The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2002, 09:16 AM   #41
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

4:30 pm was again so captivating today. I thought my room turned into a portal to Rivendell. I sat on the floor, faced the window and thanked God for everything. My room, my life, my voice, my friends, and for anything that waits me. I thanked God for Tolkien, too. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks for the advice, Mark. I think my brother loosened the strings. I guess I was too shocked to do anything.

I'll be singing at church soon. After two years of not singing for anything in particular, I'll finally be doing what I was born to do. Autumn was a good omen for me this year [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 10:59 AM   #42
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh my gosh, this morning was beautiful. My dad knocked on my door and I got out of bed (didnt step on anything either, my room was very clean...YAY) and I walked downstairs, and I was blinded by the orange yellow light coming through the windows. I looked outside, and I could see the sun just going up, and I could feel the cool autumn air on my face, as the windows were open. I took a bunch of pictures on my digital camera, and the leaves were all gold, yellow, red and orange..

Autumn is still my favorite.

Today I have an audition for a singing and dancing role in a play for a local theatre. YAY!!! My friends and i also decided to do two things. 1) we will record more songs on one friends brothers computer equipment. 2) we will petition to start the church choir back up.

Singing and Autumn just go together, I guess.

Aylwen

[ September 29, 2002: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]

[ September 29, 2002: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 09-29-2002, 01:00 PM   #43
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

How was the sun going down in the morning?
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 09:07 PM   #44
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Question

Autumn is hunting season, too. I'm trying to convince my husband to build a flet (talan) above the deer path that runs through my back yard. He could sit up there, arrow on string, and wait for Voracious Bambi to come by and browse on my forsythia. And the rest of the time, I could sit up there, pretending to be Frodo in Lothlorien on Haldir's flet, listening to Sam snore, or say, "Once I fall asleep, I shall stay asleep, whether I fall off or no. And the sooner you stop talking the sooner I'll drop off, if you take my meaning."

I'm supposed to be too old for this stuff. But it seems that the older I get, the more childish things I do. Or is that, the more hobbitish things I do?
Old 10-05-2002, 09:10 AM   #45
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Mark, imagining your hubby with a bow and arrow while you sit in your back yard is just cute. He reminded me of Legolas, while you, reminded me of when I'd camp out under a shade in our backyard as I play with all of my dolls.

Man, I miss our hammock. It's the rainy season. (the sun and the clouds and the rain are having a love-hate relationship at the moment; in the evenings it's the moon they pick on)

Yoga is so great to do at out backyard (especially at my fave time of the day: 4.30 pm), but everytime I roll out a mat at the back, our crazy dogs run towards me and crash the mat. If I force myself to the yoga in spite of them, I end up smelling like them. eeesh

[ October 05, 2002: Message edited by: Neferchoirwen ]
Old 10-05-2002, 02:30 PM   #46
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

Hah - Voracious Bambi.

Personally the only thing I DON'T like about autumn is high school football. It's really big at my school, and I'm the only one who hates it, apparently.

Instead of going to the games, I climb the tree in my backyard and write poetry. Not very good poetry, but it makes me feel peaceful.
Old 10-05-2002, 08:09 PM   #47
Melichus
Haunting Spirit

Melichus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aside from the rigors of school, autumn...

is my favorite season, with winter at a close second and spring in third. Bringing up the rear is hot-muggy-disgusting, mosquito-and-various-other-annoying-gnat-type-creatures-laden, humid, dog-day summer.

But as for autumn, I love taking walks, especially in late afternoon and dusk, watching the turning leaves slowly dim in the softening twilight. I love the cool, crisp air filling my lungs, I love apple cider (I prefer cold...it seems my taste in drinks is similar to my taste in weather--cold, biting, but refreshing...) and carving pumpkins. Walking on old country roads at sunset, looking over the fields of corn husks and the forests beyond as leaves crunch underfoot, and going on a run late at night, which is pretty fun. I frequently re-read my favorite books in autumn, too. Generally, I am happiest in autumn and have some beautiful memories of this time of year.

