The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2003, 09:01 AM   #1
One Axe to Rule them All
Wight

One Axe to Rule them All has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Label yourself as a Downie!

I was thinking, i'm sure some of us have been somewhere and missed another downer by ten feet or so.

So why don't we label ourselves as downies!
Stand up and proudly state it, "I'm A Downie!"

I was thinking a "I'm a downer" Bumper sticker, or something like that..

does anybody have any suggestions or ideas?
Old 08-19-2003, 09:12 AM   #2
purplefluffychainsaw
Wight

purplefluffychainsaw has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to purplefluffychainsaw
Tolkien

Oh!!! Can we have badges???? (Opps, nearly put badgers... that would be strange) **Goes to make a badge**

Actually, that's a great idea!!! Yay!!! **Displays her new badge, proudly**

Love

The Freak of Middle Earth

~ Purple
Old 08-19-2003, 09:19 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Ummm, you can order Barrow-Downs T-shirts (see top of page) and wear them proudly! I wore mine to the TTT movie showing; unfortunately though, no one recognized it...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 09:50 AM   #4
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

We could use the "Do the Wave for Boromir the Disco King!" as a byword, too. (If anyone ever appears on tv, use that!) I wouldn't mind a bumper sticker of that...of course I'd have to have a car first. And a licence... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

I'll have to get one of those shirts and wear it to RotK.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 10:00 AM   #5
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I was just thinking that having stickers that say 'I'm a downer' might not be the best self-promotion technique... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
But yes, buy the shirt, buy the hat, tell all your friends! Display any Downie Awards with pride on your mantle! Pepper your conversations with Downs codephrases, such as 'Boromir the Disco King' or 'Do nazgul have wings?' [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] But most of all, live it out! Don't ask me how, I haven't figured it out completely myself. It sounds inspirational though. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Peace
Old 08-19-2003, 10:14 AM   #6
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

ooooh, you could cover all your school/office supplies with stickers that say: "I'm a Downie, and Proud of it!"
Old 08-19-2003, 10:21 AM   #7
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Quote:
We could use the "Do the Wave for Boromir the Disco King!" as a byword, too.
Ooo! I'm all up for that! I wrote it in chalk on my friend's driveway, but I guess no one noticed...I didn't get any strange visitors or anything. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Quote:
I was just thinking that having stickers that say 'I'm a downer' might not be the best self-promotion technique...
Heh heh...that's a good point...

I'd love a Boromir the Disco King bumper sticker. Of course, I don't have a car, much less a license...I have my permit, though! ...

Has anyone ever met another Downer? By accident or not? I'd love too, someday... *dream*
Old 08-19-2003, 10:28 AM   #8
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

Quote:
I was just thinking that having stickers that say 'I'm a downer' might not be the best self-promotion technique...
So don't use downer, use downie. And Do The WAVE!!!!
Old 08-19-2003, 10:31 AM   #9
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Silmaril

Dude! My friend made me a Frodo t-shirt, I'll write "I'm a Downie" And maybe write Morai on it too.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:36 AM   #10
One Axe to Rule them All
Wight

Sting

I already know that we have T-shirts for sale, and they are great, i'm planning on buying one sometime in the future, but until then, i was thinking crop circles....

Or maybe we could stick with just small stuff like bumper stickers and badgers...
did I say badgers...?

But maybe we could make a short film or something and get it played when ROTK comes out....

Or maybe we could make brain-control chips and slip them in every big-mac in the USA so that millions of people will suddenly want to join the BD's....

But really, what would the best way of identifying other downies quickly and easily be? (besides wearing the same barrow-downs t-shirt every day for the next 3 months)
Old 08-19-2003, 10:39 AM   #11
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Amarantha,
I met a fellow BDer! is a thread for those who have met, or who want to meet. There are many other threads in the Barrow Downs forum for specific places like the Midwest or London. Check them out. Perhaps you'll get to meet a fellow BDer yourself someday! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Peace
Old 08-19-2003, 10:44 AM   #12
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

How about getting a nice big plane and trailing a nice big banner that says "The Barrow-Downs Rocks" but then again, I'm all up for the micro-chips in big macs.

