The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2002, 09:02 AM   #1
MallornLeaf
Haunting Spirit

MallornLeaf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MallornLeaf
Silmaril Soundtrack Favorites

I'm assuming many of us have the movie soundtrack, and If you're like me, you still listen to it quite a bit! What are your favorite tracks and why? personally, my favorite song is 13-the bridge of khazad-dum. It's just so dramatic and it works the main theme into it, but then at the end it gets slow and sad... its just perfect! I also like 2 a lot (the hobbit song) b/c its cute and sweet and it reminds me of Frodo and Gandalf's entertaining little ride through hobbiton. and 17 i just like for no reason at all (except i'm not that crazy about the "In Dreams" part). And of course, lets give a round of applause for Howard Shore on his Academy award for best soundtrack, and for Enya for her "May it Be" nomination!!! *loud applause and screams and cheers*

"I pass the test, I will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel."
MallornLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 09:27 AM   #2
Nufaciel
Wight

Nufaciel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My favorite was the song Lothlorien, but I love all the songs. I really don't have one that I dislike at all. I particularly love Lothlorien because it's somber and beautiful.(and I know the words!)
Old 06-13-2002, 09:44 AM   #3
The-Elf-Herself
Haunting Spirit

The-Elf-Herself has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My fave would be both "A Journey in the Dark" and "The Bridge of Khazad-Dum". "A Journey in the Dark" is so hauntingly beautiful, and it segues perfectly into "The Bridge of Khazad-Dum". Besides, the end of the latter song is the only music I've head that makes me tear up.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:17 AM   #4
Naaramare
Wight

Naaramare has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Naaramare
Sting

17, Breaking of the Fellowship. Beyond all doubt, and there is a reason why.<P>It is as close as I've ever found in music to my idea of the Third Theme of Illuvatar. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The one was deep and wide and beautiful, but slow and blended with an immeasurable sorrow, from which it's beauty chiefly came.<BR>Aindulindale, pg 17 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>There isn't a time in that piece of music when I don't want to cry. I've ruthlessly borrowed it for mood music for my own stories, because it does bring me that reaction. It's a glorious piece of music.<P>[ edit ] Oh, and my only problem with "In Dreams" is the boy soprano's bad diction! ^^ Being a classically trained soprano myself, I pick out all the times he <I>should</I> have enunciated a d, or a c, more clearly and didn't! Other than that, I love the piece. I want to find the music for it, as it would make a lovely solo . . . [/ edit ]<P>On another note, seeing as I'm talking about the soundtrack and the Silmarillion, has anyone else noted the fact that the themes belonging to Saruman and Sauron's minions always get resolved into one of the heroic themes?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The other had now achieved a unity of its own; but it was loud, and vain, and endlessly repeated; and it had little harmony, but rahter a clamourous unison as of many trumpets braying upon a few notes . . .but it seemd that its most triumphant notes were taken by the other and woven into its own solemn pattersn.<BR>Ainulindale, pg 17 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Remind anyone of the Nazgul's music from such tracks as Shadow of the Past? Or Flight to the Ford? ^~<p>[ June 13, 2002: Message edited by: Naaramare ]

si man i yulma nin equantuva? [my blog]
Naaramare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 02:42 PM   #5
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dűm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
who knows.<BR>my fav would be a journey in the dark. i dont know why. </color>
Old 06-13-2002, 02:48 PM   #6
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Silmaril

i think i love them all! Still i think one of my favourites is May It Be, but i also like Concerning Hobbits because it's so sweet. I also like Lothlorien, but the scarier ones never fail to send a shiver up my spine.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:20 PM   #7
Thinlaithion