If you've ever read the Redwall series by Brian Jacques, he's got some stunning passages devoted to just describing the ancient forests and fields in autumn. I recommend him wholeheartedly.
"The other [theme] had now achieved a unity of its own; but it was loud, and vain, and endlessly repeated; and it had little harmony...and it essayed to drown the other music by the violence of its voice, but it seemed that its most triumphant notes were taken by the other and woven into its own solemn pattern..."
Melichus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 11:03 PM   #48
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

You mean I'm not the only adult to climb trees? Maybe when I get a new home I'll build a flet in my tree. Of course, my home will have many trees, and I will have to have several flets and I'll invite other Elves and Hobbits over to sing and play music in the trees, and hope the Neighbors won't call the police.
Old 10-06-2002, 12:30 AM   #49
Daisy Sandybanks
Wight

Daisy Sandybanks has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daisy Sandybanks Send a message via Yahoo to Daisy Sandybanks
Sting

Quote:
And I find myself jealous of those people in California who are going to celebrate Frodo and Bilbo's birthday with a huge bash.
What?! I didn't know about that! I need to get out more....

Heh, anywho....
I wish that I could be in a snug little Hobbit hole, insted of this big, hollow, freezing house.

Hmmmm... I don't wish for much else, Iv got all that I could have for a plesent Autum: Loving family and friends, calm deep sunsets over the vast blue ocean, warm clothes, and the excitment of feasting on pumpkin pies and turkey thats soaked in gravey. And let me not forget the much anticipated, pleasurable and up and comming Harvest Faire.
Yup, this will definitly been a wonderful time of the year! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2002, 06:37 AM   #50
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was out in my garden yesterday, putting it to bed for winter, and wondering how Sam and the Gaffer ever got all of this work done without the help of electric trimmers, weed-wackers, etc. (I always think of good old Samwise when I'm working in the garden. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] )

Then I cut trough the extention cord with the trimmer, and I found out!

So here's to Sam and all other gardeners. May you have a lovely Harvest Home, a peaceful winter, and sweet dreams of spring.

( [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] The weatherman just said frost tonight!)
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 06:48 AM   #51
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I really love that first frost! Though my garden looks fab now, I'm always thinking ahead. The first frost gets the dahlias and celosia's, all the tomatoes and peppers I quit picking weeks ago, and the cleome and balsam. I wonder if Sam and the gaffer had a "man's garden". You know, straight rows, neat and tidy.I somehow imagine hobbits let mother nature have her way a bit more than "Suburban Joe". That's why they didn't whack weeds or use a chain saw! Remember the clippers Sam held, in the movie, those little sqeeze jobs, probably very sharp! I bet the gaffer didn't let any weeds take hold in his garden! I love fall, cause I can work in the garden and not get all sweaty, really spending some serious time sculpting or changing paths!
Old 10-07-2002, 10:26 PM   #52
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Quote:
Then I cut trough the extention cord with the trimmer, and I found out!
I've broken a trowel,and a pair of pruners, but that's one I've never managed! LOL!

My tulips are all tucked in for the winter; or were till a mole came along...next time I set that trap I'm praying over it!
Old 10-08-2002, 07:29 AM   #53
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

....amen, Rae... But if the trap still fails, plant them in a wire cage.... (THey're probably voles, not moles. )

Yesterday afternoon, in a lovely gust of wind, I drove through falling leaves, for the first time, and thought that Frodo walked through them. Maybe from Bree or so, all the way to Weathertop... By the time they got to Rivendell, the normal leaves must have been mostly fallen. I wonder if Rivendell leaves stayed on longer, due to being in a valley, or maybe due to some elvish influence...
Old 10-09-2002, 10:42 PM   #54
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

I'm not sure I like the idea of the leaves staying on the trees till spring like they did in Lothlorien. It kinda ruins fall! Walking in the leaves in the fall is an unmitigated pleasure!
Old 10-09-2002, 11:14 PM   #55
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Yeah, Raefindel. Why should Elven children be denied the pleasure of jumping into a big ol' pile of leaves? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