Or we could all go to the premiere of RoTK in New Zealand, wearing 'downs T-shirts and make sure to get our short film played. heh..
Old 08-19-2003, 11:03 AM   #13
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
White-Hand

Quote:
Or we could all go to the premiere of RoTK in New Zealand, wearing 'downs T-shirts and make sure to get our short film played. heh..
Well, since I live in the Tree Hugger state in the US, it's kinda expensive to go to NZ, but hey, if anyone wants to hitch me a ride there, I'd be glad to go! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Or, we could hijack a bus, put on a HUGE ferry, and sail there!! MUHAHAHAH!...oops, I'll go hide in a corner and suck my thumb now....
Old 08-19-2003, 11:27 AM   #14
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Quote:
Or we could all go to the premiere of RoTK in New Zealand, wearing 'downs T-shirts and make sure to get our short film played.
Right on! Of course, someone will have to be nice and give me air fare to New Zealand, but you guys are all so cool, I know you'll pitch in a couple of bucks. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] In the meantime, I'll be content with buying a BD shirt. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 08-19-2003, 12:19 PM   #15
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Quote:
Or, we could hijack a bus, put on a HUGE ferry, and sail there!! MUHAHAHAH!...
hmm.... There's a greyhound station where I used to live.. bwahahaha!
We could walk there... course we'd need a really big supply of oxygen tanks so we could breathe under water... unless any of you think you could sprout gills before the premiere [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2003, 12:53 PM   #16
One Axe to Rule them All
Wight

Sting

I'm working on the gills thing, I figured that constsnt exposure to a ring of power would give us gills of we start exactly 32 years, seventeen hours, ten minutes, and forty-three seconds ago...

But we could go with the hijacking plan, I might be able to get my hands on a couple of fake uzis....
Old 08-19-2003, 01:03 PM   #17
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

We could go around constantly chanting the "Cold be heart and hand and bone" speech too.

Then again, why do we need all these conventional methods when all BDers are much more intellectual than the average mortal? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-19-2003, 01:31 PM   #18
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

just to drive the average mortal mad? [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] We could march to the premiere (or go on hijacked bus on ferry) chanting all the poems/songs in lotr.... on a giant megaphone! bwahahahaha ok, I'll shut up now.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:33 PM   #19
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Eenie, Meenie, Miny, Mo. Catch a Steward by the toe, if Meela hollers, RUN!!! DON'T LOOK BACK!! HEAD FOR THE HILLS!! FLEE IF YOU VALUE YOUR LIFE!!! AHH!!!
Before I reply to the thread topic:

I just saw that, and my god I fell off my chair laughing!! Good one! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Okay... so, badges. Yeh, I'll make a badge and wear a t-shirt!
Old 08-19-2003, 02:12 PM   #20
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

I had another brilliant idea! I'm going to get a special order license plate that says 'Downie' on it! You like?! We could paint the tops of our cars with 'Downie' or 'Disco Squid' in really bright colors! Or we could take it a step further and paint our roofing with common BD's sayings! When I got to see the next movie, I'm going to wear something Downie related and do my hair up in 'the elvish' fashion! Mabey I could get my friends to do the same.... Hmmm....
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 03:15 PM   #21
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Bumper stickers, yes, we need those!!!
And of course pins.

I seriously think that they need to expand the range of B-D's logo merchandise. I know I should go out and get a shirt, but I just have still not gotten to doing that. I would be much more likely to purchase a bumper sticker though because I love those.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:58 PM   #22
Cinderella
Wight

Cinderella has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cinderella
Silmaril

That's it. We are having a Barrow- Downs cruise! Oooooh and we can all buy time shares in Florida together!!!!! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Seriously though somone should design a "Do the wave..." bumper sticker or one that says "honk if you're a downie!" that might have some unpleasant results tho...
Old 08-19-2003, 05:37 PM   #23
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

I always think about things like this when I'm at the cinema seeing an Orlando Bloom film or at the bookshop passing by the LOTR section. "What if he's a Downie?!" Several times I've overheard conversations with some word that sounds LOTR-ish and I do my share of eavesdropping just to see. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] So far though I haven't met any Downies aside from the two here I already know.

I ordered a t-shirt a while back when Mr. Smith was moving(?), I think, so it was delayed a bit. Hopefully it'll arrive soon so I can wear it to fencing tournies, Academy, and other places Downies might be lurking ... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I like the buttons and bumperstickers ideas ... and the home-made t-shirt idea. With those printing stores such as Kinkos, the latter would be relatively easy. I don't think you'd be able to put LOTR pictures on them though ... aren't they copyrited (sp)?