Ring

I liked A knife in the dark the most, it had a good tune, and had the eerie chanting in the background. Lothlorien was a good song but, like Galadriel, it was a bit creepy. Also, Concering Hobbits was a good song, light and upbeat like hobbits are.
Old 06-13-2002, 05:20 PM   #8
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I don't have the soundtrack, but I (obviously) heard the music and I think that the hobbit song is very sweet and hobbit-like.
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 06:27 PM   #9
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmmm. My favorites would be 2, 10, 11, 13, 17 and 18. I like the In Dreams part! I admit the pronounciation sounded a bit off, but I still like it. Oh, well! I like 2 because it is the hobbit theme song and is very happy. 10 because it has the Arwen/Aragorn theme song, 11 because it has the main theme. 13 because it has a very dramatic main theme and the stuff that happened in Moria. 17 because of In Dreams and 18 because it is May it Be.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> When the cold of winter comes<BR>Starless night will cover day...<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 06-13-2002, 06:53 PM   #10
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

* smokes a contemplative bowl of pipeweed *<P>Like <B>MallornLeaf, Varda, Thinlaithion, Nevfeniel, </B> and <B>Arwen Imladris,</B> ...<P>I also choose <B>"Concerning Hobbits"</B> as my favorite song from the soundtrack.<P>How fortunate are the rest of you, for whom "Concerning Hobbits" evokes only sweetness, the upbeat, and happiness. The song is for me also tinged with wistful yearning ... even pain ... sharp as the glancing touch of a white sword. For though I can visit the Shire, it is not my doom to settle permanently into its comfort. Which truth then reminds me of the Realm beyond the Western Sea ... and that neither am I yet arrived to leave off wandering, at the home awaiting there. And still, it remains the song I choose.<P>Gandalf the Grey
Gandalf_theGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 09:03 PM   #11
TarElendil
Wight

TarElendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i loved the Lothlorien track. <BR>My favorite is probably Amon-Hen tho or the breaking of the fellowship.
TarElendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 09:45 PM   #12
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

My fav songs are:

1)"Concerning Hobbits"-it is so cheerful and I love fiddle music

2)"At the Sign of the Prancing Pony"-I love the cello music and also the ending

3)"Many Meeting"-it sounds so beautiful!

4)"The Council of Elrond"-it has "Aniron" in it. Enya has the prettiest voice! And I love the Elvish.

5)"Lothlorien"-it sounds so fantasy like and the "Lament for Gandalf" is so pretty!

6)"The Breaking of the Fellowship"-it includes "In Dreams." I love that song and have all the words memorized.

7)"May it Be"-I like the words and as I said before, I love Enya's voice!

Last edited by Brinniel; 02-05-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 10:56 PM   #13
Naaramare
Wight

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I admit the pronounciation sounded a bit off <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ohhh, not the pronunciation, the diction! Listen quite carefully, and you'll find all sorts of times that wonderfully clear boy soprano doesn't sing his M's on "dreams" or his D's on "and". ::grins:: Singing is my life, next to writing, and I notice these things. Mostly because I know if <I>I</I> were to miss something like that, my vocal coach would kill me!

Old 06-13-2002, 11:47 PM   #14
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Well, I love the whole CD, but my three favorites are...<BR>"A Journey in the Dark," "Concerning Hobbits," and "The Breaking of the Fellowship."<BR>I love all of these because they are all uniquely different, but they still fit the whole very well. I love that Howard Shore used almost everything possible for one soundtrack - I especially enjoy his use of almost every vocal rang in a choir.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 08:49 PM   #15
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sorry Naaramare! I don't actually know that much about singing, it just sounded weird. Oh well. That is cool! Thank you!
Old 06-14-2002, 09:01 PM   #16
Naaramare
Wight

Tolkien

*L* Don't worry about it, Arwen (believe it or not, Arwen is my legal middle name . ..thanks, dad ^~). I can't hardly expect everyone to be a vocal-music freak. ::grins::