And I don't care if you are immortal; nobody could get tired of the smell of burning leaves. (Which I haven't actually smelled in a long time. Dumb ol' city ordinances. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] )
Old 10-10-2002, 09:16 AM   #56
amyrlis
Wight

amyrlis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ah, Autumn is also my favorite time of year too! As the nights get colder and the leaves blow through the grass, I find myself thinking of Frodo's journey to Bree. It would be difficult to dislike autumn, in all it's cool, colorful beauty. Usually it is a fleeting season here, if you blink, you may miss it. It seems the trees change color and lose their leaves in an instant. They say it's due to this summer's drought, but whatever the reason, the fall has lingered and been more brilliant than ever. I journeyed through the "Misty Mountains" a few weeks ago, and although the snow fell one morning, the sun arose to reveal the beauty that has somehow escaped me these past years. The high peaks of the evergreen mountians were crowned with white and the vivid yellow and orange aspen were like fire climbing their sides. In the cool, clean air I could smell the fallen leaves and wood burning stoves and fully behold the richness of the season. I am thankful to have experienced the glory, for it is my last autumn amongst these hills. As Frodo left The Shire and went East to Rivendell, my path is set East as well, and I do not know when I will see my "front door" again.
Old 10-11-2002, 11:56 AM   #57
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Poignant, amyrlis ... I always thought that the Aspens would have made a much better "Golden Wood" than whatever forest PJ used for Lorien... Ah, well.

Today I am at home. And today is apparently Goldberry's Washing Day here in Southern New England.

And I have the BBC CD set to listen to! Which I purchased mainly for the songs... They mention Bilbo's Last Song on it. I wonder if there's a tune...? watch me load the last CD first...
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ October 11, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]

[ October 11, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 10-11-2002, 08:27 PM   #58
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

It rained every 4 pm for 4 days since Sundays. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

But it seemed like God knew I'd be grumpy if it rained on Thursday. I visited one of my former professors on Thursday (I was actually asking for a favor...and the other faculty ended up asking me a favor, too! Imagine that!). I was waiting for her (my prof) to finish the letter I needed from her, and it took her for about less than an hour to finish. Within that span of time, I was worried that I might come home all wet (the winds are a menace). However, when I turned around to see the windows, the semi-closed blinds showed an orange-red lit tree branch, and the gorgeous rust-colored light was fighting the blinds to come in. When I finally got the letter, I walked out of the faculty office and into the hall. The hall had all the doors one side of the wall, and the other side was just half concrete and half windows.

The sky was a mix of pink and light orange, and the clouds looked like pink cotton candy strips. All of a sudden, a groups of birds flew across the view. And below, the buildings looked pleased to be parched, smiling at the setting sun, relieved not to hear thunder nor to see lightning, and most of all, thankful, as I was, that it did not rain.

It's just one of those things that makes me feel closer to God more than I ever.

[ October 11, 2002: Message edited by: Neferchoirwen ]
Old 10-11-2002, 11:52 PM   #59
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

* Rides up in a pony cart laden with fresh-hewn Dwarvish beams of wood smelling of sawdust, an assortment of hammers, nails, adzes, and other carpenter's tools, a large black iron cauldron, new-shining but dented up so it looks like it's been through a war, several smaller kettles of copper and tin, and various other bundles wrapped in coarse blue cloth and tied with thin grey ropes. *

Good greetings Mark12_30, Raefindel, Elenna ...

... and all else present who share the love of the Galadhrim for abiding in trees. I bring wood enough to make our own flets. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ... With plenty left for a campfire to warm our hands and spirits.

* Grabbing up an armload of wood, Gandalf leaps down onto springy long grass dotted with leaves of red, orange, and yellow to set a fire blazing in the same cheery hues. All the while Gandalf gives a running description of the contents of the pony cart: The large cauldron is for mulled cider. The small kettle, for brewing cranberry tea. There are also potatoes and ears of corn to bake and roast at the base of the fire, along with squashes and apples. *

Ah, Harvest Time! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] And then at night, white shooting stars cut an arc through the air's crisp veil, to add their own warmth to eye and memory reflecting against a background of frosted leaves.

