The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2015, 08:30 PM   #1
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Timeline of LotR and the Church Calendar

This topic has bounced around vaguely in the back of my mind for some time, perhaps for two reasons: 1) Having grown up in a church that paid close heed to the church calendar, it is something I have always been very aware of with the changing seasons (and Tolkien being Catholic, I would imagine would have a similar awareness), and 2) I began reading FotR for the first time on the morning of Good Friday, so it is perhaps inevitable that LotR should be linked in my mind to Easter.

So finally, I decided to sit down and figure out if there was any more to my vague feelings than the fact that the Fellowship set out from Rivendell on Christmas and that the Ring was destroyed in the spring, a generally Easter-ish time of year, and I actually did come up with some things that I thought were at least interesting enough to share... you all can be the judge of if and where I'm reading too much into things.

So first, obviously, is the fact that the Fellowship sets out on December 25th, and if it wasn't for that I probably would have thought no further of the topic. The church calendar actually begins at the beginning of December though with Advent - a time of preparation and waiting, which is exactly how the members of the Fellowship spent their time in Rivendell before setting out. (I freely admit, this is very loose, but I'm trying to be comprehensive.)

Here's where it gets interesting though. Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent, takes place on the first Wednesday after the second full moon of the New Year. Then follows "40 days" of Lent (Lent is always described as having 40 days, though this actually doesn't count any Sundays between Ash Wednesday and Easter, so it's technically 46 days long...) - I don't know who decided this but 40 is a number with a lot of Biblical significance (Israelites wandering in the desert for 40 years, Jesus spent 40 days fasting in the desert...). But I digress.

According to Sam in The Great River,
Quote:
"The Moon's the same in the Shire and in Wilderland, or it ought to be. But either it's out of it's running, or I'm all wrong in my reckoning. You'll remember, Mr. Frodo, the Moon was waning as we lay on the flet up in that tree: a week from the full, I reckon. And we'd been a week on the way last night, when up pops a New Moon as thin as a nail-paring, as if we had never stayed no time in the Elvish country."
This places full moons at about January 8 (about 1 week before the Fellowship reaches Lorien on Jan 15) and February 9 (about two weeks prior to Sam's New Moon on February 23)... the dates don't work out perfectly, though, since Jan. 8 and Feb. 9 are 31 days apart by the Middle-earth calendar... so I'd guess a couple days of fudge room from Sam's "a week from full" maybe being a couple days off of that, and then maybe one day because if Sam saw a sliver on the night of the 23rd, the real New Moon (night with no moon) would be the 22nd? So Full Moons on Jan 10 and Feb 8. Anyway, about a week after that second New Moon the Fellowship is leaving Lorien, and counting inclusively from their departure from Lorien to March 25, it's a very convenient 40 days, placing the destruction of the Ring at the point when Easter would occur.

Thematically this works well in comparison with the church calendar as well; right before Lent, Jesus' Transfiguration is celebrated, sort of a mini high point in between Christmas and Easter, just as I would say Lothlorien is a bit of a high point along an otherwise rather dark road. Gandalf's return to life and the Mirror of Galadriel both occur right before the Fellowship's departure from Lorien - perhaps compare Gandalf's resurrection/transformation to Jesus' glorification on the mountain, and the revelations to Sam and Frodo in the mirror to the wonder of the disciples?

I'm not trying to suggest an allegorical relationship between the two in any way here (the plots are too obviously dissimilar and I wouldn't even begin to try making 1:1 analogies...), only trying to point out the way the narrative arc follows a similar timeline/thematic structure. And if you think I'm stretching this entirely too far feel free to say so... I've freely admitted my own background and biases, but it seemed like there was enough here to at least merit comment.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:14 AM   #2
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
According to Tolkien's final chronology, the full moon occurred on (S.R.) Jan 8, Feb 8 and Mar 8. He wasn't being lazy, he was using the lunar calendar of 1942, advanced 5 days and converted to Shire Reckoning, and it happened that the January full moon happened not long before midnight, almost on the 9th, and that of March was just after midnight on the 8th, just missing the 7th (as in the opening of Minas Tirith, when Pippin sees the moonrise from the back of Shadowfax. (Since a lunar month is slightly more than 29.5 days, the divergence over two thirty-day months is a bit less than 24 hours)

Tolkien spent a LOT of time getting his calendar right, and the lunar issue was an additional problem every time he adjusted his timeline, which didn't reach its final form until well after the book was finished (and naturally required some rewriting). The full moon of (eventually) March 8 was the linchpin of his synchronization- the marker for the Muster of Rohan, the moon Pippin saw from Shadowfax and Frodo from Henneth Annun.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Thanks for the clarification... didn't realize the Middle-earth lunar cycle was longer than ours.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:04 AM   #4
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
March 25 was very deliberately chosen, in part I think because Tolkien had already had the party depart from Rivendell on Dec 25 originally due to an accident of mathematics ("Christian and indeed Catholic story, unconsciously in the writing but consciously so in the revision") There are notes which show JRRT working out the timeline of events after the Pelennor backwards from March 25, a sure indication that he wanted the climax to occur on that date.

March 25 has huge associations. Most know, I guess, that it was the Julian Calendar New Year (cf Aragorn beginning new King's Reckoning with March 25). It is also the Feast of the Annunciation (9 months before Christmas), an event and feast which were enormously important to Tolkien personally.* In the English Middle Ages it was "Lady Day," a quarter-day and an important day in terms of when rents and taxes were due.

Medieval tradition held that March 25 was the date of the Crucifixion- and note that Frodo passes through near-death on that day to arise again (in particular note Sam's comments).

Going further back, March 25 roughly represents the spring equinox the same way Christmas does the winter solstice, and in terms of Tolkien's tale represents the progress from the darkest day of winter to "to a brilliant Spring."

----------------------
*To Tolkien's mind (and heart), the Incarnation was more important even than the Resurrection

Last edited by William Cloud Hicklin; 12-16-2015 at 11:53 AM.
William Cloud Hicklin is offline   Reply With Quote