Old 06-14-2002, 10:06 PM   #17
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Hi, I have a comment about "In Dreams"... the tune is "Concerning Hobbits", which is a great tune, so I love the tune. But I do not like the lyrics, no-sir, not one bit, because they weren't written for Hobbits. They were written (By Tolkien) for Entwives. The lyrics are full of despair, and I hate that being sung "over" Frodo and the other hobbits. Those lyrics belong to the Entwives and the Ents who miss them, not to hobbits.<P>Great lyrics to sing over hobbits: "May It Be". Sad enough, but with a seed of hope. A promise lives within you now... I think Tolkien would have approved of the lyrics to May It Be. I don't think he would have approved of the Ent/Entwife despair of "In Dreams" being sung over Frodo, IMHO...<P>Favorite tune, I would have to say is Breaking of the Fellowship. But Concerning Hobbits is good wherever it shows up! (Except for "In Dreams, " okay sorry, I said that already...)
Old 06-15-2002, 08:29 AM   #18
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dűm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I like 'The Council of Elrond' (or whatever it's titled; the one with the theme for Arwen and Aragorn), 'Bridge of Khazad-dűm', 'May it be' and 'The breaking of the Fellowship' (can't remember if that's the correct name, as my soundtrack is not with me at the moment, but nr. 17) the best. They have a shared nr. 1. The rest share nr. 2
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 09:10 AM   #19
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Naaramare...<P>Pronunciation is same thing as what you're talking about. The most common use of the word 'diction' is the one that notes the choice of words used. In reguards to vocal music, it's "pronunciation and enunciation of words in singing." So "pronunciation" is just as okay a description as "diction"...it gets the point across.<P>Also, being a music major myself, I must say that if Shore and the others involved would've cared about the singer's diction, they would've had it corrected. They are, after all, more well-versed in classical music than any of us here.
Old 06-15-2002, 10:56 AM   #20
Mornie Alantie
Wight

Location: Somewhere above earth cause people say i should come down to it
Mornie Alantie has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lets see my favorite, well i have several, about 18 in fact. 1 is great for when you are working and you wanna listen, 2 is so hobbitishly cool (!?!) 3 has that sweet part of barad-dur, 4 is cool cause it has the voice thing when Gandalf and Saruman fight it out and so on But my favorite is The Bridge of Khaza-Dum!
Old 06-15-2002, 11:48 AM   #21
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Oh, I loved the soundtrack! I thought it was so beautiful. My favorites gotta be (no order yet):<P>2. Concerning Hobbits, because it reminds me of the good ol' Shire and Sam, Frodo, Gandalf, Bilbo..etc.<P>7. A Knife in the Dark, because it has that creepy, cool sound.<P>10. Aniron, Theme of Aragorn and Arwen, because it's so beautiful, and it has a great sound. Very nice song.<P>14. Lothlorien, I love this song. It sounds so cool. It's really pretty, peaceful, and yet mysterious and a little creepy. <P>16. Amon Hen, I love this song too. It has an awesome sound. Mysterious a bit too.<P>17. The Breaking of the Fellowship, because it always makes me so sad!! I hear this song, and think of what happened to Boromir...*sniffle* and then Sam and Frodo leaving. So sad..<P>18. May It Be, is just a beautiful song. Makes me cry too! Poor Frodo!! That's all I see when I hear it; Frodo standing by the shores of Anduin with the ring in his hand.
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 12:15 PM   #22
Artilien
Pile O'Bones

Artilien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Artilien
1420!

My favourite song is The Bridge of Khazad-Dum, i dont know why. but I also like in dreams and may it be. actually i love all the songs
Old 06-15-2002, 12:18 PM   #23
Beleglas
Pile O'Bones

Beleglas has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Lothlorien and Amon Hen. Especially Amon Hen is great, the building up of a great tension by the drums, then the passing away of the rest of the music... after which the drums stop and the music turns calm...<BR>Just great!
Beleglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 01:04 PM   #24
MallornLeaf
Haunting Spirit

MallornLeaf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MallornLeaf
Silmaril

This is so cool! i had no idea this would be such an active topic and that EVERYONE loves the soundtrack as much as me!!! I forgot to mention that i also really like may it be. and as mornie said... i have about 18 favorites. I like them all! The only reason I'm not crazy about the "in dreams" is b/c i think the guy that sings it sounds like a girl and that bothers me.

