tilogy..
Old 03-02-2002, 08:48 PM   #99
Mithril
Pile O'Bones

Mithril has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm a 15 year old female. For all of you who only know males who have read LOTR, the only other person at my school who I know has read it, is a guy. I don't know any other girls at school who have read it.
Old 03-02-2002, 10:06 PM   #100
Durregiel

Sting

Hey. On Earth im a 18yr female ,In M E Im a 2367yr elf. (but even on earth im feeling weary of it) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I got into Tolkien when i heard the movie was being produced and wanted read the book b4 hand because i know the books always better than the movie!

I noticed that most peoples ages are at different ends of the scale... any one think y??
Old 03-02-2002, 10:47 PM   #101
Tigerlily

Pipe

mmmmm... beer.

Female, 23. Discovered Tolkien on my last birthday, when Mom mailed me the books as a birthday gift.
Old 03-02-2002, 11:34 PM   #102
Gorin Icearms
Haunting Spirit

Gorin Icearms has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

17 Male. If any of you ladies out there around that age want to drop me a line, please do. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ March 03, 2002: Message edited by: Gorin Icearms ]

Oh hey, I'm a wight now. WORSHIP ME IN ALL MY WIGHTNESS!!! MUAHAHAHA!!
Gorin Icearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 07:09 AM   #103
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow, there are a lot of women here, that's unusual. Nice to see, I don't feel such an odd one out. I'll be 30 soon [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2002, 07:20 PM   #104
Firladion Greenbow
Animated Skeleton

Firladion Greenbow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have definately mentioned my age somewhere else on this forum, but i am male, 30 years old and first read The Hobbit when i was 13, could not put it down and ended up reading it all in one day, next came LOTR, did not have a clue what is was all about, put it down and eventually picked it back up a year later.
And at the ripe old age of 14 i started to understand it (sort of)
Upon hearing they were making the film it sparked off my interest again, so read the entire lot again.
somehow it seemed an entirely different story to how i remembered it (must be my age)
Now i am hooked.

again.

F.G.
Old 03-04-2002, 07:24 PM   #105
Firladion Greenbow
Animated Skeleton

Firladion Greenbow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

By the way, the picture on the left is me. Treading the boards in a touring play.

Just in case you wondered.....

Not that you would....

F.G.
Old 03-05-2002, 09:13 AM   #106
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

I'm female, and turning 21 this June. The problem with having your birthday in the middle of the year is that you don't really know how old you are.
Discovered Tolkien last November; I feel frustrated because the only thing closest to a extensive comprehension of Tolikien is the movie. I feel odd not watching a movie without reading the book. Oh well...
I appreciate it that there are people who have bible verses as their signature. I find it really nice. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 02:49 PM   #107
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Quote:
plus, I like comics, so that's two weird points for me).
Wierd? Nooooo...hey, in high school, I had a group of friends who were totally into the comic-X-Men-mutant kind of thing. (One extreme to the other). We made our own superhero team (the leader of which was the LOTR expert friend I've mentioned in other posts), and to this DAY he and I refer to one another by either our codenames (him, Grizzly, mine, Topaz) or the nicknames we made up to go with them!! (Griz, Fuzz, Furball, Bearskin Rug/Topz, Glowworm....)Heh--I slipped into that realm while posting here--mentioned something about "metamorphing" in the "Which way would you go?" thread..... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:
Also, Samwise - relating to your childhood story - I have a very funny childhood movie of myself (& others) on the hood of a car saying "I'm the Last Unicorn, did you know that?" We were a bunch of fun crazy kids too.
Wow! Someone read that! Thought it was too long..... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:
"Mr. Frodo, sir!" cried Sam, quaking. "Don't let him hurt me, sir! Don't let him turn me into anything unnatural! My old dad would take on so. I meant no harm, on my honour, sir! "
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 03-05-2002, 03:00 PM   #108
Elvenglass
Haunting Spirit

Elvenglass has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elvenglass
Silmaril

I can't remember if I've already posted on here...so, I'm female, age 16..actually not obsessed with Orlando Bloom, although he is very attractive. Anyways I discovered Tolkien at age 10! Welcome to all the new people, I don't remember your names...but I will!
Old 03-05-2002, 03:27 PM   #109
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Vedui' iller!
I'm 15 years of age (on Earth anyway) and i first read LOTR at 7 which i think is younger than anyone else who has posted on here so far.....
....i am very happy to have discovered LOTR so young and have had much enjoyment from it....
Gorothlammothiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 05:47 PM   #110
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow! I'm no longer the only teenage girl who isn't obsessed over Orlando Bloo. *high 5, Elvenglass!*

