The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-11-2003, 05:35 PM   #1
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Gilthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting The South (Farthing) Shall Rise Again!

I see all these other regional Barrow-Downs associations forming up out there! Well what about the good old Southern U.S. of A.?

Down here in the South (Farthing) we've got the best food, the best music, the best climate, the prettiest lasses, the brawniest lads, and the most humility!

You folk hailing from the South (Farthing), even you transplants, don't be shy! Let's hear from you!

As for me, my little hole is in Mobile, Alabama, where this February day was sunny and quite comfortable!

The Mrs and I went to see THE TWO TOWERS (again) at the matinee yesterday. Only two others in the whole theatre, so we didn't make out (much) and did enjoy the entire movie (again).
Old 02-11-2003, 06:46 PM   #2
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
1420!

Does Durham, North Carolina count?

Every other lass or lad outside the university walls has a drawl.

See, the cool thing about a place like Alabama must at least be the fact that you people don't there are not freezing to death and walking around with chapped lips like we are.

So hurrah to the (real) South. Not "my" South, but Gil's South.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:31 PM   #3
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Silmaril

One of the things that makes Texas interesting is how it is so difficult to be categorized. Is Texas part of the Midwest? South? Southwest?

I've been haunting the Midwest thread for a while, but most of what response there has been concerns Nebraska and Minnesota. That's pretty darn far from Texas!

Anyway Gil, thanks for starting this discussion. I must admit, as a Civil War re-enactor your title elicited a grin, a laugh, and a visit. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2003, 11:06 PM   #4
Sleeping Beauty
Wight

Location: Somewhere between the back of the chair and the monitor
Sleeping Beauty has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via MSN to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via Yahoo to Sleeping Beauty
Tolkien

Gilthalion, another Alabamian! It's good to know there are more of us out there. ^_^ As of the temperature, it's been a nice sultry 60 here around Tuscaloosa. At the moment all my windows are open. *sulks* And I was hoping for a good cold winter... Thanks for the good topic. Hopefully you shall hear from some more Southern-drawlers soon... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2003, 03:23 PM   #5
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well Lush, it should. I'm from Winston-Salem North Carolina myself, and I have quite a few rednecks at my school that use "the south will rise again" as their official quote. I'm originally from the north, but I don't mind the southern talk too much.

But hey, you gotta love the south though. I've been to quite many states in the south and I have to say my favorite would be Georgia. I love it down there.

But yeah, Gilthalion has it best down there in Alabama. {Sweet Home Alabama suddenly comes back to mind.} Is it anything like that down there, Gilth? Like the movie, I mean.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 06:35 PM   #6
onewhitetree
Seeker of Syntax

onewhitetree has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to onewhitetree
Sting

Did I hear a professed love for Georgia somewhere? Oh how the sound doth ring in my ears liken to a thousand cow bells. Raised in Atlanta, residing in Savannah, I must say that I have a fondness for the peach state myself (ironically, S. Carolina produces more of the fuzzy bounty than we do). Since I am pretty central, I'd be willing to go pretty much anywhere in the region, considering time, of course. Let the drawl-fest begin, y'all.

Well, I'M BACK.
onewhitetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 07:34 PM   #7
Lush
Fair and Cold

Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

Quote:
Down here in the South (Farthing) we've got the best food, the best music, the best climate, the prettiest lasses, the brawniest lads, and the most humility!
I dunno about the humility part anymore, Gil. I mean, I'm sure the South used to have the most humility on this hemisphere, until I moved here and single-handedly lowered the humility levels in North Carolina and all its neighboring states. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Though I'm sure Alabama will hold out.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:15 AM   #8
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Pipe

I purely hate to brag on our humility, but as a dear old gammer once told me, "It's a poor rooster what won't do his own crowin'!"

(P.S. Did I forget to mention we have the best college football?)

North Carolina surely counts, Miss Lush, 'specially for you, seein' as how you're said to be purty enough to be an honorary southern belle! You sure you don't have Confederate ancestry?

I haven't seen Sweet Home Alabama yet, but I've heard it's a good movie. I cannot vouch for its authenticity.