Gandalf the Grey
Gandalf_theGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 12:26 AM   #60
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

(Birdie rummages through the bundles of food and cauldrons)

"Hey! Where's the marshmallows?"
Old 10-12-2002, 12:32 AM   #61
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* removes a tightly-capped vial from his pouch and shows it to Birdland *

At present, my friend, I carry only sap from the root of the marshmallow plant, not the candy in its final form. Are you a confectioner, perchance? * hopeful look * [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2002, 01:26 AM   #62
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Gandalf, dude, you rock! ... er... (ahem) ... My dear Gandalf, how kind of you to think of all this and stock up your cart so. Why, look, here's a hammer (how thoughtful of you to bring one.) Which tree shall we start building in? After the campfire gets going, of course.

Bethberry, m'dear, you whip up those marshmallows; I'll unhitch the pony, and go buy the hershey bars and graham crackers. For dessert. And how about some brown sugar for that squash? Be right back.

**curtseys**

--Helen

[ October 12, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 10-13-2002, 01:13 PM   #63
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Gandalf! How thoughtful of you! And I was away and didn't know you came with gifts!

Yes, Lady Rae and Sir Graycloak were celebrating our 18th anniversary. He took me to the Oktoberfest in Leavenworth, Wa. The drive was beautiful; the splashes of red, orange and gold through the mountains was breathtaking.

Thank You, Gandalf for your generous gifts. I happen to be a confectioner and have actually made marshmallows from scratch, they're a pain, and they really don't taste any better, but Hey...I was curious!

*Rae starts a fire and puts on the cider and starts a kettle for tea.*

Here Birdie, Have a marshmallow,the fire's just right.

So Gandalf, I don't suppose you brought some plans or scematics or something like that? *Rae picks up a hammer and swings it* I'm anxious to get started!

[ October 13, 2002: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 10-13-2002, 05:01 PM   #64
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Rae!! So good to see you!

I like the simple rectangular plan. How about that tree over there, the one that overlooks the deer trail?

How high up? Mmmph mmmph. Here, have a s'more. Gandalf, how's that mulled cider coming?

[ October 13, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 10-13-2002, 05:28 PM   #65
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Post One of Two: Describing an Actual Fall/Autumn Experience from Today

Note: (Will answer mark12_30 and Raefindel in the next post!)

So there I was, sitting ashore near the campfire because the canoe was packed with people and I was happy enough to stay behind with the fire, food, and peacefulness. (Well, two out of three aren't bad.) I took up a position nearly right on top of the fire, directly in the path of its wind-borne smoke. What can I say? I love the smell of campfire wood and smoke, so I purposely got as close as I could the better for my clothing to soak up the aroma.

I was reading a book of ancient lore called "Early Native American Recipes and Remedies" by Duane R. Lund. So engrossed in the book, that a sudden heavy gust of wind brought the tent crashing down on me unawares. One of the ladies tending the fire told me she was glad I was sitting there, or the tent would have instead crashed into the kettle of split pea soup!

For an even more cosmic (comic?) fall story about this infamous kettle of split pea soup (and the things that "fall" into it or "be-fall" it!) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img], please see the thread called "13th Warrior" Vs. "Lord of the Rings" in the Movies forum.
http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin...c&f=4&t=001148

Gandalf the Grey

[ October 13, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 10-13-2002, 06:13 PM   #66
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Mmmmmmmmm, home-made marshmallows... (Marshmallow catches on fire and falls into the pea-soup pot. Birdie pokes it to the bottom with a stick.)

"Well, time to get going on that flet!"

Finished my fall bulb planting today, and my fingernails now bear a striking resemblence to those of "movie frodo's" - i.e. - broken and dirty.

Planted seven Allium giganteum, and I can't think of a sillier, more Hobbitish flower to have in the garden. I can't wait til spring.
Old 10-13-2002, 06:15 PM   #67
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Post Two of Two

mark12_30:

Ah, you've come back bearing brown sugar for the squash I see. Many thanks, my friend. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Which tree for our flet do you mean, exactly? We have our pick among maple, aspen, willow, ash, elm, oak ... In any case, a rectangular plan will do nicely. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] As for the mulled cider, it's brewing up nicely, simmering away, ... why it's ready now.