"I pass the test, I will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel."
MallornLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 01:10 PM   #25
Naaramare
Wight

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Also, being a music major myself, I must say that if Shore and the others involved would've cared about the singer's diction, they would've had it corrected. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>:: shrugs:: Just because they didn't, doesn't make it right, and it does obscure the words in that particular song. And I use diction with a particular meaning, as do all the teachers I've ever had and that's the enunciation and clarity of the words. Pronunciation is slightly different; "a-more" instead of "ah-mor-eh", for example.<P>The soprano has a lovely clear voice, and horrible diction. I applaud him on the one hand and am rather disappointed in him on the other.

Old 06-15-2002, 01:17 PM   #26
Veritas
Wight

Veritas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Number 1) Lothlorien<BR>number 2) Flight to the Ford<BR>number 3) The bridge of Khazad Dum/Amon Hen
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 07:40 AM   #27
stone of vision
Haunting Spirit

stone of vision has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

It is obvious that though I love the whole soundtrack, some songs resonates in me stronger and haunt me creating an atmosphere favourable for dreaming time.<BR>These are <BR>1- a knife in the dark<BR>2-Aniron<BR>3-the bridge of Khazad dum<BR>4-the intro of the breaking of the fellowship

Nee, ai****ara
Dare mo ga konna kodoku ni naru no?
stone of vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 11:53 AM   #28
Fingolfin of the Noldor
Haunting Spirit

Fingolfin of the Noldor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

1. The Bridge of Kazad-dum<BR>2. A Knife in the Dark<BR>3. Amon Hen<BR>4. The Breaking of the Fellowship<BR>5.
Old 06-16-2002, 12:17 PM   #29
shieldmaiden
Wight

shieldmaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I like "The Council of Elrond" because of "Aniron" and because that's where we hear the fellowship theme in it's full glory for the first time.<BR>I like "The Bridge of Khazad Dum" becouse of that part when Gandalf falls.<BR>The one part of mysic that I like the most is the one that hasn't been put in the movie - the music we hear when Isildur floats dead in the river, pierced by many orc arrows.<p>[ June 16, 2002: Message edited by: shieldmaiden ]
Old 06-19-2002, 02:14 PM   #30
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Just because they didn't, doesn't make it right,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Make it "right"? That's a bit misleading. You mean simply that it is not in accordance with the strict rules that you've been taught as a classically trained vocalist. However, these "rules" are only traditional rules, dating back a long time ago. One who is so well-versed in the rules (to be comissioned to do a soundtrack is a good indication of this) like those involved with the soundtrack know when it's okay and how to bend the rules. The soundtrack is not expected to follow the 'rules' of a classical symphony in sonata form just as much as a jazz trumpet player using the ascending melodic minor scale up and down isn't.<P>I also brought up the diction/pronunciation thing only to say that you using the word 'diction' here is confusing to those looking on that are not versed in formal music training, and that when they use 'pronunciation,' they mean the same thing you do.<p>[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: Legalos ]
Old 06-19-2002, 02:21 PM   #31
Naaramare
Wight

Tolkien

Ah, but we're not talking about a jazz piece here, hence the reason I'm not even touching the flaws in Enya's voice/diction/tone/etc. "In Dreams" is of a style of music which <I>is</I> governed by the strict rules I've been taught. There's no real reason not to have the soprano's diction perfect; the style demands it, and the disparity makes the words to the song unclear.<P>Do not mistake me: I adore the soundtrack. Indeed, I don't consider it a soundtrack (which, for the most part, I dislike to listen to by themselves) but a romantic symphony in it's own right. (I use romantic in terms of the musical period, not of romance).<P>And I'm aware that the first time I used diction it was confusing. Hence the reason I clarified.<p>[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: Naaramare ]

Old 06-19-2002, 07:47 PM   #32
Elenya
Haunting Spirit

Location: See that mound of earth? No, no, the one to the left.....There you go
Elenya has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenya
Silmaril