Texas is definitely a part of the South, seein' as how it was a part of the old C.S. of A. (Matter of fact, according to the terms under which Texas entered the Union, the legal fact of its succession would have been even less likely to survive a court challenge than the rest of the South.)

I reckon we mostly think of the Deep South or the Old South or the South-eastern US when we think of "The South."

I've never done any Civil War reinacting myself, though I've been to a few events. Amazin' job you folks do. It's a worthy part of American History, and the good and the bad on both sides should be remembered for posterity's sake.

Meanwhile, I've got to freshen my coffee! It's been a deeelight!
Old 02-15-2003, 04:06 AM   #9
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Southern by birth, Georgian by the Grace of God!

I live down in Albany - not far from the Fl line nor the Alabama line (about 1 1/2 from each). Got family over in Dothan and Andalusia, Al.

Today was a nice 71 degrees. Love the South! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 10:21 AM   #10
onewhitetree
Seeker of Syntax

onewhitetree has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to onewhitetree
Sting

Small world...my roommate is from Albany. What median location do you all think is best? Atlanta, maybe?

Well, I'M BACK.
onewhitetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 12:59 PM   #11
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

I have cossins in Atlanta, which is cool. But come on y'all, New Orleans, need I say more? Who can say no to good New Orlenas Gumbo?
Old 02-15-2003, 06:40 PM   #12
Lush
Fair and Cold

Sting

Quote:
North Carolina surely counts, Miss Lush, 'specially for you, seein' as how you're said to be purty enough to be an honorary southern belle!
*blushes dumbly*

Well, I'm only actually purty on my good days, and today is definitely not one of them, neither was the day that my prom picture (the one on Alkanoonion's website) a good one. Oh well.

Quote:
You sure you don't have Confederate ancestry?
None that I know of, although there are a few wildcards in my ancestry for sure. Officially, I am 7/8 Slavic and 1/8 German, which makes me more of the waifish poster-girl for a tripped-out MaxMara ad than a southern belle, but I will wear my honorary badge with pride nevertheless.

So three cheers for the South. Though, unlike some of you lucky people living way down there, North Carolina is about to get hit with another ice storm tonight. And I thought we were done.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:14 AM   #13
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

BW, Sharku, Mr Underhill and I have been monitoring this thread and others like it. While we understand why members would want to meet one another, we are a bit concerned and wish to emphasize that care must be taken if you choose to arrange such a meeting.

First, the Barrow-Downs itself is not involved in organizing such meetings and does not intend to be in the future. These meetings are arranged by individuals or groups of individuals and we take no responsibility for the outcome. The decision to meet is made by individual members at their own risk. We are not providing transportation, accomodations or security and are not involved in the choice of locale or the agenda.

If you choose to meet, individually or in groups, please think it through, plan carefully and be careful! Meet in public with other persons present. Make sure that others know where you are going and who you are meeting. Think twice before providing personal information to other members such as e-mail addresses, telephone numbers or home addresses and do not send anyone money or credit card information.

We're sorry to throw a wet blanket over this but we are concerned about peoples' safety and want to emphasize that this is not an "official", sanctioned event sponsored by the Barrow-Downs. If you choose to meet, good luck and we hope that you enjoy yourselves. But please be careful!
Old 08-01-2003, 04:28 PM   #14
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Pipe

Don't worry about it Mith! As we can tell by the post dates on this here thread, we'uns is too lazy to get together for much of anything, besides it bein' mighty hot right now and all...

...unless we get invaded again by goblins from the North, that is.

(UNOFFICIAL LEGAL DISCLAIMER: No actual goblins were harmed in the making of this post. Any resemblance between Goblins, Orcs, Trolls, or any other hideous minions of Darkness and Yankees, Scallawags, Carpetbaggers or any other industrial or banking interest is purely intentional and completely unavoidable. Reader discretion is advised. Opinions expressed are those of the participants and not necessarily shared by the staff and management of this facility, though they ought to be. Paid political advertisement paid for by the Bree for Breefolk Ballot Initiative Campaign, Heather Butterbur Chairwoman. Have a nice day.)