The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-04-2007, 09:49 PM   #41
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Formendacil is correct, Cirdan is literally ages older than Galadriel; in fact, I think it's safe to say Cirdan was the oldest Elf existing outside of Aman (at least of any named Elf in the story). To me, it seems Tolkien used a long beard as an outward symbol of Cirdan's immense longevity.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:06 AM   #42
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewM
On the subject of hair color-

Do you think that when Tolkien described a character with dark hair that it was always raven? What about dark brown? Faramir's hair is described as raven when it mixes with Eowyn's in the wind, however black hair is seen in our modern world predominately in the Asian culture, although it is possible in a European background I'm sure. What color do you think "dark hair" meant? I like to think he meant dark brown, as well as raven.
Black or dark hair was the predominant colouring allegedly, together with blue eyes, for the Britons. So the classic dark haired Elf/Numenorean is like one of the original Britons or Celts. The Fair colouring was primarily associated with Anglo-Saxons, whereas Ginger was mostly associated with the Scandinavians (which is maybe why so many Scots and Irish have this colouring).

Of course, these are not hard and fast rules as people had been coming in and out of the islands for millennia, but it would be nice if there was some kind of cultural metaphor in the mingling of Faramir & Eowyn's hair - as there seems to be!
Old 06-05-2007, 09:47 AM   #43
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
Black or dark hair was the predominant colouring allegedly, together with blue eyes, for the Britons. So the classic dark haired Elf/Numenorean is like one of the original Britons or Celts. The Fair colouring was primarily associated with Anglo-Saxons, whereas Ginger was mostly associated with the Scandinavians (which is maybe why so many Scots and Irish have this colouring).

Of course, these are not hard and fast rules as people had been coming in and out of the islands for millennia, but it would be nice if there was some kind of cultural metaphor in the mingling of Faramir & Eowyn's hair - as there seems to be!
Indeed- thanks for that, I wasn't aware that the hair colour of the Britons and Celts was predominately black/dark. Interesting. I'm sure "dark" would constiute as a dark brown, as well. Good catch on the mingling hair too, I would not doubt it. Thanks again!
Old 07-20-2010, 06:21 AM   #44
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewM View Post
On the subject of hair color-

Do you think that when Tolkien described a character with dark hair that it was always raven? What about dark brown? Faramir's hair is described as raven when it mixes with Eowyn's in the wind, however black hair is seen in our modern world predominately in the Asian culture, although it is possible in a European background I'm sure. What color do you think "dark hair" meant? I like to think he meant dark brown, as well as raven.
I suppose technically it is very dark brown but I have always thought that Daniel Day Lewis typified the colouring Tolkien means for the noldor and numenoreans... very dark hair, pale skin and light eyes.. not common of course because the gene for light hair isn't dominant but a definite celtic "type".

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #45
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Do you think that when Tolkien described a character with dark hair that it was always raven? What about dark brown? (...) What color do you think "dark hair" meant? I like to think he meant dark brown, as well as raven.
Tolkien did some more thinking about hair colour after The Lord of the Rings was published of course, however, once again JRRT was not against changing his mind! In an Elven context at least, there's a stem appearing in Words, Phrases and Passages (from which work the rest of the following citations are taken as well, before we get to the Shibboleth of Feanor):

Quote:
ÑGOL 'dark-hued, dark-brown'
And within a deleted entry for stem GWAY it was noted: 'morna black of hair; hróva, dark, dark brown'. The entry included a rejected passage concerning the Mindi (or first clan) noting that: '... The Noldor were generally hróva or morna. But fair-hair also occured among them especially by intermarriage.' Again the entire entry (which I did not give here) for GWAY was deleted in any case.

Also, outside of the section on roots, one can see the significance of the root ÑGOL above, as Tolkien had encountered the word used for one of his famed clans, and seemed ready (at this point anyway) to make a notable revision:

Quote:
Q. noldo 'Delete all references of Ñoldo to 'wisdom, lore!'
Within which it's noted: 'The predominant colour of Ñoldorin hair was very dark brown (no Elf had absolute black hair: morna), but by intermarriage fair-hair occured among them: as e.g. in Finrod & Galadriel (after Indis).'

In any event we know that ñgol- was revised back again, as shown in the later text The Shibboleth of Feanor for example, referring once more to a type of wisdom (not as a root connected to Noldorin hair colour). And in the same text Finwe is described with 'black' hair (note 19): 'He had black hair, but brilliant grey-blue eyes.'

There is also note 61 to The Shibboleth of Feanor, concerning Nerdanel's father: 'His hair was not as dark or black as was that of most of the Noldor, but brown, and had glints of coppery-red in it.'

So one can make of this much as he or she will, but all in all I tend to think that Tolkien's 'dark' could generally include brown and black.

Last edited by Galin; 08-18-2010 at 07:15 AM.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:21 AM   #46
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Beards are given to those of less nobility? No, I don't think so. All the Wizards had beards, and Wizards were (or at least meant to be) a noble race, an order of the Valar. Círdan was a highly respected Elf, and certainly of no less stature than anyone else. And, as someone up there mentioned, Theoden had a beard (I don't think I need to elaborate on this one).
As for Elves being beardless, I think it would have been a symbol of everlasting physical youth (perhaps). A beard is generally taken to be a sign of maturity (let's forget the Dwarves for a moment).

Well. I can't really understand what I wrote, but anyway...