I also agree that we should expand the Barrow-Down logo merchandise. I'm talking all the college/universtiy wear such as sweatpants, shorts, socks, sweatshirts, blankets, pennants, baseball caps, keychains, pencils, pens, travel coffee mugs ... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] No? Hmm ...
Old 08-19-2003, 06:22 PM   #24
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

hmm, I used to live in Florida... heh... oooh, Downie Socks!!! why not Downie earmuffs?? If we take a cruise to New Zealand... we could tie a whole bunch of anti-lotr people to the bottom of it, and make them swim the whole way there... bwahahahahahaha then once we get there, force them to watch the animated movies till their eyes bulge, then make them watch the PJ movies and read the books if they haven't all ready.. and once they ask why the cruel and unjust punishment... just reply "What?! I'm a Downie!" [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2003, 09:58 PM   #25
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatáriël Lossëhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

How about a bumper sticker that says:

I HAUNT THE BARROW-DOWNS!!

and have the B-D sword logo just underneath.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:05 PM   #26
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Love it, Alatariel. And I am planning on getting a Barrow-Downs t-shirt sometime soon, hopefully.

I like the megaphone idea. I like the animated-movie idea. In fact, I like it a lot. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] ...
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 10:33 PM   #27
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Alatariel that message is absolutely brilliant! I would definitely buy a bumper sticker that said that.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:58 PM   #28
Eowyn_Wildfire
Animated Skeleton

Eowyn_Wildfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eowyn_Wildfire
Sting

I like all the ideas my favorite is the do the wave bumper sticker
Eowyn_Wildfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 07:38 AM   #29
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Alatariel, I agree, that is a wonderful idea. It even sounds like some of the mods' old sigs. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] How's that for flattery?
Peace
Old 08-20-2003, 10:12 AM   #30
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

Actually, the bumper stickers would work but I have a much better idea. You can have "Barrowdowns" or "Do the wave for Boromir the Disco King" on the bumper stickers/T-shirts/etc. but also you should have your Downs screen name and possibly your avatar on them as well. That way, your fellow Downies could tell not only that you're a Downie, but also who you are. Just a thought.

Oh and by the way don't you think it's time for a worldwide BD event like say, a cruise or something?
Old 08-20-2003, 10:16 AM   #31
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Quote:
We could walk there...
Yes!!!! It could be the "Walk to New Zealand"! Then no one would have to do the Walk to Rivendell, because we'd all get so much exercise! And we could eat lembas on the way! Fun! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Also, "I haunt the Barrow-Downs does sound a lot like the BW's (old?) sig....

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 11:10 AM   #32
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Quote:
We could walk there... course we'd need a really big supply of oxygen tanks so we could breathe under water... unless any of you think you could sprout gills before the premiere
*stops sucking her thumb* Whoa! Trying so hard to grow gills...not working...
Hmm, maybe I should convince the treehuggers that Greyhound buses are bad for the enviroment. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2003, 11:24 AM   #33
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

Quote:
We could walk there... course we'd need a really big supply of oxygen tanks so we could breathe under water... unless any of you think you could sprout gills before the premiere
Either that or steal some Aztec gold and become cursed so we could walk there across the bottom of the ocean without suffocating... of course, we'd have to ask Orlando Bloom if we could borrow some of his blood after we get back...(Any other PotC fans out there?)

CRICKETS: chirp, chirp

[ August 20, 2003: Message edited by: Meneltarmacil ]
Old 08-20-2003, 11:29 AM   #34
Cinderella
Wight

Cinderella has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cinderella
Silmaril

Quote:
...(Any other PotC fans out there?)
OOOOhhhhh!!! Me! Me! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
But I seem to have already sprouted the aforementioned gills. But excellent idea anyway Meneltarmacil! *grins stupidly*
Old 08-20-2003, 02:53 PM   #35
Arien_Tinuviel
Pile O'Bones

Arien_Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

ohoh! yes meee! *huggles potc*

I know what we could do. We'll get a computer hacker dude to make this virus thing that has to do with us Downies and set it off into the world! muwahahahahahahaha! It's brilliant! Brilliant I tell you!
Old 08-20-2003, 03:03 PM   #36
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Sting

Orlando Bloom blood? Eh what? So does he die or something?

For us ladies, we could wear disco ball earrings and carry a large shield...c'mon it'd be cool.

Old 08-20-2003, 03:06 PM   #37
Arien_Tinuviel
Pile O'Bones

Silmaril

*sweat drop* have you not seen potc?
Old 08-20-2003, 03:18 PM   #38
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Sting

Nope. Don't want to either. Really don't. So that's how you all will know me: I'll be at the theater holding sighs saying "You never had any rum in the first place!" and "I'm sick of this, savvy?" signs. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Old 08-20-2003, 05:07 PM   #39
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

Well, for those of us still in school, we could put the BD logo on our binders and backpacks. *stops* hey, I think I'll do that right now...
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 05:10 PM   #40
Arien_Tinuviel
Pile O'Bones

Silmaril

sadly, I don't have any BD merchandise.....*evil grin*...ooh daaaddy!!!