* The wizard thinks quietly to himself, back to how a certain wraith made off with an entire batch of cider from this very cauldron the last time, then drop-kicked the cauldron so that it dashed against jagged rocks and acquired its dents. No need to mention the incident however. For the cauldron has been meanwhile thoroughly cleaned, made fair once more, and can be counted on to be free from any taint of Morgul poison. An Elf who'd come to Gandalf's assistance that other night could vouch for the safety of the cauldron and its contents. *

Raefindel:

Well met ... and a merrier occasion now that our paths have crossed. * bows a friendly greeting * [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Long I've observed you, admiring your eloquence and wisdom from afar. Congratulations on your celebration of 18 years of marriage to Sir Graycloak.

You're quite welcome to share in this small harvest feast along with mark12_30, Birdland, and any others of the Three Kindreds (Elves, Dwarves, and Men) who wish to join us, as well as other allies thereof who be creatures of goodwill.

* stops to wrinkle his nose at Birdie's fallen marshmallow, then continues *

So kind of you to prepare the marshmallows, Raefindel! As for schematics, the Dwarves from whom I obtained the wood provided none. They rather laughed with mirth when told of the lumber's intended use, at the curious (to them) thought of cutting down trees only to lift them back up into the air again as Elves are wont to do. But no matter, we'll manage.

* Meanwhile, the orange warmth of the fire glows comfortingly. The blaze stands firm against the stiff chill breeze that's blown up around it, as people pull cloaks a bit more tightly around shoulders and seek to warm their hands, the better to wield hammer, nail, cider mug, and marshmallow stick. *

[ October 13, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 10-13-2002, 09:00 PM   #68
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

*Nef sheepishly finds a place to sit by the fire*

Greetings, Gandalf! Your incident with the tent and the split pea soup is funny and heartwarming...and if we might share germs with one another on this camp out, I wouldn't mind.
Old 10-13-2002, 09:14 PM   #69
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Hullo, Nef!

Er... share germs? Well, why don't you just have some squash instead? Here, shoulder it. Who needs forks? Mulled cider washes it down quite well.

Oops, I just got melted s'more on my hammer.
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Gandalf, did I say oak? Beech would be more elvish but (ooc: looking out my window) these are on the small side. The oaks are good and big. Especially THAT one.

Birdee, got any crocuses planted this year? Cause I haven't. You could plant some for me, and then PM me in the spring and tell me how they look. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2002, 09:40 PM   #70
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Crocuses? (croci?) You bet. Sieberi tricolor planted around my redbud tree, outside the living room window where I can sip mulled cider and see them when it is too miserable to go outside.

And lots of daff-a-down-dillies to brighten the walk to the garage come spring. Tulips, oxallis, dwarf iris, crocosmia...put me a plant store come fall and I go plum bulb crazy! I must have some Dutch in me. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2002, 02:19 PM   #71
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

I did not plant any new Daffs this year, but over 100 tulips. The moles got them last year and it looks like they tried having their way with them again this year. I'll have to wait till spring and see what's left.

My Bearded Irises were so prolific this year I gave over 100 away! ( I even gave some to Samwise) They are my favorite. They grew to almost 5 feet this year!

Greetings to you as well Gandalf. Have I been sharing wisdom? I was not aware of it. I have a tendancy toward silliness, and tend to avoid "serious conversations". Maybe someday I will get brave enough to join you in an RPG.

Oh, Thank You Gandalf, for the Anniversary greeting.

An as for flets, I prefer this design.

[ December 08, 2002: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 10-14-2002, 10:30 PM   #72
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Neferchoirwen:

Hail and well met! * would bow a greeting but is crouched over ladling steaming cider into glazed earthen mugs in shades of light sand and deep blue * So you think the collapsing tent and split pea soup incident was funny? Careful then, where you sit, and what you eat or drink. But then, one of the finest imports of autumn is, it's the season for treats and tricks. * hands you a full mug with a mischievous grin * [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

mark12_30:

How about we go with Raefindel's planned flet? As for the variety of tree, I'm certain there's never been an Elf who met an oak he didn't like. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Raefindel:

But the silly and the sublime are kin, and so too wit and wisdom. And I commend you on your choice of flet. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

As for flower planting, to do so, one must have a home and garden. I've neither, but only the two rows along either side of my road whence to view the wildflowers.