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 07:10 PM   #111
Mithril
Pile O'Bones

Mithril has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey! I'm a teenage girl who's not obsessed with Orlando Bloom! He is attractive, but I'm not obsessed.
Old 03-05-2002, 09:44 PM   #112
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

I'm not a teenager, but (and everyone has their own taste), I don't find Orlando Bloom attractive. I think Elijah Wood's a really good looking young man, but---he's a BOY. Sean Astin grew up VERY well from his GOONIE days, but he's married and not a Christian....sigh....
Looks aren't everything. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2002, 10:48 PM   #113
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

22-year-old girl (woman? I still feel weird saying that). I haven't really thought about what I would be in Middle-Earth but if you're going by physical features I'd probably be a random woman of Rohan (exciting, eh?). Realized that I'm really no longer a teenager by not even having even the faintest crush on Orlando Bloom, though he is very nice-looking. (Of course it helps to be engaged to a fellow Tolkienphile who is definitely an Elf [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]).

I first read "The Hobbit" at 6 and LOTR at 10, albeit when I got to TTT I was so frantic to find out what was happening to Sam and Frodo that I skipped everything after Merry and Pippin's escape and just went straight to Book IV. (Went back and finished Book III afterwards). And that's all there is to say about that.
Old 04-18-2002, 03:33 AM   #114
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

I don't remember if I've posted in this thread, but I've been wanting to bring this back up so everyone can well, 'revea;' their 'secrets.'

Enjoy everyone!

I'm female, turning 21 this June...

Join in!
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 05:23 AM   #115
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

I'm a 15 year old female dwarf (yes!! a female dwarf!! the only one on here I do believe [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]) I first read LotR when my older sister had it for an english asignment (about a year ago) I thought it looked interesting and have been hooked ever since. I saw LotR the cartoon thought it was awsome (even though i was the only one awake in the end [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]) have seen the movie and read the hobbit but cannot seem to find the sil. anywhere [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]. The lost tales is on my to do list [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

And just to clear it up orlando bloom is only hot with long blounde hair, so is it not infact Legolas that is hot not the actor himself?

woa!!!!!!!!!! that was way longer than I meant it to be sorry [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ April 18, 2002: Message edited by: Lady_Báin ]
Old 04-18-2002, 09:27 AM   #116
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

You're actually not the only female dwarf, Lady Bain. I may not have given myself a Tolkeinesque nick, but that doesn't mean I'm not of Middle Earth...I reviwed my options and decided I most closely resembled the dwarves. I even have a name, which I can't change to (and wouldn't, now, because people here know me as Susan)

Anyway, I'm female, age 22. My family read The Hobbit aloud when I was 7 or 8. I tried reading LOTR when I was about 10, but didn't get into it, although I tried several times over the course of several years. Then I stopped for a while and only took it up again when the movie was about to come out, and you know what? It's really good *chuckle*

Hey, Lady Bain, we also both became members on the same day [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ April 18, 2002: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 04-18-2002, 10:25 AM   #117
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

yay I am not alone:*)
Old 04-18-2002, 11:58 AM   #118
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

Welcome to the downs. I'm pretty new myself, but I'm a long-time reader of Tolkien. I'm glad someone pulled up this thread again. It's fun to read about everyone.

I am the definite grandmother of this thread (maybe of the entire barrow-downs??) I'm just a year or so older than when Frodo set out for Elvenhome (figure that one out!) I first read The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings in the mid 60s (that's right--it's not a misprint). I still have a bunch of editions from that time--the Ballentine paperbacks, a Hobbit from the 50s, and the 2nd ed. of LOTR. We were part of the "Frodo Lives" generation in college. We had Tolkien posters on our college dorm room walls, Gandalf for President buttons, and ran around with long hair and long skirts looking like we stepped out of Middle-earth. We made homemade bread and loved trees and the earth. After all these years and many rereadings, I still love the books today.
sharon, the 7th age hobbit

[ April 18, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 04-18-2002, 12:01 PM   #119
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

yay!
Hey, any other female dwarves out there who became members on 10 April? In the Shire, that would be 9 Astron (right? it's the 99th day of the year, and that's the 99th day of their year)...do we know how the Dwarves reckon years?
heehee [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ April 18, 2002: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 04-18-2002, 04:11 PM   #120
greyhavener
Wight

greyhavener has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Female 43. I discovered Tolkien at 15.