One of the things I love about the soundtrack is the drums. In Concerning Hobbits, and The Breaking of The Fellowship, you can hear irish drums in the background, and I think that adds so much. My favorite track is 13, I can picture everything going on, and the boy singing at the very end is so beautiful. It's one of the few songs that bring me to tears. Amon Hen is another good track, especially at the part where that Uruk-Hai is shooting Boromir. I love the entire soundtrack, and I can't wait for the other two.
Old 06-19-2002, 11:19 PM   #33
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Ah, but we're not talking about a jazz piece here, hence the reason I'm not even touching the flaws in Enya's voice/diction/tone/etc. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I didn't say it was a jazz piece. It is, however, not a classical piece and should not be criticized as one, just like any soundtrack piece shouldn't be (not classical as in the era, but classical in the broad genre apart from popular music).<P>I think I'll just agree to disagree here, though.<p>[ June 20, 2002: Message edited by: Legalos ]
Old 06-20-2002, 12:05 AM   #34
Kalla
Haunting Spirit

Kalla has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Odd...I thought the diction fine for a choir boy. I actually rather liked the purity of the voice actually, finding it suiting to the innocence that is lost. I thought his voice was meant to blend into the chorus and fade away. Besides...I think it fits quite well with what the character of the music...sweet, innocent and simple, not burdened down with all the laws of music and theory...just free and pure. *Shrug* Just my opinion though.<P>As for me...I loved concerning hobbits and the piece with the choir/orchestra at the end, before may it be (do not have the CD cover with me at the moment) I love the instrumentation in concerning hobbits...I just think they capture a hobbit perfectly. As for the orchestra and choir...my thoughts on the choir are above, but the orchestra...I loved how it was composed. Starting out simple and then building with the brass, then releasing into the strings...I love it! *sigh* Course, it's some certain professors' fault that I cannot listen to music any longer without hearing things differently than I would have before. Nothing like being at a conference and hearing a heater humming at a certain pitch and then trying first to guess what pitch and then building chords off of it with your fellow classmates. Course...maybe that's just us...lol. Anyway, hope my warped mind managed to produce some coherent form of opinion.

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Kalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 12:17 AM   #35
Kalla
Haunting Spirit

Kalla has just left Hobbiton.
Ok, so sometimes I'm a bit retentive and having said actually twice in the same sentence bothers me, so...let me reword that sentence. <P>I actually liked the purity of the voice, finding it rather suiting to the innocence that is lost.<P>

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Kalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 01:06 AM   #36
Bramblerose Gamgee-Took
Haunting Spirit

Bramblerose Gamgee-Took has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

My favourite songs are "Many Meetings", "The Breaking of the Fellowship" and "Concerning Hobbits". I dont like the "Lothlorien" one, it scares me
Bramblerose Gamgee-Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 01:53 AM   #37
orlandoandsaran
Haunting Spirit

orlandoandsaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to orlandoandsaran
Shield

Like Bramblerose said, Lothlorien scares me..<BR>But the best song is definitely Concerning Hobbits, May It be and The Breaking of the Fellowship.<BR>At the end of the song of The Breaking of the Fellowship, someone starts to sing...I love that song!
Old 06-20-2002, 01:56 AM   #38
orlandoandsaran
Haunting Spirit

orlandoandsaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to orlandoandsaran
Shield

While I was reading the LOTR book again... I could imagine the music.....ahh....such heaven.
Old 06-20-2002, 04:18 AM   #39
Glenethor
Wight

Glenethor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<B>Lothlorien.</B> I think it is the most original piece on the CD, and after the fall of Gandalf and entry into the Dreamflower, appropriately spooky. I still listen to this CD almost everyday, and I bought it the first week of January. I am not a huge fan of movie soundtracks, and have never bought one before this one. For a while, I streamed it off the official site, and then I decided to get the CD because I wanted to hear it as it should be played...<B>LOUD!</B>. Heaven knows what my neighbours think!<BR> <P>Howard Shore really did a fine job on this. It will probably be the work he will be remembered for. He definitely deserved the Oscar.

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Glenethor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 05:35 PM   #40
Naaramare
Wight

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I actually liked the purity of the voice, finding it rather suiting to the innocence that is lost. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>*L* Apparently I'm not making myself as clear as I should. His voice (tone, colour, range and purity) is absolutely gorgeous. I just get annoyed with the way he drops the d's and m's half the time. ^~