The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2004, 04:59 PM   #1
Sauron_the_Abhorred
Animated Skeleton

Sauron_the_Abhorred has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Questions on Pronunciation

I just wanted to know the pronunciations of the words Smeagol and Numenore. Is Smeagol Smee-gol, or Smay-uh-gol,

Is Numenore Nu-men-ore-ay or Nu-men-ore?
Sauron_the_Abhorred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 05:12 PM   #2
Pherrogwen

Smeagol

Hi Sauron. I think it's definetely Smee-gol because that's how they say it in the movie. I'm not sure about the Numenore. But I've never read the books sooooo.... I probably don't know as much as someone who has read the books. :-)
Old 05-04-2004, 05:24 PM   #3
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Shield Ah well

Tolkien nearly always hardly without exception had the e and the end of words pronounced. So it would be Nu-men-ore-ay.

I was thinkin since the e in Smeagol is accented the same way as in Theoden, it would me Smay-uh-gol. And just because they pronounce it in the movie a certain way does not mean it is correct. I happen to know for a fact that they pronounce Earendil wrong in the movie.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:36 PM   #4
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I thought you were only supposed to pronouce the "e" at the end if there were the two dots over it. So it would be "nu-me-nore".

But is it 'LE-go-las' or "le-GO-las'?
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 06:11 PM   #5
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
I think it's definetely Smee-gol because that's how they say it in the movie.
Yeah, but they also pronounced Eärendil, eh-ren-deel.

I assume by 'Numenore' you mean Númenórë, the Quenya name for Numenor. It was pronounced Noo-meh-noh-reh in Quenya (this is a rough pronunciation guide... there are subtle guidelines about how to pronounce vowels in Elvish which are too complicated to explain here). 'Numenor' is roughly pronounced Noo-men-oar.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:38 PM   #6
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Okay, just checked Appen. and the final "e" is ALWAYS pronouced, and OFTEN (but not consistently) has the two dots over it.

And in continuation of my other question: I really asked the question rhetorically. There's no doubt in my mind it's 'LE-go-las.'
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 06:35 AM   #7
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
_Sméagol_ is actually modernized Old English, which is why you can either choose to use the OE pronunciation rules (ea begins with the sound of e and glides towards the back of the mouth, giving a sound not unlike that in 'bared, Baird'; éa is similar but beginning with the vowel é); or modernize according to the way those sounds changed into the form they have now.
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 05:51 PM   #8
FairLadyGoldberry
Pile O'Bones

FairLadyGoldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to FairLadyGoldberry
So how do you pronounce Eärendil?
Old 05-05-2004, 06:03 PM   #9
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
In my rough estimate:
Ey-(rhymes with "day")-ah-ren-deel

This is kind of like Americans trying to roll the R in Spanish- it is imprecise... As Angmar said, Elvish vowels are pronounced slightly differently than English vowels.
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 05:58 PM   #10
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Question Ea and Eo

It says in the appendices on LOTR "On Pronunciation" that Ea and Eo in elvish are ALWAYS pronounced as two syllables. It is E-ar-en-deel. In the movie they say something like Ear-en-deel. That's is wrong, so jsut beacsue they say it a way in the movie does nto make it right.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:53 PM   #11
Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Bombadil
Boots

I always thought when pronouncing Earendil, the E and the A kind of blended. So it would be pronunced in "elvish prose," if there is such a thing, as:

yar-en-deel

(of course with a hard "R" and a tiny accent of an E sound before the Y)

correct me if I'm wrong!
Old 05-06-2004, 07:11 PM   #12
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
I always pronouncedit as a kind of subtle ayr-en-diil

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 10:41 PM   #13
Amariden Ravenhill
Wight

Amariden Ravenhill has just left Hobbiton.
I have a friend who is trying to teach himself correct pronunciation of Elven names and he want to know how Feanor is pronounced: He pronounces it Fay-AH-nor while his brother says it's Fay-An-or

Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë!
Amariden Ravenhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 06:02 AM   #14
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
The pronaunciation of Eärendil: all the vowels are pronaunced separately ->" E" like in the word "there" (the first e), "ä" like in the word "father" (the ä only being short), "r" is always (or at least very often) trilled in Elvish, "e" in the same way as the first one and "i" like in the word "machine". If I recall right the accent (or what ever it is called) is in the very beginning of the word -> EÄrendil.
I don't know if you understood my confusing explanation at all but I tried my best. The pronaunciation in Elvish is the same as in Finnish if that helps you . There are quite good directions in the appendix and of course here: http://move.to/ardalambion
Old 05-11-2004, 08:20 PM   #15
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mad Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Look in the back of Return of the King, in Appendix E; there is a lot of help on pronunciation.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:19 AM   #16
Bethelarien

Being as much of a nerd as I am, I'm currently learning Elvish. So perhaps I can help a bit. This is how these names should technically be pronounced, though naturally people slur words and sounds together. Stressed syllables are in all caps.

Smeagol= SMAY-uh-gol

Numenore= Noo-meh-NOR-ay or Noo-meh-NOR-eh

Legolas= LEh-go-las

Eärendil= Ay-eh-REN-dil (dil being pronounced more like 'deel')

Feanor= FAY-eh-nor

If you would like the specific rules for pronunciation, let me know. There are reasons why the stress falls where it does.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:14 AM   #17
Frodo2968thewhite
Haunting Spirit

Frodo2968thewhite has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Frodo2968thewhite
Tolkien

Suliad, Mellyn nin. Lle quena i'lambe tel' Eldalie? Amin n'rangwa edanea!

Okay, I can tell many people are confused here, so I have come to help. I am a tolkienologist, almost fluent in elvish, and have read the books 10 times (almost 11). One thing I have learned about elvish, both Sindarin and Quenya, is that most words are painfully literal in their pronunciation. Even in the movies. If you can recall in FOTR, at the Door of Durin at Moria. Frodo asks what the elvish word for 'friend' is, and Gandalf says "Mellon", but the way he says it, there are 2 beats on the 'LL'. So he put a beat per letter. Anyways, lets move on...

Okay, lets start with Smeagol: we must remember that 'Smeagol' is NOT elvish at all. It is only the anglicized equivalent of 'Trahald' (which is what Gollum's friends and family REALLY called him). Smeagol, in turn, is pronounced "smee-gol", according to that language.

Next up is Feanor and Earendil...these two are one and the same, both having the "ea". and with the accent mark over the 'e', that would make the pronunciation "ey-AH-ren-dil" and "FEY-eh-nor" (the 'EY' in 'FEY' is like that in 'Hey')

'Legolas' is pronounced "LEH-goh-las" and 'Numenore' is pronounced "Nu-meh-NORR-ay" with extra stress on the 'R'.

Also, many people do not know the correct pronnunciation of 'Elendil'. It is pronounced "el-EN-dee-il", breaking the 'I' into two parts, also with the stress on "EN" instead of the before-thought "DIL".
Hopefully this makes some issues clear! Namaarie!
Old 06-07-2004, 11:39 AM   #18
Iaurhirwen
Wight

Iaurhirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Iaurhirwen
The Encyclopedia of Arda is an excelent source for pronunciations. They seem to be pretty acurate and show some good research into Tolkien's works and other languages for their pronunciation guides. Though I did notice that their pronunciation of Smeagol is different from the two ways it is normally pronounced.

I say we just hold a seance - call up Tolkien's ghost - and ask he to clarify everything we have disgrepensies (sp?) over. I don't know. These arguments have been going on for decades and I don't know if we'll ever come to complete agreement.
"Will somebody find my pants?" - "What do you do with a drunkin sailor?" - "You have a giant mole!!!!" - "Tom!! Get out of the Girls's dressing room!" "But she asked me to help find her pants!!" - - - opening night chaos
Iaurhirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 12:22 PM   #19
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Something about your claim you're a Tolkienologist doesn't rhyme with using Grey Company Elvish.
Also your explanations differ in instances from the sources such as Appendix F.
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 03:19 PM   #20
Frodo2968thewhite
Haunting Spirit

Frodo2968thewhite has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Frodo2968thewhite
Pipe