~~ Gandalf the Grey
Old 10-14-2002, 11:42 PM   #73
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Poor ol' Grey Wanderer. No garden. Here...(Birdie hands gandalf a crocus bulb) No! Don't add it to the soup pot!

Put it in a saucer with some gravel and water and place it on your writing desk. Then you'll have a crocus to look at when you tire of pondering Elvish Lore.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:58 PM   #74
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Why thank you, Birdie! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

* accepts the crocus bulb with a half-bow from a sitting position *

Writing desk, writing desk ... * looks around, while duly placing the bulb on a sandy-blue earthen plate, adding dirt (as it happens, mixed with ashes) and dousing it with water from a nearby bucket * ...

Ah, there's a good portable desk. * gets up, sets the planted crocus bulb plate down for a moment, grabs up an axe, cleaves a log asunder, and sets the plate upon the stump *

[ October 15, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 10-15-2002, 12:41 AM   #75
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Nooooo, Gandalf...on a desk that's inside, where it's warm.

(Sigh) Silly Wizard.

Silly Wizard?...Time for a song!

John Barleycorn to the sea has gone, in a ship both stout and new,
The thirst to slake of Captain Drake and all his loyal crew.
He'll venture brave through wind and wave, the Spanish for to halt,
And though he'll die by Spanish grape, he'll live as English malt.

So we'll cut him down and we'll wind him around
And we'll serve him worse than that.
We'll grind his bones between two stones
And we'll bung him in a vat.
And we'll drink his health in nut-brown ale,
And we'll drain our tankards dry,
For before that he can live again,
John Barleycorn must die!
Old 10-15-2002, 04:06 AM   #76
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Oooooooooh, marshmallow s'mores - can I come too? I don't get those here... I offer my skills as a split-pea soup cook - mine tastes great, even without the stranger ingredients you've mentioned, Gandalf. And I can share my autumnal LotR moments: First one was driving through a street lined with trees; the trunks went way up, branches starting very high and leaves just turning golden-green. I felt like I was in Lothlórien.

Second was gathering edible chestnuts (marrons) that had fallen from the trees planted in beds by the street where we live. Preparing them felt very hobbity, though I must say it got more and more tedious to shell them, especially removing the skin. But they tasted wonderful baked with Brussel sprouts (recipe courtesy of my trusty and much-used 'Joy of Cooking' - no other cookbook has basics like that - including a recipe for making marshmallows, by the way!). Hey, I could pick up some more and bring them along for roasting! I'm sure the chore of shelling them is more enjoyable together with others, sipping mulled cider. And we could sing "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire..." - oops, it's a bit early for that one!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 04:38 AM   #77
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Estelyn, here, have a s'more... double-chocolate, double-smushmallow. Every now and then I skip the graham cracker altogether. Gooey though.

Chestnuts? Excellent. I do believe that Tolkien approved of Chestnut trees, especially their blooms in the late spring.
What gives me that impression, I can't say. Hmmm. Perhaps some cider will jog my memory.

Rae, do you have a design for that eye-shaped flet or are we just going to eyeball it? (waving saw around) And how high do we want to build it?
Old 10-15-2002, 06:31 AM   #78
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Gandalf:Thank you, Gandalf *recieves mug with a mild grin, but keeps an eye on Gandalf* But I also mentioned that I found the incident heartwarming--I've had my own tent memories *smiles and sips from the mug*

Oh thank God! It didn't rain today! But I never got to see the sunset. Too cloudy [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2002, 09:38 AM   #79
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

*Rae unrolls the plans*

You like that, do you? Yes, I prefered the shape of these ones. I'd build it just above the lowest branches, so we can watch passers-by and either serenade them or laugh at them whichever seems appropriate.And we'll make another just above it but around to the side just a bit so we can separate the strings from the woodwinds. I brought my violin, but I won't play until we have a flet built. Hey, Hey, Hey... don't step on the mushrooms! The Hobbits'll have your head for that!

How are the marshmallows? When you make them from scratch they are easy to make into shapes, see I cut them into squares to fit on the graham crackers.
Old 10-15-2002, 09:55 AM   #80
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Ah! Silly me. I thought you cut them into squares so that they would fit better on the chocolate bars. They are delicious, of course.