Okay, you seem very knowledgeable, Sharku. And I am sure we can agree that there is no single correct dictionary of the Elvish language avaliable, correct? Well in that case, I have chosen the closest one I can find. And no matter what you say, my research has proven Grey Company has the most authentic dictionary avaliable on the internet. I have been studying tolkiens works for decades, and these explanations can be proven using the books and other works and manuscripts of Professor Tolkien and his son, Christopher Tolkien.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:59 PM   #21
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
From the Ardalambion site (link given above) here is:

Elvish Pronunciation Guide

with audio examples.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:04 PM   #22
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Are you Frodo2968 sure about the pronaunciation of Eärendil? I don't meant to offend anybody or doubt anyone's knowledge but I was quite sure about Eärendil's pronaunciation which slightly differs from your view. In Quenya there are certain diphthongs, groups of two basic vowels pronounced together as one syllable: There are three diphthongs in -i (ai, oi, ui) and three in -u (au, eu, iu, though the diphthongs eu and iu are quite rare). So there isn't such a syllable as "ea" (which we already knew since there are the two dots above that "ä").

Next quote is from Ardalambion: "Quenya vowels are pure. For people who want to pronounce Elvish vowels with some degree of accuracy, Tolkien recommended Italian vowels as a model. Speakers of English have an ingrained habit of blurring many vowels, especially when they are not fully stressed; hence in a word like banana it is typically only the middle A that comes out as a "proper" A-sound. The two other A's, that are not stressed, are typically made to sound like a blurred, obscure "reduction vowel" that linguists call a schwa (from a Hebrew word for nothingness; English textbooks sometimes prefer the spelling "shwa"). But in Quenya all vowels, in all positions, must be clearly and distinctly pronounced; any tendencies to "blur" them must be strongly resisted."

Anyone who agrees with this can find the pronaunciation directions for the rest of the vowels from my previous post or more likely from the Ardalambion's Quenya course.

[edit: sorry pio, I posted cross with you...since your link is there, there's no need for my explanation but I'll let it stay anyway ]

Last edited by dancing spawn of ungoliant; 06-08-2004 at 02:09 PM.
dancing spawn of ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 01:33 PM   #23
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
I just pronounce the way the names sound the most beautiful to me.
Basically I turn around the english way of pronouncing things. I make the A not sound as in the word say but the way they say the A in the spanish alphabet. ( I don't do that for Aerendil though) and I make the e not as in eat but as the e in end.

I don't really care if I don't pronounce them completly correct, I will probably learn elvish someday anyway.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:29 AM   #24
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe Eärendel

The umlauted 'a' in Eärendil indicates that the 'a' be pronounced separately from the 'E'. This name has its ultimate origin in a line from the Old-English Exeter Book: "Eala Earendel, engla beorhtest ofer Middangeard monnum sended", and retains the Old-English pronunciation in its later form.
Old 06-12-2004, 06:44 PM   #25
Carnimírië
Wight

Carnimírië has just left Hobbiton.
I've always wondered how Gríma is pronounced..."grima" or "greema" or "grime-ah"... I assume it's Old English.

Sister of The Elf Warrior
Carnimírië is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 01:46 PM   #26
Arwen Evenstar

Arwen Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen Evenstar Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Evenstar
Question

Welcome to the Barrow-Downs, Carnimírië!

Grima, is pronounced grEEma.

I had a question on the Silmarilion. I know you have to pronounce both Ns in Yavanna, but how? Is the second a long?

Also, is Feanor pronounced fAY-a-nor or fEE-a-nor?
Arwen Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 01:53 PM   #27
Carnimírië
Wight

Carnimírië has just left Hobbiton.
Thanks, Arwen Evenstar

I'm no expert on the subject of pronunciation, but for what it's worth I always pronounce Fëanor fay-a-nor. I hope that is correct, seeing as he's my favorite character

Sister of The Elf Warrior
Carnimírië is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 05:01 PM   #28
Arwen Evenstar

Arwen Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen Evenstar Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Evenstar
Thumbs up

I though Feanor was probably pronounced fay-a-nor, but I needed a second opinion. Thanks, Carnimírië!
Arwen Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 03:44 PM   #29
Rilwen Gamgee

Rilwen Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
I know you have to pronounce both Ns in Yavanna, but how? Is the second a long?
Instead of ya-VA-na, one would hold the 'n' sound a bit longer, like ya-VAHN-na. I hope that helps.
Rilwen Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote